Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I just linked to a ****in column and straight away the mob attacked. Forget it.

Sounds like you need a hug. The big bad people on the interwebs are out to get you. Top tip: Go out into the sun, get some exercise and vitamin D. It will help you feel a lot more cheerful like the rest of us :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,174 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

I just linked to a ****in column and made a bunch of one liners at people then ran out of anything substantial to say. Forget it.

FYP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

But they choose not to save her, therefore killing her.
    I do get you, but the issue is more that about Ireland being a Catholic country (and so some laws being impacted as such), while these are doctors in a Catholic country... not necessarily Catholics themselves. So by that basis, they're fine to break Catholic laws, just not Irish laws influenced by Catholicism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,973 ✭✭✭spookwoman

I just linked to a ****in column and straight away the mob attacked. Forget it.

Ah diddums have a booboo.
    giphy.gif

Billy86 wrote: »
    I do get you, but the issue is more that about Ireland being a Catholic country (and so some laws being impacted as such), while these are doctors in a Catholic country... not necessarily Catholics themselves. So by that basis, they're fine to break Catholic laws, just not Irish laws influenced by Catholicism.

I get what you are saying. Anyway, if they are catholic, they just need to go to confession and all is forgiven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭LorelaiG

Icbr back outside maternity hospital this evening what exactly are they hoping to achieve.

spookwoman wrote: »
    Ah diddums have a booboo.
    giphy.gif

It wasn’t even an interesting looking article, and he never said what he found interesting. All I read in it was me me me I’m great so humble me me waffle waffle waffle words words words wordcount wordcount word count pay me pay me pay me waffle waffle waffle sophomoric word salad aaaand flourish

• Registered Users Posts: 11,971 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

LorelaiG wrote: »
    Icbr back outside maternity hospital this evening what exactly are they hoping to achieve.

Trying to get over their blue balls after getting blacklisted by the van rental industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,348 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Overheal wrote: »
    It wasn’t even an interesting looking article, and he never said what he found interesting. All I read in it was me me me I’m great so humble me me waffle waffle waffle words words words wordcount wordcount word count pay me pay me pay me waffle waffle waffle sophomoric word salad aaaand flourish

The most interesting part of the article for me was that he describes the younger version of himself as being actively pro abortion, in the sense he was not all that interested in choice.... so much as he wanted as many abortions to be happening as possible. He basically described a hatred of children.

No pro choice person I have ever worked with, met, or talked with on or off line held that position. And it sounds like the lesser Hitchens is basing his anti abortion stance on nothing more than a reactionary hatred of his own earlier self.

I got to the "But the operation of that law, and the hecatombs of unborn babies destroyed since" and my eyes glazed over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,857 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

No I'm not.

what-you-gonna-do-1.jpg

Other than posts links on an Internet forum to dyspeptic screeds by like-minded foreign commentators...

So they are protesting against pregnant women who are in having babies because they want them to have babies? I'm confused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

So they are protesting against pregnant women who are in having babies because they want them to have babies? I'm confused.

So are the ICBR tbf. Radical Queers Resist are already there covering up their banners.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Movementarian

Those babies they are having will grow up to have abortions and no babies will be born from those babies so the women shouldnt have babies and thats why they are protesting.

Its pretty straightforward!!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

Water John wrote: »
    Martin took a big, political risk. If No won, he was gone, as leader of FF.
    Don't be reconstructing what he did, through the prism, of hindsight.

Yeah big gamble, I mean what a huge risk supporting a liberal position in a country flowing with liberals with no conservative parties representing any conservatives. He is a genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

What of them? They were outvoted. Massively.

That they were outvoted in no way negates why I cited them. It's an irrelevancy.

But then, irrelevances are the hallmark of your posts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They were outside the Dail at lunchtime.

I think GNIB should be having a very close look at their immigration status.

Scrap the cap!

Taytoland wrote: »
    Yeah big gamble, I mean what a huge risk supporting a liberal position in a country flowing with liberals with no conservative parties representing any conservatives. He is a genius.

There ara good few conservative and right wing parties Renua, The National Party etc. The fact that they have failed to actually attract any real support says more about their policies and the intelligence of the country as a whole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It wasn’t even an interesting looking article, and he never said what he found interesting.

It's Peter Hitchens ffs. Think a more coherent but no more sensible John Waters.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement

That they were outvoted in no way negates why I cited them. It's an irrelevancy.

Nope the irrelevancy was yours because I was not trying to "negate" anything so you are replying to my post, but answering one that only exists in your head.

You specifically asked "What about these people" and I answered that. What about them. They are there, they exist, they were outvoted because they, like yourself, could not construct any moral or ethical arguments to sway the majority.

So what about them indeed. They should back to the drawing board forthwith and come up with the arguments that they lacked this time around.... and have another go at the process. That is what a free speech democracy means.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Taytoland

DubInMeath wrote: »

There ara good few conservative and right wing parties Renua, The National Party etc. The fact that they have failed to actually attract any  real support says more about their policies and  the intelligence of the country as a whole.
    Mainstream parties. None at all from what I can see.

Nope the irrelevancy was yours because I was not trying to "negate" anything so you are replying to my post, but answering one that only exists in your head.

You specifically asked "What about these people" and I answered that. What about them. They are there, they exist, they were outvoted because they, like yourself, could not construct any moral or ethical arguments to sway the majority.

So what about them indeed. They should back to the drawing board forthwith and come up with the arguments that they lacked this time around.... and have another go at the process. That is what a free speech democracy means.

Well the no campaign started with no abortion for anyone including victims of rape, incest and FFA.
    Then in the week of the vote and seeing that such a stance was backfiring on them they started saying once the referendum went their way they would purpose amendments for rape and FFA.
    People seen this for the bull that it was and since then their bitterness at the result has shown that it was just bull and a last minute attempt to try and win over any undecided voters that they were never going to fulfill.

Mainstream parties. None at all from what I can see.

Well again that's the fault of the parties and the intelligence of the population.

Again in terms of liberalism we're not exactly France, Holland or the Nordic countries either.

Plenty of financial conservatism in the mainstream parties and some social conservative members.

And lies are a hallmark of yours. Not sure you want to play the attack the poster game.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

The way the Icbr went about their campaigning pre referendum day turning up outside maternity hospitals done the no side a disservice & didn,t win over many people to their side of the argument.

While I support people,s right to peaceful protest & campaign etc, I really hoped they would of learned from the high per % in the yes side how counter productive their past actions were & go about any future campaigning in a different way.

And lies are a hallmark of yours. Not sure you want to play the attack the poster game.

Saying that someone's posts are littered with irrelevances is attack on the content of their posts, not them as a person (and it was in reference to posts on this topic by the way).

Interested to know what 'lies' it is you feel I have posted though.

Saying that someone's posts are littered with irrelevances is attack on the content of their posts, not them as a person.

But calling things irrelevancies without actually arguing as to how and why they are irrelevancies is neither an attack on the person OR the post. It is just flinging words like spaghetti at a wall and hoping some of them stick.

Your own posts are actually the ones littered with irrelevancies, like studies about moving tongues. The difference however is that I did not at ANY point merely scream "irrelevancies" at those posts. I stopped and took the time to explain exactly why they are irrelevancies. You just ignored those posts.

This is no small difference, would that you would try it sometime.

Saying that someone's posts are littered with irrelevances is attack on the content of their posts, not them as a person (and it was in reference to posts on this topic by the way).

Interested to know what 'lies' it is you feel I have posted though.

I addressed that in my previous reply to you, you may have ignored it: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107132168&postcount=4525

...because there was a heart beat they did not perform an abortion as requested.

There was certainly an emphasis on not intervening when there was a heartbeat detected but that was when the consultant was unaware of the sepsis diagnosis. When that diagnosis was made and the results relayed to her, a termination was ordered. Indeed, many other consultants have said that while the 8th impacted on their judgement (it was designed to after all) they felt it never hindered them and they were always able to terminate pregnancies if they felt they needed to. Many that were due to severe sepsis in fact.

Saying that the 8th caused Savita's death is overlooking just how poorly she was treated and how inept her care was:

psimerge77.jpg

• Advertisement

There was certainly an emphasis on not intervening when there was a heartbeat detected but that was when the consultant was unaware of the sepsis diagnosis. When that diagnosis was made and the results relayed to her, a termination was ordered. Indeed, many other consultants have said that while the 8th impacted on their judgement (it was designed to after all) they felt it never hindered them and they were always able to terminate pregnancies if they felt they needed to. Many that were due to severe sepsis in fact.

Saying that the 8th caused Savita's death is overlooking just how poorly she was treated and how inept her care was:

So again, early that morning, sepsis was already suspected and Chorioamnionitis already diagnosed:
    Chorioamnionitis is a bacterial infection of the fetal membranes, which can be life-threatening to both mother and fetus. Women with PROM at any age are at high risk of infection because the membranes are open and allow bacteria to enter. Women are checked often (usually every 4 hours) for signs of infection: fever ( > 38 °C/100.5 °F), uterine pain, fast maternal heart rate (>100 beats per minute), fast fetal heart rate (>160 beats per minute), or foul-smelling amniotic fluid.[6] Elevated white blood cells are not a good way to predict infection because they are normally high in labor.[4] If infection is suspected, artificial induction of labor is started at any gestational age and broad antibiotics are given. Caesarean section should not be automatically done in cases of infection, and should only be reserved for the usual fetal emergencies.[4]

In any other setting, with the water broke at 17 weeks, bacterial infection and the clear suspicion of sepsis, she should have received a termination almost 8 hours sooner. I'm not even sure what the staff was thinking with her water broke at 17 weeks - except to say that 'it is illegal to abort in this country while there is a fetal heartbeat.'

I'm not sure what else has to be said about this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

psimerge77.jpg

Don't go waving your facts around here as if logic somehow permeates the thick gooey membrane of group think that surrounds this echo chamber. I've found that when you really stick it to them they move onto another topic and ignore you...

Glazers Out!

nullzero wrote: »
    Don't go waving your facts around here as if logic somehow permeates the thick gooey membrane of group think that surrounds this echo chamber. I've found that when you really stick it to them they move onto another topic and ignore you...

What topic are you talking about? Please, get us back to it!

Y'all want to keep talking about Savita when it's all right there in print, these dumb ****s at the hospital were programmed into believing the 8th prevented them from helping the woman. You can cry about their poor judgement all day, but without that amendment in the Constitution, those dumb saps wouldn't have thought that, and they would have given Savita due care. I don't think that is in refute.

Now, please, get us back to whatever topic you feel the echo chamber has aborted!

When was she told she was going to have an inevitable and pending miscarriage?
    Sunday the 21st.

When did her membranes brake?
    Monday 22 just after midnight.

When did she Miscarry?
    Wednesday 24 evening she finally miscarried.

Why did she get sepsis?
    Because she was having a miscarriage and her cervix was open for 2 friggin' days!

Why did they not give her a termination when they knew she was having an inevitable and pending miscarriage?
    Because of a heart beat and the 8th equal life to mother and foetus.

You don't need to be a doctor to know prevention is better than cure and you don't leave something in that is going to be a serious cause of infection.

I keep saying this but you wont listen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,603 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

PressRun wrote: »
    Interesting to see the breakdown of how people voted and why, and also interestong to see that many people had made up their minds on this issue a long time ago. Makes it seem strange now that Leo Varadkar and Simon Harris are front and centre of a lot of the media coverage on this. They dragged their heels on this referendum for quite a long time, particularly Varadkar. Harris also courted pro-life groups when trying to get elected. I know people change, especially when they are in full possession of the facts, but I find it bizarre that two men who for a long time didn't even want this referendum to happen are now being patted on the back for it. Surely more credit should be given to the people on the ground.

I think Simon Harris thinks he won the yes vote single handed :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

psimerge77.jpg

At what time / date did she request a termination ?

I don't remember you posting any facts during your 34 posts on here, most were just short posts designed to try and piss people off in my opinion. Your last few before today were around the fact that apparently your wife didn't inform herself of the issue and preferred to watch reality tv rather than the debates on the subject and then voted yes because it was the popular stance.

I can double check all your posts to the thread but if you want to actually highlight the ones where you provided facts, then please do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

psimerge77.jpg
    Please let this poor woman rest in peace and her family have the compassion that they deserve and stop using this to justify the no vote, the vote has taken place in a democratic way and all the people have had their say as they are in titled to have and let’s move forward with the best possible law to protect women. In my view abortion will not become widespread due to women being so educated today and in control of their life. My 13 daughter had her own opinions on the referendum and which I discussed and listened to and totally understand and respect and this is the key respect women to make their choice.

The way the Icbr went about their campaigning pre referendum day turning up outside maternity hospitals done the no side a disservice & didn,t win over many people to their side of the argument.

While I support people,s right to peaceful protest & campaign etc, I really hoped they would of learned from the high per % in the yes side how counter productive their past actions were & go about any future campaigning in a different way.

Yep the no campaign was a little bit toxic enough without them, and they just brought it down another level with some posters on here saying sure their just telling the truth.

Extremists don't care about public opinion as they see it their doing the right thing and everyone is wrong, same with any other form of extremists.

Look at westboro, if we were to believe them God hates the whole world except for them.

• Advertisement

I wonder if some people also just get addicted to the buzz or exhilaration or whatever it is they get by causing the deepest level of upset and offence and aggression they can in the most amount of people. The adrenaline rush of conflict when people rush over to scream abuse and hostility at them for their base and fetid and contrived little actions.

And like any drug they have to escalate the dosage to get the same high. Just like westboro going to picket funerals being about as low as you can get......... some people showing pictures of a dead fetus where pregnant women already stressed about their pregnancy.......... or mourning women who have miscarried or had a still birth...... will see them........ is just these people looking for their next high that they get when the public rush over to scream angrily in their faces.

I fear for what their next move will be when they start getting accustomed to this dosage and they need to escalate again. What have the westboro people done since targeting mourners at funerals?

Please let this poor woman rest in peace and her family have the compassion that they deserve and stop using this to justify the no vote, the vote has taken place in a democratic way and all the people have had their say as they are in titled to have and let’s move forward with the best possible law to protect women. In my view abortion will not become widespread due to women being so educated today and in control of their life. My 13 daughter had her own opinions on the referendum and which I discussed and listened to and totally understand and respect and this is the key respect women to make their choice.

Not going to happen unfortunately at least not for some time. Her death was a catalyst for actually getting the referendum which they fought against happening in the first place and since they have lost the refurendum, their bitterness just won't let them let it go by clinging to one report that doesn't mention the 8th while ignoring the independent review of her case shows quite clearly that it did.

I wonder if some people also just get addicted to the buzz or exhilaration or whatever it is they get by causing the deepest level of upset and offence and aggression they can in the most amount of people. The adrenaline rush of conflict when people rush over to scream abuse and hostility at them for their base and fetid and contrived little actions.

And like any drug they have to escalate the dosage to get the same high. Just like westboro going to picket funerals being about as low as you can get......... some people showing pictures of a dead fetus where pregnant women already stressed about their pregnancy.......... or mourning women who have miscarried or had a still birth...... will see them........ is just these people looking for their next high that they get when the public rush over to scream angrily in their faces.

I fear for what their next move will be when they start getting accustomed to this dosage and they need to escalate again. What have the westboro people done since targeting mourners at funerals?

Apart from physically attacking police and members of the gay community you mean?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

psimerge77.jpg

gctest50 wrote: »

At what time / date did she request a termination ?

nm

When the patient and her husband enquired about the possibility of having a termination, this
    was not offered or considered possible by the clinical team until the

afternoon of the 24th of October

due to their assessment of the legal context in which their clinical professional
    judgement was to be exercised. The Irish constitution Article 40.3.3 (as inserted by the eight amendment in 1983) states that: ‘the state acknowledges the right to life of the un
    born and, with due regard to the equal right to life of the mother, guarantees in its laws to respect, and, as far as practicable, by its laws to defend and vindicate that right’

https://www.hse.ie/eng/services/news/nimtreport50278.pdf

Apart from physically attacking police and members of the gay community you mean?

Well I meant more at the level of emotional attacks rather than physical ones, but yes we have to hope that this is not the escalation direction our local version of them decides to take. If they have not been already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

I don't remember you posting any facts during your 34 posts on here, most were just short posts designed to try and piss people off in my opinion. Your last few before today were around the fact that apparently your wife didn't inform herself of the issue and preferred to watch reality tv rather than the debates on the subject and then voted yes because it was the popular stance.

I can double check all your posts to the thread but if you want to actually highlight the ones where you provided facts, then please do.

That's complete nonsense.
    If my posts pissed you off it's because shock horror, my opinion was different to yours.
    The notion that I haven't "provided facts" is a ridiculous one.
    I'm sure you won't check my posts for clarity because it will show your complete ignorance of the reality of the situation.
    I see you have collected a nice amount of thanks for your tirade against me, from the usual people who share your penchant for rash judgement and intolerance of differing opinions.
    My last post on this thread was in reply to a post made by Overheal about the gender pay gap, in which he provided a link to an article on the journal which he felt repudiated my claim that the notion of a gender pay gap is exaggerated. The article itself contradicted what he was saying and I pointed out the facts to him which he ignored in favour of having an argument with a poster called The Golden Miller.
    Essentially he was made to look foolish and so avoided any further discussion to post more argumentative nonsense on an unrelated topic.
    Overheal is a bully, and I'm simply highlighting that fact and to be completely honest you're not a particularly pleasant individual either.
    The quicker people here learn to accept that people have differing opinions and deal with that like adults the better.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

When was she told she was going to have an inevitable and pending miscarriage?
    Sunday the 21st.

When did her membranes brake?
    Monday 22 just after midnight.

When did she Miscarry?
    Wednesday 24 evening she finally miscarried.

Why did she get sepsis?
    Because she was having a miscarriage and her cervix was open for 2 friggin' days!

Why did they not give her a termination when they knew she was having an inevitable and pending miscarriage?
    Because of a heart beat and the 8th equal life to mother and foetus.

You don't need to be a doctor to know prevention is better than cure and you don't leave something in that is going to be a serious cause of infection.

I keep saying this but you wont listen

Yes. YES!

In my early 20s, I was perilously close to developing sepsis because of an extremely severe, undiagnosed, deep-seated infection. I’ll never forget my hospital registrar’s relief that I got myself to A&E when I did. He said that even in a young person such as myself, death from sepsis can come quickly even WITH treatment being given prompty. Sepsis is incredibly dangerous and should be avoided at all costs.

She developed sepsis because her cervix was open for much longer than it should have been. Sepsis should never have developed and most likely wouldn’t have had she been given the termination when she asked for it. This is the view of both the independent medical examiner and Peter Boylan.

It’s very clear to me that the 8th amendment has a chilling effect on the treatment pregnant receive due to how confusing it is.

I also loathe the contention that we don’t give a shit about Savita and just used her to further our cause. People were deeply shocked by her needless death and it was a galvanising moment in Irish history. I think about her a lot actually. What would she be doing now? Building her career? Raising a family. But instead she’s not here.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

We can all agree it was a tragedy that needn't have happened

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Lori2018

I overheard one man saying “ imagine what it’ll be like when the HSE take over. There will probably be a ten month waiting list.”

That's complete nonsense.
    If my posts pissed you off it's because shock horror, my opinion was different to yours.
    The notion that I haven't "provided facts" is a ridiculous one.
    I'm sure you won't check my posts for clarity because it will show your complete ignorance of the reality of the situation.
    I see you have collected a nice amount of thanks for your tirade against me, from the usual people who share your penchant for rash judgement and intolerance of differing opinions.
    My last post on this thread was in reply to a post made by Overheal about the gender pay gap, in which he provided a link to an article on the journal which he felt repudiated my claim that the notion of a gender pay gap is exaggerated. The article itself contradicted what he was saying and I pointed out the facts to him which he ignored in favour of having an argument with a poster called The Golden Miller.
    Essentially he was made to look foolish and so avoided any further discussion to post more argumentative nonsense on an unrelated topic.
    Overheal is a bully, and I'm simply highlighting that fact and to be completely honest you're not a particularly pleasant individual either.
    The quicker people here learn to accept that people have differing opinions and deal with that like adults the better.

Your posts don't piss me off, so guess again they may piss some people off but hey maybe that's your style of writing, some of your posts actually gave me a giggle.

I did check your posts and not once could I find a link to data to back up what you said. As I said if you wanted to link to the post(s) where you did please do and I'll stand corrected.
    The closest I found was this one
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=107109362&postcount=3225

If you have a problem with Overheal, try the report button. You believe I'm not a particularly pleasant poster, well OK thats your opinion and again use the report button if I'm being an arsehole or posting anything thats a lie, trying to derail the thread etc.

Sure people have different opinions, but to say people are childish and are in an echo chamber when they argue with the same posters who after the refurendum are still posting the same sh*te as they did before the vote and igoring evidence to the contrary, is that not a little childish itself and ignoring that other people have differing opinions on your behalf.

The one thing that gets me about the Savita case is that if a woman is pregnant she is told many times that if her water brakes, she needs to get to the hospital as the longer her cervix is open, the more risk of sepsis and death. Basically, a delivery has to occur by any means to ensure her life is saved.

The 8th stopped this happening because the foetus wasn't past the stage where it had a high enough chance of surviving outside of the womb.

• Advertisement
Advertisement