Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 184km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

matban wrote: »
    I thought it was double, 2000ng/ml, limit is 1000.

I dont feel cheated, that was greatness today

2000 - 1000 = 1000 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

who is being cheated?? us watching it on our couch?? the riders in the pro peloton id imagine know what's going on with everyone, its a small community....very very few dont have question marks on them....but that's their business....i watch it because I'm a cyclist, I race at a decent amateur level and enjoy being entertained by the best in the world!!

I don't think today helps the sport, which is what ultimately matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Well, that's that. Can't see Dumoulin doing anything tomorrow - Sky have a superior team - and he looked as cooked as Froome on that climb.

50% of his time loss was on the descents. Froome quickly opened up a further 30 seconds over the top of the Finistre. Waiting for Riechanback and faffing about with Pinot didn't help either.

So as much as Froome was very strong, Dumoulin and co. not cooperating was as much the to answer for the time difference today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Well, that's that. Can't see Dumoulin doing anything tomorrow - Sky have a superior team - and he looked as cooked as Froome on that climb.

50% of his time loss was on the descents. Froome quickly opened up a further 30 seconds over the top of the Finistre. Waiting for Riechanback and faffing about with Pinot didn't help either.

So as much as Froome was very strong, Dumoulin and co. not cooperating was as much the to answer for the time difference today.
    Dumoulin looked to be on the front almost every time the cameras went to him - and the others probably knew they were more against one another for positions / white jersey than being in a position to challenge for the overall, so probably had no incentive to do the work

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭sham58107

Ah Christ thought I was watching Landis July 2006 !! 80km alone !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Crippens1

velo.2010 wrote: »

That descent alone gained him 1 minute

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Athlete tracking shows Sam still riding in the grupetto with Viviani and over 30 others so hopefully should be safe although still 4km from finish

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

I think people need to take a small step back and realise that unless you racing in the race .....your only watching it for entertainment....if you are not being entertained....flick over to one of the soaps that's on!!
    I have to agree. Not a Froome/Sky fan by a loooooong shot but it was some execution of a plan today! Did I enjoy it? Heck yeah. As Raven says, watch it for what it is or turn off the telly. And for those who always said, his team rode him to within a few kms of the finish..............
    What about the little fella Carapaz, or whatever, 24 seconds into poor old Tommy in the last 400 metres!

Just warming up for the Tour. He said in the interview just now that he was actually holding something back!

One wonders just how handy some of those Tour victories were? Well, he's earned his 1.5 million pay check in any case. Giro director Vegni must be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭mhiggy09

Sunwebs I think DS or manager very hesitate to acknowledge froomes ride in an interview after the stage.

• Advertisement

Brian Smith is deluded when he says Sky will have gained fans today...

But he did say it was a performance one would see in past eras ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭lissard

RobertKK wrote: »
    But he did say it was a performance one would see in past eras ;)

Reminded me of Landis in his pomp or maybe Riis. A quite miraculous recovery.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Yates lost over 30mins today. That was some crack

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Landis was unbelievable, Ricco had my jaw on the floor, all would have been minutes behind Froome today. We're either looking at the greatest endurance athlete of all time or else the biggest fraud and cheat of all time. Time will tell but we all know what we'd be putting money on, given what has happened in recent months only reaffirming that view.

I really am lost for words at was has happened today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Chaves cracked in pink in the Giro a few years ago and now Yates ....MS have not got a good record of finishing it off

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭REBELSAFC

It's a great day for all asthma sufferers.Look at what you can acheive

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Bleaargh! This reminds me of that perfectly good GT that Chris Horner ruined a few years back in Spain with a performance that seemed to land from outer space with no hint of form to herald it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

I'm not a fan of Sky or Froome but I think some are losing the run of themselves . When Landis won Stage 17, he'd fallen apart on the previous stage and then proceeded to gain back eight minutes the next day. Of the three and a half minutes Froome gained today, a minute or more came from just being a better descender and probably another minute from the cack- handed chase ( along with the usual Pinot fcukwittery on the final climb) - it was mainly a case of Froome vs Dumoulin rather than Froome vs 4 others. If the Sunweb DS was slow to praise Froomes ride, it may be as much about being embarassed by the fact that the team took their eye off the multiple GT winner that was only 3 minutes behind and focussed exclusively on the twenty odd seconds to Yates.
    I'd be very surprised if Sky hadn't identified today as a stage to attack for the GC months ago as it has everything that suits them - a tough start which would allow them drive the pace and isolate rivals, unsurfaced roads, fast descents with good sightlines, valley floors that suit a decent TTer and a final climb more suited to Froome than Dumoulin. If you had to design a stage for Froome, I'm not sure you could have come up with a better one

People are right to be suspicious but I'm not sure I'd place today in the "extraterrestrial" category

I'm not a fan of Sky or Froome but I think some are losing the run of themselves . When Landis won Stage 17, he'd fallen apart on the previous stage and then proceeded to gain back eight minutes the next day. Of the three and a half minutes Froome gained today, a minute or more came from just being a better descender and probably another minute from the cack- handed chase ( along with the usual Pinot fcukwittery on the final climb) - it was mainly a case of Froome vs Dumoulin rather than Froome vs 4 others. If the Sunweb DS was slow to praise Froomes ride, it may be as much about being embarassed by the fact that the team took their eye off the multiple GT winner that was only 3 minutes behind and focussed exclusively on the twenty odd seconds to Yates.
    I'd be very surprised if Sky hadn't identified today as a stage to attack for the GC months ago as it has everything that suits them - a tough start which would allow them drive the pace and isolate rivals, unsurfaced roads, fast descents with good sightlines, valley floors that suit a decent TTer and a final climb more suited to Froome than Dumoulin. If you had to design a stage for Froome, I'm not sure you could have come up with a better one

People are right to be suspicious but I'm not sure I'd place today in the "extraterrestrial" category

He did an 80km solo f*cking win and only got stronger the further he went, at least Landis lost a little bit of time towards the end.

Froome said he rode within his limits today, Brailsford he wasn't surprised by what happened today. It's mind numbing how stupid this performance is.

This sh*ts all over Landis on Morzine, Contador on Fuente De, Ricco on Aspin, the only thing that comes close is Pantani in 1998, and that was a mix of absolute craziness and Ullrich having a shocking day. Dumoulin was exceptional today and still looked like he was going backwards compared to Froome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

What's the likelyhood of Froome being stripped from any of these titles? Vuelta? Giro etc?

He'll likely hold them all now currently, but will the record books show that in 3 years time?

I'd be very surprised if Sky hadn't identified today as a stage to attack for the GC months ago as it has everything that suits them.

Brailsford said after the stage that this block of racing was the target for the overall win though I doubt they had anticipated Froome would be 3 minutes and more from the lead.

If you pinned Froome, Portal and Kerrison up against the wall, I think they would admit that the level of competition is not as high previous Tours from looking at the power numbers. The fact Froome said he held something in reserve points to him rounding into form and being another level again at the Tour.

What's the likelyhood of Froome being stripped from any of these titles? Vuelta? Giro etc?

He'll likely hold them all now currently, but will the record books show that in 3 years time?

Expect him to be cleared of all wrong doing for the Salbutamol case in the next few days, Monday morning most likely, when the air is less thick I'd expect. Simple misunderstanding wasn't it Chris? #justBilharzialAsthmaticKenyanThings.

Expect him to win the Tour while doing backflips up Alpe D'Huez and Wout Poels forgetting to breathe and sipping on a coke can again. Probably will defend his Vuelta "if he feels good after the Tour" and win that too.

I'm shocked the Salbutamol case was ever made public tbh. Even if this guy gets popped for something serious or if they find a motor in his bike, expect the powers that be to cover it up and it'll take years until someone he works with to rat him out ala Landis and Andreu with Lance.

Floyd Mayweather had a banned IV before the fight against Manny Pac and that was covered up until after the fight and then a bullsh*t delayed TUE was given. USADA, WADA, VADA, who gives a f*ck about these alphabet clowns, if you're bigger than the sport you can make these things go away if it happens.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭RIGOLO

RIGOLO wrote: »
    Before I put a few quid on Froomey to make a move in the last few days of the Giro does anyone here work for DHL and know if any jiffy packages have made their way from the UK to Abbiategrasso.... or maybe the pollen count is unseasonably low ...Viva la dolce vita... 

If Yates goes on to win this Giro, it will mean the Wicklow boy Chris JJ been on 2 Giro winning squads (2015 with Alberto) , thats some achievement .

From yesterday, I guess I have my answer after Stage 19... one jiffy bag signed , sealed, delivered and disposed....

Sky News on their sports section spent a few minutes on this and the controversy over today's win.
    They played what Tom Dumoulin had said before the tour started which was to raise questions over the validity of Froome taking part when he had not resolved the controversy over the Vuelta, and if he was to win the Giro, but then is stripped of the Vuelta, is he also stripped of the Giro if he wins it.
    Potential for an enormous sports story that could have been avoided, if Froome is stripped of the Vuelta.
    Sky News provided more critical coverage of the win than Eurosport which did everything to avoid the elephant in the room.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,361 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Weepsie wrote: »
    He was twice over the limit

1mg is over the limit. 1000mg is a 1000mg over the limit.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

I don’t care if he doped today. I don’t really think he did.

However he shouldn’t have started the race. He should be serving a ban from the Vuelta. It’s that simple. It’s a joke how long this has taken. It’s not as if there’s a lack of precedent. Look at the ban Petacchi served.

they/them/theirs

Weird double post.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Brian? wrote: »
    I don’t care if he doped today. I don’t really think he did.

However he shouldn’t have started the race. He should be serving a ban from the Vuelta. It’s that simple. It’s a joke how long this has taken. It’s not as if there’s a lack of precedent. Look at the ban Petacchi served.

It's interesting the sense of perspective coming onto these forums gives (which I appreciate) on British forums which I frequent they'll all confident he'll get off and dominate for many years yet (he is 33), so it's nice to get different opinions.

Somebody just said to me the longer this goes on for the more likely Froome will get off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

Well I'm glad to see I'm not alone in being sickened by today :(

An odd quote popped into my head when I first saw todays results.
    The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn’t exist.

Advertisement