Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Giro d'Italia 2018 stage 19: Venaria Reale – Jafferau 184km

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Whatever about froome, he personally seems genial and like a nice guy. But brailsfords smarmy comments and interview after are really stomach turning

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

wpd wrote:
    but most of all shame on anyone who believe this because we have seen this all before Lets remember this inspiring quote

The gospel according to this guy!!

On another note with today's performance....just remember froome is the best GC cyclist in the world by a long shot....the next prob 5 to 7 are not in this Giro....its froome and a time trialist... contending for the win...was always goin to be the case of these two...and if it came down to the two going up a mountain....the result would always be froome!!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭fishfoodie

retalivity wrote: »
    Whatever about froome, he personally seems genial and like a nice guy. But brailsfords smarmy comments and interview after are really stomach turning

Watching it, while having to endure Kirby, is like having someone scratch a blackboard with nails, while their mate kicks you in the balls repeatedly.

No more cycling for me until the UCI stops this farce.

Very obviously just marginal gains.
    Nothing to see here. Move along.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Is Froome now a shoo in for the TdF as well? The guy doesn't ever seem to lose. Only way he wont win is if the UCI block him from participating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

RobertKK wrote: »
    Sky News on their sports section spent a few minutes on this and the controversy over today's win.
    They played what Tom Dumoulin had said before the tour started which was to raise questions over the validity of Froome taking part when he had not resolved the controversy over the Vuelta, and if he was to win the Giro, but then is stripped of the Vuelta, is he also stripped of the Giro if he wins it.
    Potential for an enormous sports story that could have been avoided, if Froome is stripped of the Vuelta.
    Sky News provided more critical coverage of the win than Eurosport which did everything to avoid the elephant in the room.

They tend to avoid the whole doping thing on eurosport. More to do with advertisers and how much cycling programming they produce. Of course speculation on air can also bring lawsuits. Sure Armstrong sued everybody.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,487 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

They tend to avoid the whole doping thing on eurosport. More to do with advertisers and how much cycling programming they produce. Of course speculation on air can also bring lawsuits. Sure Armstrong sued everybody.

They should really bring in mandatory drugs testing for Eurosport commentators too!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

spectator to take out Froome tomorrow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭not sane

Did a Landis lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭scott1974

That reaction say a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Holy ****. To hear a current pro saying that means it's on now.

The only other pro I've heard call out sky is TD and that's why I like him and want him to win.

Looks like Bennett has become my second favourite rider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Sprinter Sacre

Holy ****. To hear a current pro saying that means it's on now.

The only other pro I've heard call out sky is TD and that's why I like him and want him to win.

Looks like Bennett has become my second favourite rider.

It's telling tbh. It's like they don't give a sh*t any more about the silent code or whatever they had back in the day. I think only Bardet was somewhat critical of him when the Salbutamol thing came out, in reality you should be foaming at the mouth... I heard from Twitter that commentators in other countries dropped the Landis bomb as well as other suggestions too.

Bennett's hysterical laugh and "jesus" at the end says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭JimmiesRustled

who is being cheated?? us watching it on our couch?? the riders in the pro peloton id imagine know what's going on with everyone, its a small community....very very few dont have question marks on them....but that's their business....i watch it because I'm a cyclist, I race at a decent amateur level and enjoy being entertained by the best in the world!!

Ah jaysus. You race at a decent amateur level but seem clearly unaware of the problems plaguing the sport domestically. Our biggest stage race has struggled to find a major sponsor and up until the 11th hour had nothing to write home about in terms of sponsorship.

Sure why would anyone sponsor or touch the sport? I'm friendly with the MD of the company I work for and was asking if they'd be interested theoretically sponsoring an event and got the above response. But sure what difference does it make to me? I should just change the channel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Brian? wrote: »
    1mg is over the limit. 1000mg is a 1000mg over the limit.

That's not thousands of times over the limit. That's 1000mg. There's a world of difference in what I think you mean, and what you've actually said.

He was at double the limit. If he was thousands of times over the limit, he would be at 1 million mg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Weepsie wrote: »
    That's not thousands of times over the limit. That's 1000mg. There's a world of difference in what I think you mean, and what you've actually said.

He was at double the limit. If he was thousands of times over the limit, he would be at 1 million mg

There's a fair amount of research the Salbutamol test is flawed anyways, if Froome is doping, it's not using a drug that doesn't enhance performance anyways. Lots of hype on this one and not a lot of substance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭coco0981

Only got to see the highlights now. Sad that a performance like that which should have had me on the edge of my seat in awe had me cursing the state of pro cycling again

I just don't believe what i just saw

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

not sane wrote: »
    Did a Landis lol

Took me until the second listen to cop that. Lotto as a team obviously feel the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭JenovaProject

I only watch the TDF,Veulta and Giro and I enjoyed seeing froome destroy todays stage and can understand the comparisons being made to dopers of the past,but should evreyones anger not be directed at the doping agencies(WADA,USADA et al)rather than froome and sky.

Surely after a performance like today,froome would be hauled in for a piss and blood test to see whats going on?

Or is it the higher ups that are keeping everything under wraps? and if it is shouldnt they be the ones that are getting all the flak rather than sky and froome.

Im only asking as a layman so take it easy on me lads,please!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,963 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

just watched the highlights, what a mental stage. The climb with the gravel tracks was crazy, fair dues to the guys who brought the giant inhaler up the mountain :pac:

Leaving aside the question of whether Froome should be there at all, I'm torn on this. It's thrilling to see such a dominant performance, (and TD's dogged pursuit and Yates's disastrous collapse), but obviously also suspicious. At the same time Froome did most of the damage on one climb and then was aided by the chasing group not co-operating at all.

Dumoulin won last year without very much team assistance, his team don't seem much better this year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭nc6000

Inquitus wrote: »
    Lots of hype on this one and not a lot of substance.

I thought there was too much substance, isn't that the whole problem? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Irish Raven

Ah jaysus. You race at a decent amateur level but seem clearly unaware of the problems plaguing the sport domestically. Our biggest stage race has struggled to find a major sponsor and up until the 11th hour had nothing to write home about in terms of sponsorship.

Sure why would anyone sponsor or touch the sport? I'm friendly with the MD of the company I work for and was asking if they'd be interested theoretically sponsoring an event and got the above response. But sure what difference does it make to me? I should just change the channel.

fair play. Your MD has painted every cyclist with the same brush. its not doping that is the main issue with the Ras. Its logistics and its costs,and the 3seconds clip it gets on the 6 o clock news. It runs on a negative return. with very little publicity. The tour got 5mins on the news this evening, the ras got 4seconds. Publicity for a company isnt there. Nothing to do really with doping!

with your comment re " problems plauging the sport domestically" are you suggesting that there is doping in our domestic amateur racing??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,231 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

The RAS should be more vocal with the UCI then and tell them this bollox has to stop, it's hitting the little guys in the pocket if you continue to be as impotent as you are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

are you suggesting that there is doping in our domestic amateur racing??

But we Irish are morally and ethically superior to the rest of the world.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Well after watching this stage today it's hard to watch anymore. Talk about shoving it in your face. Has the uci learned anything from previous scandals? They need to deal with his violation from last year sooner than later

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

CptMackey wrote: »
    Well after watching this stage today it's hard to watch anymore. Talk about shoving it in your face. Has the uci learned anything from previous scandals? They need to deal with his violation from last year sooner than later

I'll watch sundays stage and the one into Lausanne but will give tomorrows a miss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Weepsie wrote: »

Who cares? He had an adverse finding. He should have been banned or cleared long before now. ..emphasis on the two full stops in this post.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,083 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Has Yates finished yet?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    Who cares? He had an adverse finding. He should have been banned or cleared long before now. ..emphasis on the two full stops in this post.

I agree. But it was a gross inaccurracy that needed to be corrected.

• Advertisement

Thing is if that was a one day classics race I'd have probably believed it but not on the 3rd week of a GT . Riding into form is new speak for marginal gains. Made Valverde's return this year and form look like nothing.

Advertisement