Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stacking bales

• 25-05-2018 9:56am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭

What is the best way to stack bales end on end?
    Is it to stack directly on top of each other or to build up in a pyramid?

I'll only be planning to go to 2 levels - possibly 3 at a push on a flat stone yard.

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Are they round or square bales?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,432 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Round.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,976 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There are two opposing views. Some prefer to stack on ends as there is more plastic covering the ends. However as these layers are on the flat some think can ingress here or along sides as plastic seams are vertical, as well any puncture will result in water going right through the bale.

I prefer to stack on the side pyramid structure as you say three bales high. My own opinion is you would never leave bales of hay or straw on there ends in a field. If plastic is holed then damage to bales are usually limited. As well if removing bales with a rear spike pyramid style is safter

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,078 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Really? I would only leave them on their ends in a field! If not the crows will make pin cushions of them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭hopeso

I've stacked both ways... The only real difference is that the ones tipped on their ends hold their round shape better. How they are wrapped and handled after wrapping has far more influence on the quality of the silage than the way they're stacked.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement