Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

...Brendan Ingle...

• 25-05-2018 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

...Really sad breaking news, Trainer Brendan Ingle has passed away, aged 77...RIP...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,139 ✭✭✭✭normanoffside

Just hearing that Dean Fracis has passed away too at just 44

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Choochtown

I was lucky enough to meet Brendan a few times and even had a chat with him in his kitchen once! (Not that big a deal; everyone was welcome into his house).

As well as being a brilliant coach and brilliant at seeing and getting the best out of young boxers he was just a brilliant, kind, generous man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Awful news.

Brendan Ingle will surely be remembered for a long, long time. He single-handedly turned Sheffield into a boxing stronghold, but it's the way all his boxers from down through the years speak of him that really matters. They absolutely loved the man, as he was so much more to them than just a trainer/manager. He was a father-figure to many street kids who had no role-model and he advised so many and kept them on the straight and narrow and gave them hope and focus in life. He was a great human being. RIP.

Dean Francis for me was one of the best fighters I saw who didn't win a world title. Not because of indiscipline or the multitude of other reasons often given for failures, but because of an awful shoulder injury that stopped him fighting for four years at one stage and effectively meant he was a one-handed fighter for the rest of his career. He was so smoothly skilled, with very heavy hands, physically strong, smart, just a really, really good fighter. The way he faced his illness with such courage and refusal to lie down was typical of the man. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,091 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

You had to be some buck to fall out with Brendan Ingle, and Naseem was that buck. As Junior Witter said he was a hero to many people others had given up. RIP to a great man

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭megadodge

Not surprised by Hamed's statement.

I know I read/heard an interview in the last few years where he openly admitted he was wrong to split with Ingle, but his family were 'advising' him to do so and we all know about blood and water. His family's involvement in his career was a disaster and Hamed stopped just short of saying it, but it was obvious from reading between the lines that was what he thought.

Advertisement