Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyre Help

Options
  • 25-05-2018 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭

I recently got a Canyon endurance which has 25mm tyres. I checked with Canyon and they told me 28mm tyres were no suitable!!.

The bike has a 105 groupset (rim brakes) and according to a web search, 105 5800 calipers can take up to 28mm.

Should the 28's fit?

Also, what would you recommend for the following tyres:

Wet Weather:

Puncture Protection:

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Tyre width is determined by Frame clearance and Calipers. your calipers can take 28mm Tyres, but it sounds like your bike frame can't.

Conti GP4000 25mm's

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭HugoMyBoss

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Tyre width is determined by Frame clearance and Calipers. your calipers can take 28mm Tyres, but it sounds like your bike frame can't.

Conti GP4000 25mm's

Thanks, if the tyre fits in the caliper then I dont see how it will not be suitable for the frame, ie. it wouldnt be rubbing off the frame. Confused

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭gmacww

HugoMyBoss wrote: »
    Thanks, if the tyre fits in the caliper then I dont see how it will not be suitable for the frame, ie. it wouldnt be rubbing off the frame. Confused

But it often can. One of my bikes the fork clearance on the front is less than the caliper clearance. I also have 105 on that bike. The widest tyers it can take are 25mm even though the calipers will take more.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the calipers obviously are wider than the frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

HugoMyBoss wrote: »

Any of your mates have a bike with 28mm tyres fitted? just swap wheels and see if they fit?

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »
    Any of your mates have a bike with 28mm tyres fitted? just swap wheels and see if they fit?

Thats a brilliant idea!. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Assuming its rear wheel clearance they're talking about, I wonder is it more to do with the longer cage rear derailleur on these bikes to accommodate larger sprockets. Much of the Endurace and Ultimate CF SL models are fitted with the long cage RD.

I have a CF SL with the long cage RD and its a bastard to take the rear wheel out and put back. A shorter cage wouldn't give any issue, IMO. Check the front wheel clearance anyway - if a 28mm fits then the problem with the rear is the long cage RD.

Perhaps deflating the rear tyre before might allow easier wheel changes with tighter clearances.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,769 ✭✭✭cython

It may be depend on what wheels you got with your Endurace, if they are are the DT Swiss with 17mm or wider rim width, then 28c tyres will be wider than conventional measurements (25c on them can be up to 28mm wide, for example, albeit they tend not to be as large vertically, if that makes sense?) and this may cause clearance issues. If you have narrower wheels 28c tyres should be fine, however.

EDIT: if you are looking for a tyre recommendation for dual purpose wet weather and puncture protection, I'd suggest Continental 4 seasons - more robust than GP 4000s and grippier than Gatorskins.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

I would suggest Conti Grand Prix 4-Seasons in 25mm for a more puncture protection than the 4000s. On special on CRC at the moment - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/continental-grand-prix-4-season-vectran-bike-tyre/rp-prod18794

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

someone else with the same question, one response from someone who got 28s on:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/555ral/canyon_endurace_cf_sl_tire_clearance/

• Advertisement

cython wrote: »
    It may be depend on what wheels you got with your Endurace, if they are are the DT Swiss with 17mm or wider rim width, then 28c tyres will be wider than conventional measurements (25c on them can be up to 28mm wide, for example, albeit they tend not to be as large vertically, if that makes sense?) and this may cause clearance issues. If you have narrower wheels 28c tyres should be fine, however.

EDIT: if you are looking for a tyre recommendation for dual purpose wet weather and puncture protection, I'd suggest Continental 4 seasons - more robust than GP 4000s and grippier than Gatorskins.

I have Mavic Aksium wheels
    INNER RIM WIDTH: 17 MM
    OUTER RIM WIDTH: 22 MM

someone else with the same question, one response from someone who got 28s on:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/bicycling/comments/555ral/canyon_endurace_cf_sl_tire_clearance/

Thanks, I'll have a read of this later, site blocked at work

Advertisement