Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Never Arranged Follow Up Appointment

Options
  • 25-05-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm not sure if this is the right forum or not, but looking for some advice...

So a number of months back, i left work with chest pains. Went to my GP. He did blood pressure tests. All showed up fine. Though he gave me a letter for an A&E Dept of a public hostpital in Dublin to go for an ECG. Went in that night to A&E and was 6 hours or so waiting to be seen by a doctor. Eventually saw a doctor (registrar) in the early hours of the morning. Had an ECG done as well as blood pressure. Again, all showed up fine.

The registrar said he would refer me for a full stress test (full ECG including running on a treadmill) to another public hospital in Dublin. He said that I should get an appointment in the post for this particular stress test. Didn't receive anything.

I called the A&E in the original hospital and they said that they would phone me back. They never did. I emailed the hospital and no response. I again emailed during the week and got a call back from their patient liason person. She told me that she "wasn't sure if the letter was sent to my GP". I told her that the registrar specifically told me on the night that I would receive an appointment directly from the hospital in North Dublin for the ECG appointment. They told me to contact the GP to see if they received a letter.

Rang the GP and they do not recall getting any letter. The hospital then sent out another letter midweek to the GP but since time has elapsed they want me to take time off work and pay €60 to get a referral letter for a full ECG test in the other Dublin hospital.

Rang the original hospital again to explain this. Spoke to their complaints Dept and they told me that the original registrar has left the hostpital and their is nothing in my notes to say that he would refer me for an ECG test. The complaints Dept are denying everything.

I'm being messed around here I believe. Not sure what to do in this situation. It's not the money for re-visiting the GP. It's the principle of the hospital messing me around (unsure if the letter was sent to the GP, but they "think it was") and then the GP saying they didn't receive any letter. All when i was told that I would receive an appointment directly from the other Dublin hospital. I'd like to escalate this but the hospital said she is the only point of contact as the "Complaints Manager".

Advertisement