Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do after I got refused a SUSI grant.

Options
  • 25-05-2018 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hello so basically yesterday I got letter from SUSI saying that I can't get a grant because my parents earn more than the amount SUSI specified which is 54,000. My parents still have other expenses such as rent,food,clothes etc so a grant would help. So now I want to ask if there is other financial help available to me. I am probably going to study Computer Science in Maynooth which is around 6,200 per year. If anybody has any information regarding grants please comment as it will help me.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

What did they do with your child benefit the last 18 odd years? What did they do about forward planning?

Your only viable option is to get a job. Limit it to 20 hours a week, as you need to concentrate on your studies. The economy is good, you will pick something up. Persevere and you will get there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,763 ✭✭✭C3PO

myshirt wrote: »
    What did they do with your child benefit the last 18 odd years? What did they do about forward planning?

That's helpful!

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭BUBBLES1978

Were they much over the €54,240 threshold???? if not you can always appeal susis decision to them first and then to the student grant appeals board

Even with being under that amount you would only have gotten €1500 of the student contribution

unfortunately SUSI dont take into account outgoings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2 MPS7

Were they much over the €54,240 threshold???? if not you can always appeal susis decision to them first and then to the student grant appeals board

Even with being under that amount you would only have gotten €1500 of the student contribution

unfortunately SUSI dont take into account outgoings etc

There income was 62,000 so it was 8,000 over the 54,000 threshold. So I presume there is no point in even trying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

If its P60's they using its difficult to qualify if you even a euro over the limit ., but appeal .
    Get an elected representative to help

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

If its P60's they using its difficult to qualify if you even a euro over the limit ., but appeal .
    Get an elected representative to help

Appeal??? They are significantly over the limit. All families have outgoings for food, rent/mortgage, clothing etc.

The OP will have to get a part time job, or take out a loan, or his parents can take out a loan, or they can start saving.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Defer and raise some money over the year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Can you commute from home to Maynooth?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 squarecircle1

MPS7 wrote: »
    Hello so basically yesterday I got letter from SUSI saying that I can't get a grant because my parents earn more than the amount SUSI specified which is 54,000. My parents still have other expenses such as rent,food,clothes etc so a grant would help. So now I want to ask if there is other financial help available to me. I am probably going to study Computer Science in Maynooth which is around 6,200 per year. If anybody has any information regarding grants please comment as it will help me.

Thank you

Defer your place for a year, get a job and save. It then gives your parents an extra year to save too.

Work part time through the academic year.

Live at home and commute if thats possible

Have you actually spoke to your parents or what has you thinking that they can’t afford it? It wont cone as a surprise straight out of the blue that you’re finishing school, its fairly predictable so chances are they’ve already got savings/some plan of action in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Another option is to get a full time job and study part time. You might even be able to get sponsored by your employer to cover your fees.
    If you want to study full time and your parents can’t afford to fund you, you’d be best to defer your course, work full time next year and save every penny. That would take the financial pressure off you and you’d be able to enjoy your study the year after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 ingridp

Just reading this most unhelpful comment. How dare you

Advertisement