Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartwatch Advice

Options
  • 25-05-2018 2:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi,

I've done quite a bit of research but I am somewhat confused. I am looking for a smart watch that:
    • Tracks my cycles
    • Connects this data to strava
    • Tracks my sleep
    • Tracks my heart rate via wrist
    • Ideally is not too bulky
    I see that there are ones such as the Garmin Forerunner 985 that do it all and well but cost c.€500. I was also looking at the Garmin Forerunner (at significantly lower price) but not sure how well the GPS and HRM work.

Any advice is much appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

fitz213 wrote:
    I've done quite a bit of research but I am somewhat confused. I am looking for a smart watch that: Tracks my cycles Connects this data to strava Tracks my sleep Tracks my heart rate via wrist Ideally is not too bulky I see that there are ones such as the Garmin Forerunner 985 that do it all and well but cost c.€500. I was also looking at the Garmin Forerunner (at significantly lower price) but not sure how well the GPS and HRM work.

I use the Garmin FR235 for all the above points as well as tracking my runs and find it excellent. I purchased it 6 mths ago off Amazon for €215 delivered. I don't find it that bulky compared to other more pricy watches to be fair, but it does have a plasticy look which means it doesn't go that well with a shirt/suit for example if wearing to track daily activities in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are android wear watches with their own GPS radios but Im not sure they'll endure a 6hr spin thus you're probably talking Garmin/similar which knocks the sleek look on the head.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

If you have an iPhone get an Apple Watch 3 if not maybe a Fitbit Ionic

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Thinking of selling my fitbit ionic if you were interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭gwakamoley

I got the Fenix 3HR off Amazon a few months ago for £370. I find it brilliant. Tracks all of my activities now including long spins. The optical HR is very handy and I love not having to put on a HR strap for my commutes (although I do still put it on for training spins as sometimes its not very accurate). I got the Sapphire version which I love the look of and I wear it with my suit every day.

It is bulky but if the budget stretches to the Fenix 5 then that's a good bit slimmer. You also get a few extra ConnectIQ apps like Live Strava segments and a TrainingPeaks app, if that's something you'd be in to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,321 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

I have this - https://pricespy.ie/phones-gps/wearables/fitness-watches/garmin-vivoactive-hr-regular--p3690317

I could not recommend it highly enough. It does everything listed above, and is not too bulky. Seems to he cheaper than the other options listed as well

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I use the Fitbit charge 2, it does all that but different than others in that it doesn’t have a gps but uses the one in your phone.

At first I thought it would be a hassle but I find it grand.

you'd want a slim watch to be using it as a sleep tracker.
    bands are better for sleep tracking imo as they weigh next to nothing and are super thin in thickness and width.
    any current watch would annoy me for sleeping.
    just something to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Another recommendation for the fenix 3 hrm, i have mine circa two years, never a minutes (excuse the pun) trouble. Use it for racing, trianing and general tracking everything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,450 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I have the 920xt, a model that's a few years old now, but the only thing it's really missing is optical heart rate (which would be handy for resting heart rate and general tracking, but I'd still use a strap for training). Might be available cheap?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I just got a Polar M200. Seems to be one of the cheapest with standalone GPS if that's important to you? (I got it cos I couldn't be bothered lugging my big phone about with me for runs). Bear in mind that a lot of smart watches require connection to a phone for GPS functionality unless you're looking to pay decent money.

I'm perfectly happy with the m200 but it's not flashy in any way shape or form. Very much just a functional thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Carlosthejakal

I had a 920xt which was good.
    I now use the Fenix 3 which will do everything you ask of it and more. It is a great everyday watch and the battery lasts ages. Auto updates software when needed so no messing required.

Highly recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

The xiaomi amazfit is very decent for the price but AFAIK it wont work with strava.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Shoco83

I have a forerunner 30 as I do a wee bit of running, but I wear it all the time. It has all the features you require.

It doesn't have a specific cycling mode but if I use it to record a cycle it will log the activity as a cycle. It can also be set up to show speed rather than pace.

120 quid in Argos.

The xiaomi amazfit is very decent for the price but AFAIK it wont work with strava.

it will

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001766144-Amazfit-Pace-and-Strava

good watch for the price. the new version is out pace 2 / stratos. looks nicer

https://www.techradar.com/reviews/amazfit-stratos

considering it has a lot of features e.g. can store music etc. not a bad deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭fitz213

Thanks for all the replies. Seems like a trade off between size and functionality/price. I am going to go for the Garmin Vivoactive HR.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭davidsatelle100

sann wrote: »
    Thinking of selling my fitbit ionic if you were interested.

Can i ask why your thinking of selling, i'm looking at a new watch and this seems to tick all the boxes for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭sann

Can i ask why your thinking of selling, i'm looking at a new watch and this seems to tick all the boxes for me.

Dont get me wrong. Its a great watch. Does everything included listening to music on it through the blue tooth earphones.
    The only issue i have is i kind of bought it for Dublin marathon and if the gps is turned on i wont get the 4hrs battery time.
    Will try and sell and probably get something like the garmin 235 or similar .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone using the Xiaomi Amazfit 2? Are you happy with it - looks a good price from what I can see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wouldnt use anything not running AW myself.

Advertisement