Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Returning oversized Amazon item (originally delivered via Parcel Motel)

Options
  • 25-05-2018 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭

Hi,
    I ordered a heavy trolley jack from Amazon and had it delivered through Parcel Motel - Amazon sent it to the Antrim PM address. The packaging is badly damaged and looks like it was opened before and then re-packaged badly. I tried arranging a return online but Amazon seemed to be offering to cover only £4.95 of the return cost. 
    I got Amazon to call me and the agent is sending a replacement and has provided me with a return slip. I have to cover the cost of returning it intially, but the agent said that i would be reimbursed the cost of returning it. 
    However, the cheapest courier I can find will cost €70. Will Amazon reimburse this? I'm worried there's a chance that if I pay this, Amazon might decide that they're unwilling to cover this cost. Has anyone else had any experience with returning oversized packages that were delivered via Parcel Motel?
    Cheers!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They are only obliged to reimburse the carriage you paid to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,015 ✭✭✭✭L1011

They are unlikely to pay for the transport costs from Ireland; as they didn't deliver the item to ROI.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,165 ✭✭✭✭flazio

http://www.parcelmotel.com/return/
    Parcel motel do allow provision for returns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭Danny Donut

Tell the Amazon agent it will cost £70 before you pay it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Melendez wrote: »
    Ask them for an An Post return slip.

They are not obliged to do it, but they probably will. I think it returns to a warehouse in Ireland, maybe not. You just put the label on the package and drop it in to your local post office.
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Cheers for the advice everyone.

I got back on to Amazon via their chat and the agent assured me that Amazon will reimburse me. I'm still not entirely convinced, but luckily Parcel Motel have agreed to return it for me as a gesture of goodwill, so I won't have to find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Do you even need to return it, hardly the end of the world if the packaging is badly damaged. It's a trolley jack not a Ming Vase.

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Merry Prankster

Do you even need to return it, hardly the end of the world if the packaging is badly damaged. It's a trolley jack not a Ming Vase.

True, but it's clearly been used and then repackaged badly. If I'm paying a premium for new goods, that's what I expect to receive!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you sure it's used, I've got big stuff on Amazon and the box is usually fairly battered especially when it's a heavy item.
    I'm not sure they'll reimburse you £70 they've told me keep stuff before when it's uneconomical to send it back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

Personally on something like this. I'd check if its working OK (after taking multiple photos of the packaging issue), and if it is working fine, I'd be happy to avoid the hassle of returning it.

Who needs the feckin' hassle for something like that? On the other hand, if it was a Ming Vase, and/or it was damaged, back it would go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

It must be huge or you are checking express couriers.
    DPD, Nightline, & gls all provide 2 day road / sea service to the UK

Gls parcel shop is €33 for very large parcel.

Advertisement