Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 burst tubes on the commute today

Options
  • 25-05-2018 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭

Cube Attain SL. Five weeks old. 200+ commute miles on it.

Got a flat back tube this morning. Forgot my levers and pump so got it changed in the LBS. The hole was on this inside of the tube where it rests on the rim.

Out again, one mile down the road and the new tube on the back wheel goes. Back to the LBS. Again, it is inside the tube where it meets the rim.

The guy in the LBS marked it all up checked both burst tubes and found that the holes were aligned with the eyelet of one spoke. The eyelet was not perfectly flush to the rim. He replaced the tape on the rim with thicker tape and put a new tube on.

3 miles down the road the front tube goes. That was the tube I got with the bike, it had 200+ miles on and was fine. I haven't checked where the hole is yet.

The guy in the LBS suspects it could be related to the heat today. Has anyone else experienced similar?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Kissy Lips wrote: »
    The guy in the LBS suspects it could be related to the heat today. Has anyone else experienced similar?

Heat yes, but in 35 degrees descending in the Pyrenees.

Your two rear punctures sound the same cause, the front unrelated.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭com1

had something similar previously. The problem ended up being the rim tape. It couldn't take the pressure of the tube (I was pumping to over 100psi) which herniated into the spoke holes and burst. Replaced the tape with high pressure rim tape and have not had the problem since

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

what PSI are you pumping to? I get pinch flats if i don't got to 100psi+

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Kissy Lips

Rew wrote: »
    what PSI are you pumping to? I get pinch flats if i don't got to 100psi+

8 bar. I don't think this is an under inflation issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Perhaps you have something embedded in the rear tyre but i imagine since you considered the spokes you ahve already checked thoroughly.

It might just be a freaky run of bad luck - has to happen to somebody.

I punctured two tubes on my back wheel during the same ride a few weeks ago, first time I ever punctured twice in one day (well bar one time when it turned out my tyre had split and needed to be replaced but that was a mechanical issue rather than bad luck.)

• Advertisement

Had this problem with a new bike, about 100km done and then a rear flat. Rim tape was the problem. Replaced it on both wheels and no problems since.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭bingobars

If you’re still on the standard crap tires most new bikes come with get used to this. For commuting schwalbe marathon tires are the only way to. I’ve commuted 2000km over mixed roads/paths without a flat so far. That’s why you see them on the Coke bikes. This could easily be a splinter of wood/glass in OPs case. Tire needs careful inspection on removal. It helps to fix these yourself as you can associate each incident with a particular patch on the tire

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

You need to sacrifice to the Puncture Gods. And if it happens again, take both tyres off and run your fingers (carefully) around inside the tyre and also at the rim tape, and see if there's any sneaky little pieces of glass in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭veganrun

Similar issue here. Bought a new bike, must of had 2-3 punctures within the first week or two and I was doing very low mileage. Went to the bike shop, there was something wrong with rim tape and spoke sockets or something. They put better tape on and so far, no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Good chance it could be the same issue with the front. I've had these type of rim punctures before and you can usually feel a sharper than usual edge around the rim eyelet where the puncture occured. Its not great wheel design.

I put on extra electrical tape all the way around and as suggested above didn't over inflate (kept below 110 instead of sometimes going to 125)

If you were puncturing due to pressure too low you would usually see 2 holes (snake bite)

• Advertisement
Advertisement