Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stamp Duty due or Not?

Options
  • 24-05-2018 10:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

Just got word that my house was not registered when I purchased it in 2002 and PRAI saying I am liable for stamp duty! This is first I have heard of it. Property was purchased new Jan 2002 for €285,000 (with mortgage) and I was told by solicitor that new properties were except from stamp duty. Original solicitor is not returning my calls. Any advice!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

snor wrote: »
    Sorry To drag is an old thread. Just got word that my house was not registered when I purchased it in 2002 and PRAI saying I am liable for stamp duty! This is first I have heard of it. Property was purchased new Jan 2002 for €285,000 (with mortgage) and I was told by solicitor that new properties were except from stamp duty. Original solicitor is not returning my calls. Any advice!
    Yes, you are liable for stamp duty, but as it was a new house, and both the site value and 25% value were under the thresholds, no actual duty would be due, but until it is "stamped", it will show as stamp duty not paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭snor

thank you Ceiling Fly. So is it a matter of getting in Touch with original solicitor from 16 years ago to stamp the mortgage?
    I discovered by chance that the house was not registered - makes you wonder how common this issue is and why it was not done correctly at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

snor wrote: »
    thank you Ceiling Fly. So is it a matter of getting in Touch with original solicitor from 16 years ago to stamp the mortgage?
    I discovered by chance that the house was not registered - makes you wonder how common this issue is and why it was not done correctly at the time.

yep, back to solicitor.

I reckon that so much property was changing hands that some things got forgotten. Also, possibly as no stamp duty was payable, there was no money trail to be closed off, so it sits on the back burner.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note:

Split from old thread.

Advertisement