Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tommy Robinson jailed

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

wes wrote: »
    Guardian journalist Owen Jones has received threats from the Yaxley-Lennon fan club:

What does Owen Jones have to say for the hundreds of young girls who were sexually abused while the state did nothing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,417 ✭✭✭WinnyThePoo

markodaly wrote: »
    What does Owen Jones have to say for the hundreds of young girls who were sexually abused while the state did nothing?

What has that got to do with Tommy's stupidity?. Seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Its all alt right

Maajid Nawaz, an ex member of Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir, gives his views on the whole incident. Makes a good point that people like Tommy are becoming popular due to years of silence from the greater population.

Maajid Nawaz, an ex member of Islamist group Hizb ut-Tahrir, gives his views on the whole incident. Makes a good point that people like Tommy are becoming popular due to years of silence from the greater population.

Not just silence, disdain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

If Tommy Robinson is so determined to have nonces locked up then it begs the question as to what he was doing potentially jeopardising a trial and thus allowing these bastards a potential recourse out. He knew full well what he was doing, he'd already been convicted of doing the same bloody thing before this but decided to crack on again in the hope of promoting himself. In other words, he put his own priorities ahead of that of actually locking up nonces. And of course never mind the victims.

I think you'd be an idiot to dispute that grooming gangs exist and the fact they exist as a result of the problem amongst sections of a certain community and their attitudes toward women. I also think it would be silly to suggest the cops' 'hands were tied by political correctness' when the reality is that they just plain didn't give a sh*t about vulnerable Youth Reach-type girls from 'scumbag families' and the wrong part of town.

Robinson is a far-right, racist ideologue with an agenda and the above failures of the left and officialdom have allowed him to jump into that niche. But he doesn't actually care about paedophilia or Islamic extremism or any of these things; no more than the BNP or the National Front cared about social and economic issues - they're just a means to an end for him. He's bad f*cking news.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The thread title is "Tommy Robinson jailed". I suggest you work on your reading and comprehension, as that is the title of the thread, and Owen Jones has received threats for daring to comment on the topic, which we are discussing.

Do you have anything to say in regards to the threats? Do you support such threats? It seem you would like such threat to be swept under the run, as them being brought up don't suit your agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

FTA69 wrote: »
    If Tommy Robinson is so determined to have nonces locked up then it begs the question as to what he was doing potentially jeopardising a trial and thus allowing these bastards a potential recourse out. He knew full well what he was doing, he'd already been convicted of doing the same bloody thing before this but decided to crack on again in the hope of promoting himself. In other words, he put his own priorities ahead of that of actually locking up nonces. And of course never mind the victims.

I think you'd be an idiot to dispute that grooming gangs exist and the fact they exist as a result of the problem amongst sections of a certain community and their attitudes toward women. I also think it would be silly to suggest the cops' 'hands were tied by political correctness' when the reality is that they just plain didn't give a sh*t about vulnerable Youth Reach-type girls from 'scumbag families' and the wrong part of town.

Robinson is a far-right, racist ideologue with an agenda and the above failures of the left and officialdom have allowed him to jump into that niche. But he doesn't actually care about paedophilia or Islamic extremism or any of these things; no more than the BNP or the National Front cared about social and economic issues - they're just a means to an end for him. He's bad f*cking news.

Even taking everything you posted as 100% fact and I don't, the issue lots of people have is not so much about Robinson himself but the direction in which the UK police and legal system is heading.

http://www.newsweek.com/youtuber-count-dankula-avoids-jail-following-hate-crime-conviction-teaching-896831

Youtuber convicted of a hate crime for a stupid video in which he trained a pug to do a Nazi salute.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-merseyside-43816921

A teenager convicted of hate crime for posting rap lyrics on Twitter in memory of a dead neighbour.

A society where you have the above convictions along with Robinson's current one becoming the norm is not healthy for anyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Venom wrote: »
    Even taking everything you posted as 100% fact and I don't, the issue lots of people have is not so much about Robinson himself but the direction in which the UK police and legal system is heading.

http://www.newsweek.com/youtuber-count-dankula-avoids-jail-following-hate-crime-conviction-teaching-896831

Youtuber convicted of a hate crime for a stupid video in which he trained a pug to do a Nazi salute.

A teenager convicted of hate crime for posting rap lyrics on Twitter in memory of a dead neighbour.

A society where you have the above convictions along with Robinson's current one becoming the norm is not healthy for anyone.

are you suggesting that Stephen was wrongly convicted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Your not comparing like with like at all. Robinson was not charged with the same thing as your 2 other examples at all, so there is no relevance to the current topic. He is in trouble for an entirely different crime.

There is little comparison between the above cases and Robinson's. Robinson was done for contempt of court, for jeopardising a trial and for not abiding by the terms of his suspended sentence. He showed up to a court and started shouting on a live stream that the defendants were paedophiles.

That isn't 'free speech' mate, nobody has the right to video people outside a courtroom when there's a blacked out trial on. And in doing so he has given these people a potential recourse to claim a mistrial! He has actually played into the hands of the nonces' defence lawyers. And all for a bit of publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

You'd have to worry about the loons that support Tommy Robinson. Just how radicalised are they? We know he has radicalised terrorists before.

Thankfully it's mostly thick brits and americans that fall for his sh*t.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/finsbury-park-terror-attack-tommy-robinson-far-right-britain-first-mark-rowley-speech-police-a8229936.html
    There is “no doubt” that far-right material posted online by the likes of Tommy Robinson and Britain First drove the Finsbury Park terror attacker to target Muslims, the UK’s most senior counter-terror officer has said.

I'd hope counter terrorism in this country are keeping an eye on people who have an unhealthy obsession with defending him. At least with him locked up, the chance of him radicalising people decreases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Contempt of court has always, always been the fastest way to get yourself locked up. Judges will have officers literally drag you from the court room and lock you up for it on the spot.

This is not anything new, it has always been the norm.

The fascist pug and rap lyrics are nothing to do with contempt of court.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭terryduff12

dav3 wrote: »
    You'd have to worry about the loons that support Tommy Robinson. Just how radicalised are they? We know he has radicalised terrorists before.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/finsbury-park-terror-attack-tommy-robinson-far-right-britain-first-mark-rowley-speech-police-a8229936.html

I'd hope counter terrorism in this country are keeping an eye on people who have an unhealthy obsession with defending him. At least with him locked up, the chance of him radicalising people decreases.
    Didn't your man also watch a bbc feature about the grooming gang that also sent him over the edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

As he is fond of saying - if "decent society" had been bothered to actually protect people from these gangs, if they weren't operating a two-time policing system, then none of us would never have heard of Tommy Robinson and groups like the EDL would not exist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

I'd hope counter terrorism in this country are keeping an eye on people who have an unhealthy obsession with defending him

Nah.. counter terrorism are too busy watching
    wannabe ra heads living in council houses in west dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Ah your true colours. You want surveillance extended to non-violent rhetoric; reading of material like the Quran and Mein Kampf to warrant targeted surveillance. You want racism or hatred of anti-white-supremacists to get you put on a list. My concern in this case, on the back of worrying trends in the UK was to do with the precedents that the UK has been setting in this strange sphere of hate speech.

Its easy to see if your not blinded by one side of this that those kinds of moves have to be watched and fought against no matter who is doing it. I don't care if someone holds fundamental Islamic views or white supremacist views. I don't care who they say negative things about. I don't mind them telling jokes about it. What I do mind is when there are calls to violence because without some iron clad conceptual dividing line you open up a whole universe of potential for police surveillance and prosecution. Like now for example, you've called for reading the Quran to be worthy of police surveillance without even knowing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Lol the progressives on here don’t know what to make of Maajid it’s like his views are out of line with what they expect him to say as a Muslim and that confuses them. I just wish there were more free thinkers like him within the Muslim population

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Lol the progressives on here don’t know what to make of Maajid it’s like his views are out of line with what they expect him to say as a Muslim and that confuses them. I just wish there were more free thinkers like him within the Muslim population

There you are again with the dramatics. He only mentioned Robinson once in that clip and that was to comment on the speed of his conviction compared to the investigations against grooming, a not surprising difference considering the difference in scale of crime, seriousness of crime and guilty plea. The fact he is Muslim is irrelevant to what he is saying. The only people who care about that are you guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Robinson is a far-right, racistideologue with an agenda and the above failures of the left and officialdom have allowed him to jump into that niche. But he doesn't actually care about paedophilia or Islamic extremism or any of these things; no more than the BNP or the National Front cared about social and economic issues - they're just a means to an end for him. He's bad f*cking news.

It’s funny that this post has been thanked by the same posters who when asked to provide proof that Tommy Robinson is a racist could not. Here’s the thing he’s not and there is fcuk all proof that he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It’s funny that this post has been thanked by the same posters who when asked to provide proof that Tommy Robinson is a racist could not. Here’s the thing he’s not and there is fcuk all proof that he is.

Good point. Tommy himself even admitted that he doesn't have a problem with immigrants only Muslims child rape gangs and Muslim terrorists and he believes moderate Muslims are victims of Islam. It's true when was the last you heard of a Hindu rape gang or a Buddist terrorists. But yet if you that call out Muslim rape gangs or Muslim terrorists it's "not all Muslims", "Islam is the religion of peace" and all that kind of crap from the left.

But yet when there is a school shooting in America done by a white Christian you don't hear "it's not all Christians" or "Christianity is the religion of peace" from the left. They're all very quick to call out peadophile priest and misogyny in the Catholic church. But yet they don't even investigate the imams who could very be peadophiles too and don't even get me started on misogyny in Islam but that's all cultural enrichment according to the fake feminists and leftists.

• Advertisement

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Good point. Tommy himself even admitted that he doesn't have a problem with immigrants only Muslims child rape gangs and Muslim terrorists and he believes moderate Muslims are victims of Islam. It's true when was the last you heard of a Hindu rape gang or a Buddist terrorists. But yet if you that call out Muslim rape gangs or Muslim terrorists it's "not all Muslims", "Islam is the religion of peace" and all that kind of crap from the left.

But yet when there is a school shooting in America done by a white Christian you don't hear "it's not all Christians" or "Christianity is the religion of peace" from the left. They're all very quick to call out peadophile priest and misogyny in the Catholic church. But yet they don't even investigate the imams who could very be peadophiles too and don't even get me started on misogyny in Islam but that's all cultural enrichment according to the fake feminists and leftists.

The left this....the left that......the left this....the left that....Seriously you need to get over the fact that people don't think in black and white.

The left this....the left that......the left this....the left that....Seriously you need to get over the fact that people don't think in black and white.

I don't have a problem with left wing ideas. I believe workers should have rights and paid fairly, I believe women are equal to men, I believe in political religious freedom and I believe in freedom of speech a left wing idea which the left have backtracked on. The left are feminists that believe women are superior to men but yet it's ok to them if Muslim men treat women like shít making them cover and walk behind them. Watch this video and you get over your preconceived ideas about Tommy.

https://youtu.be/wM7FJrzCcW8

Give over. I'm sick to my balls of hearing this 'HOW AM I A RACIST ISLAMISNOTARACE' spiel out of him and his mates. How is he a racist? Perhaps we can deduce that he's a racist due to the fact he was a member of multiple f*cking racist organisations in the past and currently supports racist organisations today? Let's look at this more closely; Robinson is a former member of the BNP, an openly racist party that engaged in Holocaust denial, pushed the idea that black people were inferior to white people, whose policies included deportation of blacks and Asians and who physically and brutally attacked minorities in the U.K. He was a member of this organisation for a year. He later says he didn't know the BNP was anti-black. If you believe that mate I've some magic beans to sell you.

He later joined the British Freedom Party, an organisation set up by former BNP members and members of the National Front - including people with convictions for racially motivated violence. Strike 2. He currently supports Generation Identity - an actual fascist organisation who espouse the fundamental whiteness of Europe and are white supremacists with the edges shaved off.

Proving how Tommy Robinson is a racist is as simple as looking at his past and present affiliations to political racists. Including ones which despised Irish people, making the fact some Irish people support him even more of a mystery to me.

What I'd love to know is what you or other fans of his think this charlatan is going to achieve? How is he going to stop nonces, by disrupting their trials so they get off scot free? Nice one. How is he going to fight Islamic extremism, by leading a bunch of p*ssed up football fans into Asian communities shouting "Allah is a paedo"?

This lad doesn't give a toss about child victims or Islamic extremism, he's a nasty opportunist jumping on issues to promote himself and the far right. Nothing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Seriously you need to get over the fact that people don't think in black and white.
    Irony....

"Allah is a paedo"?

He was a paedo tho wasn't he.

deco nate wrote: »
    Irony....

Don't think you've thought that through.

He was a paedo tho wasn't he.

Lol explain how Allah was a paedophile?

I don't have a problem with left wing ideas. I believe workers should have rights and paid fairly, I believe women are equal to men, I believe in political religious freedom and I believe in freedom of speech a left wing idea which the left have backtracked on. The left are feminists that believe women are superior to men but yet it's ok to them if Muslim men treat women like shít making them cover and walk behind them. Watch this video and you get over your preconceived ideas about Tommy.

https://youtu.be/wM7FJrzCcW8

Again. Your spouting nonsense. Generalisations all over the gaff. I dont have preconceived ideas. I know exactly what Tommy is.

Give over. I'm sick to my balls of hearing this 'HOW AM I A RACIST ISLAMISNOTARACE' spiel out of him and his mates. How is he a racist? Perhaps we can deduce that he's a racist due to the fact he was a member of multiple f*cking racist organisations in the past and currently supports racist organisations today? Let's look at this more closely; Robinson is a former member of the BNP, an openly racist party that engaged in Holocaust denial, pushed the idea that black people were inferior to white people, whose policies included deportation of blacks and Asians and who physically and brutally attacked minorities in the U.K. He was a member of this organisation for a year. He later says he didn't know the BNP was anti-black. If you believe that mate I've some magic beans to sell you.

He later joined the British Freedom Party, an organisation set up by former BNP members and members of the National Front - including people with convictions for racially motivated violence. Strike 2. He currently supports Generation Identity - an actual fascist organisation who espouse the fundamental whiteness of Europe and are white supremacists with the edges shaved off.

Proving how Tommy Robinson is a racist is as simple as looking at his past and present affiliations to political racists. Including ones which despised people, making the fact some people support him even more of a mystery to me.

What I'd love to know is what you or other fans of his think this charlatan is going to achieve? How is he going to stop nonces, by disrupting their trials so they get off scot free? Nice one. How is he going to fight Islamic extremism, by leading a bunch of p*ssed up football fans into Asian communities shouting "Allah is a paedo"?

This lad doesn't give a toss about child victims or Islamic extremism, he's a nasty opportunist jumping on issues to promote himself and the far right. Nothing more.

yes but if we ignore all that can we really call him a racist?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭backspin.

Good article on Tommy here by Douglas Murray.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/05/tommy-robinson-grooming-gangs-britain-persecutes-journalist/

Its not a glowing endorsement of Tommy, he highlight acts of bravery and and acts of foolishness in equal measure.

Again. Your spouting nonsense. Generalisations all over the gaff. I dont have preconceived ideas. I know exactly what Tommy is.

What is is Tommy according to you? You said things aren't black and white maybe Tommy isin't black and white either. You assume that Tommy is a racist just because he used to be involved in The EDL sure Fine Gael used to be Nazi sympathizers and yet no acuses them of Anti Semitism.

Lol explain how Allah was a paedophile?

Ah here ill let this lad explain and you have a computer you can do some research on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LE3QARjIZg&feature=youtu.be

What is is Tommy according to you? You said things aren't black and white maybe Tommy isin't black and white either. You assume that Tommy is a racist just because he used to be involved in The EDL.

and the BNP. Dont forget the BNP.

Some Pakistani men have terrible views on women. They committed awful crimes. Officialdom failed the victims. Some on the left are afraid to point this out. This is bad.

Tommy Robinson is a far right activist and a former or current supporter/member of racist organisations. He says bigoted things. He disrupts trials potentially helping the nonces he claims to oppose. This is also bad.

I don't see the major complexity in this like.

Ah here ill let this lad explain and you have a computer you can do some research on it.

I'm curious why it is always a youtube video? Why not a nice scholatly article with proper references and stuff?

• Advertisement

Bugger that you made a point, back it up. How was Allah a paedophile? Who do you think Allah means bud?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

Don't think you've thought that through.

Yes I did.

I'm curious why it is always a youtube video? Why not a nice scholatly article with proper references and stuff?

Does it have to be a New York Times or a Guardian article not a Breitbart article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭Jamiekelly

Bugger that you made a point, back it up. How was Allah a paedophile? Who do you think Allah means bud?

Allah isn't one because he doesn't exist ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,009 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

What has that got to do with Tommy's stupidity?. Seriously.

You mean he said nothing, like most of the establishment. Right so Ted.

The establishment and the media hid their heads in the sand while this scandal was occurring. Tommy Robinson being convicted of Mortgage fraud does not negate this fact.

Anyone who values liberty should be worried about the way the UK is starting to police thoughts. It does make a fool of people who call themselves progressive yet say nothing when the strong arm of the state do questionable things.

• Advertisement

What is is Tommy according to you? You said things aren't black and white maybe Tommy isin't black and white either. You assume that Tommy is a racist just because he used to be involved in The EDL sure Fine Gael used to be Nazi sympathizers and yet no acuses them of Anti Semitism.

Varadkor was in Fine Gael in the 30/40s...that's news to me.

Didn't Tommie get arrested by doing some kind of video. You can nick pick all you want but even if I give you nice scholarly article there would still be something wrong with it, off the internet on white paper now browne and so on.

Didn't Tommie get arrested by doing some kind of video. You can nick pick all you want but even if I give you nice scholarly article there would still be something wrong with it, off the internet on white paper now browne and so on.

No he got arrested for being in contempt of court and potentially jeopardising the conviction of a load of paedo scumbags so he could get some likes on social media. What a f*cking hero.

Does it have to be a New York Times or a Guardian article not a Breitbart article.

well something written intelligently would be nice. Something that mentions its sources. Not a 30 minute video that could probably be written as 10 or so pages of text. Of course i know why those videos are commonly cited by the far right. It is part of a fiendish plot to bore their opponents to death.

The establishment and the media hid their heads in the sand while this scandal was occurring. Tommy Robinson being convicted of Mortgage fraud does not negate this fact.

Anyone who values liberty should be worried about the way the UK is starting to police thoughts. It does make a fool of people who call themselves progressive yet say nothing when the strong arm of the state do questionable things.

You do know why he has been put in jail?. He put himself in Jail. Knowingly so. I mean how stupid does he think his fans are? willingly ignore outrageous stupidity for what?. They blinded by something.

tommy wasnt locked up for his thoughts. he was locked up for his actions.

well something written intelligently would be nice. Something that mentions its sources. Not a 30 minute video that could probably be written as 10 or so pages of text. Of course i know why those videos are commonly cited by the far right. It is part of a fiendish plot to bore their opponents to death.

Truth hurts

tommy wasnt locked up for his thoughts. he was locked up for his actions.

Wasn't he streaming on facebook so they had the video evidence??? but that cant be trusted?

Truth hurts

OK then, explain in your own words how Muhammad was a pedophile. Remember to quote your sources.

Perhaps you might like to read this first. You might find it educational. https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/belief/2012/sep/17/muhammad-aisha-truth

Wasn't he streaming on facebook so they had the video evidence??? but that cant be trusted?

they didnt need video evidence. He was shouting outside the court in front of the police and others. He really is a knuckle-dragging thicko.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement