Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tommy Robinson jailed

Comments

so, if he posted something urging people to terrorise and behead those who follow the Koran in Luton that would be ok with you?

How would you possibly take that from what I said?! I think it is quite obvious that I wouldn't be ok with that.

That is literally what I am talking about. Why would you allude to that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

How would you possibly take that from what I said?! I think it is quite obvious that I wouldn't be ok with that.

That is literally what I am talking about. Why would you allude to that?

well you seem to be going out of your way to excuse what he says. Claiming that he isn't far right despite all the evidence that he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Nice slogan you have there.

For your next trick, you should post a video when I ask you how you square the likes of the Iona "institute's" stance on gay marriage with the second part of your dumb slogan.

We've got a live one.

well you seem to be going out of your way to excuse what he says. Claiming that he isn't far right despite all the evidence that he is.

You asked me for my opinion. You literally said "post YOUR opinion". Replying to a question is hardly going out of my way.

I gave it. I said it was my opinion that Tommy Robinson wasn't far-right.

I never once said I would find a call to the terrorising or beheading of followers of the Koran acceptable.

You alluded that I did.

Can you not see how you are proving my point that it is easy for comments/opinions to be exaggerated and purposely misconstrued?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

sirmanga wrote: »
    Also, if they start banning people for saying nasty things about Muslim they'll have to ban people for making fun of Christians. Or at least they should, to be fair..
    You should look into Facebook's role in the ethnic cleansing of Muslims in Myanmar, it might change your tone a bit.

You asked me for my opinion. You literally said "post YOUR opinion". Replying to a question is hardly going out of my way.

I gave it. I said it was my opinion that Tommy Robinson wasn't far-right.

I never once said I would find a call to the terrorising or beheading of followers of the Koran acceptable.

You alluded that I did.

Can you not see how you are proving my point that it is easy for comments/opinions to be exaggerated and purposely misconstrued?

well let us just look at what you said.

You said that in your opinion that tommy isn't far right but most of his supporters are. This is strange enough in itself but you have formed this opinion despite all the evidence to the contrary.

You then said that the posts that got him banned from FB were probably taken out of context. This is despite them being exactly the sort of thing that tommy has been saying for years.

You also seem to continually thank posts made by the far right posters here.

So to sum up you seem to want to be seen as some sort of moderate when nothing you have said or done suggests that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

The left tell people how to live their lives.

The right just want to live their lives.

Utter nonsense.

well let us just look at what you said.

You said that in your opinion that tommy isn't far right but most of his supporters are. This is strange enough in itself but you have formed this opinion despite all the evidence to the contrary.

You then said that the posts that got him banned from FB were probably taken out of context. This is despite them being exactly the sort of thing that tommy has been saying for years.

You also seem to continually thank posts made by the far right posters here.

So to sum up you seem to want to be seen as some sort of moderate when nothing you have said or done suggests that.

I said that a large amount of tommy robinson posters are far right. Not most.

I never said that the Facebook posts were PROBABLY taken out of context. I said I would be interested in seeing the facebook posts before I came to a conclusion as it is easy to misconstrue specific posts and label them racist if you wanted to do so. I am open to correction though as I haven't seen the evidence.

I don't think many posters on here are far right posters. I thank ones that I feel mention good points.

So to sum up, you are insisting that I am not a moderate by putting words in my mouth, the fact that I disagree with you and because I have noticed a bias in the media that labels people as far right when they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Nice slogan you have there.

For your next trick, you should post a video when I ask you how you square the likes of the Iona "institute's" stance on gay marriage with the second part of your dumb slogan.

We've got a live one.
    You'd have saved far more face if you'd simply not replied!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

I said that a large amount of tommy robinson posters are far right. Not most.

I never said that the Facebook posts were PROBABLY taken out of context. I said I would be interested in seeing the facebook posts before I came to a conclusion as it is easy to misconstrue specific posts and label them racist if you wanted to do so. I am open to correction though as I haven't seen the evidence.

I don't think many posters on here are far right posters. I thank ones that I feel mention good points.

So to sum up, you are insisting that I am not a moderate by putting words in my mouth, the fact that I disagree with you and because I have noticed a bias in the media that labels people as far right when they aren't.

Funny how you only (or pretty much only) thank posts by those that support tommy.

Funny how you only (or pretty much only) thank posts by those that support tommy.

Humour is subjective I suppose. I don't find it that funny.

Humour is subjective I suppose. I don't find it that funny.

funny peculiar rather than funny haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 502 ✭✭✭sirmanga

Trump 2020, lads! The future is bright, the future is orange!

Just wish we had someone with his balls in this spineless country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

Why haven't the British police been investigating these calls to violence? A notorious hate figure with a huge following has been committing crimes in the open and is being ignored by the authorities? Hopefully facebook have passed the evidence on, or someone somewhere has witnessed / recorded it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,611 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

1ypv6e.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,211 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wrong to close off a working class perspective just because one disagrees with it.

Pretending it was inciting violence is just an excuse.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,605 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Danzy wrote: »
    Wrong to close off a working class perspective just because one disagrees with it.

It's not a working class perspective. Yaxley-Lennon has nothing in common with the working class.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

No pretending required. He was inciting violence. Which is against FB policy. And he was previously warned about his posts but decided to keep breaking that policy regardless. What should FB have done? Do you think they should have allowed him to incite hatred and violence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Sorry but I disagree with the implication that the working classes are mostly racist simpletons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

'Can't win a debate about Tommy Robinson or the virtues of the right? I know! I'll bring up Trump!'

Just when I thought "the right wants to live their lives" was going to be the stupidest thing I'd read today...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

No pretending required. He was inciting violence. Which is against FB policy. And he was previously warned about his posts but decided to keep breaking that policy regardless. What should FB have done? Do you think they should have allowed him to incite hatred and violence?

On twitter all the right wingers are going nuts saying that facebook lets terrorist accounts exist but close tommy/stephen. Show them a link that says facebook is deleting thousands of accounts and they switch the topic to "yeah, but has be broken the law"

It doesn't actually matter what facts are, people like that only care about how they feel. Pointing out facts should make most people step back and question what they were saying, but it doesn't.

Grayson wrote: »
    On twitter all the right wingers are going nuts saying that facebook lets terrorist accounts exist but close tommy/stephen. Show them a link that says facebook is deleting thousands of accounts and they switch the topic to "yeah, but has be broken the law"

It doesn't actually matter what facts are, people like that only care about how they feel. Pointing out facts should make most people step back and question what they were saying, but it doesn't.

I know all that but i've got to keep trying, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭rgossip30

They all relate to specific posts of tommys. Or do you think that FB just made them up? Do you think that he did not post the things that FB mentioned?

I am just curious as to what specific posts are offensive .Can you show a link ?

It's not a working class perspective. Yaxley-Lennon has nothing in common with the working class.

In your opinion.

It might be better to say his views are not fully supported by all the working class but represent a significant part of a working class analysis.

The problem for him is that that analysis does not enjoy much support in the Middle and Upper class.

In the modern Left there is a synergy between mostly middle and upper class activists and working class voters

This gap is across the Left and is only accelerating.
    Certainly makes them more acceptable to the establishment. Robinson is beating a drum on issues that the Middle class are happy to ignore for votes, doesn't happen in their neighbourhood.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

'Can't win a debate about Tommy Robinson or the virtues of the right? I know! I'll bring up Trump!'

Just when I thought "the right wants to live their lives" was going to be the stupidest thing I'd read today...

Leave 'em alone, they're just owning teh libz.

rgossip30 wrote: »
    I am just curious as to what specific posts are offensive .Can you show a link ?

Well i cant show them to you as Tommy deleted them. That is not an issue for FB as they can still see them. Though i bet you're not actually curious at all and would dismiss them if i could show them to you. You dont care if he said them or not.

Well i cant show them to you as Tommy deleted them. That is not an issue for FB as they can still see them. Though i bet you're not actually curious at all and would dismiss them if i could show them to you. You dont care if he said them or not.

Again, putting words in people's mouths, claiming to know what people are thinking and being unnecessarily confrontational.

Lovely stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

More slogans... I'd say Hallmark are holding an emergency meeting as we speak..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,057 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Yeah, tommy is a great lad. Not in the least bit far right.
    Provide a screen shot where Tommy said those things like a good lad, I look forward to you and the Boards Antifa crew posting the screen grabs thanks in advance!

Provide a screen shot where Tommy said those things like a good lad, I look forward to you and the Boards Antifa crew posting the screen grabs thanks in advance!

Why do you care?

• Advertisement

The police missed them, panorama missed them, his enemies missed them which includes activist organisations whose sole purpose is to expose and fight against 'hate', islamophobia etc. and who would have known all you had to do was go to his facebook page with 1 million + subscribers to find evidence of crimes that could have gotten him not only banned but put in jail.

The crime had so many victims that not one of them saw it.

The police missed them, panorama missed them, his enemies missed them which includes activist organisations whose sole purpose is to expose and fight against 'hate', islamophobia etc. and who would have known all you had to do was go to his facebook page with 1 million + subscribers to find evidence of crimes that could have gotten him not only banned but put in jail.

The crime had so many victims that not one of them saw it.

FB didnt miss them. and it is them that makes the rules for what appears on their site.

FB didnt miss them. and it is them that makes the rules for what appears on their site.

So you don't find it strange I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,325 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

It has a couple of examples here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tommy-robinson-facebook-ban-instagram-permanent-far-right-edl-racism-a8797451.html

And explains that he was given a warning for his posts in January.

Grayson wrote: »
    It has a couple of examples here.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/tommy-robinson-facebook-ban-instagram-permanent-far-right-edl-racism-a8797451.html

And explains that he was given a warning for his posts in January.

So it's basically a large multinational known for fabricating lies to governments and selling user information, against Robinson so excuse me if I want to see proof of the alleged posts he made.

what is it i am supposed to find strange?

So it's basically a large multinational known for fabricating lies to governments and selling user information, against Robinson so excuse me if I want to see proof of the alleged posts he made.

Yeah because posting stuff like that would be totally out of character for tommy.

Don't feed the troll buddy. I got caught up earlier too. You'll just end up being called a racist

Don't feed the troll buddy. I got caught up earlier too. You'll just end up being called a racist

can you point to the post where i called you a racist?

• Advertisement

Yeah because posting stuff like that would be totally out of character for tommy.

Any screenshots pal? You and the many thousands who hate him surely must have some proof?

what is it i am supposed to find strange?

That a man who's case is in front of the attorney general, in a country where online police surviellance is substantial, who is an enemy of the almost every journalist and anti-islamophobia group is getting away with criminality broadcast to millions of people.

can you point to the post where i called you a racist?

The implication was there to see.

Your implication that I would find it acceptable for people to urge beheadings of the followers of the Koran would indicate that way.

The fact that you purposely misquoted me to make it look like I said things I didn't.

Scroll back up there. Im on a phone at the minute so it's hard to multiquote.

But anyhoo, as enjoyable as it was, I was just trying to save someone else the trouble.

Any screenshots pal? You and the many thousands who hate him surely must have some proof?

Corporate capital has the modern Left by the bollox from anarchism to social democrats

Of all those following and monitoring Robinson, easily thousands out of his million followers, no one saw nothing. Including the police, hope not Hate, uaf etc etc.

The cry from the activists is trust capital, trust big business, ignore that lumped people, join the leafy suburb revolution, that is the modern Left.

Politics as a lifestyle.

That a man who's case is in front of the attorney general, in a country where online police surviellance is substantial, who is an enemy of the almost every journalist and anti-islamophobia group is getting away with criminality broadcast to millions of people.

You mean give him another excuse to claim persecution and grift from his followers for his legal expenses?

• Advertisement

You mean give him another excuse to claim persecution and grift from his followers for his legal expenses?

That is exactly what Facebook just did.

Just because they are class allies for the Left doesn't mean that they were right.

That is exactly what Facebook just did.

Yeah but now he is not their problem any more.
    Just because they are class allies for the Left doesn't mean that they were right.

If he posted the hate speech and incitement to violence that they claim he did they were right.

Yeah but now he is not their problem any more.

If he posted the hate speech and incitement to violence that they claim he did they were right.

Well we'll just have to go along then presume they are right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Panodrama now on Youtube for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

I'm anti-TR and am glad he's been given the boot off social media but to be totally honest I wouldn't expect to see him posting anything that blatant nowadays Most of the far right guys know these days that you can't go around openly saying stuff like that, so you have to pose as a concerned citizen while pedalling a narrative that demonizes whatever your "other" of choice is.

I wouldn't put it past TR to get hammered and post something like that then delete it straight away, but I am surprised nobody could manage to grab a screenshot. I thought he'd been kicked for something else in all honesty and would have presumed fb insta et al would have had more than enough ammunition to do so just from his esual carryon.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement