Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the maximum size of herringbone milking parlour that can be operated by one m

• 25-05-2018 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

What is the maximum size of herringbone milking parlour that can be operated by one milker?
    The parlour is a ten unit built in the seventies and I am thinking of extending it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

15 or 18 would keep you busy... depending on time of year and your routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 RV2

Which elements of my routine would it depend on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Running a 24 unit here, 1 man no problem.
    Acr, dumpline, auto washer, drafting, backing gate, air gates front and rear. Milking 160/170 cows per hour depending on the humour of cows. 15 min to wash down and scrape.
    Could actually do with a few more units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Know a man with a 30 unit with no cluster removers. When on his own he only uses 24. 2 men milking in spring tho. To make it one man show cluster removers essential and prob 24 units any more and cluster may spend more time hanging. Fast exit and entry too so if could set up that cows walk straight out no turning. Rapid exit jobs look the business but some of these things cost so much may as well look at a rotary set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,228 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

RV2 wrote: »
    Which elements of my routine would it depend on?

Your teat washing routine, your cubicle cleaning/lining routine, type of meal feeders used, if any ( manual, batch, or auto ID )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

In my set up the fourteen keeps me busy and i have a job keeping it at 8 minutes a row.in the morning on my own i dont strip just pre and post dip and in the evening when i have one the lads with me i do the jobs like taking samples, stripping, tail clipping /painting,pulling for ai

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

15 here going to 20 unit next year with room for 24

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

RV2 wrote: »
    What is the maximum size of herringbone milking parlour that can be operated by one milker?
    The parlour is a ten unit built in the seventies and I am thinking of extending it.

Allot depends on the unit spacing in the parlour too, with the older parlours you’ll be running about if you move above 16/18 units.

If you have the space to push out the troughs and turn the cows round more you’ll save about a foot for every unit so a 20 unit pit will be 20ft shorter which is a big deal if you plan to work it on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

whelan2 wrote: »
    15 here going to 20 unit next year with room for 24

would u be better off with a rotary than 24 units ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Rotary mad money

• Advertisement

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Rotary mad money
    Ye and I am also building cubicle shed too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

Milked in a 22 with no acrs and pig feeders. Jex herd you would actually put in 23/24 into it and get them milked while waiting for a slow one. You'd be fairly run off your feet. I wouldn't like to go any bigger if you're milking your self and trying to draft bullers or cows not for the tank.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye and I am also building cubicle shed too.

How many you plan milking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

In response to original question, I think it depends on number of cows in total to be milked. For example if you are running around a bit in a 24 unit for 5 rows it’s a lot easier than doing it for 10 or more rows

I think the number of rows is more important than the number of cows in the row, milking 150 for 6 rows of 25 is a lot easier than milking 150 for 10 rows of 15, in my opinion

Panch18 wrote: »
    How many you plan milking?

200 max. Milking just over 10 rows at the minute in 15 unit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

I milked 100 cows in a 12 unit 3' centers for a while, narrow 4' pit and pit not deep enough so had to stoop down to put on clusters. The pit was also congested, between the stooping and the obstacle course from one end of the pit to the other you'd be worn out after milking.

Advertisement