Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone still use powertap hub?

Options
  • 25-05-2018 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭

Looking to buy a set of carbon clinchers and there's a pair for sake online including a powertap hub. Sellers not looking big money as power tap needs to be looked at. Just wondering if anyone still uses these as a power meter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I have one on my commuter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I have one for the turbo and summer bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    . Sellers not looking big money as power tap needs to be looked at.

It depends what is meant by " looked at". If it's just worn bearings, it's easy enough to replace them ( and get used to it- the water sealing in the hub is poor). If the electronics are acting up and it's not just worn batteries, it could well be a write-off. Powertap repair involves shipping the wheel to the UK, and the agents replacing rather than repairing the strain gauges and electronic gubbins. Unless the costs have changed dramatically in recent years, you'd be looking at a bill of a couple of hundred euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭clog

I've got one on a bike at the moment, I re- tested it out a couple of months ago putting it on the another of my bikes which has a Power2max meter on it.

Went out with the 2 powermeters and two separate garmins recording the ride. The figures were very similar and funnily enough the powertap showed up changes on its Garmin a split second quicker. Overall on a 60km ride the powertap read about 4 watts lower average and the peak power (sprint)was also about 15 watts lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

I have one I need to get fixed, my Stages has been much more reliable for longer, need to send it to Paligap in the UK, reckon its about 200-300 to fix it under reads by about 100W at the minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

After contacting seller, turns out power meter just stopped working. He changed the battery and had it recalibrated. Probably best avoided?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    After contacting seller, turns out power meter just stopped working. He changed the battery and had it recalibrated. Probably best avoided?

Take it for a ride and see if it reads right, but sounds dodgy and if it reads bad its 200-300 to fix most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Save yourself the heartache, get a p2m: https://www.power2max.com/en/typs-s-road/

I have a Campag version and a Rotor 3D+ version. Flawless.

Advertisement