Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

Greaney wrote: »
    I'll begin by saying that I don't think that green ways should only be built if they're CPO free. There seems to be an understanding on this thread that CPOs are fine for motor vehicles (bus lanes, motorways etc.) so I believe what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

In short, river easements linking the historical (Ancient East) sites of East Galway between Tuam & Athenry. Some folk have started on this project (I attended a presentation on it) and I think it looks like it has real potential.

Nothing more than a cheap distraction trick that's had it's rug pulled from underneath it by landowners before it got a chance to crawl. Even the the TD who commissioned it denies its' validity now. Welease the wepot wossy and give our heads some peace.

I'll begin by saying that I don't think that green ways should only be built if they're CPO free. There seems to be an understanding on this thread that CPOs are fine for motor vehicles (bus lanes, motorways etc.) so I believe what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

In short, river easements linking the historical (Ancient East) sites of East Galway between Tuam & Athenry. Some folk have started on this project (I attended a presentation on it) and I think it looks like it has real potential.

Nothing against CPO's they serve a purpose, just pointing out they wouldn't needed in the case of the disused rail line

Got a route that we could look at?

I've looked at a map and can see no way to link up Athenry & Tuam in the manner you outlined so I'm really curious to see what route this would take.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

Nothing against CPO's they serve a purpose, just pointing out they wouldn't needed in the case of the disused rail line

I've looked at a map and can see no way to link up Athenry & Tuam in the manner you outlined so I'm really curious to see what route this would take.

You'd probably need some CPOs to provide access to all of the roads that the WRC crosses. Not all of that land is in the right of way. As for a way to link Athenry and Tuam, I would begin by linking Athlone to Galway via Athenry. Then you can begin to consider linking Tuam or Loughrea as subsidiary projects. Otherwise, there really isn't a project that would attract funding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

No

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

No

Seamus Heaney’s words apply here.

“Of open minds as open as a trap,

Where tongues lie coiled, as under flames lie wicks”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I note that although the GP support the reopening of further sections of the WRC, they also suggest that fewer trains stop at some stations, so as to increase average speeds.

No

Care to ask those folks who gave the presentation for the route?

Or let me know how to get in touch with them so I can ask them myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Care to ask those folks who gave the presentation for the route?

Or let me know how to get in touch with them so I can ask them myself.

I can only imagine the conversation you’ll want to have with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShaneC1600

Why the fascination with a greenway between Tuam and Athenry though? The greatest merit a greenway has between the two towns is the disused CPO free railway, even in the unlikely event it becomes a used railway in the short term then why would a parallel greenway be built at a bigger cost to the council?
    Especially when Athenry could be lobbying for Dublin to Galway greenway to go through the town.

• Advertisement

ShaneC1600 wrote: »
    Why the fascination with a greenway between Tuam and Athenry though? The greatest merit a greenway has between the two towns is the disused CPO free railway, even in the unlikely event it becomes a used railway in the short term then why would a parallel greenway be built at a bigger cost to the council?
    Especially when Athenry could be lobbying for Dublin to Galway greenway to go through the town.

I would have thought that the Dublin to Galway greenway would be a higher priority; however Ciaran Cannon scuppered that route by siding with the landowners when the route was being planned. To run that greenway alongside the railway would be madness, not least because the greenway would stop the line between Athlone and Galway being doubled (which it needs) but also who wants to cycle beside an operational railway anyway?

Sligo eye wrote: »
    who wants to cycle beside an operational railway anyway?

I do- and have done. You haven't lived until you've tried it. Very different experience to cycling alongside a busy road. And how do assume that a greenway alongside the railway will be at the expense of double-tracking? CPO'ing a few meters of land alongside the alignment is a very different prospect to running a lazy line through a map that divides farms in half and resricts access to farmers.

I would have thought that the Dublin to Galway greenway would be a higher priority; however Ciaran Cannon scuppered that route by siding with the landowners when the route was being planned. To run that greenway alongside the railway would be madness, not least because the greenway would stop the line between Athlone and Galway being doubled (which it needs) but also who wants to cycle beside an operational railway anyway?
    In reality, it is the track between Athlone and Portarlington that needs doubling as it serves both Galway and Westport/Ballina.

Yes, indeed, our first priority was the Eurovelo and what we could draw from there. We know the funding is in place and the negations had begun. Alas, our TD did something I honestly can't understand and I still don't understand. He took a 'sure thing' that was going through the heart of his constituency and sabotaged it with press releases. :confused:

Meanwhile, our community were not on the eurovelo and were looking for routes off it. We had a meeting to explore linking the Eurovelo up through East Galway. It makes sense to look to the rivers & historical sites, so we were looking at places like Abbeyknockmoy along the way.

So to answer everyones question 'no' we don't have paperwork we can upload on this forum. We're still at the google maps, pencil & paper stage ;) It's also a moving target since the Velo is moving so slowly, so we're looking to engage with the velo and see can we offer support.... and maybe, if Loughrea don't want it through their town.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

It's not a greenway between Tuam and Athenry. the fascination is with a greenway between Athenry and Enniskillen, connected to the great western greenway via a link to the Castlebar-turlough house greenway, in Mayo, and to the Dublin Galway greenway at Athenry. That is the fascination or fantasy we are seeking......and as we have always said if the route is required for rail then so be it in the future when it is possible....the message does not change.

westtip wrote: »
    It's not a greenway between Tuam and Athenry. the fascination is with a greenway between Athenry and Enniskillen, connected to the great western greenway via a link to the Castlebar-turlough house greenway, in Mayo, and to the Dublin Galway greenway at Athenry. That is the fascination or fantasy we are seeking......and as we have always said if the route is required for rail then so be it in the future when it is possible....the message does not change.

And to be clear; the goal is to have a second North-South rail route from Derry-Cork to act as a spine for redevelopment of the key towns and cities in the Western half of the country. The route that the Greenway camp are seeking is under active requirement for a rail service so is not available.

• Advertisement

It makes sense to look to the rivers & historical sites, so we were looking at places like Abbeyknockmoy along the way.

So to answer everyones question 'no' we don't have paperwork we can upload on this forum. We're still at the google maps, pencil & paper stage ;) It's also a moving target since the Velo is moving so slowly, so we're looking to engage with the velo and see can we offer support.... and maybe, if Loughrea don't want it through their town.... :rolleyes:

Link to Abbeyknockmoy, on and from, the Quiet Man Greenway at Ballyglunin with the cyclway into the village already fully completed.

And to be clear; the goal is to have a second North-South rail route from Derry-Cork to act as a spine for redevelopment of the key towns and cities in the Western half of the country. The route that the Greenway camp are seeking is under active requirement for a rail service so is not available.

Ah the Gerry Murray party line so...No problem with the North South Rail route, but why along the alignment of the Western Rail Trail route, no sane rail planner would choose that route, go look at the Road Lobbyists they always elect for an appropriate greenfield route that will deliver a proper product, why not follow their success instead of constantly seeking to use a C19th winding route that will not deliver what you are seeking to achieve.

Oh and is the Velorail in the same school a the saboteurs from the greenway camp?

Bottom of page 5- https://cllr.galwaycoco.ie/media/MM.01.20%20Signed.pdf

Muckyboots wrote: »
    Link to Abbeyknockmoy, on and from, the Quiet Man Greenway at Ballyglunin with the cyclway into the village already fully completed.

Thanks was going to point this out

So you say you want people to look at alternatives like "this one" but won't provide any details around it.

I recall a few years ago something like that suggestion being mooted. No route was provided then either when requested.

I look forward to being proven wrong but until a route map is produced I will be calling it was it is, a diversionary tactic and will treat it as such.

Provide a route and we'll talk, otherwise expect to be ignored

• Advertisement

So you say you want people to look at alternatives like "this one" but won't provide any details around it.

I recall a few years ago something like that suggestion being mooted. No route was provided then either when requested.

I look forward to being proven wrong but until a route map is produced I will be calling it was it is, a diversionary tactic and will treat it as such.

The ultimate diversionary tactic is the greenway campaign.

Diverting against waste of an unused state asset, towards using it for the benefit of all the towns and villages all along the route, guilty as charged

Look, I don't actually have to prove anything to you. I'd really rather if you did ignore me., but you can't seem to allow anyone who's pro-rail alone on line. You jump into every conversation demanding attention. :rolleyes:

If our projects are successful, folk know. If they're not... we don't scream & shout online to set ourselves up for public failure. I've seen enough folk in our community do that and everyone is getting tired of it. Our group are busying away doing what we do. We collaborate with other community groups, fellow cycling activists, and environmental groups to achieve our goals.

We don't want another 'Grand old Duke of York' project in our community, where the leadership take everyone on a merry dance to end up with nothing... deflated and disappointed.

I was advised many years ago, to keep working committees small, and plans private, till there was something to show.... It was good advice.

MB they just cannot accept what is happening, give them time to get over it.

And the Velorail?

Look, I don't actually have to prove anything to you. I'd really rather if you did ignore me., but you can't seem to allow anyone who's pro-rail alone on line. You jump into every conversation demanding attention.

Make up your mind, you want people to explore options or you don't and you want to keep them secret?

You offered an alternative, I engaged with you on that alternative, you refused to provide further info and were called on it, simple as.

btw, you do realise this is a discussion forum, right?

The Draft Programme of Government contains the following goals regarding rail transport.

Rail

We will protect existing services by continuing to ensure the level of payment required to operate the Public Service Obligation fleet is adequate to maintain and improve service capacity and frequency.

We will:

● In line with the commitment in the National Planning Framework to balanced regional development, prioritise rail projects in Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford on existing and unused lines.
    ● Continue to fund safety works and capital improvements to the rail network, expand the Irish Rail fleet and progress the electrification of rail services to decrease journey times and emissions.
    ● Commission an economic evaluation of higher speed rail links between our main cities.
    ● Improve cycling and storage facilities at stations and on trains, where possible.
    ● Enhance suburban and commuter rail across the country.
    ● Consider the report on the future of the Western Rail Corridor and take appropriate action.
    ● Ringfence funding to ensure swift train platform lift repair and upgrades, to ensure accessibility.

And for Greenways:

Greenways

We will lead the development of an integrated national greenways strategy. This has the potential to transform modal shift, improve air quality and public health.

This commitment to cycling will enable us to achieve the huge ambition of developing an integrated national network of greenways to be used by commuters, leisure cyclists and tourists. We will continue the coordinated approach between central government, local authorities and agencies to deliver on this ambition.

Tourism

We will:

● Work with local authorities and appropriate agencies to continue development of an integrated national network of greenways to be used by commuters, students, leisure cyclists and tourists.

● Support cross-border greenway projects, such as the Sligo-Enniskillen Greenway, and continue to fund longer-term projects across the country like the Galway to Dublin Greenway, Fingal Coastal Way and the extension of the Waterford greenway into the city centre.

See the full document for context: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/strongly-green-influenced-programme-for-government-drawn-up-1.4279051

ezstreet5 wrote: »

This is good news and it looks like the WRC can is going to be picked up and its rancid contents finally served. Some people will be disappointed. I honestly don't care if I am one of them.

This is good news and it looks like the WRC can is going to be picked up and its rancid contents finally served. Some people will be disappointed. I honestly don't care if I am one of them.

I think its great news all we have been asking for; The report to be seen, and if EY consulting have said build the railway then build it and slap a greenway in alongside, if they have said its a non runner then keep the route and build a greenway. Let's face it there was always going to be a fudge as long as that report remains under lock and key and this wording is probably the best way of keeping all parties happy.

It looks like the independent report from EY remains pivotal, so let's just see it and get closure on this whole thing one way or the other.

One thing is for sure there are no excuses now the report has be to be published, Although we have been told that the report has not been seen by the negotiating teams I no longer believe that, the sentence re the report would not be in the PFG unless they knew what they were letting themselves in for, would they be so open ended about a potential commitment to €250 million capex and ongoing subvention of millions a year. No they would not be that stupid, mark my words this report has been seen by the negotiating team and wording the PFG reference to the WRC like they have means the anti greenway crowd pro WOTs cannot use the WRC as an excuse not to support the agreement. End game me thinks, either way. Thank goodness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 534 ✭✭✭91wx763

● In line with the commitment in the National Planning Framework to balanced regional development, prioritise rail projects in Cork, Galway, Limerick and Waterford on existing and unused lines.

Knocks a few greenways on the head ??? (Le cúnamh Dé)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

westtip wrote: »
    No they would not be that stupid, mark my words this report has been seen by the negotiating team and wording the PFG reference to the WRC like they have means the anti greenway crowd pro WOTs cannot use the WRC as an excuse not to support the agreement. End game me thinks, either way. Thank goodness

I think looking at the bullet-points that ezstreet5 posted they have left themselves plenty of ambiguity to move either way. We should start getting more information and lip service from government but I fear the end game is still a long way down the line.

How would we all feel if the report says there is no gleaming immediate term business case to re-instate railway but also no definitive evidence it would be a roaring failure either? I'd be very surprised if the conclusion of the report was 'no chance'.

91wx763 wrote: »
    Knocks a few greenways on the head ??? (Le cúnamh Dé)
    No need to be clutching at straws. I don't think it could be any more specific on the WRC as it was elsewhere in the document.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

In reality, it is the track between Athlone and Portarlington that needs doubling as it serves both Galway and Westport/Ballina.

In reality. it's the line between Athlone and Mullingar that needs reopening.

I think looking at the bullet-points that ezstreet5 posted they have left themselves plenty of ambiguity to move either way. We should start getting more information and lip service from government but I fear the end game is still a long way down the line.

How would we all feel if the report says there is no gleaming immediate term business case to re-instate railway but also no definitive evidence it would be a roaring failure either? I'd be very surprised if the conclusion of the report was 'no chance'.

I believe that you're pretty close to the truth there. I was speaking to someone about it who, I have no doubt read it. He works for one of the parties, and he said, it doesn't commit to any 'stand' on the issue.

I think the issues that are going to decide what's next for the WRC are emissions, rural car dependence, infrastructural investment in the West, rather than tourism & cycling. It won't come soon enough for any of us faraor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,911 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Del.Monte wrote: »
    In reality. it's the line between Athlone and Mullingar that needs reopening.

The slower route with no spare capacity?

Can you, in detail, explain why?

I tend to agree with you, the report is likely to be fudge, it suits Govt of whatever shade to do nothing when two divergent points of view are in place. We will all have to wait and see. Hardly worth discussing anymore, nobody is listening to either side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

L1011 wrote: »

Because it used to be a railway. That's all we need to know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Yes.

Was this originally two track?

And, if so, does that mean no land acquisition required to re-double?

• Advertisement

Geuze wrote: »
    Yes.

Was this originally two track?

And, if so, does that mean no land acquisition required to re-double?
    The trackbed and bridges were designed for two tracks, but only one was ever laid.
    It would need minor earthworks to level the second line and some digging at the Tullamore cutting along the entire route there is space for the second track.

It would need the line between Mullingar - Dublin improving and ideally another station to replace Broadstone as a terminus.

The trackbed and bridges were designed for two tracks, but only one was ever laid.
    It would need minor earthworks to level the second line and some digging at the Tullamore cutting along the entire route there is space for the second track.

My understanding was that the GSR singled the line in the 1930s?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Tullamore is actually on the line from Portarlington to Athlone. It was built and laid as a single line track although some of the bridges on the line can accommodate two lines. The section approaching Tullamore would need significantly blasting to widen it but it could easily be retained as a single section for the 1/4 mile or so that it is.

The line between Mullingar and Athlone and Ballinasloe was a double track, as was the line from Athenry to Galway. The GSR singled the line from Clonsilla in the mid 1930's and used the surplus track work for relaying elsewhere along the network.

1. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,911 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It would need the line between Mullingar - Dublin improving and ideally another station to replace Broadstone as a terminus.

There is very little scope to improve the line between Mullingar and Dublin. The section from Maynooth inwards is going to have an ever increasing number of commuter trains on an appalling, effectively unchangeable alignment.

An entirely new alignment might be possible Kilcock-Mullingar at immense expense as it would be an entirely new railway, nowhere near the existing appalling (except for before Killucan where they diverge from the canal) alignment. Could get the win of serving Kinnegad; but any time savings there would not counteract the Maynooth section.

2. Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

not the Athlone - Portarlington line, the Athlone Mullingar line was singled.

3. Advertisement
    4. Posts: 31,118 ✭✭✭✭ [Deleted User]

There is very little scope to improve the line between Mullingar and Dublin. The section from Maynooth inwards is going to have an ever increasing number of commuter trains on an appalling, effectively unchangeable alignment.

An entirely new alignment might be possible Kilcock-Mullingar at immense expense as it would be an entirely new railway, nowhere near the existing appalling (except for before Killucan where they diverge from the canal) alignment. Could get the win of serving Kinnegad; but any time savings there would not counteract the Maynooth section.
      Yes, it would need major investment. The question is, would it be worth it?
      With the "new Normal" of WFH and fewer commuters, it may never be viable.

5. Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,228 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Mullingar Maynooth is not about straight line, going double will end the pain of waiting at stations for the section to be clear, even at current line speeds you could see 10-15 minutes saved at peak.

Getting rid of the level crossings on the Maynooth line will save several minutes as will new signalling as Clonsilla - Connolly is 1970's its not really setup for the high frequency we need today

6. Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

not the Athlone - Portarlington line, the Athlone Mullingar line was singled.

Lines were singled so the track could be reused to repair other bits around he network. The country and the train companies were broke and it was the best that they could do to keep the trains running. We were on our own.

7. Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

Lines were singled so the track could be reused to repair other bits around he network. The country and the train companies were broke and it was the best that they could do to keep the trains running. We were on our own.

Beware the modern-day scavengers of our rail system.

8. Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

ezstreet5 wrote: »
      Beware the modern-day scavengers of our rail system.

You can only scavenge broken down wrecks. If it's not worth fixing -it's just not worth fixing. I loved my Renault 4 with go faster stripes, but...... sorry, there's me going on about cars again.

9. Advertisement
    Advertisement