Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

160km/h is delusional. They can barely manage that on Cork to Dublin.No other track is afaik cleared for that speed. With an intermediate stop at Ballyglunin (perhaps) and slowing to take the Junction at Athenry (or stopping if the section is not clear) a high average is highly unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

Isambard wrote: »
    160km/h is delusional. They can barely manage that on Cork to Dublin.No other track is afaik cleared for that speed. With an intermediate stop at Ballyglunin (perhaps) and slowing to take the Junction at Athenry (or stopping if the section is not clear) a high average is highly unlikely.
    160 kph is the design standard, and not the actual speed or speed limit (otherwise, the travel time Tuam/Athenry would be <10 minutes, and nobody suggested that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

€78m capital cost at 2011 prices for an hourly service between Tuam and Athenry is not financially viable. Even that is likely light as the "Upgrade single track (120kph or less) to single 160kph" probably assumes an existing operational line given the reference to 120kph, the "or less" is unlikely to be as low as JCB speed.

As has been said before, a better (faster and more frequent) bus service could be provided at a small fraction of that cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShaneC1600

Thoughts or opinions on the Sligo rail line from Dublin in terms of usage, level of service and is there a need to have that line operational?

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    €78m capital cost at 2011 prices for an hourly service between Tuam and Athenry is not financially viable.
    Yeah it is. We just spent €1.149 billion building the Gort/Tuam Motorway. And we are hoping to spend an additional €612 million for the N6 Galway City Ring Road. And you are worrying about €78m to reinstate rail service to Tuam?
    Even that is likely light as the "Upgrade single track (120kph or less) to single 160kph" probably assumes an existing operational line given the reference to 120kph, the "or less" is unlikely to be as low as JCB speed.
    Even if it €100m, it is still worth it.
    As has been said before, a better (faster and more frequent) bus service could be provided at a small fraction of that cost.
    I don't believe that a one-hour journey time from Tuam to Galway in the morning makes Tuam an attractive place to live for a person working in Galway. Yet, 2000 passengers per day use the congested service. It's not good enough.

ezstreet5 wrote: »
    Yeah it is. We just spent €1.149 billion building the Gort/Tuam Motorway. And we are hoping to spend an additional €612 million for the N6 Galway City Ring Road. And you are worrying about €78m to reinstate rail service to Tuam?
    Even if it €100m, it is still worth it.I don't believe that a one-hour journey time from Tuam to Galway in the morning makes Tuam an attractive place to live for a person working in Galway. Yet, 2000 passengers per day use the congested service. It's not good enough.

You might want to double check some of your figures

You might want to double check some of your figures
    Which ones?

I don't know where you got that figure for the Gort/Tuam Motorway but any reported cost I saw was half that. I would rather the Galway Bypass wasn't built as I don't think it represents good value for money. Neither does spending that much for a low frequency shuttle train service. Just because something else cost more, doesn't make this lesser amount good value.
    Even if it €100m, it is still worth it.

Based on what? A report was complied but has been hidden away for some strange reason. Hopefully the next Transport Minister will publish it, warts and all.
    I don't believe that a one-hour journey time from Tuam to Galway in the morning makes Tuam an attractive place to live for a person working in Galway. Yet, 2000 passengers per day use the congested service. It's not good enough.

Rather than spending tens of millions on a railway to provide a shuttle service to Athenry for connection to onward services to Galway, a bus could be provided at little cost (both capital and operational) and would likely be a superior service in terms of frequency and possibly in terms of speed also. You have to consider the times of potential connections in Athenry, if the first train leaves Tuam to connect with a particular train in Athenry, then takes on hour to go back to Tuam and return to Athenry, when is the next train from Athenry? It is possible that there would only be one train leaving Tuam which would suit commuters, getting them into Galway at a reasonable time. It is unlikely to be an attractive service for commuters. At least buses could hit every connection and you wouldn't be left waiting for an hour if you missed one (plus possible wait when you finally get to Athenry). Reinstating the rail line doesn't automatically create a good service, there are many limitations, particularly on a single track line, particularly when you have a single track connecting to an already congested single track.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

€78m capital cost at 2011 prices for an hourly service between Tuam and Athenry is not financially viable. Even that is likely light as the "Upgrade single track (120kph or less) to single 160kph" probably assumes an existing operational line given the reference to 120kph, the "or less" is unlikely to be as low as JCB speed.

it's very financially viable however you would need to aim for a half hourly service minimum.
    to me it sounds like an absolute bargain compared to other schemes however the bigger schemes would have to take priority.

a very very basic bus service yes, however it is going to end up getting stuck in the same traffic and realistically there are already enough bus services for those who want them and if more are needed operators will grow them themselves.
    the only way you would be able to provide this bus service is complete segregation from any other road traffic so it can move freely throughout it's journey, that is going to be expensive itself i would imagine.
    either way, bus services don't get us out of needing rail, they have their place but as a secondary sollution where cities are involved.
    I don't know where you got that figure for the Gort/Tuam Motorway but any reported cost I saw was half that. I would rather the Galway Bypass wasn't built as I don't think it represents good value for money. Neither does spending that much for a low frequency shuttle train service. Just because something else cost more, doesn't make this lesser amount good value.

Based on what? A report was complied but has been hidden away for some strange reason. Hopefully the next Transport Minister will publish it, warts and all.

Rather than spending tens of millions on a railway to provide a shuttle service to Athenry for connection to onward services to Galway, a bus could be provided at little cost (both capital and operational) and would likely be a superior service in terms of frequency and possibly in terms of speed also. You have to consider the times of potential connections in Athenry, if the first train leaves Tuam to connect with a particular train in Athenry, then takes on hour to go back to Tuam and return to Athenry, when is the next train from Athenry? It is possible that there would only be one train leaving Tuam which would suit commuters, getting them into Galway at a reasonable time. It is unlikely to be an attractive service for commuters. At least buses could hit every connection and you wouldn't be left waiting for an hour if you missed one (plus possible wait when you finally get to Athenry). Reinstating the rail line doesn't automatically create a good service, there are many limitations, particularly on a single track line, particularly when you have a single track connecting to an already congested single track.

again with the shuttle train statement, there is nothing to show that the train will be a shuttle train, there is nothing to show it will run to athenry only with a change to another train.
    your bus is subject to all that goes with road transport and subsiquent congestion, so it hitting whatever is not a guarantee.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Advertisement

Minister Shane Ross stated (bragged) in the Dáil on 11th July 2018 the following:

'Notwithstanding the budgetary position of the State at that time, the Government proceeded with the largest transport project in this State since 2011. This was the Gort-Tuam motorway which opened last year and which was prioritised and delivered at the height of the economic crisis at a total cost to the Exchequer and PPP contractors of €1.149 billion.'

https://www.oireachtas.ie/en/debates/debate/dail/2018-07-11/31/#spk_281
    Let's not be naïve. That report isn't going to be nakedly released without some sort of "pleased to see" announcement, whether it is a rail project or a greenway project. But €100 million is not that much money for a major piece of infrastructure, even if the number has a lot of scary zeros.
    If you are suggesting that the solution is a bus between Tuam and Atherny Rail Station, I would suggest that adding 9 km to the journey (via the motorways), or using the Athenry-Tuam Road, is not really a solution. We shouldn't be misers when it comes to transport infrastructure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

There is no question of shuttles? Trains would be Tuam to GY.

It seems to me that doubling GY-Athenry must happen first.

That benefits all the DUB-GY trains, and the existing GY-Limerick trains.

It seems to me that doubling to Athenry at 160kph (and left ready for electrification) should be promoted/sold as reducing delays, cutting journey times, and allowing higher frequencies, for ALL pax: intercity, local traffic to Athenry, WRC to Limerick, and the possible WRC to Claremorris.

Doubling to Athenry allows stations in Renmore/Merlin, Roscam, with city bus stops at these stations, modal transfers to Parkmore, Doughiska, new hosp in Merlin Park.

It also allows higher frequencies to Oranmore (the 8am is packed).

This mention of a manual LC near Oranmore, does that mean staffed? Hardly? Or is it a reference to the crossing over the former N18 near the Quality hotel?

My estimate wasn't to that level of detail, but I'll try to answer some of your questions:

(1) The per-km cost is to upgrade the line to 160 kph single track.
    (2) Yes, trains could pass at Tuam, Ballyglunin, and Athenry.
    (3) It could, but I would not expect a frequency higher than hourly.
    (4) Athenry-Galway can be made in 18 mins, but there is still a manual level crossing near Oranmore and low speed limit on the Lough Atalia Br. Athenry Tuam is a few km longer, but is fairly straight, so perhaps double to 36 minutes. If Athenry Galway was double-tracked, manual level crossing near Oranmore removed, and additional platforms were at Galway, I believe the journey time can be reduced to 30 minutes Tuam to Galway.

Thanks.

If we are going to do it, let's do it right.

Build second track GY-Athenry first, 160kph, eliminate speed restriction on Lough Atalia bridge.

30 mins journey time would be great.

But need to have more than hourly dep from Tuam in morning peak.

Geuze wrote: »

It seems to me that doubling to Athenry at 160kph (and left ready for electrification) should be promoted/sold as reducing delays, cutting journey times, and allowing higher frequencies, for ALL pax: intercity, local traffic to Athenry, WRC to Limerick, and the possible WRC to Claremorris.
    Or double-tracking should happen concurrently with the WRC. There is nothing more frustrating than rushing to get to Athenry Station for a Galway or Dublin bound train, only to sit there for five minutes waiting for the meeting train to pass. Or, leaving Galway, only to languish on the Lough Atailia bridge waiting for the inbound to pass.
    Doubling to Athenry allows stations in Renmore/Merlin, Roscam, with city bus stops at these stations, modal transfers to Parkmore, Doughiska, new hosp in Merlin Park.

It would. Unfortunately the recent announcement mentioned both "double tracking" and a "passing loop," so there is an obvious conflict. My fear is that someone will stupidly claim, "Well, a passing loop at Oranmore is a double track." No, the double track needs to go from Renmore (where it becomes single) to Atherny, at minimum.
    This mention of a manual LC near Oranmore, does that mean staffed? Hardly? Or is it a reference to the crossing over the former N18 near the Quality hotel?
    It is XG159, which is an unstaffed boreen. That limits the speed to 50 kph both up and down.

If we are going to do it, let's do it right.

If only I was George Michael (pbuh).

That's my point, no meaningful service can be provided to/from Tuam without an entire upgrade of the line between Athenry and Galway - an upgrade no works have started on and will take a long time to deliver. It is unlikely at this stage that we would see such upgraded by the end of the decade given the lack of progress and other lines taking priority. Reinstating the line to Tuam would come later, so why not provide an alternative bus service in the intervening 10+ years?

If this was really about sustainable transport, people would be shouting for such a bus service, at least as in interim measure, given how ease and cheap it would be to provide it. Instead, people say they don't want such a bus service, despite the environmental and sustainability rhetoric about the train. Obviously the fear is that the cost of providing a new rail service v an existing bus would kill the rail, which speaks volumes about the viability of it.

• Advertisement

yes on a local level double track Athenry to Galway first makes sense, but on a national level, where would such a scheme come in terms of cost/benefit priority on a network crying out for investment in so many places?

That's my point, no meaningful service can be provided to/from Tuam without an entire upgrade of the line between Athenry and Galway - an upgrade no works have started on and will take a long time to deliver. It is unlikely at this stage that we would see such upgraded by the end of the decade given the lack of progress and other lines taking priority. Reinstating the line to Tuam would come later, so why not provide an alternative bus service in the intervening 10+ years?

If this was really about sustainable transport, people would be shouting for such a bus service, at least as in interim measure, given how ease and cheap it would be to provide it. Instead, people say they don't want such a bus service, despite the environmental and sustainability rhetoric about the train. Obviously the fear is that the cost of providing a new rail service v an existing bus would kill the rail, which speaks volumes about the viability of it.
    A bus service between where and where?

That's my point, no meaningful service can be provided to/from Tuam without an entire upgrade of the line between Athenry and Galway - an upgrade no works have started on and will take a long time to deliver. It is unlikely at this stage that we would see such upgraded by the end of the decade given the lack of progress and other lines taking priority.

It's 2020 now.

There is really something wrong with society if it takes 10 years to lay maybe 20km (?) of track.

I agree about the priority of other projects.

But if it was decided to double GY-Athenry, I'd hope it could be done within 12-24 months of the decision being made to go ahead.

No land acquisition required, AFAIK.
    No planning permission required, AFAIK.

Compare with time taken to build Eiffel tower, skyscrapers in 1920 NYC.

A bus service between where and where?

Between Tuam and Athenry train station. We keeping getting told here that there is such demand for this that we should spend >€75m on a reinstating a rail service! This is the flaw in the rail line logic, huge cost and effort is required to provide a rail link but no point in putting in a bus service which will cost very little and can provide a more frequent service!

It's 2020 now.

There is really something wrong with society if it takes 10 years to lay maybe 20km (?) of track.

I agree about the priority of other projects.

But if it was decided to double GY-Athenry, I'd hope it could be done within 12-24 months of the decision being made to go ahead.

No land acquisition required, AFAIK.
    No planning permission required, AFAIK.

Compare with time taken to build Eiffel tower, skyscrapers in 1920 NYC.

Double-tracking between Galway and Athenry would require removing level crossings, rerouting roads to provide bridges, embankment alterations, etc. Lots of heavy engineering works. It requires design, environmental assessment, planning approval, procurement and construction. It is also well down the list of priorities and other projects which have to be advanced before this gets a look in.

• Advertisement

it doesn't speak anything about the viability of rail, as a bus service being viable or not has nothing to do with the viability of rail, they are both very different and i suppose to an extent target different markets.
    however for decades the "shur a bus l do begorra" attitude has been the prevailing attitude to try and get us out of necessary rail expansion, so if there is indeed a fear that any bus service would be used to not invest in rail, it is a legitimate fear from what i can see.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Yet more rail freight traffic is on the way for the Mayo region. At this rate they'll need to double track the line from Ballina to Portarlington as well as the line onwards to Galway.

https://fleet.ie/xpo-logistics-to-create-a-new-ballina-waterford-rail-freight-service/?fbclid=IwAR12j_6QQt-sISjf6j6Cpve_zC3LfKk21F_UcJOd93BefOvSvq3Rv24uUxk

Double-tracking between Galway and Athenry would require removing level crossings, rerouting roads to provide bridges, embankment alterations, etc. Lots of heavy engineering works. It requires design, environmental assessment, planning approval, procurement and construction. It is also well down the list of priorities and other projects which have to be advanced before this gets a look in.

That sounds like a nightmare. It's 8 km and probably 10 minutes longer. Services couldn't be coordinated, and you would be adding to the chaos of Athenry traffic during the a.m. and p.m. peaks (with 3000 students en route to school). There is already chaos at the railway station when certain services arrive in the evening, and imagine the Tuam shuttle bus stuck at the level crossing for the train it is trying to meet.

it doesn't speak anything about the viability of rail, as a bus service being viable or not has nothing to do with the viability of rail, they are both very different and i suppose to an extent target different markets.
    however for decades the "shur a bus l do begorra" attitude has been the prevailing attitude to try and get us out of necessary rail expansion, so if there is indeed a fear that any bus service would be used to not invest in rail, it is a legitimate fear from what i can see.

It depends on what constitutes "necessary rail expansion". I don't think spending significant sums of money to provide a very limited rail service to a town with a small population should be considered necessary. Particularly when a superior bus service can be delivered at little cost. We have plenty of places where investment will deliver more returns than reopening the rail line to Tuam.

The point remains, if the demand is there to justify spending >€75m on reinstating the rail line which isn't going to happen by the end of the decade, why not provide a bus service which could be in place by the year in the meantime to satisfy this demand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

It depends on what constitutes "necessary rail expansion". I don't think spending significant sums of money to provide a very limited rail service to a town with a small population should be considered necessary. Particularly when a superior bus service can be delivered at little cost. We have plenty of places where investment will deliver more returns than reopening the rail line to Tuam.

The point remains, if the demand is there to justify spending >€75m on reinstating the rail line which isn't going to happen by the end of the decade, why not provide a bus service which could be in place by the year in the meantime to satisfy this demand?

Because
    1. Buses do not drive modal shift
    2. You are arguing on the basis that the land use and transportation policy for Galway remains the same for the next forty years, driving ribbon development and car dependency
    3. It isn’t only about connecting Tuam to Athenry.

Because
    2. You are arguing on the basis that the land use and transportation policy for Galway remains the same for the next forty years, driving ribbon development and car dependency
    3. It isn’t only about connecting Tuam to Athenry.

1. Buses can drive model shift. Modal shift demands on the quality of service, not just the type of service. Tuam - Athenry will deliver a poor quality of service, one train an hour will hardly drive much modal shift. Trial the bus first and see what the experience is. There is also the question of whether the shift is big enough to justify the investment required. This was likely looked at in the report which was prepared, but again, that is being kept from us.

2. I am not. I'm arguing on the realities of the situation. Are we seriously going to see land use and transportation policy for Galway change to significantly increase density in Tuam such that it can justify large capital infrastructure spend over other parts of the network?

3. Well without an entire upgrade of the Galway - Athenry line first, that is all you will get from this rail line. Until G-A upgrade is being progressed, this is only about connecting Tuam to Athenry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Because

Well buses on their own add little to modal shift.

If buses get priority as in bus lanes, and priority at traffic lights, such that cars stuck in traffic see buses sail past as they wait, then that makes the driver and passenger think 'Why am I not on that bus?'

The second driver of modal shift is the availability of parking. If that is in short supply, then why not park outside the restricted parking zone and travel in on the bus? P&R is the obvious solution here. Oxford do this quite qell, as parking in Oxford is a nightmare, but park and ride is easy.

The third driver is cost. If we want modal shift them make the bus dirt cheap. In plan is a 90 min fare as part of Busconnects - so why not introduce that now? Of course, it would only make sense if there were a few buses, but they could work on that, instead of waiting until the bypass is built.

The railway from Tuam to Athenry does not figure in this list, and probably would not even come in the top thirty.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShaneC1600

It is only 15 miles from Athenry to Tuam with a potential to have a design speed of 100mph. This would connect 9000 + people to the city of Galway and with connections to Limerick and Dublin. This is in itself has the potential to remove many cars from the already congested trip into Galway through Claregalway and closer to Galway on a daily basis. Depending on the trainset provided for the trip this could be done in under 35 min with a stop in Athenry and possibly in Ballyglunin where a park and ride could be provided at the side of the N83.
    I believe this should be carried out in the same project as doubling of the Athenry 2 Galway line which is being pressed by both Galway City and County Council and Irish Rail where more stations along the line with bus stops and park and ride would reduce the need for cars within the city.

For connectivity reasons the remainder of the WRC should be continued to Claremorris. This section, 16 miles of track connecting over 40,000 people (Castlerea-2000, Ballyhaunis-2300, Castlebar-12000, Ballina-10,400, Westport-6200, Tuam-9000) to Galway City with an alternative hard public transport. So for 31 miles of track reinstatement the potential to open up 40,000 people to the city of Galway and beyond.
    40,000 people is not a remarkable number but similar numbers of people are along the Sligo line north of Mullingar (Sligo-19,000, Boyle-2500, Carrick on Shannon-4,000, Longford-10,000, Collooney-1600, Ballymote-1500, Edgworthstown-2500) where the track length is 58 miles, single alignment. On census day 2018, 2810 people boarded and alighted the train from these stations.
    On average between 3-5% of the population of a town use rail on a daily basis. (https://www.nationaltransport.ie/wp-content/uploads/2019/07/National_Heavy_Rail_2019_FA_ONLINE.pdf)
    Example Westport: Alighting and boarding = 286 persons with 6200 population giving 4.6%.

This is similar for most established stations therefore Tuam Station could expect 400 passengers a day equivalent to near 150,000 passengers a year from this station alone.
    This is not just a commuting option but also a tourist benefit. Over 1.6 million tourists visit Galway every year. Connecting these tourists with towns like Tuam and Claremorris and onto other high tourist areas in Mayo would have the potential to transform these towns if they upped their tourist offering and if the greenway was alongside the railway tourists and locals could cycle out and get the train back, win-win.

Another benefit of the WRC is that it could remove freight from the mainline freeing up space on the already congested Athlone branch line, possibly buying time before the requirement to double tracking this section.
    For full connectivity of the west of Ireland buses do not cut it and will not provide the modal shift required.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

What freight? There is next to no freight on Irish rail.

you have to change at Limerick Junction for Limerick most of the time. How on earth could anyone assume there would be a through service from Tuam when there would be two services to change into at Athenry for Galway.

• Advertisement

While there isn't a lot nationally there still is traffic, most of which emanates out of Mayo. Ballina is not far from bursting point it carries so much freight. Claremorris has had additional sidings installed to allow additional storage for rolling stock while Westport recently had to reopen it's freight yard for timber trains.

Meanwhile, the news of a new freight flow for XPO to Waterford shows that there is growth and custom for freight. The onset of Brexit and uncertainly around customs checks for EU bound freight will likely work in the favour of such flows.

a bus that will in all likely hood end up getting stuck in the same huge congestion problem that galway has doesn't sound like a superior bus service, at least not to me anyway.
    you will get a basic bus service at little cost but it already exists in the form of whatever buses that are traveling from tuam as it is which i have no doubt do serve the demand for bus services from those who want them quite well.
    a bus does not get one out of investing in rail, if tuam actually does need major investment in public transport going forward, then a railbased sollution of some sort is the only option to deliver actual modal shift, with bus services playing a secondary roll and providing transport integration.
    1. Buses can drive model shift. Modal shift demands on the quality of service, not just the type of service. Tuam - Athenry will deliver a poor quality of service, one train an hour will hardly drive much modal shift. Trial the bus first and see what the experience is. There is also the question of whether the shift is big enough to justify the investment required. This was likely looked at in the report which was prepared, but again, that is being kept from us.

2. I am not. I'm arguing on the realities of the situation. Are we seriously going to see land use and transportation policy for Galway change to significantly increase density in Tuam such that it can justify large capital infrastructure spend over other parts of the network?

3. Well without an entire upgrade of the Galway - Athenry line first, that is all you will get from this rail line. Until G-A upgrade is being progressed, this is only about connecting Tuam to Athenry.

again, we do not know that the train will only go between tuam and athenry, no service pattern has been released, or if it has, i have never come across it.
    buses can create modal shift in some cases, but where they will end up getting stuck in large amounts of traffic such as in galway, i have to say i find it hard to believe they would create much if any.

yes there is .
    it isn't anything near the amount it once was, and it's mostly concentrated on mayo, but most certainly there is freight on irish railways.
    you have to change at Limerick Junction for Limerick most of the time. How on earth could anyone assume there would be a through service from Tuam when there would be two services to change into at Athenry for Galway.

a change somewhere else on the network wouldn't guarantee anything in relation to tuam to galway.
    there very well may be a change athenry and there may not be, the reality is we just do not know and are just speculating either way, even if 1 or 2 individuals against the reopening have tried to claim a change at athenry will exist as absolute fact.
    without the line been given the go ahead to reopen, without a confirmed service pattern (at least i have never come across one) then we are in the dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

This is going to be huge for Mayo. And their media coverage of it has a lot more information like this this article

Following on from another article in January

While there isn't a lot nationally there still is traffic, most of which emanates out of Mayo. Ballina is not far from bursting point it carries so much freight. Claremorris has had additional sidings installed to allow additional storage for rolling stock while Westport recently had to reopen it's freight yard for timber trains.

Meanwhile, the news of a new freight flow for XPO to Waterford shows that there is growth and custom for freight. The onset of Brexit and uncertainly around customs checks for EU bound freight will likely work in the favour of such flows.

isn't the "new" freight service just a reinstatement of that withdrawn a year or two ago? SO not growth and probably not new custom either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Greaney wrote: »
    This is going to be huge for Mayo. And their media coverage of it has a lot more information like this this article

Indeed. And this is the kicker.
    f you’re going to grow the region by a couple of hundred thousand, how are you going to facilitate that if you take away one of the infrastructures that could be such use?”

Quite.

Bus sucks. Train is deluxe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Bus sucks. Train is deluxe.
    :D

I have to admit, as a tourist abroad.... I'll always choose train (tram/tube) over the bus. It's a lot more user friendly if you're not familiar with the area it's easier to use. If your impaired it's easier.

Bus doesn't take bikes
    The private bus (Athenry) charges extra on top of a travel pass
    It's a hassle/impossible for buggies and wheelchairs/mobility scooters to use the bus
    It gets stuck in traffic

Ah Mayo, you're gas

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,235 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why would level crossings have to be removed when double tracking?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Why would level crossings have to be removed when double tracking?

they don't have to be, however removal of level crossings generally should be aimed for where possible as ultimately it allows for speeding up of services.

again, we do not know that the train will only go between tuam and athenry, no service pattern has been released, or if it has, i have never come across it.
    buses can create modal shift in some cases, but where they will end up getting stuck in large amounts of traffic such as in galway, i have to say i find it hard to believe they would create much if any.

We do know that train will only go between Tuam and Athenry because there no space on the Galway - Athenry line for trains from Tuam to Galway. The G-A upgrade is well down the priorities list so that constraint will remain for a long time.

The bus wouldn't get stuck in Galway because it would be providing a connection to train at Athenry. I am pointing out that the same shuttle service could be provided by bus in a few weeks that won't be available by train for more than 10 years. We keep hearing how there is demand for a rail line which will cost at least €75m to build, yet a bus service which will cost less than 1% of that won't work! Pure hypocrisy.

Freight from Mayo doesn't help justify further spending on WRC. The two lines converge in Athlone, east of which is where the main congestion is. Double tracking Athlone - Portarlington remains the best investment for rail services to/from the west.

We do know that train will only go between Tuam and Athenry because there no space on the Galway - Athenry line for trains from Tuam to Galway. The G-A upgrade is well down the priorities list so that constraint will remain for a long time.

The bus wouldn't get stuck in Galway because it would be providing a connection to train at Athenry. I am pointing out that the same shuttle service could be provided by bus in a few weeks that won't be available by train for more than 10 years. We keep hearing how there is demand for a rail line which will cost at least €75m to build, yet a bus service which will cost less than 1% of that won't work! Pure hypocrisy.

Freight from Mayo doesn't help justify further spending on WRC. The two lines converge in Athlone, east of which is where the main congestion is. Double tracking Athlone - Portarlington remains the best investment for rail services to/from the west.
    Nobody wants a crappy shuttle bus from Tuam to Athenry. It would be a little piece of hell. €75m is chump change. Don't be a cheapskate when it comes to infrastructure in the west. Invest!

we don't know the train will only go between tuam and athenry.
    we know nothing in terms of service pattern, we are just speculating.

a bus from tuam to athenry brings nothing to the table as there are already bus services from tuam to whatever the destinations are, that are serving the demand for bus services, however a rail service from tuam to galway can decrease road users and congestion.
    there is no hypocracy at all, you are seeing things that aren't there.

the wrc does not go to athlone, it goes between limerick and sligo technically, the main bits being from limerick to athenry and athenry to claremorris.

Nobody wants a crappy shuttle bus from Tuam to Athenry. It would be a little piece of hell. €75m is chump change. Don't be a cheapskate when it comes to infrastructure in the west. Invest!

Apparently they already invested 1.1 billion* to connect Tuam and Athenry with a shiny 4 lane motorway

*Was actually 550 mil but sure who's counting

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Muckyboots

A crappy shuttle train from Tuam to Athenry would be one trip wonder at best. A kind of overgrown fun train, if you like. Then people would go back to service user orientated buses and their dreaded cars......oh and bicycles, e-bikes on greenways.

Muckyboots wrote: »
    A crappy shuttle train from Tuam to Athenry would be one trip wonder at best. A kind of overgrown fun train, if you like. Then people would go back to service user orientated buses and their dreaded cars......oh and bicycles, e-bikes on greenways.
    If you are happy with the current 60 minute bus trip Tuam to Galway - at the amazing speed of 32 kph! - then let's maintain the status quo so that €75 million can be spent, um, not here. Oh yeah, if you are from Tuam and want to go to anywhere other than Galway, you won't mind the extra hour+ to go to Galway first. But off the top of my head, I can't think of a reason that a person from Tuam would want to go to, say, Dublin. They'd have no business there. Maybe they shouldn't be going to Galway either. And greenways to where for commuting? Tuam to Galway? Athenry to Galway? Not provided under any scenario. I suppose there may be severals of people that live in Atherny and work in Tuam (or vice versa) for whom a greenway would benefit them from a commuting perspective.

isn't the "new" freight service just a reinstatement of that withdrawn a year or two ago? SO not growth and probably not new custom either.

No, this is a new carrier. You are thinking of DFDS freight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

:D

I have to admit, as a tourist abroad.... I'll always choose train (tram/tube) over the bus. It's a lot more user friendly if you're not familiar with the area it's easier to use. If your impaired it's easier.

Bus doesn't take bikes
    The private bus (Athenry) charges extra on top of a travel pass
    It's a hassle/impossible for buggies and wheelchairs/mobility scooters to use the bus
    It gets stuck in traffic

I also do the same. Far easier to understand where the stops are and when your stop is approaching. In an earlier post, somebody mentioned about Castlerea - Ballyhaunis being linked to Galway. However, based on what I have read here, I believe that would mean the commuter has to change at Claremorris and then at Athenry. I doubt many would do it. But I certainly have done so on travels throughout Europe.

It would be interesting to see how it would work. If there was no demand for it, then surely there would be no demand for the rail service?

we don't know the train will only go between tuam and athenry.
    we know nothing in terms of service pattern, we are just speculating.

If the paths don't exist, you can't provide the service.
    a bus from tuam to athenry brings nothing to the table as there are already bus services from tuam to whatever the destinations are, that are serving the demand for bus services, however a rail service from tuam to galway can decrease road users and congestion.
    there is no hypocracy at all, you are seeing things that aren't there.

A rail service from Tuam to Galway will decrease road users and congestion but won't be happening for at least a decade, probably a lot longer, so it is a mute point. It certainly is hypocritical to say a bus from Tuam to Athenry brings nothing to the table but promote a rail service which as it stands can only be the same journey but at lower frequency. If your concern is reducing congestion within this decade, this rail line brings nothing to the table.

By how much will a rail service from Tuam to Galway decrease road users and congestion? Is it enough to justify the massive cost of providing that service? The answers may be in the report a TD wanted prepared but then didn't seem interested in getting published. Hopefully the next Minister lets us in on it.
    the wrc does not go to athlone, it goes between limerick and sligo technically, the main bits being from limerick to athenry and athenry to claremorris.

I didn't say WRC goes to Athlone, I was talking about freight services on their way to Waterford.

• Advertisement
Advertisement