Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

ezstreet5 wrote: »
    Well, we'll need to see it. I would hate it if it said, "There is a competing motorway from Tuam to Galway, so there is no need for rail service." That would be gross misunderstanding of local conditions. Freight, I believe, is advanced to qualify for TEN-T funds. So that the Irish would not need to foot the bill entirely for reactivation of the line.

Diverting existing railfreight flows would not qualify for a cent, though.

Which is why Ryan's "plan" is a pipe dream, clearly concocted to try give some glimmer of hope in light of a report saying passenger is unviable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭IE 222

westtip wrote: »
    I am deffo having a Homer Simpson moment "Duhhhh?" Have you not heard the noblesse of West on Track talking about re-opening the railway line to Sligo....phase 4 I think they call it. The Sligo Greenway is very much part of the Western Rail Trail from Enniskillen to Athenry along the route of the closed railway line....It has been discussed on this thread many times as I am sure you are aware.

WOT wishes are one thing but the discussion in the dail is about Phases 2 and 3. It's not been purposed to reroute your 1000 freight trains via Sligo. Debating and rubbishing claims regarding the Athenry - Claremorris section with greenway plans in Sligo is more Homer Simpson style. Surely you must be able to offer some sort of greenway figures in order to counter the rail claims for the Athenry - Claremorris.

We know x amount of people are commuting between Tuam and Galway and what its expected to cost but what information are you using to tell us a greenway between Tuam and Athenry is a better benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,766 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that it's been stated here that the permanent way is 18m wide between Athenry and Tuam, then surely a greenway and relaid track can co-exist beside each other?

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

L1011 wrote: »
    Diverting existing railfreight flows would not qualify for a cent, though.

Which is why Ryan's "plan" is a pipe dream, clearly concocted to try give some glimmer of hope in light of a report saying passenger is unviable.

You've not seen the report, and neither have I. My concern is that it won't address Galway a.m. and p.m. bottlenecks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Greaney

Geuze wrote: »
    Given that it's been stated here that the permanent way is 18m wide between Athenry and Tuam, then surely a greenway and relaid track can co-exist beside each other?

Perhaps. I think it would be prudent for Quietman Greenway campaign to look into that, along with other alternatives. They're so passionate about it, it would be sad to just give up if the railway line re-opened

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Greaney wrote: »
    Perhaps. I think it would be prudent for Quietman Greenway campaign to look into that, along with other alternatives. They're so passionate about it, it would be sad to just give up if the railway line re-opened

I'm sure the feasibility study into the greenway will consider the alongside option, just like that for the greenway north of Claremorris. If usable space is available and it is feasible, I'm sure the report will recommend it (it wasn't feasible north of Claremorris). I'm sure those associated with the greenway campaign, and everyone who supports the idea of the greenway, would be more than willing to accept it alongside the rail line or provision for same, most probably see that as the best option.

Given the greenway is far more likely to happen in the short to medium term, the rail campaign should actively support the greenway alongside. Not doing so will see nothing happen with the line for many years while the line deteriorates and the prospect of adverse possession increases. It would be great if the rail campaign would look into such alternatives, rather than imaginary freight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

But what to do while waiting for a railway? Just let it grow more bushes and tell us that we'll have a freight train any day now?
    That's what we've been getting from the last few governments, and probably from this one too.

Geuze wrote: »

They could, of course, but it would require a railway to be built and a greenway put in place as part of the project.
    In Sligo, the feasibility report showed that laying a greenway on the track bed was about a quarter of the cost compared to building it alongside the remains of the old railway. It would involve new bridges, culverts etc while bypassing what is already there, existing infrastructure that may never be used for anything. The increased cost would make it uncompetitive when applying for funding, as well as being wasteful, and it wouldn't necessarily protect the rail route.
    The smart option is to build the greenway cheaply using the existing base. Then if a railway is ever funded, the project can include a greenway alongside it, a simple job in the context of building a railway.
    Personally, while I think a railway may be an option in a couple of decades if demographics change drastically, I don't see it happening in many of our lifetimes. But if it does, it is unlikely to be built entirely on the old route. Blocking an interim use of the old route is not smart thinking.
    Really smart thinking might involve pushing for a dual carriageway to replace the N17, with enough land acquired for a railway alongside it that could accommodate trains doing more than thirty miles an hour, and the old rail route developed as a major tourist and leisure corridor.
    But smart doesn't win votes.

https://www.sligococo.ie/n17kcaec/#maincontent
    The Knock to Collooney N17 replacement is already being planned. Some of the options cross the disused railway.

• Advertisement

The Knock to Collooney N17 replacement is already being planned. Some of the options cross the disused railway.
    If West on Track was really serious about a Sligo-Galway rail link, they'd be screaming for a rail alignment alongside the improved roadway, bypassing the twisting, slow old alignment.
    But that won't happen, so neither will the railway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

%22Smokescreen%22_%281964%29.jpg

eastwest wrote: »
    If West on Track was really serious about a Sligo-Galway rail link, they'd be screaming for a rail alignment alongside the improved roadway, bypassing the twisting, slow old alignment.

Why would West on Track 'scream' about that? Like the Quietman Greenway they're looking at an option for public transport where there won't be CPO's. If that's fair enough for a greenway then it's fair enough for rail.

There seems to be a myth out there that the old alignment is twisting??

Looks straight to me! The rail line takes in communities that don't have a bus service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭serfboard

The rail line takes in communities that don't have a bus service.
    Are we back to talking about the metropolis of Ballyglunin again?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭intellectual dosser

Why would West on Track 'scream' about that? Like the Quietman Greenway they're looking at an option for public transport where there won't be CPO's. If that's fair enough for a greenway then it's fair enough for rail.

Looks straight to me! The rail line takes in communities that don't have a bus service.

I believe the road improvement extends from Collooney to Knock, whereas the video shows Claremorris to Athenry (the remainder of the distance). Its north of Claremorris that the line gets bendy.

So I think rail to Athenry to Claremorris would be fine on the existing WRC line, but I'd agree with Westtip that there seems to be (have been?) an opportunity to at least consider a new railway alignment with a new road, or at least the provision for the land if people want to consider current feasibility.

serfboard wrote: »
    Are we back to talking about the metropolis of Ballyglunin again?!
    We'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

The real issue is this, if West on Track had ambition they would seek a totally new alignment, in particular north of Claremorris, which is a piped dream in any event, your premise that the current alignment is fair enough for rail and fair enough for greenway means an aspiration for a poor railway route. The Roads lobby would never have accepted merely widening the main trunk roads and a few simple bypasses (the rosary bead solution), they wanted proper infrastructure. What is the point in building a new railway line on an old alignment that will give you C19th travelling speeds? I have never understood the lack of ambition. When you think about it - if you wanted to build a new railway from Limerick to Galway wouldn't you want it to run by Shannon Airport and take a more direct line to Galway than via Athenry? If that had been done journey times Limerick - Shannon Airport - Galway would be far more efficient than what we ended up with.

The real issue is this, if West on Track had ambition they would seek a totally new alignment, in particular north of Claremorris, which is a piped dream in any event, your premise that the current alignment is fair enough for rail and fair enough for greenway means an aspiration for a poor railway route. The Roads lobby would never have accepted merely widening the main trunk roads and a few simple bypasses (the rosary bead solution), they wanted proper infrastructure. What is the point in building a new railway line on an old alignment that will give you C19th travelling speeds? I have never understood the lack of ambition. When you think about it - if you wanted to build a new railway from Limerick to Galway wouldn't you want it to run by Shannon Airport and take a more direct line to Galway than via Athenry? If that had been done journey times Limerick - Shannon Airport - Galway would be far more efficient than what we ended up with.
    There is a particular opportunity with the N17 project for the acquisition of a small amount of extra land that would comprise a reservation for a future railway that might make sense at some point. This is a one-off point in time when this should be looked at, but the railway lobby is ineffective and relies mostly on the 'entitlement' approach, or basing arguments on exaggerated speculative figures as we have seen of late, so this opportunity will be lost.
    There is no case currently for this railway, but who knows what will happen in a post-covid world, when focus may change away from the city-based model of work? Broadband may change the picture where imaginary freight will not, and opportunities for rail or similar transport may form part of a solution at some point. An alignment that allows for high-speed travel will certainly have a better chance of success than one that relies on a level crossing every half mile.

Ambition hasn't delivered anything in the west for quite some time, how far would back would you have to go for a major infrastructure investment of national importance...Shannon Airport? Ardnacrusha? The N17 between Curry and Collooney has been an embarrassment for decades. The Galway city ring road has been in the works for almost as long and even today feels as far away as ever. Ambitions are nice but get you nothing.

So while I agree with you that its worth considering the provision of rail in the N17 project, perhaps WOT are instead aiming at what they can realistically get. If the phases from Athenry to Claremorris are built could further phases use the existing alignment with some CPOs for straightening or avoiding stretches with intensive road crossings...there are possibilities.

If I understand it correctly the current government have committed to spending max 33% (figure may be off) of capital investment on roads - with N17 competing against Limerick to Cork and other road projects maybe WOT are hedging their bets or again...going with what they feel is most realistic.

Ambition hasn't delivered anything in the west for quite some time, how far would back would you have to go for a major infrastructure investment of national importance...Shannon Airport? Ardnacrusha? The N17 between Curry and Collooney has been an embarrassment for decades. The Galway city ring road has been in the works for almost as long and even today feels as far away as ever. Ambitions are nice but get you nothing.

So while I agree with you that its worth considering the provision of rail in the N17 project, perhaps WOT are instead aiming at what they can realistically get. If the phases from Athenry to Claremorris are built could further phases use the existing alignment with some CPOs for straightening or avoiding stretches with intensive road crossings...there are possibilities.

If I understand it correctly the current government have committed to spending max 33% (figure may be off) of capital investment on roads - with N17 competing against Limerick to Cork and other road projects maybe WOT are hedging their bets or again...going with what they feel is most realistic.
    What many in the west fear is that the rail-obsessed greens, prodded on by a small group of rail enthusiasts, will commit significant funding to this project and will then walk away and point to this wasted opportunity as their commitment to rural Ireland. The west will get a fantasy railway that will gradually run down as the heavy subsidy is pared back to protect busy services, and the government will be able to say, we gave you what you asked for, what's your problem?
    In the meantime, much-needed infrastructure in the west like the N17, the Galway bypass and improving rail times between Galway/Sligo and Dublin will be sidelined for lack of funding.

The other thing to note about the proposed N17 upgrade project is that the road type requires pedestrian/cyclist facilities to be provided, either adjacent to the new road or on an alternative alignment. There may be an opportunity to utilise the WRC north of Claremorris as the pedestrian/cyclist route. This looks like it will be delivered regardless so would be at no cost to the road project. There could be an argument to be made that the CPO corridor should be wide enough to allow for a rail line instead. The route options for the N17 are out for consultation at the minute.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The other thing to note about the proposed N17 upgrade project is that the road type requires pedestrian/cyclist facilities to be provided, either adjacent to the new road or on an alternative alignment. There may be an opportunity to utilise the WRC north of Claremorris as the pedestrian/cyclist route. This looks like it will be delivered regardless so would be at no cost to the road project. There could be an argument to be made that the CPO corridor should be wide enough to allow for a rail line instead. The route options for the N17 are out for consultation at the minute.

PC we all know full well a cycle path alongside a busy road is not going to attract tourists and families out on a sunday afternoon spending money on a day out. It is a good idea for the hard core diehard road cycling brigade as it makes it safer to do that kind of cycling but it is not a greenway substitute.

Ambition hasn't delivered anything in the west for quite some time, how far would back would you have to go for a major infrastructure investment of national importance...Shannon Airport? Ardnacrusha?
    What the hell are you talking about?

Ever heard of Knock Airport?

Ever heard of the M6, the M18, the M17?

Gas pipelines to the West of Ireland including Tuam and Galway city?

Or, if they aren't current enough for you, how about the Turlough-Westport dual carriageway, currently under construction?

Of course, we could have built more had we not squandered over 100 million on a barely-used line between Ennis and Athenry.

Or, if they aren't current enough for you, how about the Turlough-Westport dual carriageway, currently under construction?

Of course, we could have built more had we not squandered over 100 million on a barely-used line between Ennis and Athenry.

Plus the new transatlantic cable making landfall at Killala, which opens up huge data processing, cloud hosting etc opportunities.....but of course we don't want data processing plants the new minister wants to bring back Asahi!!!!!

Plus the new transatlantic cable making landfall at Killala, which opens up huge data processing, cloud hosting etc opportunities.....but of course we don't want data processing plants the new minister wants to bring back Asahi!!!!!
    Unfortunately, while data centres might provide a lot of jobs during construction, they don't employ too many people when they're up and running.

We'll definitely need freight trains to carry all that data around though!

We could have built an additional 5.3 km of motorway.

Unfortunately, while data centres might provide a lot of jobs during construction, they don't employ too many people when they're up and running.

We'll definitely need freight trains to carry all that data around though!

Cloud hosting and software houses will benefit greatly from this infrastructure though but of course I am forgetting what West on Track said years ago:
    West on Track July 20th 2009 The Western Rail Corridor has already created 400 jobs in the construction phase and will deliver many thousands of jobs in private sector companies, once operational.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

no evidence of it happening yet.

OK, my point was poorly argued but it stands that the west of Ireland does not get enough investment to support sustained economic growth in comparison to other regions.

I've heard of Knock Airport, I've heard that the locals had to start building it themselves before they got government support. I'm only here to discuss things tbh I'm not keen on grabbing a shovel and laying tarmac or railway myself :D

PC we all know full well a cycle path alongside a busy road is not going to attract tourists and families out on a sunday afternoon spending money on a day out. It is a good idea for the hard core diehard road cycling brigade as it makes it safer to do that kind of cycling but it is not a greenway substitute.

I was saying they should forget about the cycle path alongside a busy road, focus on the greenway on the former rail line. The hard core diehard road cycling brigade will be on the 2+2 road anyway, where they are permitted. I'm saying that the rail advocates should be looking for an opportunity here as the northern part of the WRC is as good as gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 202 ✭✭seekers

OK, my point was poorly argued but it stands that the west of Ireland does not get enough investment to support sustained economic growth in comparison to other regions.

I've heard of Knock Airport, I've heard that the locals had to start building it themselves before they got government support. I'm only here to discuss things tbh I'm not keen on grabbing a shovel and laying tarmac or railway myself :D

That is a fact. I saw the documentary about. Jim Mitchell from Dublin complaining about spending money on an airport. It sounded so petty and begrudging. Fr horan was saying then what everyone is saying now. The only difference is that nobody puts I investment in the West in to action

• Advertisement

I was saying they should forget about the cycle path alongside a busy road, focus on the greenway on the former rail line. The hard core diehard road cycling brigade will be on the 2+2 road anyway, where they are permitted. I'm saying that the rail advocates should be looking for an opportunity here as the northern part of the WRC is as good as gone.

Yep know your views on this PC just reiterating the point I know you support.

I've been involved in enough campaigns & groups to know bad advice when I see it.

Additional stops proposed that will greatly improve the commuter options for Limerick. A park and ride at Cratloe would be beneficial for Shannon residents.

Audio included in the link.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/three-new-stops-proposed-for-limerick-to-ennis-rail-line/

Additional stops proposed that will greatly improve the commuter options for Limerick. A park and ride at Cratloe would be beneficial for Shannon residents.

Audio included in the link.

https://www.live95fm.ie/news/live95-news/three-new-stops-proposed-for-limerick-to-ennis-rail-line/

Good idea it will create more commuter traffic on the pre-existing Limerick-Ennis line, mind you are they putting in passing loops for the express intercity trains from Limerick to Galway? I guess not, so the "intercity" trains will get slower.

Good idea it will create more commuter traffic on the pre-existing Limerick-Ennis line, mind you are they putting in passing loops for the express intercity trains from Limerick to Galway? I guess not, so the "intercity" trains will get slower.

All investment in the WRC is welcome and beneficial.

Why would you do that? There are already passing loops at Ennis, Gort, and Athenry.

All investment in the WRC is welcome and beneficial.

Its not on the WRC its on the pre-existing Ennis/Limerick commuter line, just as Oranmore is not on the WRC it's on the pre-existing the Athenry - Galway commuter line.

Its not on the WRC its on the pre-existing Ennis/Limerick commuter line, just as Oranmore is not on the WRC it's on the pre-existing the Athenry - Galway commuter line.

Oh yeah, sorry!! I forgot that!!

giphy.gif

Oh yeah, sorry!! I forgot that!!
    Totally agree. Ennis to Limerick is NOT part of the WRC, except when it floods at Ballycar, at which point it is properly considered part of the WRC. But only then.

• Advertisement

Totally agree. Ennis to Limerick is NOT part of the WRC, except when it floods at Ballycar, at which point it is properly considered part of the WRC. But only then.

Luckily enough bicycles are impervious to water and can cut right through said floods :pac:

Luckily enough bicycles are impervious to water and can cut right through said floods :pac:
    Yeah, just don't do it too often :P
    img_20180107_202607_117.jpg

PS: I can see the rust is fake on the photo, but what the hell.

I'd argue that Limerick to Ennis is on the corridor, just not on the rebuilt section. Oranmore though is definitely not on the WRC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

Isambard wrote: »
    I'd argue that Limerick to Ennis is on the corridor, just not on the rebuilt section. Oranmore though is definitely not on the WRC

correct.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

Yeah, just don't do it too often :P

PS: I can see the rust is fake on the photo, but what the hell.
    That's actually an awesome bike with the added benefit of discouraging locals from hounding you to buy their scones.

That's actually an awesome bike with the added benefit of discouraging locals from hounding you to buy their scones.

Though it's not sufficiently fit or flashy or worthy to thread upon any greenway. Shame on you and your High Nelly attitude.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,759 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Sunday Business Post reports WRC reviews rule out reopening. I am not subscribed so cannot see full article.

https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/plans-revealed-for-new-and-upgraded-rail-lines-in-cork-limerick-and-waterford-ba79d6d7

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Sunday Business Post reports WRC reviews rule out reopening. I am not subscribed so cannot see full article.

https://www.businesspost.ie/transport/plans-revealed-for-new-and-upgraded-rail-lines-in-cork-limerick-and-waterford-ba79d6d7

Shocked, Shocked, etc!

Here's some of the WRC part of the article:
    Meanwhile, two reviews of the long abandoned Western Rail Corridor line from Athenry in Galway to Claremorris in Mayo will be published by Ryan in the new year.

He confirmed that both reports – one from EY and the other from JASPARS – recommended against reopening the line for passenger services.

“The report from EY comes back and what it says is, the numbers who would likely use it from Claremorris and Tuam into Galway is relatively small. If you are going from Claremorris or Tuam to Galway, going to Athenry (station) is the long way round. You are far quicker getting a bus into Galway. So the train service wouldn’t have a big advantage and the numbers would likely be very small,” he said.

Campaigners who wanted to turn the abandoned rail line into a greenway had hoped the publication of the two reports would help them advance their plans. However, Ryan said he believed there was potential for the Western Rail Corridor to be used to ship freight all the way to Foynes port, if the abundant wind energy off the north-west coast attracted new industry there to use that power.

So basically, it states the blindingly obvious.

Even though he talks about reopening it for freight, it seems that even that is more wishful than anything else. It's to be looked at as part of an all island rail review, to which even he acknowledges: “I know everyone will say, ‘Jaysus, another bloody rail review’, but I think it’s asking the right question, which is the wider question,” he said.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »

Short version, both rail reports found no case for building a railway north of athenry for passenger traffic. However, as a sop to three WOT TDs who have his head annoyed in the corridors, he will commission another report of freight traffic for heavy industry in mayo. This might mean looking at the freight option in 10 or 20 years, when it won't be his problem. Anyway, it will shut up the three hecklers and there will be no need to spend any money in east galway or mayo.

Short version, both rail reports found no case for building a railway north of athenry for passenger traffic. However, as a sop to three WOT TDs who have his head annoyed in the corridors, he will commission another report of freight traffic for heavy industry in mayo. This might mean looking at the freight option in 10 or 20 years, when it won't be his problem. Anyway, it will shut up the three hecklers and there will be no need to spend any money in east galway or mayo.

but presumably the end result is no Greenway for the foreseeable future.

Wasn't the JASPARS report into freight potential and was commissioned when the first report didn't return the desired findings? It must have found that even adding it to the mix wont make WRC viable (more money well spent!).

The new report would appear to look at the whole island network, would this be related to the potential for HSR to be examined as part of the agreement to get everyone to return to Stormont? A report looking at HSR would be a waste of money so maybe it is going to be broader than that. Rather than calling time on the WRC, Ryan is just pushing it out to another wider report. When this report comes to the same conclusions for WRC, expect him to say we need another report looking at Europe as well. That right question will just keep changing so he never has to give a definitive answer.

• Advertisement
Advertisement