Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Western Rail Corridor / Rail Trail Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    There is a huge difference between a bridge to carry some cyclists and a bridge to carry a train. If a greenway was being being built, a lightweight structure would suffice. Sizing the bridge to carry a train would be a huge cost increase and completely change the economics of the project. If the train service is being reinstated a suitable bridge can be built then, such a bridge would be required anyway if a greenway has not been already built. Building a bridge to carry a train before the actual project to provide the train service would be a colossal waste of money.

Unless the line is formally abandoned then any bridge built on the alignment must be fit for purpose. That is to say, it must be ready and able to carry a bonafide standard gauge railway.

To go with a non railway bridge requires planning permission, the requisite paperwork, legal papers, architectural reports, a probable heritage report if it uses old stonework or pillars and so on. Sure, so long as the railway act which facilitated the lines construction is still in place, to plan a non railway bridge in lieu is illegal and will just be rejected, if not initially then at appeal stage.

Ironically it will be more economical, legally sound and a lot less hassle to simply reinstate a replacement rail bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

Unless the line is formally abandoned then any bridge built on the alignment must be fit for purpose. That is to say, it must be ready and able to carry a bonafide standard gauge railway.

To go with a non railway bridge requires planning permission, the requisite paperwork, legal papers, architectural reports, a probable heritage report if it uses old stonework or pillars and so on. Sure, so long as the railway act which facilitated the lines construction is still in place, to plan a non railway bridge in lieu is illegal and will just be rejected, if not initially then at appeal stage.

Ironically it will be more economical, legally sound and a lot less hassle to simply reinstate a replacement rail bridge.

My post clearly addresses a greenway bridge in the context where a greenway is being built on the line. This could only happen having received all relevant permissions (from CIE, CoCo, etc.). If that wete the case, it would mean that rail is off the table for the foreseeable future in which case a full rail bridge would not be required.

I was making the point that there is no point in building any bridge if it not going to be used. Building a rail bridge without also upgrading the rest of the line to provide rail services would be a waste of money.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭ezstreet5

[...]

Exactly. No other private or public railway company would have allowed that outcome if there were even a 1% chance of reactivation. A new bridge was part of the plan and TII agreed to fund it with the view that "reinstatement of this bridge is consistent with government objectives and ensures that there is no prejudice caused by this development to the reinstatement of the western rail corridor and redevelopment of same." But a few wanted to play poverty politics by conspicuously eschewing Government funding at a level slightly exceeding chump change.

How is it economically sound to reinstate a bridge to a standard that would take a train, that will probably never take a train again?

The reported budget to replace it was EUR 1,000,000.
    For a 1% probability?

For those that haven't been in the area recently, Google street view has been updated and this is what it looks like now:
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/MHD6CUbeQfCftLh2A

If/when the greenway is built, I imagine no bridge will be built. Ramp it up and down, build some traffic calming and a crossing of some sort and link it into the other path which runs all the way to Abbeyknockmoy.

For a contrast if on a computer you can select the version of streetview from 2009.

How is it economically sound to reinstate a bridge to a standard that would take a train, that will probably never take a train again?

The reported budget to replace it was EUR 1,000,000.
    For a 1% probability?

For those that haven't been in the area recently, Google street view has been updated and this is what it looks like now:
    https://maps.app.goo.gl/MHD6CUbeQfCftLh2A

If/when the greenway is built, I imagine no bridge will be built. Ramp it up and down, build some traffic calming and a crossing of some sort and link it into the other path which runs all the way to Abbeyknockmoy.

For a contrast if on a computer you can select the version of streetview from 2009.

The railway bridge will be replaced by TII at their expense when they are required to do so by CIE. It's probably the sensible option for all parties to take a wait and see approach on the replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

ezstreet5 wrote: »
    Folk were actively campaigning against reinstating that bridge, which would have been usable for either option. Those same folk also claiming that they want to preserve the line. There's a serious disconnect in their mindset.

It is not rocket science, the bridge was taken down to widen the road, ok if the railway gets built in 40 or 50 years time put a new bridge in meantime as I said a pedestrian crossing will suffice with ramps down the embankment, I would not advocate a greenway bridge it would be better spent elswhere a safe road crossing will be perfectly acceptable. Get a sense of realism would ya.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

westtip wrote: »
    It is not rocket science, the bridge was taken down to widen the road, ok if the railway gets built in 40 or 50 years time put a new bridge in meantime as I said a pedestrian crossing will suffice with ramps down the embankment, I would not advocate a greenway bridge it would be better spent elswhere a safe road crossing will be perfectly acceptable. Get a sense of realism would ya.

A pedestrian style bridge might suffice - maybe off set from the railway track so that it will remain if the line is ever restored. I am thinking of the bridge at the end of the Tuam bypass.

I said a pedestrian crossing will suffice with ramps down the embankment, I would not advocate a greenway bridge it would be better spent elswhere a safe road crossing will be perfectly acceptable. Get a sense of realism would ya.
    Aim low. Additional savings can be realized if we don't tarmac your greenway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If you're honestly advocating for a decent greenway, you need to get past the idea that an at-grade crossing of a national road is any way a good idea. It's not.

Who's taking the court case?

What old stone work? Where?

monument wrote: »
    If you're honestly advocating for a decent greenway, you need to get past the idea that an at-grade crossing of a national road is any way a good idea. It's not.

Good question. Where did the stone go?

"The proposed bridge will replace the existing one on the same railway alignment. The bridge will have reinforced concrete foundations and abutment walls. It is proposed from an architectural and heritage point of view that the stonework used on the existing bridge be re-used as masonry facing to the bridge abutments."

http://gccapps.galwaycoco.ie/viewexternaldocuments/ViewPDF?ref=1933107#page=9

• Advertisement

monument wrote: »

Cut and cover underpass then, I don't think that road is so busy that it couldn't take a traffic light pedistrian crossing, I know of a busier road just outside Luton Airport parkway that takes more traffic and has a pedestrian crossing with lights, you simply hit the button and ask for traffic to stop, it works rather well in the rest of the world.

Aim low. Additional savings can be realized if we don't tarmac your greenway.

Just to correct your statement, I will have no ownership of the QMG, and personally I have no problem with it not been tarmacadamed, rolled and ready to go compound will be fine. I don't consider it aiming high or low just want to see the route used whilst we while away the next 40 years waiting for a freight train.

If a greenway is provided on the line, a lightweight bridge there would make sense, far better than a road crossing. It would be far cheaper than a rail bridge and could be easily removed if rail use was to be reinstated. The bridge would likely see many years of use before being removed (if ever) to justify the cost of installing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

I wonder if a bridge is justified when there are presumably dozens of busier places in the Country where a footpath or cycle path crosses a road.

A pedestrian crossing-type arrangement might be adequate

Isambard wrote: »
    I wonder if a bridge is justified when there are presumably dozens of busier places in the Country where a footpath or cycle path crosses a road.

It would suffice but would be suboptimal. Crossing a lesser road at would be fine but this is a National Secondary with good alignment so traffic would be moving pretty fast.

as i said, there must be dozens of similar crossings nationwide, providing a bridge just because there once was a bridge there is not sufficient reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

It's a dead straight road that is lightly trafficked, except when people are going or coming to and from work. It's no busier than a suburban street, it doesn't need a bridge or an underpass, just a stop barrier at either end of the greenway and a marked crossing point.

It wasn't reinstated for a number of reasons.
    Primarily, the idea was dropped because it was silly, there was no rail project proposed for this route by anybody, and building a bridge would have exposed anyone building it to ridicule and the Minister wouldn't agree to it either, for the same reason. The best any local politician could get out of TII was for them to pay for the design of a new bridge. According to the national press they spent 70k on design work on a bridge they knew wasn't going to be built, which was a bit of a scandal in itself, but would have paled into insignificance compared to the public outcry if the bridge had actually been built.
    The other reason was that the original road had been dipped to go under the old bridge. The new road had the carriageway leveled for safety reasons, effectively raised closer to the original deck, and any new bridge would have had to be raised by a considerable amount above the old track level, about two metres as I recall from memory. Apparently there was some discussion about it, but again it was felt that it would be such a visual example of a daft idea that nobody would sign off on it. The other option, the cost of raising the track for about a mile in each direction but again with no rail project in plan was also dismissed as being too blatant a waste of public funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,195 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

eastwest wrote: »
    It wasn't reinstated for a number of reasons.
    Primarily, the idea was dropped because it was silly, there was no rail project proposed for this route by anybody, and building a bridge would have exposed anyone building it to ridicule and the Minister wouldn't agree to it either, for the same reason. The best any local politician could get out of TII was for them to pay for the design of a new bridge. According to the national press they spent 70k on design work on a bridge they knew wasn't going to be built, which was a bit of a scandal in itself, but would have paled into insignificance compared to the public outcry if the bridge had actually been built.
    The other reason was that the original road had been dipped to go under the old bridge. The new road had the carriageway leveled for safety reasons, effectively raised closer to the original deck, and any new bridge would have had to be raised by a considerable amount above the old track level, about two metres as I recall from memory. Apparently there was some discussion about it, but again it was felt that it would be such a visual example of a daft idea that nobody would sign off on it. The other option, the cost of raising the track for about a mile in each direction but again with no rail project in plan was also dismissed as being too blatant a waste of public funds.

what public outcry?
    the reality is most people wouldn't care a less, they might think it a bit stupid but would just get on with their lives.

as neither option has been chosen to reuse the line currently, then presumably the bridge, and the reasons for not replacing it currently, are irrelevant, but would only become relevant once either one of the options is chosen, if losty dublin is correct.

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

what public outcry?
    the reality is most people wouldn't care a less, they might think it a bit stupid but would just get on with their lives.

as neither option has been chosen to reuse the line currently, then presumably the bridge, and the reasons for not replacing it currently, are irrelevant, but would only become relevant once either one of the options is chosen, if losty dublin is correct.

I completely agree with you. No one would have batted an eyelash had the bridge project been framed as, "We need to replace this bridge because the railway may one day be reactivated, and if that does not happen, it might alternatively be used as part of a greenway." But there are a few who were poised to ridicule and try to turn this bridge into the Children's Hospital of the West, and they may have won themselves a crappier greenway for that effort.
    The other option, the cost of raising the track for about a mile in each direction but again with no rail project in plan was also dismissed as being too blatant a waste of public funds.

And this is another exaggeration. The Part 8 application materials stated:

"The railway line either side of the proposed railway bridge will be regraded to tie in to the revised bridge levels. The extents of the railway regrading works will be approximately 250m to the north of the bridge and approximately 100m to the south of the bridge. It is proposed that all works to the railway line be undertaken within the railway property boundary."

• Advertisement

Personally I'm looking forward to cycling over that road, should be nice views from that height for the greenway

I completely agree with you. No one would have batted an eyelash had the bridge project been framed as, "We need to replace this bridge because the railway may one day be reactivated, and if that does not happen, it might alternatively be used as part of a greenway." But there are a few who were poised to ridicule and try to turn this bridge into the Children's Hospital of the West, and they may have won themselves a crappier greenway for that effort.

...And this is another exaggeration. The Part 8 application materials stated:

"The railway line either side of the proposed railway bridge will be regraded to tie in to the revised bridge levels. The extents of the railway regrading works will be approximately 250m to the north of the bridge and approximately 100m to the south of the bridge. It is proposed that all works to the railway line be undertaken within the railway property boundary."

Ah here, you can't be using fact and logic and common sense here! Where's all your hyperbolics and tangents and irrelevances? :)

You do touch on a point here, mind. A replacement railway bridge fitted and replaced immediately would surely suit those wanting a greenway. As it stands the line will get a new bridge if and when it's needed by CIE for railway purposes.

However the cycleway advocates appear to want the opposite, that being no railway bridge to be put into place here. And what of the users of a greenway? Well they can be told to either risk a road crossing of some sort or to lay their own bridge. The former will be a less safe option even with traffic calming measure and will take away from the safe car free climate that a greenway is supposed to offer up. The latter will again mean a costly bridge only without the tab being picked up by CIE or TII.

You'd almost swear that they want an impediment on the old trackbed; the $64,000 question is what and why would they want such an impediment on situ? :confused::confused::confused: As they used to say to Bunny Carr, stop the lights!

Ah lads, make up your minds lol

Its
    - silly to not ask for a bridge for a greenway
    and
    - a pointless waste of money to put a bridge for a greenway
    and
    - illegal :confused::confused: to build a bridge for anything other than a railway
    and
    - critical that a bridge be built for the greenway

Ok, got it

Its all moot anyway. The greenway feasibility study will make a series of recommendations, none of which will mention a railway bridge option, the council will draw up plans one way or another and the govt will either fund it or not.

My guess is it will recommend a walking/cycling bridge, the council will get it designed and the govt will pay for it to be built for 10-15% of what a railway bridge would cost.

At no point will any bridge capable of taking trains be funded unless there is an immediate likelihood of trains running over it.

Lower cost options need to be fully considered:

1. Rope Bridge.
    2. Evel Knievel Ramps.
    3. However E.T. got those kids' bikes to fly.

All add to the tourism amenity.

Lower cost options need to be fully considered:

1. Rope Bridge.
    2. Evel Knievel Ramps.
    3. However E.T. got those kids' bikes to fly.

All add to the tourism amenity.

And all equally suitable to carry the number of trains which will be passing there over the next 20 years, perfect.

So much for the railway dream. Particularly the JASPERS report, it completely rubbishes both the passenger and freight arguments, and says that it would be 'challenging' to make a case for EU funding on the route.
    But that won't stop the debate, I reckon. The favoured position for most politicians is for nothing to happen on the route, and nothing is what people are going to get. Except for Sligo obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

As expected, there is zero business case for investing in a new rail line along the WRC, the figures don't just don't add up. An extremely high CAPEX in comparison to expected returns on investment, ongoing subsidy and maintenance costs and lack of significant future population growth in the West means it's a dead duck. Interesting that 73% of public submissions were in favour of a rail line and only 10% for a greenway, WOT must have gotten the troops out.

Since the report was prepared, the landscape has changed even more due to Covid - there will be long term implications for financing (the country will be essentially broke for the next 10+ years) as well the impact of Brexit and possibly a change in travel patterns due to WFH, online learning, virtual medical appointments, etc.

I won't be holding my breath for a greenway - all this confirms is that the railway will never happen, therefore the entire WRC from Athenry to Charlestown will probably just disappear into the undergrowth over the coming years.

MayoForSam wrote: »
    As expected, there is zero business case for investing in a new rail line along the WRC, the figures don't just don't add up. An extremely high CAPEX in comparison to expected returns on investment, ongoing subsidy and maintenance costs and lack of significant future population growth in the West means it's a dead duck. Interesting that 73% of public submissions were in favour of a rail line and only 10% for a greenway, WOT must have gotten the troops out.

Since the report was prepared, the landscape has changed even more due to Covid - there will be long term implications for financing (the country will be essentially broke for the next 10+ years) as well the impact of Brexit and possibly a change in travel patterns due to WFH, online learning, virtual medical appointments, etc.

I won't be holding my breath for a greenway - all this confirms is that the railway will never happen, therefore the entire WRC from Athenry to Charlestown will probably just disappear into the undergrowth over the coming years.
    It shows a Benefit to Cost Ratio (BCR) of 0.21, which implies that for every €1 invested, society would only gain €0.21. Bad odds, I'd say, unless you're taking a bet on the undergrowth option.
    And 'project financing of the proposal in its current form would be a challenge.' That's from the Jaspers report. Now seeing as they're the ones with the possible funds, what are the odds?
    And on the freight debate: '
    'As such, the proposed project is unlikely to lead to any significant changes in strategic connectivity.'
    And 'The line will not generate a financial return and will have an overall negative impact on the exchequer finances throughout its lifetime.'

Still, these two reports have between them come up with one line of information that might settle arguments around one 'train of thought' if I can be excused the words. 'A link to Knock airport is not feasible due to its location on top of a hill.'
    Now, if they had only built the airport down in the valley. Still, maybe they could move it, or buy a big escalator?
    I agree though, it will disappear into the undergrowth, but a few people will be happy enough, particularly those who already have a foothold on this strip of state land.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Knock will be lucky to survive as a scheduled passenger airport if full inbound tourism isn't in place this summer and with a booking run-in. Which won't happen.

Every incremental road improvement brings its catchment closer to Shannon and Dublin time-wise - even those that make it quicker to get to Knock too + and makes the premium to fly from a small regional airport to save the dwindling drivetime less palatable.

I've spent the last few hours reading through these and I have to say, they slaughtered the case for the WRC to bits and I mean slaughtered it!

Looking at the JASPERS report, its a similar story but they also look at it from a EU context.

Regarding the chances of inclusion in TENB-T or funding from the EIB, they had this to say

First some background info
    10. TEN-T and Financing aspects

10.1 The Trans-European Transport Network (TEN-T) describes a Europe-wide network of rail, road, inland waterway and maritime shipping corridors, as well as significant ports, airports and railroad terminals. The ultimate objective is to close gaps, remove bottlenecks and technical barriers across Europe, as well as to strengthen social, economic and territorial cohesion in the EU. The TEN-T policy defines two main objectives:
    • Completion of the Core Network by 2030; and
    • Completion of the Comprehensive Network by 2050 .

10.2 The Connecting Europe Facility (CEF) for Transport is the funding instrument of the TEN-T policy, as defined mainly by the TEN-T Guidelines according with the Regulation (EU) 1315/2013. As such, CEF funding is directed towards investments in the Core and the Comprehensive Networks through regular calls for proposals. During the period 2014-2019, CEF Transport awarded €23.3 billion in grants to co-finance projects of common interest.

Now they're review of the WRC in the context of TEN-T where they say its is unlikely to ever get a penny as its not on the TEN-T network and even if there was a way to say that it is, it would be so far down the list of projects eligible for funding that the pot of money would be exhausted before they got that far down the list.
    10.3 Examining the TEN-T policy, it is evident that the Western Rail Corridor is not located on the Core or Comprehensive network. Nevertheless, the TEN-T guidelines are currently under revision, and there may be a case for including the Western Rail Corridor in the Comprehensive Network through a legislative process involving the European Commission, Parliament and Council. Such inclusion would require a robust argument for the strategic nature of the corridor and its contribution to TEN-T policy.

10.4 Even as part of the Comprehensive Network, the European added value of the current project would still need to be demonstrated, which would require an elaboration of its strategic role in providing connectivity to nodes of the Core Network. It is noted that the award of grants through CEF is subject to a competitive evaluation, and traditionally there is a significant oversubscription of available funding. As such, the probability of being selected in a competitive call cannot be considered as high in the absence of such a case.

As for EIB funding, their review would fall under the scope of the project assessment as would EY's report which would pretty much ensure that it wouldn't get a red cent from the EU
    10.5 In the context of lending from EU Financing Institutions (most notably EIB), the project selection process is subject to technical reviews of the project documentation, examining the financial and economic case, as well as general project need, scope, risks and impacts. It is likely that during such review that the issues noted throughout this note would be highlighted, and would influence the final decision. We consider that that gaining support for
    project financing of the proposal in its current form would be a challenge.

Both reports go on and on in a similar vein basically quashing every potential avenue that one could argue for.

I've read many reports such as these over the last 25 years and I've never seen a project take such a hammering.

Its over Dacor will they have the courage to accept or are we going to see a Trump like attitude.

Its all over now baby blue.

Says it all
    'the reports in full show that the weak case is reinforced under every area of scrutiny, including freight.'

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/01/08/rail-reports-end-western-rail-corridor-as-viable-option-claims-greenway-group/

The case for rail is actually even worse than the EY report suggests.
    If you look at the detail, they appear to have added in the population numbers for Athenry when calculating demand numbers.
    It's not just dead in the water, it's nowhere near the lake.

The case for rail is actually even worse than the EY report suggests.
    If you look at the detail, they appear to have added in the population numbers for Athenry when calculating demand numbers.
    It's not just dead in the water, it's nowhere near the lake.

Surprised they didn't lump in passengers from Oranmore like they do for WRC Phase 1.

• Advertisement

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    Surprised they didn't lump in passengers from Oranmore like they do for WRC Phase 1.
    That's what is effectively being teed up, to use the existing traffic between Athenry and Galway as part of a case for Claremorris-Athenry, but it clearly won't fool the likes of Jaspers.
    The date of the report is interesting, June 2020. We know for a fact that the report was originally delivered to Ross in late 2019, and that the detail was in possession of some rail lobbyists very soon thereafter. Leaks in other directions were just not happening, apart from a few strong hints as much as a year back that proved accurate in hindsight.
    So, what changed between October and June? Why was this report dated in June 2020? Was the report sent back to EY with an instruction to try and beef up the figures? That would certainly account for the attempt to soften the blow by adding in the population of Athenry to try to put some kind of good face on it.
    Either way, it still made no difference. The WRC was always a fantasy project with no basis in reality, and Jaspers and the EIB have blown it out of the water in no uncertain terms. I don't think I've ever seen what was after all a politically inspired report coming down so strongly on one side of a debate.
    Sean Canney has done the state some service in ensuring that this report was delivered. It puts this argument to bed for once and for all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

This report doesn't take account of the new post covid work situation where many people will no longer need to commute. Even less of a case for it now.

Says it all
    'the reports in full show that the weak case is reinforced under every area of scrutiny, including freight.'

https://www.con-telegraph.ie/2021/01/08/rail-reports-end-western-rail-corridor-as-viable-option-claims-greenway-group/

Let's face it folks we have debated this until we are blue in the face, the simple fact is, denial is no longer an option. the railway is not going to be re-opened can we all get on with our lives now.

This report doesn't take account of the new post covid work situation where many people will no longer need to commute. Even less of a case for it now.

If you consider the idea of mobile working hubs being situated in our rural towns commuting into say Kiltimagh, or Swinford by bike from surrounding rural areas means the bike commuting option is even stronger, and it serves to reinvent town centres

The EY report might appear not to factor in the Covid issue, but the reality is that it didn't foresee it, which is fair enough considering it was mostly written in 2019. But it also doesn't factor in the National Broadband plan, which also aims to reduce commuting. Covid has shown us that the nature of commuting has changed for ever, in truth.
    Two other incorrect assumptions were made in an attempt to justify the freight option, although they still couldn't come up with a case for a freight railway. They factored in growth in bulk fertilizer loads to Mayo, ignoring the fact that that is actually a shrinking market with the pending reduction or at best zero growth in the national herd. It also assumes export of logs from Mayo through Waterford and Dublin, when in fact Irish mills are actually importing logs to meet demand. Glennons in Longford has a ship permanently on charter bringing logs from Scotland because of a shortage of local product, and planting targets aren't even close to being met. Trees planted today will be harvested in thirty five years time, but not enough of them are being planted to create demand for log trains in thirty years.
    It's over, as others have said. We need to accept it and move on.

• Advertisement

The EY report might appear not to factor in the Covid issue, but the reality is that it didn't foresee it, which is fair enough considering it was mostly written in 2019. But it also doesn't factor in the National Broadband plan, which also aims to reduce commuting. Covid has shown us that the nature of commuting has changed for ever, in truth.
    Two other incorrect assumptions were made in an attempt to justify the freight option, although they still couldn't come up with a case for a freight railway. They factored in growth in bulk fertilizer loads to Mayo, ignoring the fact that that is actually a shrinking market with the pending reduction or at best zero growth in the national herd. It also assumes export of logs from Mayo through Waterford and Dublin, when in fact Irish mills are actually importing logs to meet demand. Glennons in Longford has a ship permanently on charter bringing logs from Scotland because of a shortage of local product, and planting targets aren't even close to being met. Trees planted today will be harvested in thirty five years time, but not enough of them are being planted to create demand for log trains in thirty years.
    It's over, as others have said. We need to accept it and move on.

trees are often planbted on mountains and not accesible by rail Onc on a truck they may as well go straight to destination. They roll past my house all day and night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

trees are often planbted on mountains and not accesible by rail Onc on a truck they may as well go straight to destination. They roll past my house all day and night.

If that's the case why are there timber trains running from the North West to Waterford - a lorry shortage?

no idea.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Del.Monte wrote: »
    If that's the case why are there timber trains running from the North West to Waterford - a lorry shortage?

How many and how often?

If they can go now, why invest hugely in an alternative?

What is the current routing?

There can't be much round log moving in that direction. Ireland is experiencing a severe shortage of logs, and we are paying the highest prices in Europe for them. As I said in an earlier post, Glennons in Longford are running a ship full time from Scotland to meet the shortfall in their own mill, a 3 day turnaround with 3,000 tonnes on each trip.

How many and how often?

Weekending the 9th of October 2020 there were 93* pulpwood trains in the previous 12 months on an MAT basis ex Ballina/Westport all bound for Waterford, that is less than 2 trains per week that are accommodated on the existing rail infrastructure, you don't go building a new rail freight line just to transfer this business.
    * source Irish Rail. Just email them and ask, that is what I did. Just for comparison the figs provided to me by Irish Rail showed that in the weekending 3rd Jan 2020 the MAT (effectively the annual fig for 2019) was 119 pulpwood freight trains so the numbers have dropped significantly since January 2020.

Your point is exactly right if they can go now why invest hugely in an alternative for less than two trains a week. Its not going to happen in particular with numbers decreasing.

Your point is exactly right if they can go now why invest hugely in an alternative for less than two trains a week.
    But they have the LUAS up in Dublin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

How many and how often?

Not wishing to get thread/site banned, but should you be posting or moderating in this forum if your knowledge of current Irish railway operations is so lacking? Incidentally, nobody is advocating that the Athenry/Claremorris line should be reopened solely for a couple of timber trains per week - least of all me.

Warning to all: Please do not post over the top comments or sarcastic / trolling etc. Thank you very much.

Not wishing to get thread/site banned, but should you be posting or moderating in this forum if your knowledge of current Irish railway operations is so lacking? Incidentally, nobody is advocating that the Athenry/Claremorris line should be reopened solely for a couple of timber trains per week - least of all me.

Banned. More than enough warnings and prefaces the backseat moding with a note about not wishing to get banned but going head on in questioning if people should be posting here, rather than simply saying something to the extent of the bit in bold, which is fine.

Normal posting:

Stronger antidote: Trees on trucks go by me on my local main road and a switched to rail at the train station.

How many and how often?

The best thing for freight from the west would be to invest in the existing infrastructure which is already operational and shared with passengers services - ie more or better passing loops, looking double tracking sections etc.

Such improvements would benefit passenger services and allow for the expansion of freight services.

If you consider the idea of mobile working hubs being situated in our rural towns commuting into say Kiltimagh, or Swinford by bike from surrounding rural areas means the bike commuting option is even stronger, and it serves to reinvent town centres

Do you know what weakens the case for bicycle commuting between towns and from rural to urban?

Suggesting rubbish infrastructure with poor surfaces and at needlessly grade crossings of 100km/h national roads when the route is already on embankments on both sides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement