Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feelings on the new JC?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/junior-cycle-changes-not-serving-pupils-1.3507391?mode=amp

Interesting when a man who wrote one of the best known textbooks for the new JC feels this way.
    Are we just going to sleep walk into the complete downgrading and dumbing down of our junior examinations?

Unfortunately I think we are. Having taught the new specification for the last two years I can see that knowledge isn’t really valued, pair work, group worked etc are, they take so long and I can’t see they benefit the majority of students. We are also going to lose a class period from Science in the next year or so. Dumbing down is exactly what is happening. I agree with Peter Lydon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭happywithlife

Yes I think we are sleepwalking into.a dumbed down system
    Plus the whole continuous coursework isn't working well in my school at least - strand 2 DEIS. While most students are fairly okay there is a cohert whose attendance is very erratic- making it next to impossible to prepare coursework. Teachers end up pulling them from classes when they are in to get the work done. Subjects with CBA's this year STILL had a terminal summer exam timetabled so no allowance of swapping one for the other in acknowledgement of time pressure for teacher/ exam overload for student
    We have a few with massive anxiety issue and one girl in particular hasn't found the CBA beneficial at all as it prolongs her anxiety over the term as opposed to a swift sharp week of it if you know what I mean. And we are not a school that is putting huge emphasis on CBA - it's very much wellbeing over academia
    I cleaned out an old press earlier this year and the exam material was of a much higher standard. I think there's going to be a huge knowledge deficit at 3rd level in a few years
    I can't get my head around the dept advocating stem subjects on one hand but on the other standing back and allowing science curriculum to be savaged and time allocation reduced !! How does that add up? Typical Irish speaking out of both sides of their mouth
    And I know I probably harp on about this but the added cost to teachers - especially those on lower pay- tell me where do get all this poster paper/glue/colours/coloured print/etc in post primary ? There is NO budget for this anywhere but yet it's expected

ETA the only major plus I see is - in my subject at least - an update to the syllabus/specification. Mine was fairly outdated in places

• Registered Users Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭doc_17

What school ever had 5 Science classes per week?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

My school has 5 periods per week for Science and options. All reduced for the new JC though up to 2nd Years now.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭mick kk

Irish oral worth 40% is being abolished.....mickey mouse cba in its place where students can all get "met expectations" as their result.
    Ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/junior-cycle-changes-not-serving-pupils-1.3507391?mode=amp

Interesting when a man who wrote one of the best known textbooks for the new JC feels this way.
    Are we just going to sleep walk into the complete downgrading and dumbing down of our junior examinations?
    Yes.
    We’ve come to a point where all we do is rattle our respective sabres and then bend over for the government. Everyone knows this is nonsense. Nothing will be done until it’s far, far too late.
    The union leaders are spineless and the members are not putting them under any pressure to change that.

Then again, that’s what modern Ireland is, apparently - just shut up and do as you’re told by Leo and his pals and don’t question anything.

I suspect I’d have already left teaching if I could figure a way out that wouldn’t result in a significant pay cut.

My school has 5 periods per week for Science and options. All reduced for the new JC though up to 2nd Years now.

What do you mean by “and options”?

• Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

doc_17 wrote: »
    What do you mean by “and options”?

The other optional subjects !
    We also had 5 periods in 3rd year until this year

The new science course is an absolute joke

km79 wrote: »
    The other optional subjects !
    We also had 5 periods in 3rd year until this year

The new science course is an absolute joke

Now, I’m not trying to be a dick here but JC Science is JC Science. I’ve never heard of, and still don’t know what, option are? 5 classes per week for Science is 300 hours over the 3 years for a 200 hour syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,434 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I'm a dad and we were at a presentation by the school laying out what the new JC would be like. I'd be the first to be generally critical of the dumbing down and bet the average 70's or 80's maths and physics papers would be a shock if they came up today. That being said, they sold it well and my son who is going into second year with enjoy the presentation side of things. I wouldn't want to see this system rolled into the LC though because it would affect real learning and water stuff down.
    What is the expectation in terms of gaps? will it mean the jump to the LC will be a little wider? will it in any way affect the LC in terms of content or less difficult exams?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,247 ✭✭✭✭km79

doc_17 wrote: »
    Now, I’m not trying to be a dick here but JC Science is JC Science. I’ve never heard of, and still don’t know what, option are? 5 classes per week for Science is 300 hours over the 3 years for a 200 hour syllabus.

Options are the optional subjetcs they choose to pursue outside of the core subjects after first year
    We didn't have 5 periods for all 3 years. Just in 3rd year

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Options are the subjects that students get to choose, those that are non mandatory (English, Irish, Maths etc). That's the way they have been referred to in any school I have ever been in anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

Irish Ed system heading towards very basic education for the masses. So anyone wanting to know enough to bridge gap to courses of any substance will end up funding it totally themselves... What about the others?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭loveroflight

silverharp. Huge gap opening up between junior cert and leaving cert higher content. This is already having a dumbing down effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I meant Science has always had 5 class periods and so have option subjects (Woodwork, Art, Home Ec etc). Science was a 270 hour course, not 200 hours. It's reduced to 200 hours now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

silverharp wrote: »
    I'm a dad and we were at a presentation by the school laying out what the new JC would be like. I'd be the first to be generally critical of the dumbing down and bet the average 70's or 80's maths and physics papers would be a shock if they came up today. That being said, they sold it well and my son who is going into second year with enjoy the presentation side of things. I wouldn't want to see this system rolled into the LC though because it would affect real learning and water stuff down.
    What is the expectation in terms of gaps? will it mean the jump to the LC will be a little wider? will it in any way affect the LC in terms of content or less difficult exams?

Keep in mind it's just being rolled out with a few subjects at the moment (your son might escape!).
    E.g. With English this year there was a little bit of leeway in allowing some extra student/teacher time to complete... when all subjects are in it'll be mayhem, but maybe settle down after a few years.
    I can see the minister suggesting schools open during half term holidays if they're under pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

It's a joke, we all know it's a joke. We've voiced our concerns, they haven't been listened to and now we move on. In a few years, we will all see what a farce this is and will revert to more academic-based approaches.

That is after the LC has been tinkered with, followed by universities and employers complaining about our graduates and then the big turnaround.

And we will all say "We told you so but you didn't want to listen". Too many vested interested and too much money to be saved in the immediate future from the education budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PureClareGold

I actually find the reform quite good. I'm seeing my students engage in areas that they never did before. I'm seeing students being able to show off their talents and have them recognised which the old system never supported. I'm being challenged in my thinking and that is no bad thing. I am working even more closely with my colleagues. Have been through 3 SLARs at this stage and each have been really good. U have learned loads that has helped me in my classroom. I know that's not a popular point of view but it's my experience of it. No more rote learning to beat the exam system. Students are thinking for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭Moody_mona

In terms of "no more rote learning to beat the exam system", my exam has gone from a 65% terminal exam to a 90%, do you not think that goes against your comment?

Moody_mona wrote: »
    In terms of "no more rote learning to beat the exam system", my exam has gone from a 65% terminal exam to a 90%, do you not think that goes against your comment?

No it doesn't the exam in my subject is a different style of exam. The old one championed for rote learning this one asks students to think for themselves which is something I value

• Advertisement

Unfortunately I don't know what my exam style is. Maybe when I see sample papers I'll change my mind.

Unfortunately I don't know what my exam style is. Maybe when I see sample papers I'll change my mind.

And I think that is part of the problem. When we haven't seen the full roll out it's not very fair to be making assumptions. I hate the phrase being thrown out 'dumbing down'. What does dumb mean? It was something thrown at plenty in school years ago when there wasn't as much understanding about why students couldn't grasp certain things. You're dumb was heard in many classrooms as a means of showing superiority I also find it a bit rich that the author of the letter in the Irish Times is still willing to gain financially by writing a text book. Surely if he felt that strongly his principles would keep him away from anything JCT related.

And I think that is part of the problem. When we haven't seen the full roll out it's not very fair to be making assumptions.

I agree. Way too early to be singing its praises.

I agree. Way too early to be singing its praises.

Fair point but still I'm happy. Have noticed my 5th years are way better at constructing extended writing pieces than before because of their portfolio work in JC. Have a bit to do with the length of their answers but they know the structure better than other year groups

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

I am very much a critic of the new system (and I suspect Moody_Mona and so share a subject) but I will concede that there are some advantages to the new system, currently. I’m concerned though that the positives will diminish more and more with each new subject included. The English got the most benefit because it was new and different from the students’ other subjects and now, the teachers have more experience with the course so they’re better able to handle the extra demands (I would think). Science and business have got away with it this year too, being the next two subjects in but even then, my students were struggling with getting three CBAs done in a reasonable timeframe (those who were doing all three subjects). With Irish in next year, most students will have three CBAs, some four and this will keep increasing until they’re doing what, seven or eight?

Add to that that they still have a terminal exam and, in the case of science, it’s actually a higher percentage of the mark now than for the previous course. I can see the advantages of the new system diminishing rapidly from here on out.

km79 wrote: »
    Options are the optional subjetcs they choose to pursue outside of the core subjects after first year
    We didn't have 5 periods for all 3 years. Just in 3rd year

Thank you. When someone said they had 5 classes for Science and options I thought they whey were talking about that as one subject. With Wellbeing taking 400 hours it’s only Irish, English and Maths that might get 5 classes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

And I think that is part of the problem. When we haven't seen the full roll out it's not very fair to be making assumptions. I hate the phrase being thrown out 'dumbing down'. What does dumb mean? It was something thrown at plenty in school years ago when there wasn't as much understanding about why students couldn't grasp certain things. You're dumb was heard in many classrooms as a means of showing superiority I also find it a bit rich that the author of the letter in the Irish Times is still willing to gain financially by writing a text book. Surely if he felt that strongly his principles would keep him away from anything JCT related.

I would take a guess that there are a few authors that might be finding it difficult to be too prescriptive considering the pathways to the learning outcomes are so varied and open ended.

Usual... Just wait till the sample papers are out :)

I would take a guess that there are a few authors that might be finding it difficult to be too prescriptive considering the pathways to the learning outcomes are so varied and open ended.

Usual... Just wait till the sample papers are out :)

Can't agree with that. I get where the sentiment is coming from. The old system was so driven by exam papers. The format of our paper with change every year so I can't look at the papers for guidance. I guess I'm just going to have to trust my own judgement as a professional, trust my students and their capabilities and ensure that they have learned what is in the learning outcomes then they will be ready to tackle whatever they are asked on.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Chilli Con Kearney

I have to say that I really wonder about this idea of self-directed or independent learning, where we ask 14 year old to grasp responsibility for their learning and project work.

I believe it goes against all in modern society, where young children are less autonomous and have less freedom than previous generations. These children have their lives micro managed and organised for them - told when to get up, brought to school, told when to go training, when to do homework, when they are allowed outside, told what to eat, what to wear. They have so little genuine freedom yet we are expected to get them to learn independently? I have serious reservations about our ability to deliver on this principle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Disaster for marginalised children, such as those in special primary schools (not children with special needs) or detention centres.
    It's almost as if nobody even considered them in the rush to save money.
    Oh wait....

Advertisement