Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What flower colour do you have in your garden right now?

Options
  • 26-05-2018 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

My fabulous spring bulbs are gone, camellias and magnolias are finishing their display and the garden looks colourless while we wait for peonies, roses, lilies and crocosmias. What do you have planted for colour right now?

Any recommendations for new planting to fill the gap? I like bold flowers or shrubs that will come back year after year, I'm not good with frilly fluff or annuals...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Well I have two 'weeds' that are making a great display at the moment. The first is the forget-me-nots, I try every year to eradicate them but then they arrive back in their droves every May and I'm glad for the bit of colour. The second one is the poached egg plant. Exactly the same story, dig it out every year and back it comes in full glory with a welcome bit of colour.

I actually think you need to pull out large quantities of them to control their spread. Don't plant them if you don't want them popping up everywhere, especially the forget-me-nots.

Another thing that's doing well at the moment is Bleeding Heart (Dicentra) both pink and white in full flower. Need to plant a good few plants together to get a good display.

The Brachyscome daisy is another great performer and keeps going all summer.

Check out the beautiful Poppy that Jellybear posted in the photos thread. The Oriental poppies are starting into flower now also.

And finally, the Rock Rose is just starting.

I find all the above great little fillers for in between the shrubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

strandroad wrote: »
    My fabulous spring bulbs are gone, camellias and magnolias are finishing their display and the garden looks colourless while we wait for peonies, roses, lilies and crocosmias. What do you have planted for colour right now?

Any recommendations for new planting to fill the gap? I like bold flowers or shrubs that will come back year after year, I'm not good with frilly fluff or annuals...

I have put some video clips of things flowering in the garden at the moment on the linked list. My favourites would be the Ajuga, comfrey and red valerian, which all survive overwinter and come back again. The red valerian also sets its own seed so I should have many more plants this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

This is what I have going on right now in the barely managed chaos of my garden.

Nothing particularly spectacular but it all adds a bit of interest.

https://imgur.com/a/VWSWYU5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Great suggestions all around, thank you! Off to research and compare...
    You reminded me about red valerian and aubretia too, I thought about them in the past and I need to revisit this thought now.
    Lumen, are these mini aliums in your container? Look much friendlier than their giant verson.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

strandroad wrote: »
    Lumen, are these mini aliums in your container? Look much friendlier than their giant verson.

These things? Chives. That's my herb-bbq. They grow faster than I can eat them. :D

CA9jtzh.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Daisy 55

Purple!
    Allium giganteum, lilac and usually irises, but they're a bit late this year. It's the one time of year that looks coordinated!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,958 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Acquilegia. They are fabulous.

I have several around the patio. Happy flowers!

And then the dahlias follow them, I know they are considered boring, but they are also lovely. I Never take them up in the Winter either. Be interesting to see if they survived all the snow. But I have a plan!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,437 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A big bowl of mimulus in all different colours, reds yellows etc; aubretia purple, dicentra pink and white, bachelors buttons (double daisies) pink and white, a creamy white clematis, plus a montana, pink, snapdragons just coming and apple blossom just going, annual fuchsia, pink and purple, some brilliant red verbena and the fresh new leaves of a couple of japanese maples which is cheating a bit, but they are quite striking. Oh and a couple of baskets of yellow bidens...and some alyssum...and another pot of annuals that I can't remember the name of.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sort of pink purple. It’s from a packet of seed that I sowed on a wild bank last autumn.

Some of the ruga rosa both white and pink are just starting to show.

Apple tree blossom is just turning after a good showing.

Similar cherry blossoms are about 75% gone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement