Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Growing raspberries to max sweetness - last years bland

Options
  • 26-05-2018 3:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭

I grow lots of different varieties but found them
    Very bland

Aside from adding sugar to them just before eating them, any growing tips on enhancing flavour? Is it possible to get the plant to product more flavoursome raspberries ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭milout

I've been reading a James Wong growing for flavor book and he recommends spraying the plants with an aspirin mix. Half a tablet to a litre I think. Can't say yet how well it will work, but I'm trying it on my chilli's and strawberries.
    worded wrote: »
    Very bland

Aside from adding sugar to them, any growing tips on enhancing flavour? Is it possible to get the plant to product more flavoursome raspberries ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

worded wrote: »
    Very bland

Aside from adding sugar to them, any growing tips on enhancing flavour? Is it possible to get the plant to product more flavoursome raspberries ?

Got some raspberry plants that are the same variety that have spread to grow inside a polytunnel after being planted outside. The raspberries from the plants growing inside have had a much better flavour than the ones outside. Not sure if it's the dryer conditions or the higher temperatures, but also get fruit much earlier inside the polytunnel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,578 ✭✭✭worded

I have the answer - I hope

Prune chest height, feed at first blossom and water a lot

Re this

http://www.therealfarmhouse.com/the-3-biggest-factors-in-how-big-and-juicy-your-raspberries-get/

Advertisement