Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this Japanese Knotweed?

Options
  • 26-05-2018 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Found a few of these shoots in the garden borders. Anyone able to identify them? Pulled a few up this time last year and these have re appeared. Should I be worried ?

Comments

I think it is bindweed. It is invasive, and hard to get rid of, but won’t undermine your foundations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Thanks. Coming from a neighbors garden as far as I can tell. I can live with pulling up the shoots once a year once it’s not the dreaded knotweed

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭grazer

Found a few of these shoots in the garden borders. Anyone able to identify them? Pulled a few up this time last year and these have re appeared. Should I be worried ?

Yes, also think it’s bindweed. Produces lovely cream flowers. Also has a huge tangle of roots under the ground and spreads and spreads. Very difficult to get rid of and strangles any plants it’s allowed to spread near.

We’re facing the prospect of telling a neighbour that they have Japanese knotweed growing on their boundary with our property. Not looking forward to that conversation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Well, I'm pretty sure it is but what do you think? In Sligo. Are we supposed to report it to someone?

20180821_191740.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,436 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Yes, looks like it. Its difficult to see the zig zag stem but it looks like it. Report it to your local county council http://www.sligococo.ie/Services/RoadsandParking/Roads/InvasiveAlienPlantSpecies/
    though they do seem to be fobbing it off to the biodiversity centre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

looksee wrote: »
    Yes, looks like it. Its difficult to see the zig zag stem but it looks like it. Report it to your local county council http://www.sligococo.ie/Services/RoadsandParking/Roads/InvasiveAlienPlantSpecies/
    though they do seem to be fobbing it off to the biodiversity centre.

National policy by all accounts to 'fob' it off to Biodiversity unit. I think its to do with mapping/monitoring of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭mr_cochise

Well, I'm pretty sure it is but what do you think? In Sligo. Are we supposed to report it to someone?

Yeah, looks like it alright.
    This is the best time of year to get it sprayed.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    National policy by all accounts to 'fob' it off to Biodiversity unit. I think its to do with mapping/monitoring of same.

Certainly advise the Biodiversity unit, but each county council should take responsibility for dealing with reports - and many do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭standardg60

20180821_191740.jpg

It looks like its already been treated,probably last year, i'd say they'll be back to give it another blast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

I think you're right, it's just that there were no signs put up. I'll report it anyway. Thanks all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Soulsun

Is this the weed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,515 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

no - the leaves are much more arrowhead shaped than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

Soulsun wrote: »
    Is this the weed?

No.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Soulsun wrote: »
    Is this the weed?

That to me looks a lot like the leaf of a tree called Japanese Mispel/Japanese Medlar/Loquat/Japanese Plum/Chinese Plum/Japanische Wollmispel (in German)/Eryobotrya Japonica or Mespilus Japonica or Photinia japonica or Crataegus bibas (in Latin) - lots of names, I know!

If it is, and you get it to fruit, consider yourself very lucky 'cause the fruits are very juicy and absolutely delicious, but be ready to have to deal with quite a tall tree (it would easily get to the third floor of a building - it takes a good few years for it to bolt, but when it does there's no stopping it!)

Mediterrane-Pflanzen-Wollmispel-Eriobotrya-japonica-600-x-450-600x410.jpg

57397d1252575832-japanische-wollmispel-wollmispel-per-10.09.09-003.jpg?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTMAgkTJWLLOlc5homq6xP8-slTuY8wX_4ref_NPqoOtXLvf5MV

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭azzeretti

Stumbled across this today in the garden. Does anyone recognise this as knotweed? It has only come up in the last few days. You can't see from the photo but the stems are pretty thick.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I might be completely off the mark, here, but those to me look like potatoes.

Agreed, whatever it is it is not knotweed.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭TTTT

New Home wrote: »
    I might be completely off the mark, here, but those to me look like potatoes.

That was my first thought too.

Advertisement