Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting shared ownership

Options
  • 26-05-2018 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭

Anybody else here do it?

Are you paying tax?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

ted1 wrote: »
    Anybody else here do it?

Are you paying tax?

Several local authorities allow this. Formerly it is expressly forbidden- however, this preclusion has officially been dropped (by some local authorities).

Any rent from a Shared Ownership unit- is the same as any rent from any residential letting- and is wholly taxable (less allowable deductions), at a persons marginal rate of tax. Even if no tax is due- a person is legally required to complete an annual tax return and declare it- and any tenancy must be registered with the RTB- and the Residential Tenancies Act fully complied with.

Edit: If you let a shared ownership unit- you are ineligible for HAP/RAS or any other accommodation subsidy elsewhere- and the gross rental income is considered as means when considering *any* means based social welfare entitlements.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I’m fully aware of the rules as I’ve been renting one out for years. And the council know it.
    I’ve moved to full ownership now.
    But I thought I’d see if many other people are doing it.

Because I’ve not had to pay tax since I had it. In fact Revenue reluctantly changed a 40,000 bill into a 500 cheque.

I discovered that the rent you pay to the council is a deductible expense. Much to the dismay of the revenue auditor and her manager.

So if you pay 1,000 a month to the council and they own 50% straight away you have a legitimate 500 deduction from your tax bill. Then you can also deduct the usual north interest , depreciation fittings etc

Advertisement