Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I wonder if it's a financial situation, where rather than splash 50m on a Roght back, he's spent 20m on a kid who he can shape, and keep the 30m for elsewhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Absolutely, but Jose seems to adore him

How has he managed to survive..
    Moyes
    Giggs
    LvG
    and Jose....
    He must have some very compromising pictures on them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,640 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I wonder if it's a financial situation, where rather than splash 50m on a Roght back, he's spent 20m on a kid who he can shape, and keep the 30m for elsewhere?

30m into the Bale/Savic fund

brinty wrote: »
    Moyes
    Giggs
    LvG
    and Jose....

Don’t forget Fergie loves him as well

adox wrote: »
    The thoughts is another season of Valencia is nauseating.
    brinty wrote: »
    Moyes
    Giggs
    LvG
    and Jose....

While his 100% might not be impressive, I do think he gives it when he can. Perhaps Jose and the others just like his attitude?
    astradave wrote: »
    30m into the Bale/Savic fund

That's another point too. If we get Bale in, maybe Jose feels we can stick with Valencia for one more season until the new kid is ready? The right flank would still improve massively if we brought in Bale but left Val there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

While his 100% might not be impressive, I do think he gives it when he can. Perhaps Jose and the others just like his attitude?

That's another point too. If we get Bale in, maybe Jose feels we can stick with Valencia for one more season until the new kid is ready? The right flank would still improve massively if we brought in Bale but left Val there.

I'm hoping there cutting back on there target at RB only because of the Bale deal and not because lack money or deals falling threw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I'm hoping there cutting back on there target at RB only because of the Bale deal and not because lack money or deals falling threw.

Or maybe Jose is going to bring in some young lads and really get the competition for places going. Maybe he goes after his two players for every position policy. and we're still going after a Sidibe or Vrsalkjo as well as Drogo.....

And maybe on the left he'll get Sando and Tierney or Sessengon???

From Reddit

Well , hello there United buddies. Porto fan here, if this ends up being true, you got a BIG steal here. This kid will be hands down one of the best at his position in a couple of years. Considered one of the most promising talents in Portugal and possibly the world. Goal.com regarded him as one of the top 11 most promising youngsters this year. He can play both sides, hes super talented, super hard working and we here at Porto had VERY HIGH hopes he would replace Ricardo Pereira because long term, he is going to be much much better. So sad to see him possibly go so fast. Small edit: O Jogo clearly has inside sources for years now, they're easily the most accurate site regarding Porto transfers, this will probably end up being true.

Another thing is we have TFM coming back after a decent loan, as much as I think he is a better CB, he can cover RB too so maybe he will fight Valencia for the position and get this lad used to the club and that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Sweet a right back

Can't possibly be any worse going forward than what we currently have.

Only place I ever heard of Dalot was on Fifa where he has very high potential. So yeah I haven't heard much about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Can't see him really featuring for the first team next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

I'd be half thinking thats the reason
    Jose willing to play Valencia for another year and ease in this young lad.
    This mightnt be an issue if a RW is bought ,someone who will actually perform out wide,with Valencia as steady but unspectacular RB behind him
    20m on this Kid.
    50m each on Sandro and Alderweireld .
    Fred for 70m ?
    And a massive signing at RW,Bale for 100m +?

That would be a huge outlay even without Bale signing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

70m on Fred? Is that the figure being bandied about? That sounds steep.

I like the idea of Jose trying to nurture a youngster rather than just splashing £100m on a pair of full backs.

S.M.B. wrote: »

I like the idea of Jose trying to nurture a youngster rather than just splashing £100m on a pair of full backs.

€50m I think, pretty sure he had a release clause about that price

Sorry ,I think you're right. Around 50m it's rumoured to be.

I said already that I'm about as excited at the thought of a shake-up of the coaching staff as I am about new players.

Someone on r/reddevils expanded on that thought. Even though I don't agree with it 100%, I thought it was a good read on our new coaches and the realistic positives they might bring to the club.

It's a lot of text so I'm not going to copy and paste it here, but it can be found at the following link for anyone who's interested...

(5 min read) Why Mourinho's staffing changes could be as important as summer transfers

(https://www.reddit.com/r/reddevils/comments/8mqz3p/5_min_read_why_mourinhos_staffing_changes_could/)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Vrsaljko had a rumoured price of around 30m. Stupid to buy a youngster for 20m when you could get Vrsaljko.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

titan18 wrote: »
    Vrsaljko had a rumoured price of around 30m. Stupid to buy a youngster for 20m when you could get Vrsaljko.

You don't know how good Dalot is. He could be the next Cafu for all most of us know. All I'll say is he must be up to something if Jose is willing to pay 20m for a 19 year old. A few more young and hungry players aren't a problem in a team racked with complacency. Alexander-Arnold looked good enough at that age this season. Made a few mistakes but you expect that with young players.

titan18 wrote: »

Unless thats a release clause, I doubt the price WE would be quoted would be 30m. Say at least 35-40m.

Anyway, here's one for a laugh.

The Express, quoting Don Balon, says Jose is confident in signing Mbappe.

Unless thats a release clause, I doubt the price WE would be quoted would be 30m. Say at least 35-40m.

Anyway, here's one for a laugh.

The Express, quoting Don Balon, says Jose is confident in signing Mbappe.

Don Balon are the biggest bull****ters in Spain, nay, the world!

They make the metro look reliable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Liam O wrote: »
    You don't know how good Dalot is. He could be the next Cafu for all most of us know. All I'll say is he must be up to something if Jose is willing to pay 20m for a 19 year old. A few more young and hungry players aren't a problem in a team racked with complacency. Alexander-Arnold looked good enough at that age this season. Made a few mistakes but you expect that with young players.

He could be the next Like Shaw as well.

Liam O wrote: »
    I agree with your first point but I thought Alexander-Arnold looked dodgy in plenty of his games.
    If United are to push on then a better calibre of FB is needed imo .After his initial breakthrough he tipped a fair bit not someone I'd be comfortable starting with at United.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    He could be the next Like Shaw as well.

The same Luke Shaw who made TOTY at 18 ?

yabadabado wrote: »
    The same Luke Shaw who made TOTY at 18 ?

Yep that's him, the same Luke Shaw who's been shunned by successive United managers, who can barely make a match day squad.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Yep that's him, the same Luke Shaw who's been shunned by successive United managers, who can barely make a match day squad.

Shaw has many issues but at the same age he was a player with huge potential. I'd say he will still have a very good career but it will be away from United.

Shaw has many issues but at the same age he was a player with huge potential. I'd say he will still have a very good career but it will be away from United.

All I'm saying is don't pin your hopes on a young guy for 20m when you can get a very very good guy for an extra 10m like Titan said.

Vrsaljko is a non runner ,has said he isn't leaving Atletico. Even if he did no way is it for €30m .

Simon Stone confirms we are closing in on Dalot. Also says the following...

Matteo Darmian is set to join Juventus, while Dutch international Daley Blind is unlikely to still be a United player by the start of the new season.

The Old Trafford side are still keen to sign Brazil midfielder Fred - who will play for his country against Croatia at Anfield on Sunday - and Tottenham's Belgium defender Toby Alderweireld before the World Cup starts.

The future of midfielder and fellow Belgian Marouane Fellaini remains uncertain but the chances are increasing that he will leave Old Trafford this summer.

Has there been any precedent of an entirely new back 4 gelling together within a single season?

I was glad Jose didn't go in and make wholesale changes during his first 3 transfer windows as incrementally adding players seems like a much more logical approach. It would be nice if we were a little closer to the finished article 2 seasons into his reign but I'm not sure if changing half of our first choice outfield players this summer is a recipe for instant success either.

• Advertisement

Has there been any precedent of an entirely new back 4 gelling together within a single season?

I was glad Jose didn't go in and make wholesale changes during his first 3 transfer windows as incrementally adding players seems like a much more logical approach. It would be nice if we were a little closer to the finished article 2 seasons into his reign but I'm not sure if changing half of our first choice outfield players this summer is a recipe for instant success either.

If the transfers work out the way people think then start of next season will most likely see a new LB and CB or a new LB,RB and CB.

Look at City this year they signed a keeper and 2 FB in the summer and a CB in January .If 2 or 3 new players for the backline are signed and all are better than we currently have I dont see a problem.

I'm looking forward to the reactions when Jose signs Dalot to free-up Tony V for that RW spot :D

If the transfers work out the way people think then start of next season will most likely see a new LB and CB or a new LB,RB and CB.

Look at City this year they signed a keeper and 2 FB in the summer and a CB in January .If 2 or 3 new players for the backline are signed and all are better than we currently have I dont see a problem.
    A new LB, RB, CB & Bailly which a lot of people are hoping for sounds like a drastic change in personnel imo.

This is my concern with not just the back-line, but any new players we sign for the first team this Summer and I've said this already. Some people want both an overhaul in the team and a PL title for next season. I don't think we can have both in that short time frame.

The more players we sign this Summer, the more who might need that dreaded first season to adapt to the team/league. For a sizeable amount of the United fanbase, next season seems to be 'make or break' for Jose at the club. Does he really need that season to be one where he has 4-6 Mkhitaryans struggling to adapt to the team?

With that in mind, I would see a maximum of 4 new first team players as the most we could introduce for next season without committing to a full season of transition. To a season where we agree 'Don't care where the club finishes or how we do in Europe, blooding in these 6-8 new first-teamers is priority'.

It is unfortunate, cause I'd instantly use up those 4 spots on the backline who started the FA Cup final.

Valencia and Young will be good for the squad in the near future, but shouldn't be first choice in a team looking to win the PL soon. Especially since Young admitted today that he still sees himself as an attacker, and would far rather be in the attacking half than the defending one...

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1001332784978386946

Ashley Young on if he still pretends to his kids he is an attacker: "I don’t pretend. I still see myself as an attacker, especially the way we play - we play with the full-backs or wing-backs high. I’d rather be in the attacking half than defending."

Smalling and Jones - Club romanticism aside, 'What if Jones could put a run of games together?' aside, it's time for us not to be relying on either of them to be part of a consistently solid United back-line. I'd nearly rather them out altogether than to hang around for squad places, and for Jose to just take the chance with with one of Bailly, Rojo or Lindelof to partner the hopefully incoming Alderweireld.

I know the team needs someone for that RW position, that Jose hinted he'd like some 'presence' at CF for when Lukaku is not available, that the CM needs at least one replacement for Fellaini and Carrick, but I think the back-line is our most important area to address this Summer.

However, if Jose does choose to go the 'overhaul' route and sign 5+ first team players this Summer, then I'd take that as a sign that he is eyeing a longer stay at Old Trafford than many seem to be expecting. As it is now with his readjusting of the coaching staff, I think he is already showing signs of staying beyond next season. And therefore it maybe not being so 'make or break' for him at the club.

Ojogo, tier one for Porto news, saying the Dalot deal is finished :)

Edit. Pending a medical, of course.

12m for Darmian and 20m to buy Dalot could be an interesting net spend for the risk involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

With all due respect to being cautious with transfers, I’m sick to death of seeing Valencia Smalling and Jones being our 3 main defenders. I’m also sick of having no one to play RW. So I could care less about caution this Summer. Buy everyone!

RB, CB, LB
    RW, CM.

That’s what I want to see at a minimum. 2 x CM’s would be great but that’s greedy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,498 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I'm very torn between the fear of another inconsistent kid in the first team and the desire to see Valencia ****ed out of that right back position.

Worse case scenario is we buy a right back and Valencia stays first choice. If that happens then I give up, the team is playing with one of the brakes locked on, if the manager can't see that then he is a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

I kind of love the Dalot deal because we are getting a new RB but he isn’t expected to displace Valencia straight away so he can try get in throughout the season and ease Valencia out.

My only worry is that he plays him LB, which he can play. Another right footed LB. tut.

Marca are saying Madrid are looking at Eriksson as a replacement for Modric.. would love us to go for Modric if he’s available

https://twitter.com/marca/status/1001583987779887105?s=21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I dont know if we can really get 5/6 players sorted in this shortened window. We didn't last year as we could never stamp down a deal for Perisic. :(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Real need to freshen up like everyone else. Very hard to do that well though after winning European Cup three in a row!

• Advertisement

A new LB, RB, CB & Bailly which a lot of people are hoping for sounds like a drastic change in personnel imo.

But what's the alternative?
    If players aren't signed ,the season is over before it starts imo.

I think Valencia will start the season as first choice ,which I'd accept if a RW is bought and he's no longer expected to be the only out let on the right hand side.

That leaves a new LB and CB as the changes to the back line.So 2 changes to the back 5 with Dalot hopefully getting regular games to prove himself.

If the 2 signings are Sandro and Alderweireld then it can only be a good thing imo.Instant upgrades on last season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

GSPfan wrote: »
    With all due respect to being cautious with transfers, I’m sick to death of seeing Valencia Smalling and Jones being our 3 main defenders. I’m also sick of having no one to play RW. So I could care less about caution this Summer. Buy everyone!

RB, CB, LB
    RW, CM.

That’s what I want to see at a minimum. 2 x CM’s would be great but that’s greedy.

I agree with the above and would love for us to sign 2 CM but not sure it will happen. That and a striker. would love to see us sign 1 or 2 lesser known players like chicarito that time at reasonable prices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

From Spain via the S*n: United and Chelsea will go head to head to sign Jordi Alba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,586 ✭✭✭bassy

astradave wrote: »
    Marca are saying Madrid are looking at Eriksson as a replacement for Modric.. would love us to go for Modric if he’s available

https://twitter.com/marca/status/1001583987779887105?s=21
    What settle for a Madrid player that's come to the end aka that's why there replacing him.goodman

Here's a bit more about Dalot from a Porto fan on r/reddevils...
    As an avid FCP fan, if this transfer becomes official I'll be absolutely heartbroken. There's no mistake with this kid: he's gonna be one of the very best in 2-3 years.

When Ricardo was sold a week ago there was not a single doubt in my mind that Dalot would be the owner of the starting spot for the present AND the future. He's a homegrown talent, a widely known fan of the club (famous for being one of the match mascot in the 2012 Classico FCP vs SLB at Estadio do Dragão that won us the championship back then) and he had multiple times said he wanted to be part of this club's history before leaving.

I'm truly devastated by this. For real. Rumors say that his dad/manager denied contract negotiations all season long, promising to meat with the board at the end of it to improve his son's contract length, salary and release clause, but he suddenly changed his mind and told them he was no longer interested and that Dalot is gone.

It's just sad... Cheer up r/reddevils, you got yourselves a good one. He reminds me of a young Maicon, and we all know how that turned out when Mourinho got his hands on him at Inter. Excellent crosser, plays well on both sides, not mature enough yet for the big leagues I'm afraid, but he won't lose his composure easily and will held his own. Congratulations! (Try not to cry. Cries dalot...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Cotts72

Here's a bit more about Dalot from a Porto fan on r/reddevils...

<attempts to not get excited>

better not be another Varela :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

So far we've basically signed Fred and Sandro prior to this right back. No one actually signed though, so going to temper my excitement at speculation that is currently going nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

Have to say I would suspect that I am in the same position as 99% of Utd fans in saying club are alledged going spending 20 million on a lad I never heard of.
    Best case scenario he turns out to be a superb player who displaces Valencia in a couple of seasons....or occasionally this season.
    Worst case scenario he is just another of those promising Youth team players who never quite make it.
    Liverpool signed Fabinho for twice the 20m fee for Dalot....a player who is only 5 years older,has plenty of first team experience,is a Brazilian international and can play both rb and dm excellently.

I hope we have made the right choice.Dont want to be here this time next year looking for another replacement fior Valencia.

So far we've basically signed Fred and Sandro prior to this right back. No one actually signed though, so going to temper my excitement at speculation that is currently going nowhere.

Fred IS basically signed. Norwood would not have started following him on Instagram if that deal wasn't just pending the medical. Simon Stone talking positively about it too.

The fact Stone is saying we are hopeful of having Fred and Alderweild done by the World Cup has me plenty optimistic anyway. Not sure what's happening with Sandro or how far along that one is, if at all. But the sources saying Fred is nearly done are way, way more solid than the Sandro ones were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,481 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Fred IS basically signed. Norwood would not have started following him on Instagram if that deal wasn't just pending the medical. Simon Stone talking positively about it too.

The fact Stone is saying we are hopeful of having Fred and Alderweild done by the World Cup has me plenty optimistic anyway. Not sure what's happening with Sandro or how far along that one is, if at all. But the sources saying Fred is nearly done are way, way more solid than the Sandro ones were.
    I don't put the same store in who a freelance photographer follows as others do.

Until I see official talk of us signing them in taking everything as just speculation on various players we are likely interested in.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement