Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,236 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Pogba and Lukaku will do little to change this.

The dire style, if it even deserves that word, has permeated the whole squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,639 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Drumpot wrote: »
    Both probably under 16 years of age... Woodie likes em young

tenor.gif?itemid=5273057

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

astradave wrote: »
    Reckon we could see 2 transfers this week, push for a RW and Alderweirald

How about a new manager? Too soon?

Don't know who we could get but surely there is somebody out there who could give the players a boost and play some half decent football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

tenor.gif?itemid=5273057

503177164-e1453981969691.jpg?quality=80&strip=all&w=1200&h=630&crop=1&resize=1200%2C630&zoom=1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭duffman13

We look, once again, like we've no discernable style of play. Keep trying to convince myself not to worry, it's only preseason. It's not really working anymore :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,444 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

duffman13 wrote: »
    We look, once again, like we've no discernable style of play. Keep trying to convince myself not to worry, it's only preseason. It's not really working anymore :(

Preseason is exactly where you should be working on a style and getting everyone to buy into it. The style won't just happen on Friday with Leicester.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,001 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

We just look so leggy and slow and lethargic, lightening pace is lacking BIG TIME

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Long before the game I felt that along with the other needs, we were still another good ball playing midfielder short of a major trophy push. Based on tonight, we're one short of being able to look like a football team.

Well one thing I am taking from this:

Kovac has Bayern playing decent football :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

Even taking into account the players we are missing this has been truly brutal stuff from us.

I can see Leicester getting a result against us.

Well nice to see him giving all the kids a run out in the last Preseason game

Why is sanchez still on? Is it not better to take him off with a game on Friday!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Last they will be seen until next pre season

Tbf that's the strength of the squad, I know we've 3 or 4 missing but the kids were gonna get plenty of time tonight based on what's available

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Our technical ability on the ball is shocking for a top club, how many times has a player panicked and lashed the ball away tonight. Our forward players are as dangerous as a blunt knife too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭adox

Utd really are awful to watch.

The tactics are the most depressing thing.

adox wrote: »
    Utd really are awful to watch.

The tactics are the most depressing thing.

Here's the thing, is it actually tactics? Becaise if it is im struggling to see what we are even trying to do tactically

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Here's the thing, is it actually tactics? Becaise if it is im struggling to see what we are even trying to do tactically

Up to the goal, the game plan seemed to be to sit deep and try to hit them in the counter, going long for Rashford to run into space and burn the high line. But no one was able to launch passes correctly, and when they did, Rashford was nowhere near them.

Tell you my worry, you can kind of say it will improve a bit if Pogba comes back, hopefully. But if Barca do push for him.....

Sitting so deep? Seen it time and time again. Front players totally isolated as the team don’t get up the pitch quick enough.

Kinda reminds me of Ireland under the last couple of managers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

Not sure why jose is trying so hard to get another cb if he's planning to set up to keep 11 behind the ball. United played like a newly promoted team who were trying to keep the score down. Imo that's not down to the players

• Advertisement

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Up to the goal, the game plan seemed to be to sit deep and try to hit them in the counter, going long for Rashford to run into space and burn the high line. But no one was able to launch passes correctly, and when they did, Rashford was nowhere near them.

Tell you my worry, you can kind of say it will improve a bit if Pogba comes back, hopefully. But if Barca do push for him.....

It’s cowardly football imo. Fair enough if you want to play counter attacking football but it’s nit even that. It’s keep more or less everyone back and hope to hit a Hollywood ball to the pacey striker.

Anyway it’s only pre season yada yada but there’s a pattern there. We must be the worst of the “top” teams in the league to watch by a long way.

Pogba, Fred might be a decent partnership but we don't look cohesive at all despite having 3 weeks together on tour. That team tonight looked like they never played together. Sit back and burst forward is fine if you actually burst forward.

Even before the goal, every time we broke there was 30 years between Sanchez and Rashford and another 30 to others.

After match interview
    Jones: "We played well in patches"
    I'd like him to point out the patches :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭Ilovethe bonesofyou

I don't mind being pragmatic when it's needed but the tactics against Sevilla last season alarmed and worried me.

adox wrote: »
    It’s cowardly football imo. Fair enough if you want to play counter attacking football but it’s nit even that. It’s keep more or less everyone back and hope to hit a Hollywood ball to the pacey striker.

Anyway it’s only pre season yada yada but there’s a pattern there. We must be the worst of the “top” teams in the league to watch by a long way.

Not going to disagree bout the style. I'll accept it if the results follow, but if they don't, then yeah....

What I'd say is I hope you'll see some improvements when Pogba and Lukaku come back. I think, as well, there's a reason Jose seems desperate for the signings, and I wouldn't expect a change in quality if there's no a change in players as well :/

Here's the thing, is it actually tactics? Becaise if it is om struggling to see what we are even trying to do tactically

As you said a page ago, as I said 6 months ago, there is just no discernible style of play. It's hard to criticise the tactics because in many games it's hard to see what they actually are to criticise them.

This is 'only' pre-season, but in 5 days we have to do something very different to the last few games.

It's not something I think a new CB or RW is going to fix either. We need our full squad back, and by the time that happens it just might be too late in the title race. Yes too late, because if we drop 'silly' points to Leicester at home or Brighton away in those first 2 games, it's those kind of failures which will leave us with regrets long before next May.

Never mind a new CB or RW, there is a huge void up front when we don't have Lukaku. That's something which also should have been addressed this Summer too.

It's just been a shít pre-season for the football, and in the market there's been a serious failure to build on the progress of last season. The sky isn't falling, but I don't think the title is coming to Old Trafford this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

We would have got murdered trying to push up against Bayern, counter attack was the right tactic, we just don’t have the players to do it effectively, Liverpool would have scored a couple tonight on the counter attack.

We struggled to get the ball to the forward players and when we did they did nothing with it.

Mourinho on United signing Boateng, "My CEO knows what I want, I trust he's doing the best for me. I still have a few days to wait."

Falk, tier one for Bayern, also said we made contact officially today.

As much as I love Jose, if this continues into the start of the season And we have a bad start, I’ll be pushing for him to be moved on, it will be his third season and there can absolutely be no more excuses

Mourinho on United signing Boateng, "My CEO knows what I want, I trust he's doing the best for me. I still have a few days to wait."

Eh that was a general question before the match no?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

I despair for us if we sign Boateng. I think I'd rather Maguire.

• Advertisement

We would have got murdered trying to push up against Bayern, counter attack was the right tactic, we just don’t have the players to do it effectively, Liverpool would have scored a couple tonight on the counter attack.

We struggled to get the ball to the forward players and when we did they did nothing with it.

But sitting very deep and trying to play a long ball t your pacey centre forward isn’t really counter attacking football. Winning the ball back and then attacking with pace as a unit is counter attacking football.

We saw the same tactics for a large part of the game against a MLS team!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Ordinary man

It was a pre season game. Even if they got murdered they would learn from it. What could they learn from tonight? The best half of football last season was the second against city when they went for it without fear.

That was before the game and asked by a German interviewer in the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Last pre season game of the season the players should be allowed go out and have fun. If Joses plan for the season is to play like we've played in pre season then he won't see Christmas.

I tell you something else, Leicester will beat us Friday.

As much as I love Jose, if this continues into the start of the season And we have a bad start, I’ll be pushing for him to be moved on, it will be his third season and there can absolutely be no more excuses

There'll be an excuse. He wasn't backed in the window. We finished second, and we refused to back our manager. That's going to haunt us for ages.

Mind, once the season starts, that won't matter. If we aren't doing the business, we need somoeone who can challange with what we've got. I want that to be Jose, and don't know where we'd turn, especially since our main appeal was our willingness to fund deals for our manager.....

As you said a page ago, as I said 6 months ago, there is just no discernible style of play. It's hard to criticise the tactics because in many games it's hard to see what they actually are to criticise them.

This is 'only' pre-season, but in 5 days we have to do something very different to the last few games.

It's not something I think a new CB or RW is going to fix either. We need our full squad back, and by the time that happens it just might be too late in the title race. Yes too late, because if we drop 'silly' points to Leicester at home or Brighton away in those first 2 games, it's those kind of failures which will leave us with regrets long before next May.

Never mind a new CB or RW, there is a huge void up front when we don't have Lukaku. That's something which also should have been addressed this Summer too.

It's just been a shít pre-season for the football, and in the market there's been a serious failure to build on the progress of last season. The sky isn't falling, but I don't think the title is coming to Old Trafford this season.

Couldn't agree more. I dont usually read a lot into preseason but it's longer than that.

This is probably the least excited I've been going into a season ever. There is no buzz at the moment although I am looking forward to the Leicester game to see where we actually stand.

Two or three signings might appease fans for a while but the Jose and the club will be under massive pressure of results don't follow quickly. The expectation amongst the fans every year is a tilt at the league, 5 years since we've had a serious run at it. The fans would have a lot more tolerance if we at least played an exciting style if football

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,710 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ugh the summer just keeps getting worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Even if we had another manager, does anyone seriously think we'd get closer to City or go past them in the league? Players aren't good enough when you compare them to City's and now Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭JaMarcus

titan18 wrote: »
    Even if we had another manager, does anyone seriously think we'd get closer to City or go past them in the league? Players aren't good enough when you compare them to City's and now Liverpool.

I think our attack would get better and our defence would get worse.

• Advertisement

There'll be an excuse. He wasn't backed in the window. We finished second, and we refused to back our manager. That's going to haunt us for ages.

Mind, once the season starts, that won't matter. If we aren't doing the business, we need somoeone who can challange with what we've got. I want that to be Jose, and don't know where we'd turn, especially since our main appeal was our willingness to fund deals for our manager.....

I mean excuses for style of play more so. Jose's style has always been ultra quick transitions from back to front, but he doesn't seem to have implemented it effectively with United and he has been here 2 seasons, we have seen it in patches here and there but thats not good enough. There should be no excuses from him allowed if we fail to have a cohesive style of play through the season. If we start the season badly I would lump money on him being the first manager to be gone, irrespective of Ed's usual allowance of waiting until top4 is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Last pre season game of the season the players should be allowed go out and have fun. If Joses plan for the season is to play like we've played in pre season then he won't see Christmas.

I tell you something else, Leicester will beat us Friday.
    13/2 for a Leicester win seems like very good value right now.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    13/2 for a Leicester win seems like very good value right now.

Probably go for that myself.

Mind, Leicester are without Vardy and Maguire, and have lost Mahrez. They are weak enough right now.

Lordy beat me to it with an example, but I was going to say the excuses have already started, after many of us agreeing at the end of last season that there could be no excuses for Jose this season.

Yes Jose needed to be backed fully this window, but it's not an either/or situation where only one of he or Ed take the blame. There has been hundreds of millions already invested at Jose's request, he has been backed and then some. Ed failing to get in 2 more players this window does not absolve Jose of poor football and/or results on the field that we've seen so far or might see this coming season.

There are a pair of them in it - Jose needs to do better with the players he asked for and got so far - Ed needs to possibly go if he had another poor transfer window after the debacle that was his first transfer window with Moyes.

Ed Woodward possibly dropped the ball in this window, but he'll be a convenient distraction for a few who just don't want to admit that the manager is unfortunately failing on some level with his players.

No decisions yet, but if we do have a title challenge-ending start to the season, it's likely that that I'll want to see the back of both Jose and Ed by Christmas. Whatever about sponsorship deals and backing various managers, that would be 6 seasons of title failure which Ed had overseen at United.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Probably go for that myself.

Mind, Leicester are without Vardy and Maguire, and have lost Mahrez. They are weak enough right now.
    Maddison could do some damage in the absence of Mahrez.

We should be clear favourites but 13/2 doesn't seem right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Cant handle another season of mourinho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Will I Am Not

We’ll beat Leicester lads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Whos the saviour then? Sack Jose fine but who can make THIS lot work? A new manager will still be begging for a starting LB and RW. Unless people honestly think a new manager will turn Luke Shaw and Juan Mata into speedy penetrating options in each position.

We can't seem to finish deals anymore and that is public so who will take this? I guess a new manager might see it as a handy paycheck but this group of players, regardless of manager, will be in a fight for top 4 at best. The deficiencies in the starting XI are glaring.

Players wont decrease in asking price because we have a new manager. Probably be more expensive each year asking prices rise it seems.

Lordy beat me to it with an example, but I was going to say the excuses have already started, after many of us agreeing at the end of last season that there could be no excuses for Jose this season.

Yes Jose needed to be backed fully this window, but it's not an either/or situation where only one of he or Ed take the blame. There has been hundreds of millions already invested at Jose's request, he has been backed and then some. Ed failing to get in 2 more players this window does not absolve Jose of poor football and/or results on the field that we've seen so far or might see this coming season.

There are a pair of them in it - Jose needs to do better with the players he asked for and got so far - Ed needs to possibly go if he had another poor transfer window after the debacle that was his first transfer window with Moyes.

Ed Woodward possibly dropped the ball in this window, but he'll be a convenient distraction for a few who just don't want to admit that the manager is unfortunately failing on some level with his players.

No decisions yet, but if we do have a title challenge-ending start to the season, it's likely that that I'll want to see the back of both Jose and Ed by Christmas. Whatever about sponsorship deals and backing various managers, that would be 6 seasons of title failure which Ed had overseen at United.

It’s funny cause between people quoting the Seville game and our style of football you could easily forget that last seasons league finish was the best since SAF retired. It might feel bad but objectively speaking it’s not nearly as bad as
    Some are making out.

I agree with how difficult it is to watch that team. But I still think Jose is the best chance for success.

bangkok wrote: »
    Cant handle another season of mourinho

I genuinely believe if Jose has the team on board it could be a very good season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement