Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt3

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If they want him then the asking price should be Neymar money, up front. If they can't / won't pay it they can pfo.

Do you trust Us to get in any replacement in a separate deal within the next three days?

If we lose our main/only creative midfielder, we desperately need to demand a top level creative replacement in any deal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,333 ✭✭✭brinty

I wouldn't want a yoke like Suarez next nor near the club tbh, detestable human, not that he'd join us anyway.

Only kidding on Suarez but it'd be crazy to see the scousers reaction if both players joined...

Would it be the typical scouser burning of their jersies ala Stevie me to Chelsea ..b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Do you trust Us to get in any replacement in a separate deal within the next three days?

If we lose our main/only creative midfielder, we desperately need to demand a top level creative replacement in any deal.

Nope but if he is angling for a move then he can get stuffed. It could be a blessing in disguise imo, Jose is clearly incapable of making him (Pogs) work in whatever system we deploy so it's a case of square peg in round hole alot of the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,329 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

We simply can't sell Pogba. We have shown an inability to make key signings this summer, no faith Woodward could bring in a replacement for Pogba.

Losing Pogba at this stage would be laughable. It just shouldn't be considered. At all.

• Another three weeks of made up bile

Can't wait till the summer transfer spoofing ends

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

We simply can't sell Pogba. We have shown an inability to make key signings this summer, no faith Woodward could bring in a replacement for Pogba.

Losing Pogba at this stage would be laughable. It just shouldn't be considered. At all.
    Thats why it has to be part exchange deal. We need to be given the player. If left to Woodward we'd never manage to get a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The club won’t sell Pogba this window, that wouldn’t be allowed to happen.

I would have a serious issue with Pogba if he told Barca he wants a move however, it would be completely brainless on his part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭BenK

That Pogba rumour has to be made up- how could Barca make that offer with a straight face?

If it is true, it's not very encouraging on how United's competence with transfers is viewed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

As Mama says Football agents is the devil, if Barca want Pogba £200m up front plus bonus of £25m each for any trophies They win In The Next Three seasons plus a 50% cut of his jersey sales revenue for the next two seasons and they pay all agent fees, oh and a 25% cut of any sell on fee for him in the next seven seasons.

• Advertisement

• BenK wrote: »
    That Pogba rumour has to be made up- how could Barca make that offer with a straight face?

If it is true, it's not very encouraging on how United's competence with transfers is viewed!

Doesn't matter at this stage, when people continue to lap up any made up story then why not just keep doing it

This summer as a Utd fan has been some of the worst for bull**** I've seen

Bit of craic, generates clicks, bit of bantz, easy money

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

We better not sell Pogba, if we start to go down the route of selling our best players every summer it will be a sad sad day.

For the first time in many many years our midfield is perfect. Pogba, Matic, Fred, Herrera, Pereira and Fellaini.

Barca can F off, send them an offer of Smalling, some tapas and a troll face for Messi etc and see how they like it.

Doesn't matter at this stage, when people continue to lap up any made up story then why not just keep doing it

This summer as a Utd fan has been some of the worst for bull**** I've seen

Bit of craic, generates clicks, bit of bantz, easy money

I dunno, it seems to be the same crap every transfer window if you ask me! Just think this rumour sounds particularly braindead. There are even people trying to argue it's a fair deal in the general transfer thread, which is even crazier! They are fans of other clubs though so pinch of salt in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We could offer them Jones for free. Just cos it would be funny to see him lining out for Barca. As they're being daft, it'd be good craic.

50m + Coutinho and we talk, other than that bye-bye.

The tricky part of swap deals, is the player you want has to agree to it. Obviously there's zero chance of Coutinho getting on board that plan. Already in the city of his dreams, with a frankly ludicrous wage.

BenK wrote: »
    I dunno, it seems to be the same crap every transfer window if you ask me! Just think this rumour sounds particularly braindead. There are even people trying to argue it's a fair deal in the general transfer thread, which is even crazier! They are fans of other clubs though so pinch of salt in fairness.

Danny Murphy summed it up fairly well there on Sky, why would United take 2 players who can't even make the Barca team.

He also said we should make him captain

DiMarizio saying we have offered Mata to Inter

:S

• Advertisement

That one makes me think we are close to a deal for a new attacker btw. Only way it makes sense.

• BenK wrote: »
    Pinch of salty more like

And No, I count 3 Liverpool fans :P

It's fairly obvious, but tbf it's a bit of craic / bantz as I said

Sure it's all kicking off on twitter now, bull**** in overdrive

https://twitter.com/manunitedmedia/status/1026582397402402817?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

DiMarizio saying we have offered Mata to Inter

:S

Bale incoming :D

In general, I'd rank DiMarizio as one of the more trustworthy people, especially when it comes to Italian based news.

astradave wrote: »
    Bale incoming :D

More like Perisic if Mata is Inter bound.

• Advertisement

Pinch of salty more like

And No, I count 3 Liverpool fans :P

It's fairly obvious, but tbf it's a bit of craic / bantz as I said

https://twitter.com/manunitedmedia/status/1026582397402402817?s=19

I was trying to not be too discriminatory against our Liverpool supporting members but the surest way to know if it's a good deal or not is to ask a Liverpool fan!

Does the window shut Thursday night, yeah! Given Game One is Friday night?

More like Perisic if Mata is Inter bound.

Way to wreck my buzz man!

Though I like Perisic :D

Does the window shut Thursday night, yeah! Given Game One is Friday night?

5pm Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Won't even have Juan's hugs to comfort me through the season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Dembele and toby to united before window closes

• Registered Users Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Quandary

If that bizarre offer for Pogba is genuine then he's definitely agitating for a move away. What a disaster of a transfer window this has been. If this season goes badly you would imagine heads will have to roll.

Maybe we will get off to an encouraging start this season but after our poor preseason performances, poor transfer window(so far) and clearly very disgruntled manager I'm expecting the worst.

It's been a long time since I've felt this underwhelmed and worried before a season :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

I'm obviously a bit of a blow in here but I'm not going to do the whole "I come in peace" crap. As a football fan I find the whole Mourinho dynamic very interesting, regardless of what team he manages so here are my unvarnished thoughts on this topic regardless of whether they are viewed as biased or not.
    Drumpot wrote: »
    I would not disagree with a lot of that. However some players do not require the environment to be absolutely perfect for them to thrive. Some players need to be loved and made feel happy, others prioritize winning. Pogba seems to be in the former.

I do think Pogba has the type of character which needs to be stroked but much more importantly he needs the team he is playing in to be playing a style of football which will take full advantage of his talent and last year Utd didn't do that so whether rightly/wrongly, understandable or not he cannot motivate himself to burst a gut when he knows the forward runs he needs team mates to be making in order to express himself are simply not being made or the wide play which will find him arriving late in the box is not happening.
    Not just that it’s a question of character and drive if you require specific conditions for you to perform. It’s a mental strength deficiency that separates truly world class individuals from players who have great qualities but lack the courage to push on to achieve their peak.

That sounds good but I can't think of too many current world class players who are performing in teams that don't play to their individual strengths e.g. Barca absolutely play to Messi's strengths, Spurs play to Kane's strengths, Liverpool play to Salah's strengths and you can be 100% certain Juve are going to play to Ronaldo's strengths from day one this season!!! If a team has such a talented player the question, IMO, needs to be Why aren't they playing to the talents of their best player??
    I find it quite annoying that the modern footballer is afforded the benefit of the doubt and people are quite happy to explain away unprofessional behavior.

See last comment above.
    It’s amazing that Jose can lead every team he manages to leagues and champions league but people are all too happy to ignore that fact and presume he’s just a bad manager who can’t even setup an organized team.

Every team but united have won leagues with Jose!!!...

The same could be said for Stock Aitken Waterman for years until all of a sudden the formula they'd used so successfully for years to produce chart topping acts no longer worked and despite trying to they couldn't adapt their methods to continue that success.
    I still also find it funny that Pogba couldn’t find a way to work with SAF, one of the greatest managers of all time. He couldn’t wait and made demands a player in his position had no right to make.

That's one way to look at it. The other way to look at it is he went off to paly for Juventus and won 4 Scudetto's + 2 Italian Cups + an U20 World Cup with France and then Utd paid £89m to buy him back. Seems to me he like his impatience and the demands he made worked out pretty well for him!!
    Maybe Pogba isn’t a team player. Maybe unless he gets what he wants or sees an easy win (WC 7 games - Juventus league cakewalks) he’s just not that interested.
    Do you really think the WC is an easy win or that 4 years of back to back Scudetto's are "easy wins"?? I think you are trying to justify your own narrative which is somewhat understandable but it doesn't align very well with the actual facts.
    Joining Barca will help him cause he will only need beat Real Madrid to a title. I’m not convinced he’s a player you want if your team is struggling to find form over a season.
    Wouldn't disagree with you there, he's definitely no Lee Cattermole but then with the resources and history Utd have they should never be "struggling to find form over a season".
    This means he’s not the kind of player with the kind of drive or mental strengths that United need right now....

I think you've hit the nail on the head right there Drumpot. Why, after Jose has been in charge for 2 seasons and has made so many signings, do the club need players with mental drive and strength to dig in and play roles they which don't take full advantage of their talents??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Pogba has 4 years on his contract no bloody way would he be going to Barca on the cheap. If he wants to go then fine go I've no problems at all in that I don't want him at the club then but he won't be going anywhere for cheap.

“I want more money lining my pockets”

https://twitter.com/mailsport/status/1026582329094037504?s=21

But before we start lambasting Riaola, nail to the head here

https://twitter.com/adamcrafton_/status/1026586561767518208?s=21

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Ah jesus wtf are we at offering Mata?

pjohnson wrote: »
    Ah jesus wtf are we at offering Mata?

To inter yeah but they are moving for Keita Balde instead

• Here's the miserable lad who's leaving Utd earlier

https://twitter.com/ManUnitedZone_/status/1026457744864419840?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

I'm calling bollocks on that one, it's been a boring summer for the news outlets following the world cup. Pogba in his first day back at training is subject to a pathetic bid. Everyone ****ing bites! A load of ****e as per usual.

• duffman13 wrote: »
    I'm calling bollocks on that one, it's been a boring summer for the news outlets following the world cup. Pogba in his first day back at training is subject to a pathetic bid. Everyone ****ing bites! A load of ****e as per usual.

Sky will run with it regardless. Keep the bull**** going till close Thursday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭duffman13

Sky will run with it regardless. Keep the bull**** going till close Thursday

Sky would run **** running down the wall if they thought people would click the link or bet a 5er on when it hits the floor

Whys that ?

Guy said he wants Alderweireld over Boatang and Neville agreed? Not sure what's muppet mode about that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

@jesuisjean

Apologies, I’m awful at multiquote. Don’t completely disagree with you.

Pogba isn’t Messi or ronaldo , not even close to that level. I think part of the problem is that Pogba is the cream on a team. He’s not a player you sign when you are rebuilding. Joining a Juve ready for league success was perfect for him. He might of been involved in Juventus success but they haven’t done too bad without him. Seriously they own that league, it’s like suggesting winning a bundesliga title with Bayern is anyway impressive.

Pogba hasn’t always been asked to play a defensive role for united. In fact I believe the main time he was asked to play deeper was cause of an injury problem that had us end up playing McTominey in games we needed wins to keep pace with city. What’s annoying is that Pogba showed with France that he can do a top quality job in a deeper role if needed. So his professionalis and application was the problem. Jose “we need you to play deeper for the team”, Pogba “not interested boss”.

If I’m a French player looking at those players around me do I think there
    Are many better squads? And then I see spain , Portugal, Argentina and Germany going out early enough. I never said winning WC was easy, I was saying he was willing to make sacrifices for his country , perform a more conservative role, leave the haircut stuff aside and so what the team needed. Is it perhaps because it was only needed for a month? He could pull it together for one month but rather then give the same efforts for united (like say in a Seville match) he prefeeed to switch off and leave the team to sink!’ That is a question of character. You can say he wasn’t happy with the way the team were playing well he didn’t do Much to help did he?

Incidentally, this gets mentioned a fair bit about building a team around Pogba. Did France build their team around pogba ? Genuine question because I’m not sure he was their talisman or even their best midfielder (Kante) and I thought he played a deeper role then the attacking one people say he can only do but I’m open to correction.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Just saw that Sky One are showing the United game in Friday night. Handy for anyone that doesn't have the sports sub or goes to foreign shores to watch. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

Giggsy11 wrote: »

Klopp had Lovren, Klavan, Matip as his CB options, Moreno as LB and Karius and Mignolet as GKs at the start of last season and even for first 2-3 months. He also had players like Milner, Henderson, Wijnaldum, Can for midfield. Did that stop him playing attacking football?

But they came 4th.

We drew away and beat them at home.

Playing attractive football for the sake of it is pointless.

We've gone over this ground before. SAF filled midfifleds with players like park/fetcher. Put rooney on the wing. All against big teams. People didn't care. we won things.

It's not just about having good players, it's about attitude of the coach. Few coaches want their team to play on front foot which masks most of the weakness in the team, like SAF did with us. Jose wants us to play defensive game and rely on individuals to create and score.

We must be watching different matches. The amount of times we pounded down the doors last two years and came away with SFA or a draw had nothing to do with playing defensively. For the most post part they were going out to hammer the riff raff and change for bigger games.

Then when you take the big games our record last year against top 6 was pretty damn good. Only City's was better

To put in simple words, we don't play as a team. Questions should be asked about the manager who was in charge of the team for 2 years, our players look far worse than they are because of lack of system.

Edit: Btw I don't hate Jose. In fact I like him for taking over after Van Gaal and steadying the ship. Just that I don't agree with so many posts who always talk about signings and never once question why we haven't played like a team in 2 years.

How can a team come 2nd in the premiership
    2nd best defensive record last year.
    Win a number of trophies and not play like a team

I'm all for having a crack of jose.
    Whining about signings.
    Wonder why martial goes on like a 12yr child etc

But stop talking utter rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The Mirror claim United are looking at Jose Giminez from Atletico Madrid.

The Mirror claim United are looking at Jose Giminez from Atletico Madrid.

Said it here weeks ago, should go after a player like him instead of Maguire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

On this whole Pogba thing I feel like Melania Trump.....

I don’t really care, do you.

If they straight swapped Dembele with us id do the deal. Only cause i think we could use him and Pogba would rather be gone if true.

I’m delighted the transfer window closes early for English teams. If it didn’t then this **** would be happening 3 weeks into the season instead of now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

Really good defender Gimenez.....but he signed a new 5 year contract for Atletico only in June.

I can't see this happening unfortunately

• Advertisement

GSPfan wrote: »

I’m delighted the transfer window closes early for English teams. If it didn’t then this **** would be happening 3 weeks into the season instead of now.

That's what will happen though, Barca could spend the next 3 weeks tapping him up as they could still sign him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Again if Pogba is pushing to leave we should be getting rid of him at a time that suits us. If Barcelona or any club outside of England (tbh I don't think he'd want to stay in a league that highlights his shortcomings so regularly) make a decent offer for him(a bag of chips and two squad players doesn't cut it obviously) we should take their hands off, once we have a replacement lined up.
    Pogba has never had any respect for Manchester United during either spell at the club and Ferguson's assessment of the player would appear to have been correct at least in terms of Manchester United.
    I would have been happy to see him go at the beginning of June once an alternative had been sourced and terms agreed, this last minute attempt to leave the club just before the season starts is poor form from a man who knows a thing or two about poor form on the pitch.
    I'm sick of his stupid step overs and flicks, looking for clips for YouTube highlights videos, brand Pogba does nothing for me. The praise he received for his world cup performances baffles me, Deschamps obviously told him to cop on and stop pricking around and that's all, he was functional. We paid a crazy money for a player that wouldn't make it in to any of our title winning sides of the past and now we're straddled with a sulky child who can't be arsed to show the smallest amount of respect for the club. I hope he's benched and sold after Christmas because he isn't anything like Ronaldo (publicly wanted out but still banged in goals every week and performed like a professional) it would be hard to miss Pogba if he didn't get his game, we'd only be missing a gaping hole in our midfield.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    That's what will happen though, Barca could spend the next 3 weeks tapping him up as they could still sign him.

With 3 years left on his contract United don't have to sell and can(and IMO should) play hardball with the player.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Rossi IRL wrote: »

If any English team sold in that period then it is either because they really want to or they are going bankrupt. Otherwise there’s no chance. We won’t sell anyone after Thursday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,208 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

“I want more money lining my pockets”

https://twitter.com/mailsport/status/1026582329094037504?s=21

But before we start lambasting Riaola, nail to the head here

https://twitter.com/adamcrafton_/status/1026586561767518208?s=21

The first link, with the I want Pogba out of Manchester United headline appears to be a complete fabrication by the "journalist". I know, shocking.

On the second bit, even though the headline click bait was made up Raiola has always been right down the bottom of the totem pole for me when it comes to agents (super agents anyway) It is a shame we have dealt with him recently. Can't stand the guy.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement