Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2018 pt3

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

bangkok wrote: »
    Players want the now and at his age i cant see him waiting another year

Financially he'd probably be better off waiting as he'll be able to command a fairly hefty signing on fee (his market value then less £25m) and/or higher wages than if a club has to pay a £50m (or whatever) transfer fee for him now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,592 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Spurs have said today they have yet to receive any bids for Toby,
    I reckon he could see out the last year of his contract, He would then be able to ask for a much higher wage and singing on fee with a new club next year ,

There wouldn’t be any real bids in negotiations, bids wouldn’t really be submitted until the end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

Financially he'd probably be better off waiting as he'll be able to command a fairly hefty signing on fee (his market value then less £25m) and/or higher wages than if a club has to pay a £50m (or whatever) transfer fee for him now.

Much of a muchness id say.

He is on 50k a week now. If he joins utd he prob get 150k a week. 5m more a season. Dont think he would get as much wages next year as he be a year older and signing on fee would be low as well as he wouldnt be a free transfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

This transfer window has all the hallmarks of Woodward/Moyes 1st window where Fellaini was bought on the last day for over the odds..

Darmian is still at the club despite Jose saying he was for sale. Rojo still there after being linked with Everton. Didnt Woodward say to buy a defender they had to sell first?

Ninthlife wrote: »
    This transfer window has all the hallmarks of Woodward/Moyes 1st window where Fellaini was bought on the last day for over the odds..

Darmian is still at the club despite Jose saying he was for sale. Rojo still there after being linked with Everton. Didnt Woodward say to buy a defender they had to sell first?

The Summer we seemed to be shaping up for turned out to be very different from the Summer we've so had so far. 'Final few signings to fix those first team holes'...'A purge of the deadwood'...no sign of any such thing so far.

Never mind a list of target signings, I thought there would be a list of players who were surplus to requirements and who would be well gone by now.

Matteo Darmian, linked with a move away since this time last year. Going into last January, he along with Fellaini were the two players reported as possible departures in that window. Great that a new contract was finally worked out with Fellaini, but the fact that Darmian is still a United player on August 7th astounds me.

There were direct quotes last week from Italian suitors saying that they were hopeful of a deal with Darmian, so it wasn't just journo bullshít. It was looking like finally happening, and next thing Darmian is captain in pre-season game and since then no talk of an exit.

With both purchases and sales, it's hard to work out what the fúck is going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Everton seem to have moved their focus onto Mina so they dont seem to want Rojo anymore. TFM is still hanging around. Doubt there will be any departures at this stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭Zeek12

The Mina to Everton story has cooled their Rojo interest.

Not sure if Wolves can or will meet our valuation

I reckon whatever business we do will be very last minute....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

This is a perfect example of people taking gossip as gospel.

Woodward hasn't been quoted as saying anything along those lines and there has been no official bid for Rojo.

How? We have already signed fred and dalot

Couple of reports in Italy we are trying to sort out a loan move for SMS with an obligation to buy

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

astradave wrote: »
    Couple of reports in Italy we are trying to sort out a loan move for SMS with an obligation to buy

What message will that send?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Basically, cover so that when Pogba goes, we have his replacement locked in at a fee that makes sense this summer, rather than one affected by "Dat Pogba Money".

Falk saying Bayern want twice what we are offering for Boateng.

• beno619 wrote: »
    This is a perfect example of people taking gossip as gospel.

Woodward hasn't been quoted as saying anything along those lines and there has been no official bid for Rojo.

Exactly.

Same with Pogba bull****

Has Madrid or Utd stated a bid has been made?

Exactly.

Same with Pogba bull****

Has Madrid or Utd stated a bid has been made?

How many times ever is a bid announced?

• astradave wrote: »

Lol a lads

Who's SMS :P

Lol a lads

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic

• pjohnson wrote: »

Shakter president confirmed man city made a bid for Fred earlier in the summer as a prime example which is close to home

Lol a lads

Some of us are transfer muppets, just because we post links and news doesn’t mean we believe them.

So stfu Fred right :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

Shakter president confirmed man city made a bid for Fred earlier in the summer as a prime example which is close to home

They bid for him in winter

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Basically, cover so that when Pogba goes, we have his replacement locked in at a fee that makes sense this summer, rather than one affected by "Dat Pogba Money".

Falk saying Bayern want twice what we are offering for Boateng.

Saying we bid €25m and they want €50m, reason we only bid €25m is because he wants 14m a year in wages so the reports say

• Advertisement

Lukker- wrote: »

The bid was announced 5 months later.. we will be only hearing of an Alderweirald bid in December after he has already playerd 20odd games for us if that’s anything to go by :D

• Lukker- wrote: »

What's your point, may have missed the time of year but it's a clear example

What's your point, may have missed the time of year but it's a clear example

I think his point was that they made the bid in Winter but it only became officially known 5 months later when the Shakhtar President was talking about it in May/June

Saying we bid €25m and they want €50m, reason we only bid €25m is because he wants 14m a year in wages so the reports say

Bite me Boateng! :rolleyes:

Wouldn't go near him

I think his point was that they made the bid in Winter but it only became officially known 5 months later when the Shakhtar President was talking about it in May/June

Kieta to Liverpool

Confirmed bids by RB Leipzig

Another example, I was asked to provide one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Just checking, do we have to wait until Friday morning to point out how badly United have failed in this transfer window?

I mean, it was clear a month ago that not enough was being done but apparently we weren't allowed to say it, because transfers are hard and we didn't know everything happening behind the scenes, right?

Its just that the league starts on Friday and if we play poorly and drop points the fact that United royally screwed up the transfer window could get glossed over, I just figure we might as well point out the obvious 6 weeks one month 2 weeks ago now.

Kieta to Liverpool

Confirmed bids by RB Leipzig

Another example, I was asked to provide one

You weren’t asked to provide any :pac: “how many times is a bid announced” only implies that it’s a rare occasion, which in fairness is correct

Just checking, do we have to wait until Friday morning to point out how badly United have failed in this transfer window?

I mean, it was clear a month ago that not enough was being done but apparently we weren't allowed to say it, because transfers are hard and we didn't know everything happening behind the scenes, right?

Its just that the league starts on Friday and if we play poorly and drop points the fact that United royally screwed up the transfer window could get glossed over, I just figure we might as well point out the obvious 6 weeks one month 2 weeks ago now.

Even then unless the club provides a list of failed bids we should believe it all went according to plan and no one was missed out on.

Even if we bring in players now it could definitely be seen as a failure on the clubs part, the league starts on Friday for us, ideally you would want any new signings to have some sort of preseason with the new teammates and not rocking up the day before the league starts.

• Advertisement

Yep, feel like I have to wait until Friday to point out the obvious. I have an absolute arsenal of hyperbole to unload, but I'll save it for Friday.

Even if we get new players in in the next 40 hours, the idea was to start this season strong and prepared. To have our weaknesses addressed weeks ago and our new signings settling into the team in pre-season.

As it is, any signing made now will not be starting for us this week. They would probably be introduced in a substitution capacity over the remaining August games, it could be September before we see them as first team regulars. By September, enough silly points could be dropped by us to see us fall behind in the title race.

But I don't believe those new players are coming. We might get one in the next 40 or so hours, but one is not enough.

Dalot is a PL unproven youngster, and Fred is PL unproven. Lee Grant is...don't even. Lots of the deadwood still at the club. This has been a disaster of a window. Oops, there is some of that hyperbole.

The Pogba "news" seems to have been forgotten by Sky. I'd say they'll milk the Courtois /Chelsea gk deal till deadline.

You weren’t asked to provide any :pac: “how many times is a bid announced” only implies that it’s a rare occasion, which in fairness is correct

I'd rather not spend the evening counting random official bids

Why is it correct? Doesn't seem rare to me. If it was rare I'd have struggled to find an example so quickly :P

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,419 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Speed and relative ease of Fred and Dalot signings make me wonder about what United were at overall.

Why go for players from Spurs who are so tough to deal with?

Why have United not quickly moved on to get more attainable players. Create a reputation for not messing around.

United could have looked at clubs like Seville to get a player like Correa who had United so worried in Champions League.

I mean, I'm not going to apologise for wanting to think the best, for being optimistic about things and hoping that there was reasons to be excited as a football fan.

But hey, if you want to pat yourself on the back and go "I told you so", you do you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

It’s really a guessing game, were Mourinho’s original targets unrealistic, did Woodward make a balls of it, did we leave it too late, or did we try to get players and they just didn’t want to come/we were quoted ridiculous prices because of our desperation.

It could be one or a combination of all, who really knows. The fact of the matter is we have done fúck all to try and win the league this coming season, Liverpool have probably overtaken us and realistically 3rd is what we are playing for. This probably means Jose will walk during or be sacked at the end of the season.

There will be the usual people who scoff at writing off a season before a ball is kicked, the same people that couldn’t see our season was over in December last year.

• Advertisement

I mean, I'm not going to apologise for wanting to think the best, for being optimistic about things and hoping that there was reasons to be excited as a football fan.

But hey, if you want to pat yourself on the back and go "I told you so", you do you.

I may as well, considering myself and others did, in fact, tell you so.

And all we got in return was head in the sand condescension from a select few.

Well here we are, one senior signing worth talking about and going into the season relying on the same old same old. Who could have guessed.

Whatever else we've done badly this summer; the failure to address RB is completely scandalous.

To begin the season with Valencia as first choice (with all his old failings)....and he's not even fit - is unforgivable.

I say that assuming Dalot has to be one for the future....

Surely Darmian would have been sold long ago, only for the dearth of options in this position.

If the #1 transfer target didn't work out, there must surely be alternatives lined up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,006 ✭✭✭beno619

pjohnson wrote: »

If it was legit United would have put out a presser saying he's not for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

It's hard to not be negative

Jose is depressing me

Constantly whinging and criticising players and going on with the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,232 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

We are a team of good players that give the impression that they can't click

Can't stand another season of ****e football

I want exciting play not dour ****e week in week out

Second place is exactly that second

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Can we sign Bolt as a winger the man would be epic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

It's hard to not be negative

Jose is depressing me

Constantly whinging and criticising players and going on with the club

you constantly complained about united having DDG to the fact yoiu said he should be sold cheap just to get rid of him. Back in your box

you constantly complained about united having DDG to the fact yoiu said he should be sold cheap just to get rid of him. Back in your box

I thought that was John Bateman or summat?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

There are three scenarios possible as I see it.

1) Jose identified his targets but Ed/the board felt the prices quoted by the holding club were too much and balked, or they were told the player was not available.

2) Offers were accepted but the player didn't want to join us.

3) The players wanted remuneration that Ed/the board felt was unreasonable.

Imo they are all equally likely.

While i don't want to see the club scrimping I also don't want to see a scenario where we are seen as a soft touch that will pay anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

Should offer Everton Rojo and a few million and try get Coleman off them

I may as well, considering myself and others did, in fact, tell you so.

And all we got in return was head in the sand condescension from a select few.

Well here we are, one senior signing worth talking about and going into the season relying on the same old same old. Who could have guessed.

If you got condescension, maybe because it was because said belief was presented in a condescending manner and at a time where it appeared founded not in reality but in a desire to be negative about how things would turn out. The fact you're now looking for a pat on the back because the sky has fallen as you claimed only really adds to that image, to be blunt.

But hey, you got proven right, the transfer window has sucked, you get to tell everyone "I told you so" and thats the important thing, I guess. I won't bother trying to be optimistic again.

DwI7.gif

1) Jose identified his targets but Ed/the board felt the prices quoted by the holding club were too much and balked, or they were told the player was not available.

While i don't want to see the club scrimping I also don't want to see a scenario where we are seen as a soft touch that will pay anything.

4) The prep work that should have been done 6 months ago wasn't done and the club found out the hard way that a shortened window with a world cup in the middle of it was a really bad time to start thinking about transfers.

If you got condescension, maybe because it was because said belief was presented in a condescending manner and at a time where it appeared founded not in reality

It was always the reality, thats why we said it.

what about the other side of the coin...

jose wanted 5 players,

a midfielder
    right back
    back up keeper
    centre back
    attacking right midfielder

they already signed 3, a centre back will probably be signed before window closes and the right winger jose wanted was bale but with zidane leaving that has changed and now they are trying for dembele from barca

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,136 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Im pissed off that nothing has happened yet and where nearly done but part of me would love a really exciting deadline day deal or two.

Feels like its been so so long since we where proper involved in something big coming in on the last day.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement