Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Propogating flowers and plants

Options
  • 27-05-2018 11:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know what the best flowers and plants are to take clippings of and propagate - and what is the best way of propagating them? Is it as simple as putting them in a plant pot and using peat moss/compost etc or what is the best way of doing it?

I would love to propagate some rhododendrons - anybody done this before?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭Accidentally

I've never got rhododendrons to take from cuttings, but that could just be me. Layering works well if it's your plant and you can wait until next spring to split it from the parent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I have Rhododendrons from hardwood cuttings taken in autumn. It's a slow process and layering is quicker and more successful. Google "propagate rhododendrons" as there are good sites out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

I have Rhododendrons from hardwood cuttings taken in autumn. It's a slow process and layering is quicker and more successful. Google "propagate rhododendrons" as there are good sites out there.

Thanks for that, what is layering?

Here you go. It can be used for many shrubby plants, just takes a bit of patience

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-layer-rhododendrons/

Here you go. It can be used for many shrubby plants, just takes a bit of patience

https://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-layer-rhododendrons/

Any idea how long that layering process will take Accidentally?

• Advertisement

Any idea how long that layering process will take Accidentally?

If you start now it might be okay to separate in autumn, but personally I would leave until next spring.

A little trick is to bury a pot in the ground, so when you separate, it's already in a pot and you don't need to disturb roots.

Ah right, I was mis-understanding the process. I need to have an existing rhododendron plant to layer from, right? I was hoping to just cut off one in a friends house.

Ah right, I was mis-understanding the process. I need to have an existing rhododendron plant to layer from, right? I was hoping to just cut off one in a friends house.

As Srameen said, you could try hardwood cuttings, but you'd be waiting until October or later to start.

This is just six inch cuttings, stripped of all but two leaves. Dip the ends in rooting compound and push about 4 inches into coarse sand in a deep pot (No soil). Leave outdoors until spring and you should hopefully have rooted plants

Advertisement