Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New development house layout

Options
  • 27-05-2018 11:34am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

Hi all, just waiting for contracts to go to our solicitor on a house in a new development. As the development/property isn’t due to be finished till late autumn/winter I am hoping to get some tips from people who have gone through the process.

In particular any tips on choosing electrical points, when to start dealing directly with developer or anything that if you could turn back time and change, you would. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

First and foremost check what they are going to charge for any work. You gt a nasty surprise when they charge €75 to have a double socket instead of a single.

You can never have enough sockets and where a tv is likely to be you should be looking for about 8 IMHO. I like lamp sockets with a switch with the lights and 2 way switching for certain rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

Jucifer wrote: »
    Hi all, just waiting for contracts to go to our solicitor on a house in a new development. As the development/property isn’t due to be finished till late autumn/winter I am hoping to get some tips from people who have gone through the process.

In particular any tips on choosing electrical points, when to start dealing directly with developer or anything that if you could turn back time and change, you would. Thanks.

Depending on who the developer is you might not have the luxury of changing anything until it's handed over. Anything!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

There is no right time.
    The first thing you do is ask the developer if he is willing to alter the specification for you.

Most wont.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Cat.6 Sockets , all brought back to a central location (under stairs or in attic) behind every tv mount, beside wherever the Virgin media / phone / sky cables come in , two in the ceiling on the ground and first floor for wifi access points, also if theres a box / office room two in there and just one in each habitable room beside a power socket.

Cat.6 is very versatile, you can use it for phone/broadband/hdmi video distribution/intercom etc....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

Thanks all for replies. Hoping the developer will be ok with changing specifications as we have budget for kitchen, wardrobes, flooring etc. where we can pick our own and overpay if we want something more expensive.

I suppose it’s mainly the electrics we need to worry about talking to him about. I agree more points the better. Didn’t realise they could be 75 Euro tho.

As soon as the contracts are signed I will contact the developer directly to suss out the possibility of going through the planned points so we don’t leave it too late.

I will do some research into the cat 6 and if possible chat to them about it. Thanks for the tip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭dubrov

As soon as the contracts are signed I will contact the developer directly to suss out the possibility of going through the planned points so we don’t leave it too late.

Once the contracts are signed they won't care.
    Almost all builders will allow zero change to the electrical spec. Some will allow changes but will charge high fees.
    You can try to discuss it before signing the contract but these days they will just say take it or leave it.

For kitchen/wardrobe/flooring they will install and have allowed a certain amount to purchase the products. If you source the products elsewhere, they will just charge you the extra over what they had originally allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Jucifer

dubrov wrote: »
    Once the contracts are signed they won't care.
    Almost all builders will allow zero change to the electrical spec. Some will allow changes but will charge high fees.
    You can try to discuss it before signing the contract but these days they will just say take it or leave it.

For kitchen/wardrobe/flooring they will install and have allowed a certain amount to purchase the products. If you source the products elsewhere, they will just charge you the extra over what they had originally allowed

Ok maybe thanks. I’ll definitely push to see where they have the electrical point planned for but it sounds like might need to pick our battles.

Advertisement