Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation 1

• 27-05-2018 1:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭

I was given Medievel,Grand Theft Auto,Crash Bandicoot,War Gods,Die Hard Trilogy,Tomb Raider & V Rally all for PS1.

Question is-Is it worth picking up a PS1? Is there many decent games or should I sell these. Megadrive is my go to console

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,204 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Antibac wrote: »
    I was given Medievel,Grand Theft Auto,Crash Bandicoot,War Gods,Die Hard Trilogy,Tomb Raider & V Rally all for PS1.

Question is-Is it worth picking up a PS1? Is there many decent games or should I sell these. Megadrive is my go to console

It's one of the best consoles ever made, so yes :)

Super cheap to pick up too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭Antibac

o1s1n wrote: »
    It's one of the best consoles ever made, so yes :)

Super cheap to pick up too.

Vaguely remember Resident Evil & WWF on it but not much else. Any recommendations of games to pick up please?

Master of the Universe

Antibac wrote: »
    Vaguely remember Resident Evil & WWF on it but not much else. Any recommendations of games to pick up please?

Metal Gear Solid is still one of the greatest games ever made, it's truly brilliant and still feels fresh and modern.

Some other greats; Silent Hill, Final Fantasy 7,8 and 9, Castlevania Symphony of the Night, Future Cop LAPD, Syndicate Wars, Oddworld games, Unholy War, Wipeout 2097, Time Crisis, Point Blank...ah I could go on and on, there are literally millions!. Most can be had for good prices too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you want to start collecting PS1 games seriously start with getting a console modded and only buying US and Japanese releases. You'll only regret it down the line when you realise that European releases are gimped with a lower framerate and cropped screen dimensions.

If you aren't serious then ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

Retr0gamer wrote:
    If you want to start collecting PS1 games seriously start with getting a console modded and only buying US and Japanese releases. You'll only regret it down the line when you realise that European releases are gimped with a lower framerate and cropped screen dimensions.

"Seriously is the key word" & that goes for most consoles.
    If it wasn't a system you have any nostalgia for I would 100% agree with retr0 . get a modded console and buy the US releases.
    I have a nostalgia for the PS1 so I stick to EU boxes and don't worry about frame rate and cropped screens but that's a personal thing, I'm just happy to relive the experience once more.
    ... that said, with some games I didn't get to experience first hand back then I get the US releases and get the full intended experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

My PAL PS1 collection is too big to feck with now so modded console and perfectly legal backups running at 60hz will have to do me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,747 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Same with my N64 collection... wish I knew then

• Registered Users Posts: 6,280 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Maybe it's just me but despite growing up with one I don't really think of the PS1 much.

Some of my favourite games are Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 & 2, Gran Turismo and the Spyro Trilogy. I also liked the Soviet and Nuclear Strike games, if you played any of the Strike series on Mega Drive.

Notable mentions are Alien Trilogy, Re-Volt, Frogger and Destruction Derby.

Never played the likes of Final Fantasy, Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil etc.

Master of the Universe

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Maybe it's just me but despite growing up with one I don't really think of the PS1 much.

Some of my favourite games are Tony Hawks Pro Skater 1 & 2, Gran Turismo and the Spyro Trilogy. I also liked the Soviet and Nuclear Strike games, if you played any of the Strike series on Mega Drive.

The last part of your post is the direct reason for the first part of your post ;)

Out of all them I'd only rank tony hawks as a classic. You just weren't playing the right games. The PS1 library is full of weird and crazy stuff that sticking to the big games will mostly end in disappointment.

• Advertisement

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Out of all them I'd only rank tony hawks as a classic. You just weren't playing the right games. The PS1 library is full of weird and crazy stuff that sticking to the big games will mostly end in disappointment.

I didn't say my taste in games was good :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

I rank the PS1 as highly as the brilliant SNES as the favourite consoles I own.

Brilliant games although with it being the first proper generation of 3D console some of the 3D games can look a little rough now.

I remember buying it with Rage Racer and Soul Blade aka Soul Edge. The Platinum Collection was a great idea by Sony to keep sales going on older titles. Being a young teenager at the time it was friendly on the wallet. I have too many games on it I like to even attempt to pick a favourite.

The more adult games like Silent Hill, Resident Evil, GTA, Wipeout were a real shock and a change to what came before in the 16 bit era.

I borrowed Time Crisis from a friend along with the gun. Was blown away that I had close to an arcade experience at home. The Namco arcade titles really blew me away, but they were only the tip of the iceberg.

And don't forget at that time Sony were just another electronics company like Phillips and Panasonic trying to jump on the console bandwagon and attempt to take on Nintendo and Sega.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I didn't say my taste in games was good :P

If only others were as honest!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

But the PS has plenty of great titles.
    Some expensive, like Castlevania SotN, some not The Raiden Project.
    It's worth picking up the likes of F1'97, the G Police games as well as Wipeout 2097 and Wipeout 3.
    Ridge Racer and it's sequels are also worth buying, and I have a massive soft spot for Magic Carpet, though for many it's dated a lot.
    GTA is good fun, launching the eternal franchise in that era.
    And that's only the mainstream stuff!
    And most of them are buttons on Adverts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I bought my PS1 with my confirmation money in 1997. In Lifestyle, of all places. Picked up Die Hard Trilogy with it. What a game. I got some amount of hours enjoyment out of it. Other favorites were Tekken 2, Gran Turismo, Soviet Strike, GTA, Command & Conquer and Cool Boarders 3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BGOllie

sooo many classics on the ps1. I'd add the two Legacy of Kaine games and the Oddworld ones, the Suikoden games too, Parisite eve games ...Dino Crisis .
    I had heaps of fun with the Crash Bandicoot games too ... and Wipeout(s) ...

Oh and Micro Machines V3 , oh man the hours spent on that.

Master of the Universe

I remember my mam almost convinced me to sell my Megadrive to buy a PS1 :eek:

Was smart enough at the time to hold off and continue to save up the huge sum of £129.

Only had that demo with it for a while, but what a demo it was! Must be the greatest demo disc ever created? Everything from Die Hard to a T Rex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,369 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Megadrive and PS1 are my 2 favourite consoles of all time. I sold my megadrive to get the ps1, I think it was xmas '95 and cost 300 sterling up the north. :eek:

Alot of the main stream games have been suggested already, but a few lesser known games that I really liked, Jumping Flash, Loaded, Warhawk, Twisted metal.

Love the PS1 not for the mainstream games many of which have aged badly or are just not great... crash bandicoot... cough. It was the first generation of console where 3D worked... barely. Nobody really knew how to make a 3D game or what the market wanted. The industry hadn't consolidated around the same boring open world checklist or dude Bro shooter. You just got a raft of creativity and weirdness some of which were successful. 2D also hadn't died out just yet. It's up there with my favourite consoles because it just offers so much. Even the recent indie scene doesn't offer the same amount of boundless creativity on show.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,184 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dr Bob

stop_liking_file.jpg

• Advertisement

Well the others mentioned aren't bad... other than Alien Triology which really doesn't live up. It's just out of them Tony Hawks are the only one I can go back to now and still enjoy it as if it was fresh and new.

Any one remember the backlash against PS1 games being only 8 hours long? People complaining as the Japanese audience wanted games that were 8 hours long as it suited their lifestyle?

I wish we had more of that now.

Master of the Universe

Another interesting one about the PS1 was the amount of ports from PC games.

Was the first time I really got into Doom/Final Doom, Duke 3D, Quake 2, MDK, C&C and Red Alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,790 ✭✭✭Jack burton

Any one remember the backlash against PS1 games being only 8 hours long? People complaining as the Japanese audience wanted games that were 8 hours long as it suited their lifestyle?

I wish we had more of that now.

I didn't know that, but I'd love a few 8 hour games now to dip into.

Resident evil is 3 hours easily and still an awesome game imo.

I'm actually delighted reading through this thread. PS1 is so much of my childhood. Still have a ton of games I want to get for the system. I'll be hitting up eBay big time over the next week :D

What's the best video connection to be using with it? RGB scart? I saw a composite cable on eBay aswell, think that might be PS2 only though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

A good way to play PS1 games I think it's to use a PS2 and a component out. Do all PS2s offer backwards compatibility? My old fat version does anyway.

o1s1n wrote: »
    Another interesting one about the PS1 was the amount of ports from PC games.

Was the first time I really got into Doom/Final Doom, Duke 3D, Quake 2, MDK, C&C and Red Alert.

Most of the PC ports were kind of bad in comparison to the PC versions. Playable, but really downgraded. The PS2 version of Quake 2 though was a technical marvel with a brand new engine and new as well as remixed levels. Had a lot of fun playing 4 player split screen on it.
    I didn't know that, but I'd love a few 8 hour games now to dip into.

Resident evil is 3 hours easily and still an awesome game imo.

I'm actually delighted reading through this thread. PS1 is so much of my childhood. Still have a ton of games I want to get for the system. I'll be hitting up eBay big time over the next week :D

What's the best video connection to be using with it? RGB scart? I saw a composite cable on eBay aswell, think that might be PS2 only though

Yeah I remember reading loads of letters in magazines with people complaining they are getting through games in a few days and wish they were longer like the Final Fantasy games. Really wish there were more focused games these days since there's very few open world games that aren't just bloat. You have stuff now like GoG offering value for money ratings based on game time. I'd rather a short experience I thoroughly enjoy instead of one where 20 hours in I realise I hadn't been enjoying it for the last 10 hours.

RGB is the best, PS1 doesn't support component. RGB out is pretty good on the system.

I was fairly young when the PS1 was out so that might attribute to my lack of appreciation. It hasn't aged well though so it's not as easy to play in my opinion. I'm not likely to go back and play anything I've missed :P

Master of the Universe

A good way to play PS1 games I think it's to use a PS2 and a component out. Do all PS2s offer backwards compatibility? My old fat version does anyway.

There'd be no benefit from that at all unfortunately.

The PS1 is 240p, which RGB supports. So you're getting the best out of that already.

RGB caps out at 480i, whereas component can do up to 480p. So you only really get a benefit from component if;

Your console supports 480p (you only get this from the Gamecube/PS2 Gen on)
    The game your playing on the console has a 480p mode (many of them don't)
    Your TV supports 480p (The vast majority of CRTs don't)

I was fairly young when the PS1 was out so that might attribute to my lack of appreciation. It hasn't aged well though so it's not as easy to play in my opinion. I'm not likely to go back and play anything I've missed :P

Plenty of stuff on the PS1 does hold up. It's just finding the stuff that does.

Which in itself can be part of the fun.

Just to add: Soviet Strike wouldn't hold up today because of the low framerate but it has a mission where you protect Boris Yeltsin during a terrorist attempt on his life where halfway through he stops to go to the off license for vodka... which I think was changed to a burger later or on release.

That right there forgives any sins the game may have.

• Advertisement

Rage Racer and Need for Speed Hot Pursuit/Road Challenge still hold up imho.
    Some great shmups there too, especially when you journey outside into NTSC territory, with Raiden DX, Gradius Gaiden and the simply sublime Ëinhander.

And forget Alien Trilogy, Alien Resurrection was an amazing piece of work late in the PS1s lifecycle, especially with the PS Mouse.
    Super Pocket Fighter is also great.

Advertisement