Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anything more pathetic than soccer Trolls/Gremlins?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Does anybody enjoy watching Ireland anymore?

They seem to enjoy getting on JOE.ie for serenading French people more so, I'll give you that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Why are football teams called a 'squad' and why is it that when there is a game it's called a 'clash'.

What makes people "follow" particular teams to which they have no geographic connection? Do they pick their names out of a hat?

Honestly? The team were succesful when the chap was a youngster or else their dad followed them. That' mostly the reasons. You'll hear of an uncle that lived in Liverpool in the 70's and that was the inspiration but you seldom here of Birmingham fans for the same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

AllForIt wrote: »
    Why are football teams called a 'squad' and why is it that when there is a game is it called a 'clash'.
    The squad is a panel usually consisting of 23 players. The team is picked from this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭limnam

It can actually be pretty decent.

I prefer watching the likes of Dundalk and Cork than our national teams route one anti football.

While there's been some decent players over the years. Kevin Hunt been a great example who could use the ball properly. They tended to have spent time in England. The other problem is when you have them in the team they're generally not surrounded by players good enough to read what they're trying to do.

There is and always was a lot of hoofball going on because of the lack of technical skill/training/money. Which is a chicken and egg problem. A lot of people won't pay to watch it, by not paying money doesn't get into the sport etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

They will turn a blind eye and defend anything the club does. One manager was a doper as a player and all his teams run like Usain Bolt for 90 minutes all season and never gets injured and get caught the odd time not being in the hotel they are supposed to be when the drug testers turn up yet people treat him like a god.

Thinking of it now I don’t even know why I watch it.

Well Leicester are cheating *****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

limnam wrote: »
    While there's been some decent players over the years. Kevin Hunt been a great example who could use the ball properly. They tended to have spent time in England. The other problem is when you have them in the team they're generally not surrounded by players good enough to read what they're trying to do.

There is and always was a lot of hoofball going on because of the lack of technical skill/training/money. Which is a chicken and egg problem. A lot of people won't pay to watch it, by not paying money doesn't get into the sport etc etc

This is an excellent point I’d support priorswood over shelbourne. I go to a certain north Dublin u13 team every week. Next year I’ll go u14. Is it terrible I follow man utd too rather than watch shelbourne hoof the ball to the corner flag and fight for a second ball?
    Am I not a real fan?
    Or am I a hipster fan because I follow an Irish team nobody even knows the name of the star striker and he is only 13?

Omackeral wrote: »
    Your weird spacing out of points is distracting. When you start every one of them with 'so' it comes off as very defensive. I'll just address what you said anyway. There's no real barrier distance wise but logic would suggest that the closer you are to a ground/team, the easier it is to get there. Logic would also suggest that a fella or girl who goes to every single game is more of a supporter than a fella or girl who goes to one every 5 years. Shockingly, there's no real rule book here. It's just simple logic. You go to games, you're a supporter. You're literally there supporting the team vocally and financially. It's not a great mystery,it's done across Europe and the world in fact!

Sorry, when you write with no spaces and paragraph's it's hard to read so I try to space it out.

I don't know why you decided to address it as you ignored most of the points made

"So" it seems you're more interested in who's "more" of supporter like there's some "best supporter competition" you're in with what seems to be no one else but yourself.

What I'd suggest is enjoy your ball/sport whatever way you see fit and let others do the same. That way you won't need to keep score on who's the best "fan"/"supporter"

Bang on. The problem here is coaching at young levels, or at least it was when I was a boy. Hoof it up to the big fella no matter what. There's no merit in 20 odd kids under 12 chasing a ball on a massive field. Should encourage passing on a smaller scale and bring on their touch rather than deciding who plays where basedon size. Maybe it's changed since.

Also, I'm not anti-English football at all. I love the Premier League. 98% of LOI fans do too. LOI is on Fridays, EPL is on Saturdays. As a controversial slogan said, LoveBoth! It's easy to follow the two of them.

Are there any Leeds Utd fans still knocking about? They used to be a really popular team in Ireland.

Seemed to disappear around the time Leeds went into serious decline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

Sorry but grown men who support a team to an extent that they get into a rage are outright pathetic.
    The same guys who post crap like 'we' didn't do it tonight unlucky....

You ain't on the team mate, there's no 'we'.

These same halfwit can be found at children's soccer matches roaring abuse from the sidelines.

Blackburn used to have supporters here too back in the 90s.

I wonder who these people follow now.

I don't know why you decided to address it as you ignored most of the points made

"So" it seems you're more interested in who's "more" of supporter like there's some "best supporter competition" you're in with what seems to be no one else but yourself.

What I'd suggest is enjoy your ball/sport whatever way you see fit and let others do the same. That way you won't need to keep score on who's the best "fan"/"supporter"

I addressed all your points to be fair. I made no mention of competitions or anything like it, you started the whole what's the rules for being a fan thing. You asked what makes a fan. I simply said going to games does, to me anyway. I think it stands to reason that someone who goes to all games is more of a supporter than someone who goes to one or none. That's not being elitist or sneering, that's just logic surely?

Finally, I don't keep score, I'm offering an opinion. I'm letting people enjoy what they want and how they want, how would I stop them. I also said it's perfectly possible to follow an English team and Irish team, most LOI fans do.

Are there any Leeds Utd fans still knocking about? They used to be a really popular team in Ireland.

There's a few older lads hanging about all right :D

Same as forest/spurs/vila/arsenal and more recently the city/Chelsea crowd.

Kids tend to go with whatever clubs having success at the time they start to get into football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Blackburn used to have supporters here too back in the 90s.

I wonder who these people follow now.

Blackburn probably.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

he didnt have a dislocated shoulder.
    all im said was that lots of players in the past have played on with worse injuries
    he is their only great player . im sugesting he could have tried to play longer and see if he could add anything to the game.

Lol

Blood coming from above an eyebrow isn't a worse injury.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You still meet a few diehards every now and again, they are still popular enough that people made fun of that awful new crest earlier this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

sugarman wrote: »
    You have to laugh at the Irish mentality towards our own league. We're a nation of plastic, glory hunting barstoolers. No ifs or buts.

Theres always some half arsed excuse why someone solely follows a British club over an Irish one, justified by a 'sure its a crap standard anyway'.

Supporting a team isnt about the standard. If it was, there wouldn't be enough teams to form a single division in most countries, never-mind a league. Its about supporting your local team, a team you share a connection with. The passion and pride of the team in the town/county. Its about attending games and being there through thick and thin, the good and bad times.

As mentioned a few posts back, in GAA you dont see fans from Dublin supporting Kerry or visa versa because 'Their uncle lived there in the 70s', 'Me da supported them' or even when each county had their golden eras winning titles, there was no fans jumping ship. If a Dub referred to Kerry as 'we' or 'us' they'd be rightly laughed out of it.

So why do football "fans" support a team in another country with absolutely no affiliation to the club, city or country? ...and why only successful or previously successful teams? Because theyre plastic, gloryhunting barstoolers. Theres no other answer. Simple as.

Im a massive football fan in general, i'll watch any game. I'll go to any game. But for neither love or money I could never fathom supporting anyone else other than Rovers and Ireland. Without a connection, without being able to attend games. It means nothing.

Amen!

Im a massive football fan in general, i'll watch any game. I'll go to any game. But for neither love or money I could never fathom supporting anyone else other than Rovers and Ireland. Without a connection, without being able to attend games. It means nothing.

I'm a Bohemians man through and through. I'd have more time for the staunchest anti-Bohs Hoops fan more than I would for any self-identifying Irish 'Manc' or 'Scouser'. We'll see things they'll never see.

• Advertisement

Supporting a team isnt about the standard. If it was, there wouldn't be...

...any Ireland fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I like how people says 'us' and 'we' when referring to their team as if they somehow take part in the game themselves...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I like how people says 'us' and 'we' when referring to their team as if they somehow take part in the game themselves...

Or how the players on 75k a week actually give a fcuk about the team or fans...

Didn't Ronaldo call Manchester a ****hole when he was there? (Accurate, but should he have said it?)

As for Irish fans supporting English clubs instead of our own clubs...it's all a bit too infantile to understand really. A lot of these fans also happen to be armchair Irish Republicans too which is more than a little bizarre and hypocritical.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭DubInTheWest

Or how the players on 75k a week actually give a fcuk about the team or fans...

I remember watching the movie ' A Bronx Tale' years ago and they guy says about a baseball player, 'he don't care about you, so why should you care about him.'

He ^^ was right.

Being honest if I was a celebrity and on major cash, I don't think I'd care about any fans or anybody, I'd just love seeing the bank balance rising. Selfish I know :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

It's schadenfreude in the safest way possible. No one got hurt, makes zero difference to anyone's life. With soccer at this level (or ant sport at the top level) 99% of the fans have no affiliation to the team they support whether they are from that area or not, they just do it to appease their tribal instincts and then bask in the glory or shame on nights like last night.

I am guilty of this myself and I enjoy nights like last night when a "rival" takes a blow, but I do be devastated when my team is on the receiving end, and I tend to avoid all social media connected to this for a few days.

You are 100% right mate. Comparing them to 5 year olds is insulting to children.

Ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,079 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Ugh.

Bleurgh

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I remember watching the movie ' A Bronx Tale' years ago and they guy says about a baseball player, 'he don't care about you, so why should you care about him.'

He ^^ was right.

Being honest if I was a celebrity and on major cash, I don't think I'd care about any fans or anybody, I'd just love seeing the bank balance rising. Selfish I know :(

Its just entertainment that's all. Similar to going to the movies years ago, and being able to quote part of the script.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Think after last nights incident with Waterford's Alan Reynolds, there are definitely things more pathetic than soccer trolls...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I'm a Bohemians man through and through. I'd have more time for the staunchest anti-Bohs Hoops fan more than I would for any self-identifying Irish 'Manc' or 'Scouser'. We'll see things they'll never see.

I heard someone arguing about this before. “Why don’t you support or go to LoI games ?”

“Because it’s ****”

I don’t necessarily agree as I find all football hard to watch sometimes.
    The old firm is the most pathetic of all though.

If professional football ceased to exist tomorrow, the world would not be altered one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

Well done, you have successfully claimed the sporting highground...

I suppose you have to console yourself with something, when you're watching that muck every week! :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

You have to laugh at the Irish mentality towards our own league. We're a nation of plastic, glory hunting barstoolers. No ifs or buts.

Theres always some half arsed excuse why someone solely follows a British club over an Irish one, justified by a 'sure its a crap standard anyway'.

Supporting a team isnt about the standard. If it was, there wouldn't be enough teams to form a single division in most countries, never-mind a league. Its about supporting your local team, a team you share a connection with. The passion and pride of the team in the town/county. Its about attending games and being there through thick and thin, the good and bad times.

As mentioned a few posts back, in GAA you dont see fans from Dublin supporting Kerry or visa versa because 'Their uncle lived there in the 70s', 'Me da supported them' or even when each county had their golden eras winning titles, there was no fans jumping ship. If a Dub referred to Kerry as 'we' or 'us' they'd be rightly laughed out of it.

So why do football "fans" support a team in another country with absolutely no affiliation to the club, city or country? ...and why only successful or previously successful teams? Because theyre plastic, gloryhunting barstoolers. Theres no other answer. Simple as.

In a nutshell.

When I was a lad, I chose Spurs as my team simply because I liked the name Spurs and Klinsmann was cleaning up. A good pal of mine was a United fan and sort of infected me with a love for them, so I soon switched allegiance. I was a huge Utd fan up til my early 20's, until I realized the folly that was a meaningless affiliation with a team in another country, a stadium I rarely get to and a bunch of players as far removed from the reality of a common person as you can get. Even Mancunians themselves feel outsiders in Old Trafford these days, priced out of it most of the time.

These days if I want of a dose of glitzy, high octane, adrenaline fueled action, I go watch the latest Superhero movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

seachto7 wrote: »
    So did one of the Argentinians in 1986.

I remember years ago a lad at work asked me who did I “follow”. I said “Utd” just to make conversation and he said “ya bollox. I’m a scouser”. I wanted to say “no you’re not. You’re from Shannon”.

Haha. I don't get the loyalty to a foreign city aspect of following premier league clubs either.

Was at Bohs v Spurs in Dalymount for a friendly back in 2003.
    Bohs fans sent over to the old away stand because, sadly, there were more Irish Spurs fans in Bohs' home ground than northsiders following their own northside team!
    We didn't mind because its a good payday for the club.
    I'll always remember the Spurs fan who went on pitch to do the half-time raffle though talking to the MC.

"Now, we've a Spurs fan on to do the draw. Where have you travelled from tonight, pal?"

"Cabra"

:D:D:D

And we (Bohs) beat them 3 - 1 as well - felt like a great big F U to pub fans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭ThinkProgress

aidoh wrote: »
    And we (Bohs) beat them 3 - 1 as well - felt like a great big F U to pub fans.

It's a bit sad, when this is the best you can ever hope for as a LOI club supporter... winning a meaningless friendly, that only a small handful of people will ever care to remember!

Even if the the LOI was a well run operation - (pretty much an impossible dream with the FAI in charge! :P) - there is still very little scope for growth and expansion as a league... the fanbase of the clubs is just too tiny for the league to ever matter in a meaningful way!

It's competing with GAA and Rugby on this Island... both of which are light years ahead in their structure and organisation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

This whole ideal of people only supporting their local team always strikes me as similar to telling a guy living next to a railway line that he can only travel by train. Or a guy living beside a road that he can't travel by plane.

My 'local' LOI team is 55 miles away and the only time I went to their ground, my father was hit by a thrown bottle and ending up needing stitches so the chances of supporting them are a lot less than zero.

The next nearest team is 90 miles away. Cork City so no other reason needed:D

I've been to a few hundred games, about half LOI, half in England.

I've never been attacked after a match in England.
    I've never had bottles thrown at me while at a match in England

I've never had to take someone to hospital after a match in England.
    I've never had my windscreen smashed while at a match in England.
    I've never been spat at while at a match in England.
    I've never been told to fcuk off by a steward at a match in England.

I'll take my English experience of matches all day, every day and twice on Sundays over my Irish experiences of matches.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭aidoh

It's a bit sad, when this is the best you can ever hope for as a LOI club supporter... winning a meaningless friendly, that only a small handful of people will ever care to remember!

Even if the the LOI was a well run operation - (pretty much an impossible dream with the FAI in charge! :P) - there is still very little scope for growth and expansion as a league... the fanbase of the clubs is just too tiny for the league to ever matter in a meaningful way!

It's competing with GAA and Rugby on this Island... both of which are light years ahead in their structure and organisation!

Hardly the best a LOI fan could hope for.
    Bohs had a decent Champions League qualification campaign that year too - that was pretty good. Had one or two cracks at it since. As have other LOI clubs. Look at the great success of Dundalk and Cork City in the last year or two.

Just me but I think shamelessly relishing the memory of *my* club defeating a foreign club and, in the process, embarrassing the Irish barstoolers is a bit cooler than to gloat about watching one English team beating another in a pub during the day, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

That's pathetic. Utterly sad. For a nation that gets plaudits for being The Best Fans in the World, we are actually abysmal at supporting our own.

As I said, lack of soccer infrastructure and population, if we had a populace of 15-20 million, reunification and big clubs in the large cities and a few more larger towns to boot then we'd be more like the Dutch or Portuguese as regards domestic soccer for example, even Scotland's a good example of a slightly bigger and more urbanised football nation.

Well done, you have successfully claimed the sporting highground...

I suppose you have to console yourself with something, when you're watching that muck every week! :P

It’s not a highground at all. Just truth. Attending live football, you see things off camera as in game play off the ball and stuff tacticallly that you might not see otherwise. You hear a lot of the great banter between rival fans in the chants that you wouldn’t really pick up through the television. You get to see and actually be part of some great tifo displays that really help create a phenomenal atmosphere. You get to be a part of something organic and communnal. You get to see the next James McClean coming through the ranks as it happens. I’m happy with my consolation.

Better than sleeping in a United/Liverpool/Chelsea/Arsenal duvet anyway and posting on a forum while your team is playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

'Get out of it ya scouse c**t'

'What would you know about it ya Manc bol**x'

Had to listen to 2 lads, from Dublin, go on like this in an office for years.

And saying 'we' all the time. Were you playing? No. Are you even from there? No.

I like soccer the odd time, but prefer rugby, gaelic and hurling. I've never once said 'we' when describing a team I follow, because I'm not on the team.
    I have said 'we' when referring to teams I was playing on or managing as I had an input to the team.
    Buying a jersey and speaking in a fake English accent doesn't mean you have had an input.

dd972 wrote: »
    As I said, lack of soccer infrastructure and population, if we had a populace of 15-20 million, reunification and big clubs in the large cities and a few more larger towns to boot then we'd be more like the Dutch or Portuguese as regards domestic soccer for example, even Scotland's a good example of a slightly bigger and more urbanised football nation.

Bollox. If we were as football mad as we like to think, we could get 10,000 to our games. We used to do that actually. Irish people simply don’t do domestic football anymore. We’re great for a day out though. The thing is, I don’t really care that much anymore as I honestly think it’s their loss. You can’t beat a vibrant club scene week in and week out. Being at a last minute derby win is something you can’t replicate by seeing on a screen.

The thing that used to p*ss me off was this notion that we’re the best fans in the world, a football obsessed nation. Now I just find it ironic, a bit sad but a bit funny at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

I recently moved to Drimnagh and have been going to St Pats matches in Richmond Park. I have to say, even though the football can be of a poor standard I really enjoy going and intend to keep doing so. There's a fella who's there all the time and he needs to go in to stand up. He's absolutely hilarious, and comes out with some great lines. He keeps me entertained when the match is boring.

• Advertisement
Advertisement