Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone else think this is horribly user unfriendly?

• 27-05-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭

User:
    Wants to get to Sandyford
    Looks up the 75
    View on Map - Great it leaves you right at Aldi. Perfect.

FBbRiP0.png

Except, it doesn't. Those two stops are used for a small number of V services that operate during a short early morning window. No reference to this on the map. If they listed it as 75v with its own entry fine, but its shoehorned into the main 75 listing. The map is misleading.

WrxEIeO.png

Not sure how a visitor to the city is meant to navigate the system when its awkward as all hell even for locals. Just me or is this idiotic?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

You'd really want to be some poor sap f a visitor to want or need to get a 75 on your trip to Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

You'd really want to be some poor sap f a visitor to want or need to get a 75 on your trip to Dublin.

It's quite likely. Someone visiting Ireland for work, going to a company based in Sandyford and decides to stay in Dun Laoghaire because it's more scenic and has a public transport connection to Sandyford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,085 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

markpb wrote: »
    It's quite likely. Someone visiting Ireland for work, going to a company based in Sandyford and decides to stay in Dun Laoghaire because it's more scenic and has a pubic transport connection to Sandyford.

Eh yeah... They'll get the 75 rather than a more than likely expensed cab. Cmon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,360 ✭✭✭markpb

Eh yeah... They'll get the 75 rather than a more than likely expensed cab. Cmon.

I traveled quite a bit for work and almost always took public transport instead of a taxi. I'm not saying I'm in the majority but it does happen.

Anyway what's more likely is that someone who normally drives to work decides to give transport a go, finds out that the 75 goes to Sandyford, ends up on a tour of Stillorgan without going to Sandyford, gets annoyed and goes back to driving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I traveled quite a bit for work and almost always took public transport instead of a taxi. I'm not saying I'm in the majority but it does happen.

Anyway what's more likely is that someone who normally drives to work decides to give transport a go, finds out that the 75 goes to Sandyford, ends up on a tour of Stillorgan without going to Sandyford, gets annoyed and goes back to driving.

I don't think anyone who owns car uses the 75. I don't think many people look at the journey planner either over the regular timetable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,873 ✭✭✭Alkers

Stephen15 wrote:
    I don't think anyone who owns car uses the 75. I don't think many people look at the journey planner either over the regular timetable.

Come off it, the website should be clear for everyone to understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Is that the Dublin Bus website? Looks like it. You should try hittheroad.ie it's about a million times more user friendly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

ED E wrote: »
    User:
    Wants to get to Sandyford
    Looks up the 75
    View on Map - Great it leaves you right at Aldi. Perfect.

FBbRiP0.png

Except, it doesn't. Those two stops are used for a small number of V services that operate during a short early morning window. No reference to this on the map. If they listed it as 75v with its own entry fine, but its shoehorned into the main 75 listing. The map is misleading.

WrxEIeO.png

Not sure how a visitor to the city is meant to navigate the system when its awkward as all hell even for locals. Just me or is this idiotic?

100% idiotic and fairly representative of the website as whole. Bloody desperate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is that the Dublin Bus website? Looks like it. You should try hittheroad.ie it's about a million times more user friendly.

Not something a visitor would know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,991 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It's quite likely. Someone visiting Ireland for work, going to a company based in Sandyford and decides to stay in Dun Laoghaire because it's more scenic and has a pubic transport connection to Sandyford.

An hour and a half and no-one has made a pubic transport joke? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,521 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It's quite possible that the piece of software that Dublin Bus has can't deal with route variations. In other places, route variations are normally given different route numbers.

The Dublin Bus maps and timetables are stuck in the 1970s. They see their job as driving buses, not running a bus service.

Put your exact locations and relevant dates and times into www.a-b.ie and tweak the settings. Make sure you have selected "Maximum walking time" as "20 min" or similar.

Dublin Bus doesn't even know where its own bus stops are, especially if the stops were relocated after roadworks - some of those roadworks dating back 10 or more years.

451973.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The other thing that's really annoying about the maps on the DB website is the placement of the pin markers. When the map is zoomed out, it's the blue head of the pin that's rather counter intuitively closest to the actual position of the stop. Only when you zoom in to the maximum zoom level does the tip of the pin converge to the position.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Also Google Maps is excellent for casual use and Moovit is amazing for power user use.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Really anything but minor deviations should have a different number in my book, the idea of having several deviations all with the same number and no suffix can be pretty confusing

I always found the maps here better myself:
    http://www.a-b.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=rop

You have the added bonus of being able to click a stop to see real time information on when the buses will arrive and it only shows the buses that serve that stop, although you still have the issue with pins showing up that are not served by every bus, but if you click them it doesn't show departures that don't stop there.

devnull wrote: »
    I always found the maps here better myself:
    http://www.a-b.ie/nta/XSLT_SELTT_REQUEST?itdLPxx_page=rop

Unfortunately, that is currently only showing routes in one direction and the search function is temperamental. Being dependent on operators, some routes are missing, e.g. Dublin Bus route 90. It also combines all route variations.

www.rtpi.ie is another option, but does 'as the crow flies' without showing actual route taken.

http://www.a-b.ie/
    451995.png

www.rtpi.ie
    451996.png

http://www.dublinbus.ie/
    451997.png

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Victor wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that is currently only showing routes in one direction and the search function is temperamental. Being dependent on operators, some routes are missing, e.g. Dublin Bus route 90. It also combines all route variations.

Yeah - it still suffers from showing all route variations on the map, but if you click the stop it only shows services that actually stop there, which is far from perfect.

Does it not change the stops if you select inbound or outbound? It always used to and did the last time I checked.

devnull wrote: »
    It always used to and did the last time I checked.
    Not for the last month or more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,741 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It's quite likely. Someone visiting Ireland for work, going to a company based in Sandyford and decides to stay in Dun Laoghaire because it's more scenic and has a public transport connection to Sandyford.
    If you are here on work you’ll be expensing a taxi or car hire

The 185 probably has the most riddiculous timetable in the country. Look at the amount of variations it has more journeys take a variation rather than use than take the "normal route" from Bray to Enniskerry or "Shop River" as the terminus is called officially. Look at the state of this timetable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,170 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Didnt know DB had a route to Italy, does the €2.80 fare cover that too?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Didnt know DB had a route to Italy, does the €2.80 fare cover that too?

It does but that part of Italy looks a bit like a council estate in the arse end of Bray

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,492 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Stephen15 wrote: »
    The 185 probably has the most riddiculous timetable in the country. Look at the amount of variations it has more journeys take a variation rather than use than take the "normal route" from Bray to Enniskerry or "Shop River" as the terminus is called officially. Look at the state of this timetable
    Agree about the crazy timetable, but Shop River is some way outside Enniskerry, closer to the next village, Curtlestown, than Enniskerry itself. BTW, it's a real place, so no need for the quotes, it used to house workers from the nearby Powerscourt Estate.

There's also a stop in the centre of Enniskerry itself in the village square.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Alun wrote: »
    Agree about the crazy timetable, but Shop River is some way outside Enniskerry, closer to the next village, Curtlestown, than Enniskerry itself. BTW, it's a real place, so no need for the quotes, it used to house workers from the nearby Powerscourt Estate.

There's also a stop in the centre of Enniskerry itself in the village square.

Jeez, Curtlestown is hardly a townland, let alone a village

Advertisement