Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Qualifications for Army cadet?

Options
  • 27-05-2018 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

If I enlist as a recruit can I apply for the cadet competition in a couple of years time? And will I need to match the same qualifications as I need to join up direct as a cadet, or are there different rules if your already in the army? I'm thinking of what points I need for my leaving cert.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Playmobil wrote: »
    If I enlist as a recruit can I apply for the cadet competition in a couple of years time? And will I need to match the same qualifications as I need to join up direct as a cadet, or are there different rules if your already in the army? I'm thinking of what points I need for my leaving cert.

You can apply for the cadetship competition as an enlisted person. It'll be exactly the same requirements as for a civilian applying and you'll go through the same process with the exception that you'll attend your interview in uniform and receive the bonus points for your service at the interview stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Playmobil

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Ducky00

Playmobil wrote: »

Yes you can. There isn't a set number of points you need, just passes or honours in certain subjects, it's on the Cadet part of the website. Also know that if you apply for cadets without a college degree first you will be commissioned as a 2nd LT and they'll send you to get a degree in whatever they need you for, I think you may get a choice but it's mainly in line with what they need but not too sure about that. You'll also have to pay back the college years in time i.e. 2 years extra service for every year in college.

Advertisement