Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to wexford

Options
  • 27-05-2018 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Anyone living in wexford i would love if you could give us some advice. We are hoping to move to Wexford and pay off our mortgage and get a bigger house. We would be moving with our 3 children (2 weeks old, 1 year old and 6 year old) so accessibilty to decent schools is important for us.
    Our budget is about 150k maybe up to 180k so not huge and we are looking for 3/4 bed house on at least half an acre (for our 3 large dogs).
    I am looming for nice areas to move to with a nice friendly community.

We have been looking at Duncormick, blackwater, curracloe, castlebridge. We would prefer to be closer to wexford town or Gorey rather then enniscorthy or Bunclody. We would like to be 20 minutes or less drive to either of those towns but not in them. Our reason for moving is for a more peaceful quieter life even though we are only in our early 30s but just want to be stress free and away from Dublin. We like the quiet life but accessibilty to a shop, petrol station and school is important and then nice people in the area and a short drive or even better walk to a nice beach.

We are moving from a rural part of west wicklow so we are used to not having too much around us other then a petrol station and school.

I seen alot of the houses have been for sale for over a year. Does anyone know what the normal would be for percentage to knock off the price advertised for these type of houses?

There are two houses i really like. One in Gibberwell, Duncormick and the other in Garrycullen, Saltmills. Which of these areas or any others do you think would suite best?

Thank you 😊

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,959 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Hi there, sorry I don't know Wexford well enough to comment.

But if you do not get many replies here, try re posting on the Accommodation and Property board. You might get a bit more traffic there.

Best of luck in your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Garycullen is 24Km to Waterford City via the Ballyhack - Passage East car ferry, Wexford town is 29Km.

There's a New Ross Bypass bridge being built, due for opening in 2019 which will cut driving times to Waterford, Kilkenny & the motorway to Dublin, for when the car ferry doesn't operate at nighttime.

House prices usually increase nearer the coast. You need to spend some time visiting any area, before making such an important move. Try the tourist drive routes, Bannow Drive & Hook Drive.

https://hookpeninsula.com/things-to-do/coastal-drive/

• Registered Users Posts: 22 crystal5206

Garycullen is 24Km to Waterford City via the Ballyhack - Passage East car ferry, Wexford town is 29Km.

There's a New Ross Bypass bridge being built, due for opening in 2019 which will cut driving times to Waterford, Kilkenny & the motorway to Dublin, for when the car ferry doesn't operate at nighttime.

House prices usually increase nearer the coast. You need to spend some time visiting any area, before making such an important move. Try the tourist drive routes, Bannow Drive & Hook Drive.

https://hookpeninsula.com/things-to-do/coastal-drive/

Thank you. We went for a little drive around on Saturday to see a few places. We were in Castlebridge and curracloe and we did notice the road from Castlebridge into curracloe was getting work done too. Looks like they are making it wider or is this all linked to the New Ross bypass?

It would be great if commute times were shorter to Dublin with that new road. We are hoping to not have to go to Dublin very often and just find work in Wexford instead bit our family are in Dublin and Wicklow so it would help that it would be more accessible. I wonder how much time they think it should cut the drive by?

Do you know Garrycullen and what the area is like? Its hard to tell from just driving down or viewing a house what the people in the area are like and what kind of community is in the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Thank you. We went for a little drive around on Saturday to see a few places. We were in Castlebridge and curracloe and we did notice the road from Castlebridge into curracloe was getting work done too. Looks like they are making it wider or is this all linked to the New Ross bypass?

It would be great if commute times were shorter to Dublin with that new road. We are hoping to not have to go to Dublin very often and just find work in Wexford instead bit our family are in Dublin and Wicklow so it would help that it would be more accessible. I wonder how much time they think it should cut the drive by?

Do you know Garrycullen and what the area is like? Its hard to tell from just driving down or viewing a house what the people in the area are like and what kind of community is in the area.

There's access to 2 Dublin motorways from County Wexford, M9 via Waterford / Kilkenny to west Dublin, M11 / N11 via North Wexford / Wicklow to South Dublin. The New Ross bypass makes the M9 & Waterford City easier to get to from 2019.

I've relatives around Ramsgrange & the Grandfather was born in Saltmills, not far from Garrycullen.

Locating where to live depends on your various options, many in SW Wexford work in Waterford City, using the Ballyhack - Passage East car ferry. I suspect the NR bypass bridge will enable many to travel further with better road connections such as Kilkenny & other destinations close to the M9.

I would also look further eastwards along the coast, such as Kilmore, Duncormick areas which are closer to Wexford Town.

The NR bypass is going over the river Barrow north of the county WX & KK names beside each other. That makes the M9 motorway easy to get to from 2019.

Map below.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2718161,-6.7983201,11z

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭gmurphy70

GaryCullen would be a decent rural area,I grew up close to there. Wellington bridge a short drive , maybe less than 10 mins where you have a huge Super valu and Hardware, practically all you need without visiting Wexford town. Bannow close to beaches would also a lovely place to live, Schools in Village of Carrig on Bannow 5 mins away with Wellingtonbridge the same. House prices haven't taken much of a jump since the downturn and there is really good value about. Definitely more laid back than and quieter than North Wexford. Duncormick, Ramsgrange, Foulksmills and Ballycullane all in this area also, all good value

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

gmurphy70 wrote: »
    GaryCullen would be a decent rural area,I grew up close to there. Wellington bridge a short drive , maybe less than 10 mins where you have a huge Super valu and Hardware, practically all you need without visiting Wexford town. Bannow close to beaches would also a lovely place to live, Schools in Village of Carrig on Bannow 5 mins away with Wellingtonbridge the same. House prices haven't taken much of a jump since the downturn and there is really good value about. Definitely more laid back than and quieter than North Wexford. Duncormick, Ramsgrange, Foulksmills and Ballycullane all in this area also, all good value

+1

Prices in North Wexford are rising as people are being priced out of Dublin and Wicklow. Another thing is North Wexford is like a suburb of Dublin and in parts you'd be hard pressed to hear a local accent.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 3,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭St Senan

Another option to look at would be to the west of the county from Ballywilliam up as far as Bunclody. some lovely villages along that way and not too far from major towns and not to far to get onto the N80

gmurphy70 wrote: »

Its good to know what these areas are like frlm people that lived there. Wexford town is about 20-30 minutes from all these areas but hopefully we wouldnt have to travel in too often if theres shops, schools in the villages nearby. There is a house we really like just outside Garrycullen and one we really like just outside Duncormick so they are still two possibilties.

+1

Prices in North Wexford are rising as people are being priced out of Dublin and Wicklow. Another thing is North Wexford is like a suburb of Dublin and in parts you'd be hard pressed to hear a local accent.

Ye thats not what we want. We dont want to end up in an area where it feels just as stressful as dublin because it is filled with blow ins. It would be nice to be in a little easy going community that has nice friendly people but also people who accept people moving into the area. If we are moving further away from our family we will need to build relationships with people in the area and sometimes thats hard to do. At least ill have kids in the school and playschools to help get to know the locals but even still sometimes these areas can leave people out of their circles when they arnt originally from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

If you move to south Wexford you’ll be blow-ins for 3 generations, so forget about that aspect and just get on with it. Maybe you should think of renting in the area for a while. Depending on what you’re looking for, jobs aren’t exactly plentiful in the rural areas you’re considering moving to..

• Advertisement

spyderski wrote: »
    If you move to south Wexford you’ll be blow-ins for 3 generations, so forget about that aspect and just get on with it. Maybe you should think of renting in the area for a while. Depending on what you’re looking for, jobs aren’t exactly plentiful in the rural areas you’re considering moving to..

Ye well i know we will be. I know were not from the areas obviously but would like to be in an area where majority of the people are from Wexford and have that more relaxed pace of life then we do here in Wicklow/dublin areas. Thats our whole reason for moving is to have a more laid back way of life.
    At the moment we spend our lives traveling to work from Wicklow to Dublin in traffic just to keep the mortgage and bills paid and have nothing left at the end of the week. We are not fussy about work or what we do for work as we will have no mortgage if we move so would just like a job that will keep us going to pay the other bills and groceries. Hopefully we might actually have some sort of quality of life. So basically even though we are both qualified in certain areas of work well work doing whatever ...wether its in a shop or whatever once we dont have to spend hours in traffic every day like we do now and just to get away from the madness of Dublin in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭the kelt

Have you considered looking more towards central areas of Wexford?

For example the likes of oylegate and Bree areas?

Both have schools with good reputations and good communities with plenty going on, slap bang in the middle of the county, 20mins to Wexford town, less to enniscorthy and both areas will be serviced by access to the new motorway a few minutes away within the next year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

the kelt wrote: »
    Have you considered looking more towards central areas of Wexford?

For example the likes of oylegate and Bree areas?

Both have schools with good reputations and good communities with plenty going on, slap bang in the middle of the county, 20mins to Wexford town, less to enniscorthy and both areas will be serviced by access to the new motorway a few minutes away within the next year or so.

And a little less clannish than South Wexford. ;):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Cantona's Collars has a point, my parents bought a house in Oylegate when we moved here from abroad and my mum loved the village, only selling up in her latter years after 25 years. When I'm passing if I stop and go into the mini-supermarket the owner still knows me. The village has a school, GAA club, two pubs, takeaway chipper and filling station. Lovely back road walks too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

When we first moved to Wexford twenty years ago we moved to Duncormick and it was an unmitigated disaster. The people, while not unfriendly, are not really accepting of strangers and we were not included in any activities, indeed it often seemed that they went out of their way to exclude us. This became very depressing, particularly for my wife who is, by nature, very gregarious.
    We stuck it out for over two years before moving to the Gorey region which was like moving to a different world. Sure it may be full of Dubs but the Dubs, at least, are open and accepting, with no hang ups about where you come from or who your family are, we have made many good friends here within all sections of the community.
    In many cases the old adage, " be careful what you wish for" is very true. While you may fall in love with a picture postcard village and see it as an idyllic place to live, the reality is not always so. I would echo the earlier suggestion of renting for a while, six months at the very least, ideally more, before committing yourself and your family to what may become, a miserable chapter in your lives.
    Apologies if I'm putting a damper on your expectations but I'm just speaking from personal experience and genuinely hope you do find your dream place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭fitzparker

As other posters suggest. For the quiet live i woukd recommend renting. In these small town places Jobs are very hard to come by as most are family owned so unfortunately you will more than likely have to travel to the major ones for work anyway.

Rent for a bit and get a feel for the area, see if jobs are available because they won't be up on jobs.ie.

You could end up getting your picture perfect place but still not happy, if your mortgage free why not be happy in a place like gorey or enniscorthy and be a walk away from major shops. That you dont have to drive everywhere. Everyone else might be stressed but you won't and thats the important thing. And as a bonus north wexford houses are increasing again

Marhay70 wrote: »
    When we first moved to Wexford twenty years ago we moved to Duncormick and it was an unmitigated disaster. The people, while not unfriendly, are not really accepting of strangers and we were not included in any activities, indeed it often seemed that they went out of their way to exclude us. This became very depressing, particularly for my wife who is, by nature, very gregarious.
    We stuck it out for over two years before moving to the Gorey region which was like moving to a different world. Sure it may be full of Dubs but the Dubs, at least, are open and accepting, with no hang ups about where you come from or who your family are, we have made many good friends here within all sections of the community.
    In many cases the old adage, " be careful what you wish for" is very true. While you may fall in love with a picture postcard village and see it as an idyllic place to live, the reality is not always so. I would echo the earlier suggestion of renting for a while, six months at the very least, ideally more, before committing yourself and your family to what may become, a miserable chapter in your lives.
    Apologies if I'm putting a damper on your expectations but I'm just speaking from personal experience and genuinely hope you do find your dream place.

Thank you for being so honest. Duncormick is one of the areas we were looking at and i did wonder why there was so many houses for sale in that area. Wasnt sure how big of an area it is but it seems like everyones on the move from it for some reason. Maybe others have felt the same as you. I would definately want an area that will let us be a part of the community and let us have a chance to be accepted in before judging us. That sounds like hell and it happems so often and thats the part that makes me nervous because iv seen it happen in so many areas.

Thats exactly why i would like an area with a mostly locals but a little bit of a mix from other areas too so u still have that bond of the locals but thet become more accepting of "outsiders" Thanks again if nothing else uv probably knocked Duncormick off my list 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

Thank you for being so honest. Duncormick is one of the areas we were looking at and i did wonder why there was so many houses for sale in that area. Wasnt sure how big of an area it is but it seems like everyones on the move from it for some reason. Maybe others have felt the same as you. I would definately want an area that will let us be a part of the community and let us have a chance to be accepted in before judging us. That sounds like hell and it happems so often and thats the part that makes me nervous because iv seen it happen in so many areas.

Thats exactly why i would like an area with a mostly locals but a little bit of a mix from other areas too so u still have that bond of the locals but thet become more accepting of "outsiders" Thanks again if nothing else uv probably knocked Duncormick off my list ��

I'd say the reason there's so many houses for sale is more likely that they are 2nd homes only now creeping out of negative equity, and people are unloading debt while they can.

I'd second the suggestion of rent before you buy option or even a very extended Airbnb long stay at a discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Marhay70 wrote: »

In general the areas in the south of the county tend to have less "blow ins" as you call them. Mainly I presume because its further to commute to Dublin. Same with areas further from the coast and away from the major roads. I can only speak from living in a rural area close to Kilmuckridge but any houses for sale in the area are often bought by people moving from Dublin.

I grew up here and over the years it's changed from holiday homes to permanent residence with people seemingly wanting extra space for the dogs,kids etc. The new kids seem to get on fine in the local schools and are in the usual clubs,etc. Because this area has always had the influx of people during the summer, locals are fairly ambivalent about it and most people moving here spend their money in the local shop the same as everyone else.

There is very little work and a lot of it is low paid so I would definitely rent in an area before you buy. Most of the people moving here seem to commute as I do myself and even with the motorways this can be a grind unless you are travelling outside of the peak times.

There has definitely been a change in local people's attitude in the last few years with a lot of "not more Dubs" conversations, but I don't think it's impacted people's integration locally. For most local people it's "live and let live" but please don't mention you've just moved down to clear your mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭mrscloudatlas

I've lived in Courtown/Riverchapel all my life and have seen many, many changes. Overall the quality of life is very good. Made better with the support of family, friends and good neighbours, none of whom I take for granted. This area is a prime example of Irelands boom and bust. Once the dust settled however, a solid foundation emerged for a new community to grow. Holiday homes are slowly being bought up by commuters who generally take more of an interest in their community. Adults once suspicious of each other are now coming together for the common good. Kids play innocently and openly again as I did as a child. Unfortunately the bad press we unjustly get and continually get from our local newspaper mostly stems from fear of the unknown. They have no idea of the far reaching negative effects it has on our children, our elderly and on our new fragile community. Ironically as stated before, most criminal cases heard in the local courts actually reside in areas outside of this jurisdiction. OK rant over. In conclusion Courtown/Riverchapel truly is a wonderful place to live. So many amenities on your doorstep. Dynamic, ever changing, bursting with youth and optimism. Come with the right attitude and you'll soon find the good life. Sure you might even like it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Bailey25

Can anyone living or lived in Clohamon Wexford tell me if the smell of the slaney meats factory is bad and which side of the factory is best to live on... thanks

Can anyone living or lived in Clohamon tell me if the smell of the slaney meats factory is bad and which side of the factory is best to live on... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Hi there. It's been a good few years now since the smell from Clohamon has been an issue. I remember going to school in Bunclody back in the 1980s, and there were days when the stench all over the area was almost unbearable. But various changes over the years in what factories can and can't do mean that there's now nothing like that at all.

If your question about which side of the factory is best to live on relates to which side the smell isn't as bad at, well then, it's not an issue at all. If it relates to whether you'd be better off living towards Bunclody, or living towards Tombrack at one side or Marshalstown at the other, well that's a whole other kettle of fish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Hi there. It's been a good few years now since the smell from Clohamon has been an issue. I remember going to school in Bunclody back in the 1980s, and there were days when the stench all over the area was almost unbearable. But various changes over the years in what factories can and can't do mean that there's now nothing like that at all.

If your question about which side of the factory is best to live on relates to which side the smell isn't as bad at, well then, it's not an issue at all. If it relates to whether you'd be better off living towards Bunclody, or living towards Tombrack at one side or Marshalstown at the other, well that's a whole other kettle of fish!

I well remember the stink in the FCJ during school, especially on warm days!

Thanks so much for the reply really appreciate it. We are looking at a property very close to the factory so just worried there may but a smell especially during the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭coathanger

Bailey25 wrote: »
    Thanks so much for the reply really appreciate it. We are looking at a property very close to the factory so just worried there may but a smell especially during the summer.

I don’t live near there but had to visit the village during the summer & the smell was awful, I couldn’t believe it was even allowed tbh . I said it it to the person I was meeting there & she said you get used to it & that it’s not as bad as the pig farm there .... so if it were me I would pay s few more visits before committing to a house purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,486 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

^^^

Well, that's news to me. It's genuinely been a good few years since I got whiff of the place at all.

I have friends who live within about a mile of both the meat factory and pig farm. Can check with them about whether or not the smell is still ever a problem.

Advertisement