Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

There's A Large Online Petition Calling On Sen Mullen To Resign

• 27-05-2018 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Folks, there is a large online petition calling on Senator Ronan Mullen to resign from our parliament -

https://www.change.org/p/seanad-eire...seanad-eireann

It has almost 23,000 signatures at the moment!

While it is more directly related to his performance during the repeal debate, where he was an active NO to removing the article equating a woman's life in value terms to a foetus, he was also a zealous supporter of the new law which has caused so many problems for sex workers, at least he is very consistent in his believes!

I have signed it!

Thank You C15

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Nice to see we're just pressuring on someone to resign cos he doesn't agree with the majority opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

Connacht15 wrote: »
    Folks, there is a large online petition calling on Senator Ronan Mullen to resign from our parliament -

While it is more directly related to his performance during the repeal debate, where he was an active NO to removing the article equating a woman's life in value terms to a foetus, he was also a zealous supporter of the new law which has caused so many problems for sex workers, at least he is very consistent in his believes!

I have signed it!

Thank You C15

Pathetic!

Is there going to be a petition for everyone whos views do not match your own?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭7aubzxk43m2sni

titan18 wrote: »
    Nice to see we're just pressuring on someone to resign cos he doesn't agree with the majority opinion

To be fair the petition is based on his dismissal of mental health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

That part is fine, but chances are this wouldn't even have happened if it wasn't for the voting on No stuff. He's clearly an idiot, but if we didn't allow idiots in government, there'd be no one left.

Should have just abolished the Seanad when we had the chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,760 ✭✭✭DeadHand

Our society is taking a worrying turn for the totalitarian. There’s also a thread on AH calling for the Iona Institute to be liquidated.

It’s no longer enough to disagree with people or establishments who row against the prevailing dogma- they must be silenced and removed.

I don’t agree on much with Mullen or Iona, but the venomous, censorious reaction to them and anyone else even resembling a conservative is far more worrying than any influence they may bring to bear.

Ignore, vote against or debate them like a democrat. Don’t report or attack them like a Stalinist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Connacht15

titan18 wrote: »

Should have just abolished the Seanad when we had the chance.

Yes, we should have!

DeadHand wrote: »
    Our society is taking a worrying turn for the totalitarian. There’s also a thread on AH calling for the Iona Institute to be liquidated.

It’s no longer enough to disagree with people or establishments who row against the prevailing dogma- they must be silenced and removed.

I don’t agree on much with Mullen or Iona, but the venomous, censorious reaction to them and anyone else even resembling a conservative is far more worrying than any influence they may bring to bear.

Ignore or debate them like a democrat. Don’t report or attack them like a Stalinist.

For sure there is an issue where someone who does not agree with the status quo can be silenced or shamed into silence, and calls for things like the Iona Institute to be disbanded are clearly ridiculous.

I think there is more of a discussion to be had in this case though. While I agree that lots of signatories of this petition will be in the "liberal bandwagon" or however one might label it, there is still clearly an issue when a public representative is so dismissive of mental health issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Too many gobsh1tes setting up and signing online petitions.

For sure there is an issue where someone who there is still clearly an issue when a public representative is so dismissive of mental health issues.

While we’re removing senators for dubious views, should David Norris be similarly purged for stating “there’s something to be said for” pedophilia?

No petition there, of course, he’s in the correct camp.

While we’re removing senators for dubious views, should David Norris be similarly torn down for stating “there’s something to be said for” pedophilia?

No petition there, of course, he’s in the correct camp.

Definitely. Have you got a link for more information about that?

• Advertisement

Definitely. Have you got a link for more information about that?

Apologies, I’m unable to.

Simply google “David Norris pedophilia”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Ignore, vote against or debate them like a democrat. Don’t report or attack them like a Stalinist.

Actually most people dont want them gone because theyre of a different opinion. Having an opinion is fine. The problem that some have with these organisations is that they cant back up their said opinions with credible facts and when they cant they resort to ignorant bullshít, distortion of facts or outright lies to try and win their arguments. At that point they ARE a threat to democracy in that sense as they're the kind of people that results in large enough sections of electorate's voting for choices based on faulty information and we end up with the crapfests of President Troll and the ignorant republicans who back him as well as the fiasco that's Brexit.

Fact is if they resort to outright lies, deception and manipulation then they SHOULD be shutdown or censored because they cant back up their arguments and that kind of behavior is damaging to society. The 8th was a result of this and its only now that this cancerous and damaging text has finally been purged from the constitution because enough people looked into this and realized what it was and what it was intended for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Might as well set up petitions for all the fianna fail TD's who voted no as well.

This is a democracy. People are allowed to have different opinions.

732 thousand votersagreed with Mullen and a lot of other members of parliament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Might as well set up petitions for all the fianna fail TD's who voted no as well.

This is a democracy. People are allowed to have different opinions.

732 thousand votersagreed with Mullen and a lot of other members of parliament.

It was a not-necessarily democratic landslide tats. Such a thing can be expected to have non-democratic momentum.

If you were a liberal wouldn't you wring that momentum for all it was worth?

Infini wrote: »
    Actually most people dont want them gone because theyre of a different opinion. Having an opinion is fine. The problem that some have with these organisations is that they cant back up their said opinions with credible facts and when they cant they resort to ignorant bullshít, distortion of facts or outright lies to try and win their arguments. At that point they ARE a threat to democracy in that sense as they're the kind of people that results in large enough sections of electorate's voting for choices based on faulty information and we end up with the crapfests of President Troll and the ignorant republicans who back him as well as the fiasco that's Brexit.

Fact is if they resort to outright lies, deception and manipulation then they SHOULD be shutdown or censored because they cant back up their arguments and that kind of behavior is damaging to society. The 8th was a result of this and its only now that this cancerous and damaging text has finally been purged from the constitution because enough people looked into this and realized what it was and what it was intended for.

What was that saying about first they burn books, then they burn people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭padohaodha

Ridiculous totalitarian nonsense

What was that saying about first they burn books, then they burn people?

Actually noone's suggesting throwing people in the gulag, just that those who outright lie shouldn't be given airtime or allowed to spread misinformation and lies on the media because they cant back up their opinions with FACTS.

Ignorant stupidity is the biggest problem this planet will ever have and while we cant stop people from stupid shít, at the very least when it comes to elections and referendums there should be enough standards to allow those who put up posters and billboards to be allowed to do so when they're using facts and not allowed to publish lies and bullshít as if they were.

Actually noone's suggesting throwing people in the gulag, just that those who outright lie shouldn't be given airtime or allowed to spread misinformation and lies on the media because they cant back up their opinions with FACTS.

Ignorant stupidity is the biggest problem this planet will ever have and while we cant stop people from stupid shít, at the very least when it comes to elections and referendums there should be enough standards to allow those who put up posters and billboards to be allowed to do so when they're using facts and not allowed to publish lies and bullshít as if they were.

Look at the title of the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,824 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

One of the Healy Raes doesn't believe in global warming but believes in 'God'. I don't think he can produce 'facts' on this blokes existence. Should he be next?

I say leave them there if they're elected. Bertie, Lowry and Harney have done more damage.

Its a fact that the idea of a citizens assembly was the brainchild of a pro-choice senator.

Its a fact that deciding on how referenda ought to be carried out appears as a task for such Assemblies. But that dealing with 8th was put first on the list of projects to tackle. Cart before the horse.

Its a fact that the above C.A. was the key driver in determing both the nature of the referendum wording and the nature of the proposed legislation

Its a fact that 100 people isnt representative of the citizenery.

Ought we kick the clowns responsible for this sham out too

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

The text of the petition isn't too objectionable.
    On the 24th May 2018, during a live TV debate on the Referendum on Article 40.3.3 of the Irish Constitution, Senator Ronan Mullen stated - "Mental Health has no evidence base".

The purpose of this petition is to hold Mr Mullen accountable for breach in Code of Conduct for Members of Seanad Eireann in relation to Section 1, 2 & 3(i) which can be seen here

http://www.sipo.ie/en/Codes-of-Conduct/Senators/Code-of-Conduct-for-Seanad-%C3%89ireann.html

The preamble to the Code of Conduct for members is thus:

"The Members of Seanad Éireann other than office holders (referred to hereafter as "Members" ) recognise that it is in their individual and collective interest to foster and sustain public confidence and trust in their integrity as individuals and in Seanad Éireann as an institution. To this end, Members should at all times be guided by the public good and ensure that their actions and decisions are taken in the best interests of the public."

Negative discourse and stigma relating to poor mental health has long been a staple of Irish society. I, like thousands of others in Ireland suffer from mental health issues. The problem faced in our country is growing exponentially however huge efforts have been made by many elected members of State, Mental Health Bodies & Public Figures to address this and normalise the conversation.

Ronan Mullen's statement to a highly engaged National audience served to jeopardise this great work and undermine the seriousness of the issue at hand affecting a huge, wide ranging demographic in Ireland today

It states on Mr Mullen's website - "Rónán is a politician who stands up for the voiceless and vulnerable in our society. He is a man of principle who places honesty and integrity at the heart of his work." - His comments contradict this.

It also states on Mr Mullen's website - "I believe our communities and country have been let down by the dishonesty and a ruthless culture of spin in politics". - His comments contradict this.

Mr Mullen is an elected official representing NUI Graduates and also sits on two Boards relating to Secondary Schools and Dublin Inner City Community.

Having worked closely myself with Graduates and also the people of Dublin 1, I've witnessed, first hand, the affects of mental health difficulties on the exact people Mr Mullen was appointed to represent.

Therefore, I strongly believe that Ronan Mullen no longer warrants a Mandate for Public Office based on the degradation of the Mental Health epidemic, has breached the Code of Conduct and should resign from Senate with immediate effect.

Well,Leo should go for his "bank of Mam and Dad" comments so for his degradation of people in financial precariousness.Populist bull****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

No Silly memes please.

The 8th was a result of this and its only now that this cancerous and damaging text has finally been purged from the constitution because enough people looked into this and realized what it was and what it was intended for.

I can’t decipher your noise and fury about (what I assume is) Trump and Brexit beyond gathering you seem to have a disdain for democracy when it refuses to produce results you personally approve of.

To address the more lucid paragraph quoted above, it seems harsh to blame Mullen and the Iona Institute for the 8th, since that amendment was in place long before the conception of either.

If your point is more general, can you explain how the now discarded eighth amendment was originally a product of “outright lies, deception and manipulation” as opposed to a reflection of what was then the will of a fledgling nation?

If not, is it time for you to be “shutdown and censored” for failing to achieve your own standards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

Is there a video of what he actually said, in context?

woejus wrote: »
    Silly Meme Removed

I enjoy the meme but it reminds me that the vast majority of pro-life people I saw going door to door were women, though, perhaps crucially, most were beyond childbearing age.

I didn’t see the referendum as a gender battle in any way, many of the most prominent people on the No side were women, many the most prominent people on the Yes side were men.

I think it was 65% of men compared to 70% of women that voted Yes so there’s no dramatic chasm there.

I’d class the referendum more as society as a whole proceeding in a certain direction rather than some coup for Irish women.

Connacht15 wrote: »

I have signed it!

Thank You C15

Nuremberg! Nuremburg!

(Oop's Godwin)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Is there a video of what he actually said, in context?

https://twitter.com/NaomiOhReally/status/999440104644136961

also lol

• Advertisement

Nuremberg! Nuremburg!

(Oop's Godwin)

“We won, now let us purge the defeated from public life”

How liberal.

“We won, now let us purge the defeated from public life”

How liberal.

DeNDoVvXUAIDmYU.jpg

“Asked if he would acknowledge the will of the Irish people, he replied “Absolutely not””.

How fascist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

the same gob****es would sign an online petition for the abolition of the catholic church and then worry they wouldn't be able to have the first communion ' event ' they planned. Populist Morons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I don't like Ronan Mullen and what he said about mental health during the campaign was particularly bad.However,he at least has to face a portion of the electorate in the next election,unlike most of the Seanad,it would seem more reasonable for his seat to be a target in the next election rather than starting a petition.

woejus wrote: »

no, i mean the mental health thing,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭fawlty682

He gets too much airplay for a Senator. His ideas are archaic. Accusing women of being murdering baby killers. Good riddance

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

Has any irish politician ever stepped down due to public pressure? I can't remember anyone doing it.

gctest50 wrote: »

in context?

I'm trying to find out was he referring to the grounds under which 97% of abortions are carried out in Britain, or was it a comment on mental health in general

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

In all honesty they were proven wrong in the end and they got ridiculed for it. To clarify my initial post was actually directed not at the idiot the OP pointed out who was voicing a stupid opinion as you will get people like that sometimes but more at the Iona institute, organisations like that which actively puts out misinformation and lies and who are generally more of a problem who should not be given any time for not putting out credible information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,239 ✭✭✭Jimbob1977

We're getting closer to 'public show trials' from the era of Saddam Hussein or Senator McCarthy.

Conducted via Twitter and Facebook.

• Advertisement

Jimbob1977 wrote: »
    We're getting closer to 'public show trials' from the era of Saddam Hussein or Senator McCarthy.

Conducted via Twitter and Facebook.

I'd hardly even call it a showtrial though I will agree twatter and failbook are the cancerous salt of the earth these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Apologies, I’m unable to.

Simply google “David Norris pedophilia”.

Pederasty, actually, my dear man.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭nlrkjos

fawlty682 wrote: »
    He gets too much airplay for a Senator. His ideas are archaic. Accusing women of being murdering baby killers. Good riddance

Most of them do....Bacik more than most, rejected by the electorate twice but still gets airtime with her PC bull, the Queen of the eternally offended.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,693 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

In fairness if you want to go on TV and air the less popular opinion and then spurt ludicrous claims then you are fair game for being lambasted and Mullen excels at making a fool of himself (refer the newspaper screenshot above for proof)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭alias no.9

I've no recollection of the original 8th amendment referendum, but apparently the 'politicians can't be trusted' line that got trotted out late in this campaign was core to a lot of the campaigning. That got me thinking as to whether that message back then drove something into the collective psyche that led to very low expectations from politicians in general, god knows there was a generation of politicians who delivered on this in spades.

It's time to expect more and hold your politicians to account, the place to do that is at the ballot box. Anybody who signs this petition who is an NUI graduate but did not vote or did not even register to vote in the Seanad Elections needs to have a good long think about how this guy got elected in the first place if he's so far out of touch. Online petitions won't change things, exercising your right to vote might.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,842 ✭✭✭Allinall

Has anyone asked the people who elected Mullen to the Seanad what they think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

You may despise his views but this is still a democracy and he's entitled to hold them even if most people disagree with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,548 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Allinall wrote: »
    Has anyone asked the people who elected Mullen to the Seanad what they think?

A rotten process, totally loaded against any degree (sic) of fairness.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Mutant z wrote: »
    You may despise his views but this is still a democracy and he's entitled to hold them even if most people disagree with them.

Or an official who violated a code of conduct he signed up to..? The petition itself puts forward quite a good argument

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,361 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Esel wrote: »
    A rotten process, totally loaded against any degree (sic) of fairness.

Indeed. In the past I declined to use my Seanad vote on that principle. Problem is, that gives us the likes of that cnut sitting in pseudo-office, high on his own supply. I'll set my principles aside next time!

To compound the ridiculousness of the Seanad election system, as a graduate of two NUI colleges, and of Trinity, I also receive a vote for the University of Dublin Panel. Although I'm more at ease with the Trinity Senators...

• Advertisement
Advertisement