Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Emergency Medical technician & Paramedic

• 27-05-2018 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all,

I am currently in my 30s and I am interested in changing careers. I would like to work as a paramedic and after researching this career, as far as I can see you can only become a paramedic in Ireland through the national ambulance service.

Over the next while- I will be working to get the relevant driving licenses. And I would like to gain as much experience as possible.

I also am aware there is a difference between a paramedic and an EMT.

I am wondering, in the event that I cannot get into the paramedic course,should I also do an EMT course? I cannot see if there are many jobs available in this area. I know the hse from time to time recruit for ICO’s.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,799 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Hi & welcome to boards.

I've moved your thread from East to a more suitable forum where you'll be more likely to get a good response.

tHB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Bang Bang

You can train to be a career Paramedic though the National Ambulance Service, Dublin Fire Brigade and the Irish Defence Forces.

To gain experience I would recommend you get in touch with one of your local volunteer services, Order of Malta or Civil Defence to give two examples.

Regarding doing an EMT course, that really depends on your budget and if the ICV service interests you, some private ambulance companies may also offer employment to EMT's.

The best of luck for the future.

Advertisement