Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bloom

Options
  • 27-05-2018 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭

Im planning on heading to Bloom this year. Its been on the to-do list for the last few years but never got to go, so this year i am.

any advice/recommendations? Is there anything in particular thats worth making the effort to go see? what are the carparks like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

went today 11am, car parks are grand, no queues etc. It's ok, shop around as the same flowers/deals can be had for cheaper. It was our first time going and personally we won't be back. food is way too expensive, water 2 - 2.50 for a small bottle. Plants are expensive. However the big thing is they have lots of helpers most of whom must of just started school holidays and didn't have a clue. Organisers office also contain such kids, bit of a joke. It's an ok day out but that's it for me. enjoy though :)

edit

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

The Bloom website is very poor. Can't seem to locate section for winners medals. And when I do come across something it relates to last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Ya, the website is atrocious.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Oops69

I Get the feeling Bloom is wilting , seems to have turned into a 'rip you off for so so- called artisan food type of gig'.

• Advertisement

* that was the green car park, bit of traffic for red. Green is better and you can head in the back entrance which is beside kids activities area (should you have kids). Personally i thought this thing was 1 big shop, scout sround as there are free bites to eat etc but you'll still want a meal at some stage. Show gardens are nice but it comes across in a strange way as they are an after thought somewhat squeezed in the corner. I guess it's good to go once

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭sullivk

My husband and I went a couple of years ago and we decided the only way we'd go again is if we got free tickets. They're not cheap!
    And looking at their list of exhibitors, a large proportion are random filler stalls with Tupperware/candles etc.
    I went to Johnstown instead and bought plenty for the garden ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 31,072 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I went a couple of years ago with the kids (aged maybe 8 ish) and had a good day out, although it was heaving around the main display areas.

That's what it is, a day out. Took a few pics, picked up some flyers, ate some food out of a van.

I find the garden designs a bit architectural TBH, but I guess that's what many people want from their garden - an extension of their house.

At least it's outside. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭chewed

Whoever designed the Bloom website should be shot! It's awful and completely unintuititve!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭micks_address

Hi folks,
    I see kids up to 16 are free into bloom. I have two adult tickets so if we turn up with the kids they get in no hassle? Or do we need to pay Ticketmaster for two free kids tickets?
    Thanks,
    Mick

• Advertisement

Hi folks,
    I see kids up to 16 are free into bloom. I have two adult tickets so if we turn up with the kids they get in no hassle? Or do we need to pay Ticketmaster for two free kids tickets?
    Thanks,
    Mick
    Phoned bloom and kids don't need tickets so grand. Trying to decide whether to go Sunday or Monday. We went the Monday last year and was grand. Think went in around 11.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

Oops69 wrote: »
    I Get the feeling Bloom is wilting , seems to have turned into a 'rip you off for so so- called artisan food type of gig'.

Was it ever anything else? Given that it's run by bord bia I can understand the focus on Irish food. The gardening aspect really does seem like an excuse to have an event or an afterthought though - a lot of shows/fairs get like that after a while.

It's a grand day out though as long as you know what to expect. If I was planning on picking up some fancy gardening tools the ploughing championships would be a better event to attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Anyone know of anywhere doing deals on tickets? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭dosebier

Went for the first time this weekend - it will be my last.
    €20 per ticket and €5 to park the car - didnt seem like great value to me.
    I think someone else eluded to it being mostly market stalls and people flogging stuff with a few gardens stuffed in the corner.
    Some of the dutch bulb sellers were pushy and just wanted the quick sale.
    Thank god i went to Lidl first and bought bottles of water and sambos that only cost around a euro.
    The "show" gardens were a let down and and jammed so you were jostling to get a proper look in.
    Anyway lesson learnt, never again.
    would rather go to Johnstown or kilquade garden centre and a nice lunch at leisure.

dosebier wrote: »
    I think someone else eluded to it being mostly market stalls and people flogging stuff with a few gardens stuffed in the corner.
    Thank god i went to Lidl first and bought bottles of water and sambos that only cost around a euro.
    The "show" gardens were a let down and and jammed so you were jostling to get a proper look in.
    would rather go to Johnstown or kilquade garden centre and a nice lunch at leisure.

Yeah it's our third time. Got tickets cheap on adverts and the kids free. Still spent fair bit on food and crap.. Bought some candles and the infamous soft shower head.. Ah it's grand but very crowded and the tents are warm.. Some nice but expensive things to look at

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Drifter50

dosebier wrote: »

I paid €22 per ticket and the charge off the Ticketmaster site took them up to €25 each plus €5 to park the car. So €55 before we got through the gate. Never been before and won`t be again. Of the 36 areas, only 2 are designated horticulture and 3 others as outdoor sales. I was disappointed, if I want to spend the days in amongst burger vans and cockney accents selling the kitchen appliance you must have, I would have done something else with my cash like go to Johnstown /Kilquade / Powerscourt etc.

Feels to me like Bord Bia have lost sight of what Bloom should be

Drifter50 wrote: »
    I paid €22 per ticket and the charge off the Ticketmaster site took them up to €25 each plus €5 to park the car. So €55 before we got through the gate. Never been before and won`t be again. Of the 36 areas, only 2 are designated horticulture and 3 others as outdoor sales. I was disappointed, if I want to spend the days in amongst burger vans and cockney accents selling the kitchen appliance you must have, I would have done something else with my cash like go to Johnstown /Kilquade / Powerscourt etc.

Feels to me like Bord Bia have lost sight of what Bloom should be

If they lost sight.. It's been same last three years.. Be giving it a miss next year. Doubt they miss us though cause was thronged

Advertisement