Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does an Irish person get British citizenship?

Options
  • 27-05-2018 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

I have been reading up about it online and I have been getting different answers. Some saying you have to be there 2 or 5 years. You see I would like to move to the UK after college and join the RAF but if I had to wait 5 years I would be really discouraged. Could anybody with experience in getting citizenship please let me know of the requirements. I have aunties and other family over there if that helps.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Jay262 wrote: »
    I have been reading up about it online and I have been getting different answers. Some saying you have to be there 2 or 5 years. You see I would like to move to the UK after college and join the RAF but if I had to wait 5 years I would be really discouraged. Could anybody with experience in getting citizenship please let me know of the requirements. I have aunties and other family over there if that helps.

Have you a British born granny or grandad

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jay262

splinter65 wrote: »
    Have you a British born granny or grandad

No but both my grannies lived and worked there for many many years

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

If you aren’t willing to wait five years to do your dream job do you really want to do it?

Plenty you can do in the mean time.

If you aren’t willing to wait five years to do your dream job do you really want to do it?

Plenty you can do in the mean time.

I'm not here for a life lesson just need some information

I'm not here for a life lesson just need some information

If you can’t get it by “descent” (granny or grandad) then you’ll have to do your time for “naturalization”.
    Your grannies could have worked there for 50 years but if they didn’t apply for citizenship through naturalization themselves then they wouldn’t be British citizens.
    I’d imagine it’s going to be harder to get naturalised after Brexit.

• Advertisement

Did you check out the eligibility for the RAF?
    Irish citizenship is acceptable!

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Why don't you ring the British embassy in Dublin? Lots of lads have gone off and joined the army, navy, RAF and UK police.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Why don't you ring the British embassy in Dublin? Lots of lads have gone off and joined the army, navy, RAF and UK police.

Answered by splinter above. Irish Nationals can apply.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Did you check out the eligibility for the RAF?
    Irish citizenship is acceptable!

https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/how-to-apply/eligibility-check

Thanks for the info unfortunately it says I need to be a resident for 5 years but I'll manage

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Go to college in the UK (assuming the time counts, it might not).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 dco_1987

To my knowledge, Irish citizens can join the British Military- definitely Sandhurst training academy for officer training and also the army.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

No idea why this is in Postgraduates.
    Moving to Military/Enlistment and Recruitment.
    Local charter applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Thanks for the info unfortunately it says I need to be a resident for 5 years but I'll manage
    It does suggest there's a degree of flexibility about this - if you don't mean the requirement as set out there you should "call us for further advice".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Again.
    Ring the embassy or else the Army/Forces recruiting office in Belfast. Before ye know it you wil have train tickets in your pocket and will be heading north for an interview and medical.

But it also says that if you haven’t been there 5 years then there will be further criteria to meet but you might still get it.
    Look, apply for the RAF and see what happens.

I will call them tomorrow. Cheers

Advertisement