Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying agricultural land with a view to getting planning permission and selling it on

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

Basically, the rules as they current stand is that no one is allowed build in an area which is zoned for agriculture. The only exception to this is the 'local need' clause. If this was removed then no one would be allowed build new houses in rural areas.

To the posters talking about the eco dream of buying a few acres and living self sufficiently. While this is a great idea in principle, in practice, you would just have everyone saying they want to do this and then getting permission. At least the local need rule is very hard to scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭victor8600

arctictree wrote: »
    To the posters talking about the eco dream of buying a few acres and living self sufficiently.

Those eco-dreamers can just buy a whole farm. Here is one for €330K, with 11 acres of land (enough to feed a family):
    453429.jpg
    http://www.daft.ie/meath/commercial-property-for-sale/agricultural-farm-land-for-sale/rodstown-road-allenstown-navan-meath-645026/

You would struggle to build a house and outbuildings needed for any farming activity for this price even if you got the land for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

arctictree wrote: »
    At least the local need rule is very hard to scam.

funny. Tell me another....

Usually a short 5 year bar on selling on, that's it.

You will be telling me next that the majority of these local needs housing contain active farmers........

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LadyLavery

Lumen wrote: »
    Yes, sort of. They're exemptions from the rules.

And while I don't agree with the exemptions (we don't need more farmers, so there's no need for more housing for farmers) you seem to be arguing on the basis of fairness that everyone should be allowed to build on whatever land they can acquire, which puts us back to a time of unregulated development. Is that want you want, for there to be no limits on development in rural areas?

If we did that in the current housing market and with the current reliance on the private sector to provide housing with government subsidized rents, what would happen is that all the poor people would inevitably get shunted to apartment blocks in the middle of nowhere.

I don't agree that that would happen. Also, I know it's appears to be an unpopular view, but I do think that the laws should be relaxed. It may be inefficient, but we are all different people with different requirements. One size doesn't fit all. I don't know what the solution is, but it's good that we're discussing it anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 LadyLavery

For some reason I'm unable to quote the post : "It seems impossible. If you're not a farmer, or the son or daughter of a farmer, you won't get planning permission. That's what I was told by the planning office this week. I don't get the logic of it. A son or daughter can build and then sell...?"

Just a side note on the above response,I'm a farmers daughter,was willed a half acre site as was my brother and both of us were refused planning on numerous occasions,to the point after many years of rejection/throwing good money after bad, we just stopped trying and bought houses (in estates) miles and miles and miles away.
    To the OP,you will have to really really do your homework in regards to zoning,if you haven't experienced it,the restrictions can be mind blowing,although they may have eased off in the the last few years.

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you and sorry you didn't get planning. Even though you fit the criteria, you still didn't get permission. I just don't get why it's so strict.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Im sorry youre offended that housing estates and bland apartments dont suit everyone.

Mad the way it suits the majority of the Western world..must be them lot that are wrong alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

LadyLavery wrote: »
    Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you and sorry you didn't get planning. Even though you fit the criteria, you still didn't get permission. I just don't get why it's so strict.

As a farmer that gave permission to allow houses built on our private road, I see the reason, dogs chasing my sheep, guards called for supposedly dirtying the road, and ESB poles out in my land where newbies wouldn't allow them in their hedge.
    What Have we got now,.. a developement in the middle of the country where every well is within 25 mtrs of a septic tank.
    I was in Scotland lately where every farm had only one or at the most two houses. lovely countryside

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

I see agricultural land being divided into approx. 0.5 acre sites, getting planning permission and being sold on all the time so it would seem to be a doable endeavor. Any constructive advice and personal experiences of such would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

:pac::pac::pac: Are we back in 1985.
    Where have you seen this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

I dont know why people dont this more. Often times it appears you can buy a few acres of land for the price of a site in the same area. Example below. Looks like a Nice area and town close by
    https://touch.daft.ie/roscommon/commercial-property-for-sale/agricultural-farm-land-for-sale/salmons-lane-ballyleague-roscommon-501601

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,990 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I dont know why people dont this more. Often times it appears you can buy a few acres of land for the price of a site in the same area. Example below. Looks like a Nice area and town close by
    https://touch.daft.ie/roscommon/commercial-property-for-sale/agricultural-farm-land-for-sale/salmons-lane-ballyleague-roscommon-501601

All you can do is farm that land, it's only of use to a farmer who lives close by. You won't get permission to build on it.

Del2005 wrote: »

All you can do is farm that land, it's only of use to a farmer who lives close by. You won't get permission to build on it.

Im not a planning expert but there seems to be a house beside it. I would think its very possible

• Registered Users Posts: 8,394 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Del2005 wrote: »

You could easily redevelop the house on it and rent out some of the land to a local farmer. You may even be better off converting the out buildings.

On the OPs query the basic answer is no and high risk.

I know a few people who bought land thinking the could get planning only to find out it was next to impossible. One had some scheme of living in a mobile home on the land for 2 years while "farming" the land to qualify for local need. The local farmer that originally wanted to buy the land intentionally made that not possible and reported them. They sold the land at a loss and it was to the farmer but he hid behind a friend so they wouldn't know.

Even extending an existing house can be problematic. Same people bought a small farm house and planned to quadruple the size and the architect kept telling them they would have no problems at all. The were refused and the architect was way off as the planners had been telling him all along that it was way too big but he never told his clients. The ended up being able to double the size only.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭qwerty ui op

The vast majority of houses build on .5 acre are either-
    within 15 mins drive of a decent size town
    or
    10 mins drive to a village/small town but this is somewhat compensated for by being only 30/40mins from dublin cork limerick or galway.

New builds are now so expensive that it's rare for people to go for that option outside this range. I know several sons and daughters of land owners who could get planning and free site but don't bother because they're not gonna pour 200k+ onto the ground in the ass end of nowhere.

Advertisement