Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My BOI Mastercard and ATM card were cancelled

Options
  • 27-05-2018 10:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭

On Saturday 26th May I left my wallet in Bookstation newsagents in Stillorgan S C and went to Tesco twenty yards away.  When paying at Tesco i discovered I did not have my wallet.  i returned to Bookstation, probably less than 15 minutes after I left there.  They returned the wallet to me without me giving my name or ID.  My photo ID was in the wallet.  They told me they had phoned Bank of Ireland.  Tonight I tried to use my credit card to buy a PC 27" monitor and my card was refused.  I phoned card services at about 17:45 and after questioning they said the card would be activated in five minutes.  Never trust a promiser.  I tried using it again.  Not working.  For 90 minutes I tried to get through to customers services but was queued endlessly.  Obviously they go home at 18:00.  At 21:30 I tried my ATM card at Merrion Road and it was retained by the machine "unauthorized usage".
    How can a shop assistant who is not the named person on a card cancel it.  A reasonable attitude would be to allow the card owner discover they had lost it, retrace their steps, and recover THEIR card.  At least allow them time to do this.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Phoned CUSTOMER CARD SERVICES this morning.
    [snipped]
    Got the usual "let me transfer to someone else becuse I am not interested" a few times.
    They are only following procedures.
    No explanation in the slightest why their 24/7 phone service would not answer the phone for 90 minutes yesterday evening.
    No explanation in the slightest why the person who lied to me at 18:00 yesterday that my credit card would be reactivated "in five minutes" did a runner and did nothing about reactivating my card.
    They record all phone calls.  Use the recording to find out who lied to me and take action against them.
    THEY ARE USELESS.
    UNLESS YOU ARE A MOBILE PHONE COMPANY THEN THEY PROVIDE A GREAT SERVICE TO THEM BY USING UP CUSTOMER CALL CREDIT AND DOING NOTHING.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

This post has been deleted.

Thanks.
    Do you "work" for card services?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭D3V!L

testicles wrote: »
    I'm curious as to why the OP is "the problem" ?   

Do you think telling a lie that they would reactivate my credit card in five minutes and then not doing that is fine.
    Do you think that their 24/7 phone hotline did not answer the phone for 90 minutes was ok?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi diomed,

Thanks for your post here on Boards.

We are sorry to hear about this.  

Please be assured our lost and stolen card team are avail 24/7 and we are sorry you experienced a delay when trying to contact the team.

When a card is lost or stolen as a precaution you must let us know immediately to ensure the card can no longer be used. As you are liable for all transactions on the card.    

Generally what would happen in this case we would cancel the cards straight away, when the card is reported as having been found (not in the cardholders possession) so that the card cannot be used fraudulently.  

When you spoke to our team did they advise that they were going to arrange for new cards to be sent to you?

Thanks,

Kareana

Your 24/7 team are not a 24/7 team.
    No phone answered for about 90 minutes.
    What I experienced is a massive waste of my phone credit.
    I also was told a lie by your 24/7 person - they said they would reactivate my card. They didn't.

This morning the card was reactivated when I phoned at 09:20.

You say I must immediately inform BOI if my credit card is lost!!!
    My wallet was lost, with about Euro 450 in it, and my cards.
    I knew it must either be in Bookstation or in Rock Jewellers, the two shops i had been in the the previous few minutes.
    The first thing I did was the logical thing. 
    I walked the 20 yards to Bookstation and asked them had they got my wallet.  they did.
    You think the first thing I should do is contact BOI.
    My phone was in my house half a mile away and I left the car at home.
    Thanks for your suggestion - but it is not sensible.

How was the card going to be used fraudulently in the 10/15 minutes that it was in the possession of the staff of Bookstation, Stillorgan?
    Who could use it while it was in their possession?
    I immediately returned but they had phoned BOI.

It was about 17:30 before I found out Bookstation / BOI had blocked my credit card.
    At 21:45 that night I found out they had also cancelled my ATM card when I tried to use it.
    I did not report the cards as stolen.
    Bookstation did.

The sensible thing in a shopping centre would be to allow the person to retrace their steps and recover the wallet.
    Do bookstation think customers only go to their newsagents, and then leave the shopping centre without trying to buy anything in any other shop?

The logic of the above post by Kareana baffles me
    i.e. the idea that a credit card in the possession of shop staff will be used fraudently and must immediately be cancelled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 453 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Kareana

Hi Diomed,

Thanks for your reply.

Once we are advised that the card is no longer with the customer we must cancel the card immediately as we have an obligation to protect your account.

We wouldn’t be aware of the circumstances surrounding the loss of a card. It would only take a few minutes for un-authorised transaction to take place on your account.

Thanks,

Kareana

Hi Diomed,

Thanks for your reply.  

Once we are advised that the card is no longer with the customer we must cancel the card immediately as we have an obligation to protect your account.

We wouldn’t be aware of the circumstances surrounding the loss of a card. It would only take a few minutes for un-authorised transaction to take place on your account.

Thanks,

Kareana
    The card was reported found.
    The card was not reported lost.

Try to keep up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭testicles

• Advertisement

testicles wrote: »
    diomed wrote: »
    The card was reported found.
    The card was not reported lost.

Try to keep up.

Yeah it was, Bookstation reported it lost.

Try to keep up, this is your card after all.
    That is not what the e-mail from Bookstation to me said, but you seem to know more than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Alison

Hi diomed

The card would have been reported lost by a third party, in your case Book Station, made a courtesy call to us to let us know.

We understand your frustration you may have relating to our procedure with a misplaced card even if it's only lost momentarily.

These procedures are in place to protect our customer, we appreciate the time taken to send us your views on this. We would like to apologise again for the phone delay and the recent conversation with our colleagues relating to activating your card.

We hope this has since been resolved for you.

Thanks
    Alison

I have an appointment with KBC on Thursday at 15:00

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Vinnie222

I say you will be a big lost to B of Ireland 😅

Vinnie222 wrote: »

I say you will be a big lost to B of Ireland 😅
    I was a customer for 44 years.
    Loss to them?  I won't lose any sleep.

They lied before and left me a bank holiday weekend without funds.

This week they told me they were reactivating my credit card in 5 minutes.  They didn't.
    I spent 90 minutes on the phone in their queues with no reply.
    When I phoned next morning they were back at work and reactivated the card.  It is a 24/7 service ???
    I got a phone call from customer services "I'm sorry you feel like that ...."

Advertisement