Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

grazing block SR

• 27-05-2018 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭

What's your stocking rate on the grazing block .
    That is grazing grass only .
    Others will buffer feed with zero graze or diet wagons .

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭simx

kerry cow wrote: »
    What's your stocking rate on the grazing block .
    That is grazing grass only .
    Others will buffer feed with zero graze or diet wagons .

3lu

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,395 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

2.3lu including crossing the road to rented land, 2.7lu on the home block. Likes of 3.5lu would be well doable in a good year, but you get so few of them anymore, 3lu max would be alot safer bet here moving forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭kerry cow

I am shocked at 3.4 per ha and have plenty grass from turn out till mid September then unless I get exceptional dry weather the grass disappears by mid October

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I would be up to 4 lu/hectare for all the grazing season .I know another man who would be over 6 l.u/hectare in serious mighty ground but he would have to walk cows over a mile on a main road when the going gets tight .Some years he would escape most of the year without the walking on road ground ,all mighty layouts ,no sparing fert and cows would be rotating every 15 days or so

cute geoge wrote:
    I would be up to 4 lu/hectare for all the grazing season .I know another man who would be over 6 l.u/hectare in serious mighty ground but he would have to walk cows over a mile on a main road when the going gets tight .Some years he would escape most of the year without the walking on road ground ,all mighty layouts ,no sparing fert and cows would be rotating every 15 days or so

4 l/u is a bit ott.
    It's not possible to stock that high unless your bucketing meal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭cute geoge

58 cows and 2 bulls on 40 map acres roughly 15 hectares of grazing .the drought did not effect me this time last year but i was feeding heavy plus bales due to fuk upped weather from mid sep on last year but with good price of milk i was still up!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,858 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Does it not matter on the type of cow too?

Anyway 2.8 here atm.

That's just being comfortable here with land taken out for silage available later on.
    Half the farm would be considered wet land.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Normally stocked at 3.8 to 4 for most of grazing season, most of the lads in the group would be as well, that would be in an average year from April to the end of August, maybe September depending on growth etc. I close up most awkward fields to graze for 2 cuts during those months and that ground extends rotation in spring and autumn then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

2.9 across whole farm atm .
    3.9 om grazing. That will reduce as lambs and calfs are sold and ewes weaned

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Does it matter what anyone else is stocked at,land type is everything.not all acres are the same.3.1 on grazing block but quiet low overall.maybe 2.3

• Advertisement

Some people over stock the grazing block just to milk x amount of cows .land type can have a effect but its swings and roundabouts if you get a wet summer or a dry summer will effect different regions .
    I find 3.4 units pushing me and to go to 4 it would mean more meal or bales .
    It is not most economical to milk off grass with no meal or bales from say 1st April to 1st October ?
    That what I try any how .
    Used to work on a place that stocked heavy and buffer fed with tmr maize .
    A lot of work that I will not apply to my new setup .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

kerry cow wrote: »
    Some people over stock the grazing block just to milk x amount of cows .land type can have a effect but its swings and roundabouts if you get a wet summer or a dry summer will effect different regions .
    I find 3.4 units pushing me and to go to 4 it would mean more meal or bales .
    It is not most economical to milk off grass with no meal or bales from say 1st April to 1st October ?
    That what I try any how .
    Used to work on a place that stocked heavy and buffer fed with tmr maize .
    A lot of work that I will not apply to my new setup .
    Its a bit like comparing profit monitors.one thing i learnt from disscussion group is every one has to work with what they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 307 ✭✭oxjkqg

stocking rate 4.7 at the minute here, under pressure, waiting for seeded ground to come back in will be back down to just over 4 then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,170 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Stocked at 4 here minimum from mid april to mid september.
    Most years we're up around 5 for most of the summer to keep up with the growth rates. Haven't had that surge I'd growth this year yet but I think it's happening ATM.

Advertisement