Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identify an old CIE wagon?

• 27-05-2018 11:01pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to get some background (and ideally a photo) on an old rail wagon, hopefully someone here can help. It's an enclosed wooden wagon / carriage with double doors on the side, marked with a "CIE" roundal and "16752". Has been used in my parents' garden for storage for 40 years, chassis and wheels are missing.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm trying to get some background (and ideally a photo) on an old rail wagon, hopefully someone here can help. It's an enclosed wooden wagon / carriage with double doors on the side, marked with a "CIE" roundal and "16752". Has been used in my parents' garden for storage for 40 years, chassis and wheels are missing.

Any ideas?

https://www.google.ie/search?q=cie+goods+wagon&client=opera&hs=6R7&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiLxraC_6bbAhXL2qQKHaK8DWAQsAQIMQ&biw=1366&bih=668

This image shows the two most common types of general purpose goods wagon used for everything from cement to sundries. Sliding doors one type and double doors on the other.

6938308092_00261f3425_b.jpg&key=d151af02a81ff1a7fe26a98476ce962b4710cc7e7805ab3eeb4a437721890b1f

The book below - the 1st edition - would give you specific numbering details relating to your wagon.

Locomotives-Rolling-Stock-of-Coras-Iompair-Eireann.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,250 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Any ideas?

This type of wagon was built by the GSR and nicknamed "plank wagon" due to its wooden construction. Originally Grey in colour. When CIE succeeded the GSR, these wagons were eventually painted brown, although I believe some still remained grey to the end. The photo below is probably what you are looking for.

imageproxy.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Grandeeod wrote: »
    This type of wagon was built by the GSR and nicknamed "plank wagon" due to its wooden construction. Originally Grey in colour. When CIE succeeded the GSR, these wagons were eventually painted brown, although I believe some still remained grey to the end. The photo below is probably what you are looking for.

imageproxy.jpg

16586 in the photo looks almost identical to my parents' one. It's still (very faded) grey, though it could just have been bleached by the sun. There is a metal plate underneath the doors with what must be "GSR".

Thanks everyone for the info, you're a mine of information. I'll try to get a photo of it next time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The GSR builders plates will be worth more than the wagon at this stage.

Advertisement