Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After-school in Athenry?

Options
  • 28-05-2018 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭

We have finally made the decision to buy in athenry and we are in the process of sorting out the right primary school for our kids. Our eldest starts school in 2019. My question is what parents do for after-school? We have checked with one crèche which does after-school and they charge 500 a month for breakfast, bringing the child to local school and after-school. Is this typical or are there other options? Help would be really appreciated as we are not from the area

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

detoxkid wrote: »
    We have finally made the decision to buy in athenry and we are in the process of sorting out the right primary school for our kids. Our eldest starts school in 2019. My question is what parents do for after-school? We have checked with one crèche which does after-school and they charge 500 a month for breakfast, bringing the child to local school and after-school. Is this typical or are there other options? Help would be really appreciated as we are not from the area

Hi, Not sure exactly where you will be living but the Primary School in Esker (about 6km west of Athenry) provides after-school.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Welcome to Athenry!

It might be worth looking for facebook groups for your estate (if you are in an estate) and asking if other parents there have recommendations. Otherwise google+email. 500 per month is probably an okay price compared to what I hear from family on the east coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

Gaelscoil Riada do an after school service up until 4:30 as far as I know (used to be about €4/5 per hour for one child as far as I can remember). We found it to be a great school with lots of good young teachers, we have had very positive experience of it, neither myself nor my OH would be fluent in Irish and this was not an issue while our daughter attended.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Ath trasna wrote: »
    Gaelscoil Riada do an after school service up until 4:30 as far as I know (used to be about €4/5 per hour for one child as far as I can remember). We found it to be a great school with lots of good young teachers, we have had very positive experience of it, neither myself nor my OH would be fluent in Irish and this was not an issue while our daughter attended.

Thanks a mill for this.. we are strongly considering sending the girls there and I was nervous about our own abilities with Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Ath trasna

I wouldn't let worries about your own Irish ability impact your decision, obviously the better your own Irish is the easier it is to help the kids out but there was nothing that we came across that a good English/Irish dictionary or Google translate couldn't sort out.
    The school is currently made up of portacabins but these are every bit as comfortable as a standard block built building as regards heat etc. New Primary/secondary Gaelscoil campus is planned in the grounds of the tech but before that happens the tech need to get their new school built. I believe the build for the new tech is due to be started this year so the new Gaelscoils are probably 3-4 years off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Agree with all the comments about GaelScoil Riada, have found it great so far, a good mix of families where both parents are Irish, only one is Irish, and neither is Irish, so don't worry about not speaking fluent Irish.

Advertisement