Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dear people of bus...

• 28-05-2018 8:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭

Please open the feckin windows! I don't want to smell you or your fellow passengers, I'd like some fresh air as opposed to pre-used, the people standing are in each other's armpits, please make it more comfortable for everyone and open the window over your head...

It baking hot this morning, the bus is at bursting point because of the inadequate service and there are only two windows open on the top deck... People are falling asleep due to the lack of oxygen, but won't actually think to open the window.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Please open the feckin windows! I don't want to smell you or your fellow passengers, I'd like some fresh air as opposed to pre used, the people standing are in each other's arms to, please make it more comfortable for everyone and open the window over your head...

It baking hot this morning, the bus is at bursting point because of the inadequate service and there's only two windows open on the top deck... People are falling asleep due to the lack of oxygen, but won't actually think to open the window.
    Wouldn't it be more effective to ask the actual passengers on the actual bus to open the windows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Or stand up and do it yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I've opened four... People should have their own cop on...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Everyone has different temperature tolerances. The amount of people I'm seeing this morning wearing coats I'd only wear in winter is mind boggling. I was roasting after 10 minutes walking and I'm not wearing any jacket.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you are cold you can put something on.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I was on the bus over the weekend and an elderly lady came on and shut all the windows on the bus downstairs and even when someone opened a window again she got up at the next stop and went over and closed it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

My experience is it's usually either too hot or too cold.

Some people throw open all the windows and then get off a few stops later, the bus then heads off down the motorway and the breeze is extreme.

If it starts raining usually it's the people two or three seats back that get wet not those sitting next to the window.

Most people dress to be at a comfortable temperature while walking outside, not sitting outside. If you're sitting on the bus for a while then you'll feel a lot colder than someone that was just running to catch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Can someone explain why Dublin busses aren't air conditioned? Too hot in the summer and can't see your stop or where you are with fogged up windows in the winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

devnull wrote: »
    I was on the bus over the weekend and an elderly lady came on and shut all the windows on the bus downstairs and even when someone opened a window again she got up at the next stop and went over and closed it!

I've killed for less.

The first thing I do when I get on a bus, whatever the weather, is open at least one window.

• Advertisement

sharper wrote: »
    My experience is it's usually either too hot or too cold.

Some people throw open all the windows and then get off a few stops later, the bus then heads off down the motorway and the breeze is extreme.

If it starts raining usually it's the people two or three seats back that get wet not those sitting next to the window.

Most people dress to be at a comfortable temperature while walking outside, not sitting outside. If you're sitting on the bus for a while then you'll feel a lot colder than someone that was just running to catch it.

A temp reading would help a lot to give people perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

devnull wrote: »

Tbf that sounds like a great game. She was goading. Its like X and Os but with Windows.

She was putting him to a challenge but he backed down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The problem is sometimes that someone opens a window directly above their seat which is fine for them, but the people behind them then get blasted in the face with cold air when the bus is moving. Air conditioning is maybe going a step too far in our climate, but at least a better way of circulating fresh air throughout the bus than opening windows should be looked into.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭theyoungchap

Did you not think of maybe getting up on the bus and saying "excuse me, would anybody mind if we open a window" instead of going online and moaning?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

I've killed for less.

The first thing I do when I get on a bus, whatever the weather, is open at least one window.

Your one of those are you? Look there's a foot of snow on the ground, best open a window so the person 3 seats back freezes to death

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Did you not think of maybe getting up on the bus and saying "excuse me, would anybody mind if we open a window" instead of going online and moaning?

Don't be such a clown. I opened four windows, my fellow passengers saw what I was doing and had the opportunity to either follow suit, disagree with me or do **** all...

It's better to come on here as I can reach a wider audience, communicate more effectively rather than make a statement to a few dozen people who I may never be on a bus with again...

This is just about the human idea of looking after one another, and ourselves... Rather than being a drone, with a glum face and no sense of social participation...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Can someone explain why Dublin busses aren't air conditioned? Too hot in the summer and can't see your stop or where you are with fogged up windows in the winter.

Other than in some REALLY hot and sticky locations Full Air Conditioning in Buses is relatively rare.

You may recall London's travails with the New Bus For London a short while back....?

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/air_cooling_system_on_the_wright

TfL explains it quite succinctly here.....
    TfL does not advocate more powerful air cooling systems on buses as it is striking a balance between providing reasonable comfort in normal summer conditions, and minimising exhaust emissions from the fleet that could
    arise from greater fuel consumption.
    Because of the nature of bus
    journeys, cooled air will be lost from the vehicle during the frequent
    intervals at which it stops and the doors open to allow passengers to
    board and alight every few hundred metres on its route.

Full Air-Conditioning and opening doors & windows do not mix well.

Dublin had a VERY early experience of this with the first rear-engined Atlantean vehicles back in 1966,when a new concept of NO opening windows and a very basic temperature control system,did'nt work during one of our short hot summers.

If you get no satisfaction from the NTA,you could try the Bus Shelter people for a possible answer..... ?

https://www.standard.co.uk/lifestyle/london-life/these-antipollution-bus-stops-in-london-let-you-breathe-in-clean-air-a3554676.html

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭thomasj

ongarboy wrote:
    Everyone has different temperature tolerances. The amount of people I'm seeing this morning wearing coats I'd only wear in winter is mind boggling. I was roasting after 10 minutes walking and I'm not wearing any jacket.

Everytime I don't bring my jacket it ends up lashing rain later in the day.

Happened twice last week

I've killed for less.

Depending on your route there might be quite a few people that have been sitting down for 30-40 minutes at the temperature the bus is at when you get on.
    thomasj wrote: »
    Everytime I don't bring my jacket it ends up lashing rain later in the day.

Happened twice last week

Get a light waterproof raincoat that can fit in a backpack, it's the only way to go in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Depending on your route there might be quite a few people that have been sitting down for 30-40 minutes at the temperature the bus is at when you get on.

I get on at the terminus and open as many windows as I can, in the hope that at least some of them stay open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

If you're cold, it's easy to put on more clothes. If you're hot, what are you supposed to do?

Open a window. Stop closing windows because you get a tiny chill when the bus speeds up. Have some respect for the people around you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

hmmm wrote: »
    If you're cold, it's easy to put on more clothes. If you're hot, what are you supposed to do?
    There's an answer just staring you in the face there. It's not pretty though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

It's not Barcelona that's why would be completely unesscary 99% of the time. Other cities have air conditioned buses but they are much hotter than Dublin.

One of the reasons why the GT's are the best buses in the DB fleet nice big windows which let in plenty of air when open unlike the SG's which all have tiny windows.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

ongarboy wrote: »

Lots of South Americans here now. Depending on where, there winters often only get down to around 25c and their summers up to 50c :eek:

25c in South America winter, I'm strolling around in shorts and T-Shirts and they are looking at me like a mad man while wrapped up in thick jumpers and jackets!

You wan't to talk about hot and smelly, try squeezed shoulder to shoulder into a jammed bus in 50c :eek::eek::eek:
    Get a light waterproof raincoat that can fit in a backpack, it's the only way to go in this country.

It is pity we don't have a Uniqlo store here (they do have an online store). Lots of great high tech "travel" clothing from Japan. Stylish goose feather and rain jackets that sqeeze into a very small size to fit into your bag.

Sat on a regional train in Italy for over 2 hours in 35 degree with no air conditioning absolute torture and on a single track line aswell for a large part of the journey so we would stop in the middle of nowhere to let another train pass. If you think DB is bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭h57xiucj2z946q

It is pretty annoying getting on the bus when its a wet humid day and the bus is completely condensated up to the point that you can't see out, no windows open, and everyone just sitting there, marinating in everyones condensation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

Alun wrote: »
    The problem is sometimes that someone opens a window directly above their seat which is fine for them, but the people behind them then get blasted in the face with cold air when the bus is moving. Air conditioning is maybe going a step too far in our climate, but at least a better way of circulating fresh air throughout the bus than opening windows should be looked into.

Slight exaggeration. It gets a bit airy or breezy depending on how may windows are open.
    It is much worse in winter. No windows open while we inhale and regurgitate each others snotty, germ laden breath.
    Enjoy your lunch:pac:

Slight exaggeration. It gets a bit airy or breezy depending on how may windows are open.

It depends on the route. If the bus is going through a built up area with stops every few hundred metres you can barely feel it.

Going down the chapelizoid bypass you'll definitely be very aware of any open windows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,263 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Bluefoam wrote:
    Don't be such a clown. I opened four windows, my fellow passengers saw what I was doing and had the opportunity to either follow suit, disagree with me or do **** all...

Did you ask anybody if they minded?

What would you do if they all said No?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

It is pretty annoying getting on the bus when its a wet humid day and the bus is completely condensated up to the point that you can't see out, no windows open, and everyone just sitting there, marinating in everyones condensation.

This pisses me off no end

I can't do that, i can feel the quality of air that I'm breathing go to ****e and struggle with it... I have to have fresh air going around

See all the condisated crap and water on the inside of the windows ? Yeah you're breathing in that crap with all those windows closed

Other people's smell, clothes , breath etc.

You may aswell he smoking than breath that crap

When I was driving for Dublin bus , I had a trick for all buses which was you could jam open the windows from the outside of the bus so they couldn't close , worked well, plus I had my own cab window open 24/7 rain hail or shine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭brokenarms

This pisses me off no end

I can't do that, i can feel the quality of air that I'm breathing go to ****e and struggle with it... I have to have fresh air going around

See all the condisated crap and water on the inside of the windows ? Yeah you're breathing in that crap with all those windows closed

Other people's smell, clothes , breath etc.

You may aswell he smoking than breath that crap

When I was driving for Dublin bus , I had a trick for all buses which was you could jam open the windows from the outside of the bus so they couldn't close , worked well, plus I had my own cab window open 24/7 rain hail or shine

An open cab window makes it 10X worse.. It draws all the air from the saloon into the cab. As soon as I see a possible stinker, its screen up, window closed, blowers on full and pointed at the cab door. If I even stop.

What is it with old men? Is there a point in life where you just could not be bothered washing anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If one is cold sit as far towards the front so window will not cause an issue.

I always open a couple of windows throughout the bus before I leave the garage as it is amazing where if I don't they would stay closed and there are always the select few especially those with BO and they close them....

Advertisement