Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neck and shoulder pain while cycling!

Options
  • 28-05-2018 8:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭

Not looking for medical advice!
    Over the last few months I have been experiencing neck and shoulder pain while I'm cycling. The pain is localised and can be very "sharp" - worse on the left hand side of my neck and particularly when turning my head to the left. Funny, but if I stop for a coffee and restart it doesn't tend to reappear!
    I used to experience similar pains when I started cycling on the road but they disappeared over time.
    I haven't changed bikes and my routine is similar to the last number of years - I cycle pretty well every day, 250-300 kms per week. I also do approx. 250 push-ups a day to keep my upper body and core strong. Bike-fitted by Aidan Hammond but that was a few years back.
    Can anyone recommend a good stretching routine that I should be doing?
    Not sure that going to my GP would be very beneficial but would certainly consider a sports physio if people would think it would be worthwhile?
    Also wondering whether I may have slowly slipped into bad posture on the bike, maybe holding the bars too tight or similar?
    Feedback would be appreciated!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

C3PO wrote: »
    I haven't changed bikes and my routine is similar to the last number of years - I cycle pretty well every day, 250-300 kms per week. I also do approx. 250 push-ups a day to keep my upper body and core strong.

Sedentary job and cycling a lot will leave you with compromised mobility in all probability.

Post on fitness forum and wait for @transform to respond.
    He was a lot of videos on YouTube under Dominic Munnelly

This is great, pity you can't change the accent!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSSDLDhbacc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Two things could be the problem lack of mobility and a bike fit. As other poster said Dom has some good stuff on line but you might need a good deep tissue massage to free things up then you can work on things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

Have been suffering with lower left back pain myself since Dec last and have been doing exercises to try and eradicate it. Worked well up to about 2 weeks ago and now I have pain between left shower and neck. By trial and error I think I have it down to the latest bike purchased at end of last Sept. Have a bike fit booked with Aidan on 13th June, hopefully it will sort it.

How long ago did you have your bike fit, our body changes due to age

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Try rolling on a foam roller. I find that really helps.

I saw even Aldi was selling them at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,822 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

We call that Oldus Ageus... :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Try adding some planks to the push up, or instead of the push ups. I imagine if you have shoulder pain, push ups may only ad to the issues. If doing planks, get the positioning/technique spot on though, otherwise it's a waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    We call that Oldus Ageus... :D

I'm in denial ....:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭mollser

Hey C3PO, you should give an Oesteopath a crack - whenever I have a bit of back or neck twinge they sort it out in one or two sessions. Can't recommend it enough! It's different to physio as in they loosen up joints and parts of your skeleton that are stiff and are triggering discomfort, rather than working on the area that's sore. It sounds like quack stuff but I found (and some others in the office here) that it really works. Haven't had to go for a couple of years actually.

I use these guys in Blackrock http://morehealth.ie/

Cheers

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,592 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

C3PO wrote: »
    Not sure that going to my GP would be very beneficial but would certainly consider a sports physio if people would think it would be worthwhile?
    Also wondering whether I may have slowly slipped into bad posture on the bike, maybe holding the bars too tight or similar?
    !

If you were Cork/Munster based I would say visit this guy
    thebikefitphysio.com/
    John is a chartered physiotherapist who also does bike fitting, he would be ideal for you.

If not I'd be inclined to go to a good physio for an assessment and get him/her to work with a good trainer on your mobility. Munnelly or one of his trainers would be my choice, but you will have a lot of good choices in Dublin.

Mobility is the bottom of the pyramid, no point adding other strength routines or continuing with existing very one dimensional one until that is sorted. Almost for certain your hip mobility will be sh1te, that can cause issues in lots of places

Be prepared to dial way back on bike for a month or so(maybe just commute) and give free time to new routine.

If you are getting long in tooth you should be adding some strength routine anyway; but sort issue first and get mobility right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkXwfTsqQgQ

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭QueensGael

If you've been wearing a peaked cap under the helmet, or use one of those clip-on shades on your helmet, you might be straining your neck a tiny bit more than usual to lift your head up a bit higher to see ahead, which could be causing the pain. It's something I noticed when moving from winter to summer cycling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ford2600 wrote: »
    If you are getting long in tooth you should be adding some strength routine anyway; but sort issue first and get mobility right.

Agreed, and maybe look at strength exercises that incorporate a good range of motion rather than just press-ups. Personally, I find kettle bells good for this (swings, russian twists, get-ups, etc...) but it is worth going to a coach initially to learn good technique and have your technique corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,329 ✭✭✭secman

I have a bike fit appointment booked for Wed week with Aidan Hammond, I pretty much have it nailed diwn to one particular bike; the last one in, late Sept 17. I've used the other 2 with no neck pain. Hopefully the bike fit will sort me out.

Advertisement