Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your fantastic food memories!

• 28-05-2018 9:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Kids these days are exposed to so many types of food.
    A little kid in the shop the other day was asking his Mum to buy him Papaya.
    Papaya!?? It was far from papaya we were reared!

Jam sambos for lunch, and spuds and meat were our staple growing up.
    But the odd time you'd get something out of the ordinary.
    Maybe a neighbour up the road was having rice! the madness of it all! Sure he'd probably turn Chinese!

For me, I'll never for my first Goodfellas pizza.
    It was World Cup 1994, Ireland Vs Italy, and we were all kids around in my mates place, when his Mum cooked up 'The Big Cheese' pizza.
    Before that, we may have had those yellow pack pizzas in a pack of 10, but this was something else. Big thick bready base, with cheese overflowing and burning your mouth and it slide off the red, herby sauce that would stain your white Ireland away top like a b*tch!
    Oh how we thought we were kings of kings!

Any food related memories stick vividly in your head?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Green Curry in Koh Samet, Thailand. Cost about one euro. Best meal ever and I doubt I will get a better one at 100 times the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

'80s teatime often included Fish Fingers,Vesta Curry or the legendary Findus Crispy Pancakes.

Not all at once of course.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

Johnston, Mooney & O’Brien chocolate pies, my absolute favorite snacks. Unfortunately I haven’t seen one in decades.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I can remember spaghetti bolognese and chicken curry that were frozen in bags that you had to boil to heat through. Crispy pancakes. And I swear I can remember a Goodfellas pizza that had peach on it , would have been early 90s. No one else can remember it though :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Sausage sandwiches as kids on holidays....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

First time having a spice bag...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Not so much a happy memory, more like a nightmare, but I remember being given cucumber and cress sandwiches as a child. Horrific.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

Koka noodles... curry flavour...manna from heaven!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭4Ad

My mothers homemade chips we had every Friday.
    Findus Pancakes, now theres a blast from the past !
    The filling would burn the mouth off you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Passion4Food, Clanbrassil Street, each and every time I go there. Men who care deeply about the art of the kebab.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Ipso wrote: »
    Green Curry in Koh Samet, Thailand. Cost about one euro. Best meal ever and I doubt I will get a better one at 100 times the price.

Similar experience here in Thailand with Green Curry. The best I ever had. I came close to madness trying to find it here in the Ireland, but they just can’t get the spices right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My mum;s lemon meringue pie.. Lancashire vanilla slices ( nothing like they sell here),, ditto custard pies..

Second childhood here; large birthday on Monday next and they are marking it with a PUBLIC HOLIDAY!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

About 20 years ago I was in Prague, back then you would just arrive and walk towards Muzeum and you were guaranteed to find somewhere to sleep. Met an old Czech army soldier and he took me to his place in the suburbs. Next to it was the most amazing little Czech restaurant, food for only 3 or 4 pounds back then. Still can taste the orange duck I had there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

There are few greater pleasures than standing outside Friar Tucks in Newry steaming after a session devouring a chicken supreme meal. Complete and total bliss. Not a care in the world. There are few things that will ever beat it for me.

First barbecue stands out. First takeaway pizza.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭badabing106

First pitch black charcoal burnt barbecued sausage. Heaven

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

I remember when I was in third class in school my dad collected me early on my birthday and brought me to McDonald's.

It was great because we didn't do much together because he was always working.

God I miss my dad!!

He's not dead or anything, just haven't seen him in about 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

whiskeyman wrote: »
    For me, I'll never for my first Goodfellas pizza.
    It was World Cup 1994, Ireland Vs Italy, and we were all kids around in my mates place, when his Mum cooked up 'The Big Cheese' pizza.
    Before that, we may have had those yellow pack pizzas in a pack of 10, but this was something else. Big thick bready base, with cheese overflowing and burning your mouth and it slide off the red, herby sauce that would stain your white Ireland away top like a b*tch!
    Oh how we thought we were kings of kings!

Those Goodfellas pizzas were amazing. I lived on them for years!!! Why did they ever have to change the recipe? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

4Ad wrote: »
    My mothers homemade chips we had every Friday.
    Findus Pancakes, now theres a blast from the past !
    The filling would burn the mouth off you.

Didn't they do a chicken curry flavour pancake? Filling was hotter than the sun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

Ush1 wrote: »
    Didn't they do a chicken curry flavour pancake? Filling was hotter than the sun!

You are correct on both counts, they did a chicken curry flavour, and the filling was hotter than the sun!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

DMcL1971 wrote: »
    Johnston, Mooney & O’Brien chocolate pies, my absolute favorite snacks. Unfortunately I haven’t seen one in decades.

mr kipling, bramley apple ....AND CUSTARD.... pies.

they discontinued them after several orgasm related deaths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Rum truffle from Anne's Hot Bread Shop, greatest thing on the planet

21/25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭TooObvious

10 years ago I had the pleasure of cycling the Kellogs Tour of Ireland, on the 3rd day we cycled from Galway to Kilkenny - 244km. We had to climb the Silvermines on the way - it was a hot day and we were all suffering, the final climb up to the food stop was super steep and had people dismounting and walking/crying/contemplating life etc. Somehow i made it to the top without getting off. Anyway, at the top there was a food stop, now, being from Longford and a fussy eater I had never had pineapple, that day we were provided with freshly cut and cold, pineapple slices - Sweet mother of divine baby jebus I had never tasted anything as good in my life! I must have wolfed down half a pineapple before leaving. I'll never forget that day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

Poutine. I miss poutine so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Clearly this isn't a minor issue with you either, you're the first thing to pop up when I googled them! :D

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057565298

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

On a school trip during 5th year to Paris.

The hotel we stayed at was modest given the budget but the freshly made croissants we had every morning there were absolutely lovely, proper melt in your mouth ones.

23 years later, I've never tasted any croissant half as nice as they were.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

My mum was a great cook. We grew up eating Indian, Chinese and Italian foods regularly. Not the Vesta packet muck, all scratch made. This was in the early 70s in very rural Ireland. Most of my friends only had spaghetti from a tin and rice was boiled in milk for pudding.

No matter how I tweak her handwritten recipes, I can never get them to taste the same :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

Ice Creams 'back in the day', When they were made of real Ice Cream.

Gollybars (non PC now), Loop the Loops, Wibbly Wobbly Wonders. All fantastic when originally out. (Actually all those names are probably now objectionable to someone)

Forget your Magnums and your Ben & Jerry's sugar fructose E-numbered ****e.

Bring back the good stuff!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Slice of pizza from Sacco's in Hells Kitchen, New York. Proper old Italian family place, it was made fresh on the spot. You could collect it from the window and stroll down the street eating it. It was Christmas time too. Majestic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

My first doner kebab when I was about 8 or so.
    My mother brought 2 weirdly shaped things home, wrapped in tin-foil. It had the shape of the quarter of a circle.
    I was curious and a bit disgusted at the same time, I've never seen anything like it before, bread filled with meat and veg and a yogurt sauce.
    But my sister and I split one of the two and I was taken away, instant love.
    Now I haven't had one in a good while, because after long and hard research I found this place at home that just does the best, the take-away sh1te here in Ireland doesn't live up to it.

Man I want one right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,691 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

when the local deli started selling pizza bases in the 80's , going to some of the chains that opened up back in the day like Dunkin Doughnuts , Eddie Rockets. jaysus I probably sound like an auld one going on about their first banana after the war

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

When Pizza Hut, and Pizza Express first started their All You Can Eat Buffet, and eating competitions amoungst your friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Realtai

I had an amazing chicken sandwich with mayonnaise when I was about 6, in Dublin Airport. Haven't had anything like it, before or since.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Crisp or sausage sandwiches were the bees knees

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 432 ✭✭iHungry

When seven eleven opened up the road and my pocket money allowed me to try microwave chips for the first time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Had Lahmacun in Instanbul, very yummy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

In 2007, I worked in Birmingham with a daily per diem for food of £25.

Every Thursday, myself and two colleagues would have a cheap breakfast and lunch, in order to save the expense rate to have an Indian meal in one of the best restaurants, Ashas, in the city centre. Their Biryani was absolutely gorgeous and those were good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

biko wrote: »

Most of the food in Istanbul is fantastic.

The food in the main restaurant in monart is amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I was backpacking south east Asia last year and had some amazing food. On my hundredth day travelling I was in Vientiane, and found a very well reviewed American BBQ style place. Facebooked them explaining that I couldn't pick one thing from their menu, and would they give me a wee bit of everything for $20 delivered, which they did. Got enough food for 2 people easily - Burger, ribs, wings, mozzarella sticks, fries, dippers, about 8 different hot sauces, sausage, was brilliant. The difference from the (amazing) food I'd been eating up til that point made it all the better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭Pretzill

I remember them they were delicious - don't think they make them anymore :-(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

On a family holiday in Scotland years ago, we got a load of cambozola that they were selling off cheap in the local shop because no-one liked it.

So.

Much.

Cheese.

Cheesy heaven it was :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

These. Unbelievably good. I only ever got them in my school's tuck shop. 30 years since I've saw one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

biko wrote: »

Reminds me of another really nice moment: Travelled Georgia (the country) for a few weeks, now that was a good few years ago and dealing with Georgians can be a bit of a pain because many are not very approachable. Anyway, we did our last 2 days in Tbilisi and we were on the hunt for some food. We ended up in a backyard Turkish restaurant, with like a huge meat display and lots of TVs playing Turkish pop in the restaurant area upstairs. Now the waitress didn't speak a word english but she took us downstairs to the display and shows us a few things, one of them a Lahmacun.
    Ordered one to share as starter, it was absolutely mindblowing!
    We had a few shish kebabs after that with sides, it was hands down one of the best meals out I've ever had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Showing my age here, but the first time that I every encountered real garlic bread was a real eye opener! Although we occasionally had a curry of sorts, my ma wouldn't have ever contemplated allowing garlic into our house - dat was for foreigners!

I also remember my first introduction to pizza which occurred while on a football trip to Liverpool. Couldn't even pronounce the word, let alone understand what the fuss was about! Anyway, I wanted steak and chips!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Cans of Campbell's Chicken Stew

Succulent pieces of chicken and potatoes and carrots

Lived on it back on the day seemed healthy enough compared today's crap

Can't understand why it's no longer on the shelves

Also Green Isle slices of pizza

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Teat Time Express Australian layer cake was the nicest shop bought cake ever. They did a pineapple one and a coffee one too and others probably but they didn't come close. The bakery closed in 2012 after 70 odd years , God I miss that cake :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭cloudatlas

Maverick bars!
    Also Marks and Spencer did a white chocolate torte that was divine but also discontinued.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

My Lemon cheesecake. My favourite dessert second to baked alaska.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

whiskeyman wrote: »
    Big thick bready base, with cheese overflowing and burning your mouth and it slide off the red, herby sauce that would stain your white Ireland away top like a b*tch!

Goodfella's Deep Pan Pepperoni. Despite being a bit of a pizza snob, (make my own from scratch as do my parents who owned a pizzeria once upon a time), I'll always turn to Goodfella's in times of need.

We grew up in a shop, Saturday evenings were spent stocking shelfs up until Match of the Day. The Deep Pan's would be timed to perfection for the opening theme tune. My parents and 3 brothers would just sit there in bready bliss every Saturday night. It was our ritual and about the only time we weren't knocking lumps out of each other.

Somehow my father managed to cook 4 of them in the oven at once.

Another one is also bread related. As soon as the baker arrived to the shop with some fresh white batch loafs, I would fire up the meat slicer and cut myself some thinly sliced Brady's Ham. Fresh batch, plenty of butter, fresh ham and a sprinkle of salt. Just beautiful.

Somehow my father let me operate the meat slicing from the age of 8.

• Advertisement
Advertisement