Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your fantastic food memories!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

The McDonnell's Curry Meals were a classic mid '80s treat.

A teenaged me enjoyed these immensely.:D

Then the awful tragedy happened......

Packets came with 'New Improved Recipe' written on them.

It was like watching your favorite pub burn to the ground.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,360 ✭✭✭Lorelli!

Not the food itself but my mother was making a roast chicken and she left it on the kitchen counter.

Either the window or the back door was open and a local stray cat got in and devoured it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭Corvo

Roy of the Rovers bars. Sure, they were probably radioactive, but who wants to live forever anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Corvo wrote: »
    Roy of the Rovers bars. Sure, they were probably radioactive, but who wants to live forever anyway.

Great for getting rid of baby teeth too :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

Fillet steak with empanadas and a 1984 Malbec at the foot of the Andes in Mendoza... It was the best meal by far. I also remember eating in Belcanto in Budapest with the singing waiters and incredible food.

As a kid, getting the variety pack of cereal at Christmas was a big treat as we had cornflakes or porridge every morning. We would also be treated to a burger and chips in New York New York on Henry street when we went Christmas shopping.

On our birthday we would get a chop and that was considered the height of luxury!

Getting my first proper stew with lamb pieces and not mince was a revelation.

Also getting Tayto or King crisps on holidays instead of manky Ma Reilly's

I do agree that my first ever goodfellas pizza was an experience as was my first Chinese but I think I was really blown away by my first proper Indian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

+1 for the old ice creams.

Brunch in particular, now it's sparsely coated back then you'd have a job getting through the coating.

I really miss the old Dairy Milk with the gold foil. Damn that chocolate was good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,046 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

I remember going on a school tour to see Close Encounters Of the Third Kind in the Savoy Cinema in Dublin when I was about 11.
    We were coming from Drogheda.
    The first thing we all did was went to Burgerland. This was my first time in an American style burger joint. There were no McDonalds or BK in those days so Burgerland was the closest Dublin got to these in 1977.
    Burger, fries and a strawberry shake. It was absolutely delicious to an 11 year old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 398 ✭✭Herpes Free Since03

I remember going on a school tour to see Close Encounters Of the Third Kind in the Savoy Cinema in Dublin when I was about 11.
    We were coming from Drogheda.
    The first thing we all did was went to Burgerland. This was my first time in an American style burger joint. There were no McDonalds or BK in those days so Burgerland was the closest Dublin got to these in 1977.
    Burger, fries and a strawberry shake. It was absolutely delicious to an 11 year old.

Ah American style.....
    Candie... give em what they want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭Sinister Kid

My first taste of bacon after 15 years as a vegetarian

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭lardzeppelin

In no particular order...
    My first....
    Ginsters pasties...
    Packet of scampi and lemon 'nik-naks'...
    Chicken vindaloo in portsmouth (1977)...
    Donner kebab in London (1977)...
    King prawn curry with fried rice in bognor (oh look, 1977)...
    Proper mousaka made by Greeks in *bognor* (yawn 1977)...
    Paiella made by my mates Spanish dad in bognor (1976, just to be different)...
    And finally, the best Indian restaurant going, the kashmir Indian restaurant, palmetston road, southsea...every meal an experience...

Advertisement