Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticknock MTB Trails

Options
  • 28-05-2018 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭

Just a heads up for anyone planning a trip to Ticknock with all the good weather we've been having - the bottom loop (Metro) from aerials to carpark was closed over the weekend. The bottom part of the new/lower top loop is also closed so that's a fair bit of the official Coillte trails closed. No signage to say when re-opening but the bottom part of the new/lower top loop will take some time to be ready by the look of it.

Climbing trail (first on the right as you cycle up the tarmac towards aerials) is still fine.

Also for anyone who hasn't been up in a while - Ewok is essantially gone - they cut down the forest. Also the "jump" trail comes to an abrupt stop where the forest at the bombhole has been nuked.

Pic attached with notes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

I was up there yesterday and the upper trail seemed to be fully open. Last thursday there were signs saying to dismount but they were gone yesterday. Also, new ending is much nicer than the old one.

In terms of the lower trail from the aerials, just duck into the woods before the first right turn and follow an 'alternate' route right to the bottom. Much nicer trail than the Coillte one and in great nick at the moment.

On the plus side, great to see that they're at least maintaining the trails. That lower Coillte one has needed a bit of work for a while now. Would nearly rattle the fillings out of your head it was so bumpy. Now if only they would put in a nicer link between the bottom of the upper trail and the top of the lower one. That fire road is so dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,433 ✭✭✭Gerry

Long overdue. What's of more concern is all the felling.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭steamsey

I grew to love the lower trail - used to not think much of it but there are some good lines and a few little jumps to try once you got to know it. Found it to be pretty fast. Hope they don't change / pedestrianise it too much

When I was up over the weekend and lower tail was closed, I jumped onto the Boneshaker, straight down to the Dreamer. It's a nice run but would have been a lot more fun if I knew the Boneshaker better. I know that alternate trail off the lower - good to hear it's riding well. Was in a jock last time I tried it - but that was few months back.

The amount of felling is nuts. Plenty of trails gone including pretty much everything that led to the Bombhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,821 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Gerry wrote: »
    Long overdue. What's of more concern is all the felling.

True of course, though Coillte's primary business and concern is harvesting of forestry and production of wood products, Ticknock/3Rock is a factory site.

Dublin is just so lucky that we have private operators building good trails with proper facilities in place, i.e. GAP bike park, otherwise you'd be left with the poor attempts Coillte make.

Such a shame that Coillte refuse to properly develop all there lands around 3Rock as a proper recreational facility for Walkers, horse riders, cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

How are the Ticknock trails for a 13 yr old, and his fragile Da? Compared to, say, the Blue Trails in the Gap?

• Advertisement

cjt156 wrote: »
    How are the Ticknock trails for a 13 yr old, and his fragile Da? Compared to, say, the Blue Trails in the Gap?

There is nothing to worry about on the official trails at Ticknock - they are good trails and like any trail, the more you know them the more you can get out of them in terms of speed and little jumps etc. Everything can be rolled, there's no drops / big jumps - they're pretty predictable.

You can take them at your leisure so suitable for all riders. Compared to the blue GAP trail, you can expect more rocks, and a slightly more natural feel but similar difficulty level.

The newish climbing trail (on right as you cycle up tarmac towards aerials) is a good push and good for training / cardio with a nice fast twisty section at the end.

Only when you go "off piste" on Ticknock can it start to get a bit gnarly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    True of course, though Coillte's primary business and concern is harvesting of forestry and production of wood products, Ticknock/3Rock is a factory site.

Dublin is just so lucky that we have private operators building good trails with proper facilities in place, i.e. GAP bike park, otherwise you'd be left with the poor attempts Coillte make.

Such a shame that Coillte refuse to properly develop all there lands around 3Rock as a proper recreational facility for Walkers, horse riders, cyclists.

Just a thought on this; here in Sheffield there is a very active advocacy group (Ride Sheffield) who have put in a lot of effort to build up a good working relationship with the local woodland trusts, councils, etc. regards land-use & development, organise build days for trail maintenance, etc. Is there any such advocacy groups in or around Dublin? Or is it mostly left to private enterprise to push for trails with Coilte?

Lemming wrote: »
    Just a thought on this; here in Sheffield there is a very active advocacy group (Ride Sheffield) who have put in a lot of effort to build up a good working relationship with the local woodland trusts, councils, etc. regards land-use & development, organise build days for trail maintenance, etc. Is there any such advocacy groups in or around Dublin? Or is it mostly left to private enterprise to push for trails with Coilte?

That's a long story with regards to Dublin!

Let's just say Coillte have no communication with the general MTB population.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭saccades

Always preferred the lower trail at ticknock, more fun at the bottom.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've always been a bit confused about Ticknock, as far as I was aware there was an upper and lower official trail, then Boneshaker and Dreamtrack. Although this was a few years ago.

Now it looks like there's a second lower trail, and a trail on the way up?

This is a bit of a kick in the balls though, I was up on the lower trail last week in a rental bike. First time I've been up there in 5 years with plans of going back every couple of weeks to get back into it, then buy my own bike. The upper trail is too tricky for me.

• Advertisement

Top section of the Coillte Ticknock trails have been completed, new design from previous.
    Also work has begun on the lower section Metro to remove the rocky worn out mess it had been up until now..

DaveyDave wrote: »
    I've always been a bit confused about Ticknock, as far as I was aware there was an upper and lower official trail, then Boneshaker and Dreamtrack. Although this was a few years ago.

Now it looks like there's a second lower trail, and a trail on the way up?

This is a bit of a kick in the balls though, I was up on the lower trail last week in a rental bike. First time I've been up there in 5 years with plans of going back every couple of weeks to get back into it, then buy my own bike. The upper trail is too tricky for me.

There are four official trails. There are two "upper trails". One is an older one that starts out exposed, bit of a climb up, then pretty rocky descent. Another is newer one (there a few years now though) called Euroservices unofficially, that tracks lower than the old upper one. Both of these then join for a final section that brings you to fire road, to climb back to aerials. On the climb back to aerials there are plenty of unofficial trails on the right and left.

Then there is the bottom loop, or Metro, which is being repaired at the moment.

The newest official trail is the "climbing trail" - not sure what people are calling it. It's on the right as you are climbing up main tarmac road towards aerials from carpark.

Boneshaker and Dreamtrack are still in use - Dreamtrack has been fixed up a little with some serious gorse grooming on the final section.

So there is only one "lower trail" - Metro - and it's just under repair so don't get disheartened. Honestly if you can do Metro, you can do either of the top trails. To my mind there is no significant difference of difficulty between all of the official trails - if you can do one, you can do them all. Get yourself a bike and stay at it.

Top section of the Coillte Ticknock trails have been completed, new design from previous.
    Also work has begun on the lower section Metro to remove the rocky worn out mess it had been up until now..

So top loop section that was closed with "Riders Dismount" sign is fully open?

steamsey wrote: »
    So top loop section that was closed with "Riders Dismount" sign is fully open?

I believe so....

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭comanche_cor

I believe so....

I was up there at the weekend and was open. Some of the hardcore on the corners was not fully packed down at that stage but was rolling really nicely.

I was up there at the weekend and was open. Some of the hardcore on the corners was not fully packed down at that stage but was rolling really nicely.

Just needs a bit of rain to bed it down, which we'll get over the next few days, hopefully there won't be too many braking bumps created in the meantime..

Was up Ticknock last night on the bottom loop / Metro now that it has been fixed up. I have to say it's pants. The old trail was great fun - rocks, plenty of features, little jumps. This one is a very boring, near flat, glorified fire road and I can't see it improving over time. I think they've ruined it and made it waaay to easy. Such a shame - they should have spent their time and money building a new trail and leaving this one alone.

Also the bottom half of the top section of Ticknock is finished and again - has been smoothed out. More like a crap bike park trail than the natural one that was there. Still plenty of loose hardcore on the new bits too which makes them a bit unpredictable. Not a good few months for Ticknock MTB - they felled a lot and demolished half the unofficial trails and now have done this to the official trails.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Was up Ticknock last night on the bottom loop / Metro now that it has been fixed up. I have to say it's pants. The old trail was great fun - rocks, plenty of features, little jumps. This one is a very boring, near flat, glorified fire road and I can't see it improving over time. I think they've ruined it and made it waaay to easy. Such a shame - they should have spent their time and money building a new trail and leaving this one alone.

Also the bottom half of the top section of Ticknock is finished and again - has been smoothed out. More like a crap bike park trail than the natural one that was there. Still plenty of loose hardcore on the new bits too which makes them a bit unpredictable. Not a good few months for Ticknock MTB - they felled a lot and demolished half the unofficial trails and now have done this to the official trails.

Its to open the sport up to kids and novices. Ticknock was not designed for kids or novice riders so making the trails more beginner friendly is a good thing. Plenty of trails up there to push yourself on, sure world number 3 enduro rider learned his trade in ticknock.

I think you sound a bit to fast and extreme for ticknock anyway so no harm you not being there anymore destroying strava times....

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

It's beginner-friendly, which is a good thing. If you want a challenge, there's hundreds of kilometres of unnoficial trails across Dublin and Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Have to disagree with this. I always hated the old Metro. It was bumpy as hell but not steep enough to carry much speed. I love all the new berms they've added. Very fast and flowy, but accessible for newbies. I brought my teenage nephew up last Saturday and he loved that trail in particular. Hopefully it's a sign of Coillte trails to come and the Slieve Blooms have something similar.

If you like rocky natural trails there are dozens of options in Ticknock.

• Advertisement

IMO bumpy = actual mountain biking! It wasn't the easy stuff that got me into this sport - it was the stuff I never thought I'd be able to do and then one day did. If I'd stuck to safe, beginner friendly trails when I started out, I doubt I'd still be on a bike. That sense of satisfaction from improvement got me hooked. I can't see how current Metro offers much by way of a challenge and I think they should have left it alone and built a separate beginner trail if that's what people are looking for. I'm not saying don't build beginner friendly trails - just not at the expense of decent ones that non beginners could really enjoy too.

It was an interesting trail. I used to dislike it, but then figured out how to ride it properly and used to rip down it - as fast as anything else on Ticknock. It forced you to go fast, and pick the right lines otherwise you'd get bumped all over the place. Taught me the importance of speed to get over obstacles and to keep the front wheel in a straight line. I learned a lot on that trail.

I really hope this is not the exclusive future of Coillte trails. I know there are plenty of unofficial trails around - I ride them all too. But Metro was a great finisher at the end of a run up there if I wasn't doing the Dreamtrack and now it's bland and forgettable (for me).

Totally get that not everyone has the same view but I can't be the only one that thinks this is a step backwards.

Was up Ticknock last night on the bottom loop / Metro now that it has been fixed up. I have to say it's pants.

That's high-larious! :D:D:D

I've been using the Coillte trails for the past 7 years and have to say the new design is great! Nice drifty corners to test the skill, and it's much faster and more flowy, with all the berms etc. there's no mistaking it for a walking trail like the last one..

So.. If you feel it's not a challenge for you?

Well, go ride it on a rigid 26'er MTB with narrow bars and canti's, kids these days are spoilt with modern geometry, bigger wheels, strong disc brakes and fantastic suspension shocks with 160mm of travel, making an easy job of challenging terrain, not to mention wide grippy tyres that stick to rock, roots and gravel! No wonder you feel it and the DT is "boring" your bike is doing all the work, you're just a passenger!

Anyone who moans about the trails also generally hasn't got out with a shovel in the dead of winter and created their own decent "bandit" trails if the official ones don't suit! And think that MTB trails just build and maintain themselves!

Anyhoo, I will agree that the "Tom's Climb" is an awful Coillte track, boring broken up climb.. And also the top Euroservice trail usually puts me asleep and I wake up only for the descent!
    However when it's icy and snowy everywhere else that trail is usually clear and usable..

That's high-larious! :D:D:D

I've been using the Coillte trails for the past 7 years and have to say the new design is great! Nice drifty corners to test the skill, and it's much faster and more flowy, with all the berms etc. there's no mistaking it for a walking trail like the last one..

So.. If you feel it's not a challenge for you?

Well, go ride it on a rigid 26'er MTB with narrow bars and canti's, kids these days are spoilt with modern geometry, bigger wheels, strong disc brakes and fantastic suspension shocks with 160mm of travel, making an easy job of challenging terrain, not to mention wide grippy tyres that stick to rock, roots and gravel! No wonder you feel it and the DT is "boring" your bike is doing all the work, you're just a passenger!

Anyone who moans about the trails also generally hasn't got out with a shovel in the dead of winter and created their own decent "bandit" trails if the official ones don't suit! And think that MTB trails just build and maintain themselves!

Anyhoo, I will agree that the "Tom's Climb" is an awful Coillte track, boring broken up climb.. And also the top Euroservice trail usually puts me asleep and I wake up only for the descent!
    However when it's icy and snowy everywhere else that trail is usually clear and usable..

Glad to hear you like the new trail. The bike you're suggesting I ride on is exactly what I started out on and rode for years, so no need for me to go there again. The view that new bikes do all the work and the rider is just a passenger is easily shattered. It's the rider that matters, not the bike. In any case, you could ride a road bike down the new Metro it's so bland.

Tom's Climb as you call it is a savage trail for getting the fitness up, great cardio with a very fast finish once you get to know it. The top Euroservice trail is decent once you really get to know it, if it's putting you to sleep that's not the trail's fault - there are plenty of hard corners, little jumps to practice on. Not to mention you can bail off at several points to the left and do some natural trails (that were on the Enduros).

These aren't facts, just my views. As long as you're pushing yourself on the bike and looking for challenges to make you a better rider, then more power to you.

I loved the lower stages of the old metro, new swoopy bits are boring, have to go warp speed and really commit to get any buzz and if you **** it up...

It just reminds me of a scalectrix (sp) track, round and round until the car flies off and smashes against the sideboard.

I'm trying to remember any tricky stuff on the old metro that wasn't newbie friendly, everything was rollable and with obstacles a decent distance from each other.

Now you have non-rollable doubles which are **** for beginners and intermediate alike coupled with berms full of marbles.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

saccades wrote: »
    I loved the lower stages of the old metro, new swoopy bits are boring, have to go warp speed and really commit to get any buzz and if you **** it up...

It just reminds me of a scalectrix (sp) track, round and round until the car flies off and smashes against the sideboard.

I'm trying to remember any tricky stuff on the old metro that wasn't newbie friendly, everything was rollable and with obstacles a decent distance from each other.

Now you have non-rollable doubles which are **** for beginners and intermediate alike coupled with berms full of marbles.

Berms full of marbles is a fair point, hopefully they'll get swept as the trail beds in, some corners are a bit loose right now. But the doubles are all completely rollable at lower speeds.

I think ye have very little to complain about!! :rolleyes:

You haven't met my mother in law...

Advertisement